Chad on the Trading block?

Kazkal

....first i don't think we'll get the value that mike brown wants (he reportedly turned down two firsts from the skins last year).....

Get your facts straight if you're going to imply OTHERS don't know what they're talking about. The rejected offer was a 1st and a conditional 3rd. And that's exactly the type of offer that some of us feel will be matched or better IF the Bengals openly attempt to trade Chad this season. Whether they even shop him is another matter because I've seen nothing to make me think they will. But if they do I'm betting on the higher trade compensation while you seem to think

That said, I don't care how many hundreds of times I read someone pop off about how Chad isn't worth more than a 4th or a 5th....because I have no problem whatsoever saying you're all remarkably wrong.

whoa there guy. . . the conditional third could have been a first if certain levels of production were achieved.

also i've never said that chad is only worth a 4th or 5th round pick, i just don't think he's worth two firsts or a first and a second or really even a first and a third. i'd say a second round pick is about right or maybe a low first. and if he keeps his head on straight he's worth more to us than the picks we'd get for him.

please don't lump me in with those that hate on chad, he's one of the best to wear stripes and his production last year had more to do with lingering injuries and a QB that couldn't get the ball to him. i have no doubt that he can return to his old form.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If RWilliams can get a #1 from the Cowboys and he hasn't done sh*t since he came in the league, and you have a 5 time PB'er who has led the AFC in yardage 4 years stright, which by the way NO OTHER WR HAS EVER DONE, why can't we get at least a #1 pick from somebody...CJohnson had a bad year, but 1 year does not negate what he has done in the past...If CPalmer played all year do we have this discussion about CJohnson not worth a #1 pick?

whoa there guy. . . the conditional third could have been a first if certain levels of production were achieved.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. You said the offer was two 1st round picks and that isn't accurate.

also i've never said that chad is only worth a 4th or 5th round pick.....

True enough. Let the permanent record show it was the idiot Bearcat, not the beloved Baraka, who uttered that nugget of mind numbing stupidity. Let the record also show that Bearcat wasn't the first to do so, and won't be the last. Finally, let the record show that the limit for stupidity on that particular subject has been exceeded and will no longer be tolerated.

i just don't think he's worth two firsts or a first and a second or really even a first and a third.

Fair enough. Our opinions differ. But by how much?

i'd say a second round pick is about right or maybe a low first.

So we're in the same ballpark. Not close, but....

and if he keeps his head on straight he's worth more to us than the picks we'd get for him.

Well, if he's worth more than the picks they'd get then why would the Bengals trade him? They wouldn't, right? So if you were attempting to trade for Chad and you knew all of this ask yourself what might you do to further entice the Bengals to change their minds? (Huge Hint: Improve your offer or hit the bricks.)

please don't lump me in with those that hate on chad.....

Just to be clear, I'm a Chad hater. In fact, I may have been one of the first. That said, he's worth what he's worth and anyone who wants the opportunity to hate him for themselves will have to pay a fair market price for the priviledge.

Little case of distemper Hair? Out of your sedative prescription?

You go dream on Hair that Chad will fetch 2 1st round picks or a 1st and 2ed round or a 1st and 3rd round.

Well what's the alternative? Should I sit here and listen to you repeat some of the dumbest s**t that's ever been typed?

Again, if the Bengals put Chad on the block they'll get as good a trade offer as the one they previously turned down. Whether that happens or not is anyones guess, but you've got to be as dumb as Peter King to think Chad nets only a 3rd or a 4th.

Are you that dumb? Or are you sarcastically challenged?

Hair, I look forward to typing more of the dumbest sh*t you've ever seen. A guy that gets as excited over posts on this site as you do is nuts. You're an embarrassing yourself.

Hair, I look forward to typing more of the dumbest sh*t you've ever seen.

As if you had some choice in the matter.

A guy that gets as excited over posts on this site as you do is nuts.

I'm not excited. In fact, I'm bored. Bored to tears from reading one dumbs**t repeat the same tired line of crap as the dumbs**t before him.

You're an embarrassing yourself.

Impossible, and poorly worded to boot. The whole HairOnFire persona is built on the idea of ignoring the feelings of others so completely that their thoughts and opinions count for nothing unless they agree with my own. Thus, it's of absolutely no consequence if I happen to fall short of your expectations and impossible for me to feel even a hint of shame or embarrassment.

h.o.f. , you insulting me doesn't change the fact that Chad flushed his marketability down the toilet in less than 2 years.

You can keep dreaming, and keep getting mad when reality dispels your Bengal related delusions one after another.

But insulting me won't make Chad suddenly worth a 1st rounder again. That ship has sailed. I could tell you the reasons why the Lions got a 1st for Williams, and how that is apples and oranges compared to the Chad situation, but deep down you probably already know that too.

Take it out on Ocho Cinco...

Roy:6 years 5 Crap sub 800 yard seasons 1 good(2006) so 2 year's of no production he still gets a 1st rounder

Chad:8 1bad season 1 rookie season 6years of 1100+ yards 5 Probowls

Ya...Chad is the 5th or 4th rounder for sure...

less than 2 years.

2 Years? I could have swore he threw his fit at the start of last offseason making it one year which he was coming off of a 1440 yard season....He got nicked up & people know he's unhappy but some owner just may feel like they can please Chad and get a 1300-1400 yard season and peppy WR who sells jerseys...

I'd like for the Bengals trade Chad, but only for the future of the Franchise. I don't want, say Jerome Simpson, to develop into a Chad the way Chad has almost developed into a Pickens.

In interest of the 2009 season, it is better for Chad to be playing in Cincinnati. Right now, he is the only proven commodity, assuming T.J. is gone.

Who knows if he'll ever be a Top-5 receiver again but you have to think his skills haven't regressed that much from the '07 season, where he had Franchise record-breaking season (although I think it was maybe his 3rd best season overall, considering his game-to-game play).

If he is still that '07 Chad still, there's no way you can really trade him for a 2nd and 3rd round pick, considering his 4.5 million dollar salary this year and his cap hit which is around the same number, maybe a little less.

People who think that Chad can still fetch a 1st round pick in the less guranteed uncapped year are CRAZY. The Cowboys are one of the very few NFL teams that could afford such a manuever; most of their roster is built through trades and free agency.

Any 2nd or 3rd round pick, or the combination of the two, will not impact the team to the positive in '09 the same as Chad will (think Simpson and Pat Sims).

Marvin Lewis will be fighting for his coaching life in Cincinnati in '09. It's safe to say he will not support a move to trade his 2nd best offensive player and one of the best of all time in Cincinnati.

Speaking of prolific football careers as a Bengal, how would a Chad Johnson/Ocho Cinco trade affect an already diminshing and increasingly unhappy (for the 2005 and on fans) fan base?

Also consider his heir apparent in Simpson; we all know he's not ready to be a starter, unless something miraculous happens this offseason.

Develop Simpson as the #3 this year and move Chad in '10, is the best bet.

I'd like for the Bengals trade Chad, but only for the future of the Franchise. I don't want, say Jerome Simpson, to develop into a Chad the way Chad has almost developed into a Pickens.

In interest of the 2009 season, it is better for Chad to be playing in Cincinnati. Right now, he is the only proven commodity, assuming T.J. is gone.

Who knows if he'll ever be a Top-5 receiver again but you have to think his skills haven't regressed that much from the '07 season, where he had Franchise record-breaking season (although I think it was maybe his 3rd best season overall, considering his game-to-game play).

If he is still that '07 Chad still, there's no way you can really trade him for a 2nd and 3rd round pick, considering his 4.5 million dollar salary this year and his cap hit which is around the same number, maybe a little less.

People who think that Chad can still fetch a 1st round pick in the less guranteed uncapped year are CRAZY. The Cowboys are one of the very few NFL teams that could afford such a manuever; most of their roster is built through trades and free agency.

Any 2nd or 3rd round pick, or the combination of the two, will not impact the team to the positive in '09 the same as Chad will (think Simpson and Pat Sims).

Marvin Lewis will be fighting for his coaching life in Cincinnati in '09. It's safe to say he will not support a move to trade his 2nd best offensive player and one of the best of all time in Cincinnati.

Speaking of prolific football careers as a Bengal, how would a Chad Johnson/Ocho Cinco trade affect an already diminshing and increasingly unhappy (for the 2005 and on fans) fan base?

Also consider his heir apparent in Simpson; we all know he's not ready to be a starter, unless something miraculous happens this offseason.

100% Agreed

This statement bothers me.. Trade Chad for the future of the franchise? Chad WAS the future of the franchise. Rember after his breakout season, he loved being here. He love being a Bengal and he wanted to help turn things around. He said that he wanted to retire as a Bengal... Somewhere throughout all the losing, Chad changed his mind. No different than Pickens, Dillon, or Spikes' meltdowns.

I hated the character of these guys during their departures, but I can't hate Chad this time. I won't hate Chad because I understand that he's tired of all the losing. Mike Brown is a LOSER. He doesn't know how to win. I'm not even sure he really cares about winning. Who would want to stick around..

Sorry man, but Jerome Simpsons attitude won't be based on Chad's actions, it will be based solely on whether he's playing for a winning or a losing team.

... And for the record, Chad is worth every bit of a 1st round pick. Nothing less. You're talking about a 4 or 5 time pro-bowler and a future hall of famer. Chad's route running ability is as good as it gets, his hands are great, speed is awesome, but mostly he's spectacular at running and catching the long ball... I could see Philly, San Diego, Seattle, Denver, or the Ravens giving up a 1st.

Would I take a late 1st round for Chad? That's a tough decision. I think WR's are easy to find but replacing someone like Chad Johnson would be very hard to do. So I do not think I would trade Chad unless Crabtree was there for our selection.

You have to go LB or OL with our #6 pick. But what if Crabtree is there at 6, an offer is on the table for a late first round selection for Chad Johnson, do you make the trade, select Crabtree then a LB or OL late in round 1???

id be happy with a second and comp pick for Chad. Like if he gets over 10 TD's and over a thousand yards we get an additional 2nd. After all chad was a second round pick. Although i think Chad is easily worth a first and 3rd or first that changes to a second if chad sucks really bad on this next team.

People who think that Chad can still fetch a 1st round pick in the less guranteed uncapped year are CRAZY. Speaking of prolific football careers as a Bengal, how would a Chad Johnson/Ocho Cinco trade affect an already diminshing and increasingly unhappy (for the 2005 and on fans) fan base?

First, Chad being traded would be more than welcomed by this fan. As for the recent fans of this team, unless you are under the age of 20, I could really care less what your opinion is. You probably jumped on during the success and you are more than welcome to jump off.

I've said this to many times, but will say it again. It doesn't matter what "WE ALL KNOW". What does matter is that the coaching staff feels Simpson is going to be "HUGE" this year. Those are the words straight from the coaches mouths, not mine or any other fan. If that is the case, what we do or don't "think" we know is irrelevant.

You need not look any further than the articles on the official site that still indicate that Chad is being shopped by Rosenwhore. While the Bengals may not acknowledge it, it also doesn't mean they aren't considering it.

I will go on record to say I think if Chad is back this season (I expect it) he will have another very good year. That would be a good thing for the Bengals, but if the organization can get something of value for him, they would be crazy not to. He's not going to worth more in 2 years. There are teams that have 2 firsts this year and from a standpoint of not wanting to take the hit on salary with 2 #1's, would be willing to move them. The Bengals could makes moves to accomodate such a trade.

Once again, I think Chad will be here in 09 and I also think he will have a good year. The thing about it is, I don't care...

I would rather just move on now, get some picks and make moves to do whatever they think is in the best interest of the team.

If it's Chad so be it...

This statement bothers me.. Trade Chad for the future of the franchise? Chad WAS the future of the franchise. Rember after his breakout season, he loved being here. He love being a Bengal and he wanted to help turn things around. He said that he wanted to retire as a Bengal... Somewhere throughout all the losing, Chad changed his mind. No different than Pickens, Dillon, or Spikes' meltdowns.

I hated the character of these guys during their departures, but I can't hate Chad this time. I won't hate Chad because I understand that he's tired of all the losing. Mike Brown is a LOSER. He doesn't know how to win. I'm not even sure he really cares about winning. Who would want to stick around..

Sorry man, but Jerome Simpsons attitude won't be based on Chad's actions, it will be based solely on whether he's playing for a winning or a losing team.

... And for the record, Chad is worth every bit of a 1st round pick. Nothing less. You're talking about a 4 or 5 time pro-bowler and a future hall of famer. Chad's route running ability is as good as it gets, his hands are great, speed is awesome, but mostly he's spectacular at running and catching the long ball... I could see Philly, San Diego, Seattle, Denver, or the Ravens giving up a 1st.

Would I take a late 1st round for Chad? That's a tough decision. I think WR's are easy to find but replacing someone like Chad Johnson would be very hard to do. So I do not think I would trade Chad unless Crabtree was there for our selection.

You have to go LB or OL with our #6 pick. But what if Crabtree is there at 6, an offer is on the table for a late first round selection for Chad Johnson, do you make the trade, select Crabtree then a LB or OL late in round 1???

Solid post, but we'll agree to disagree on a few points.

If you would've told me in 2003 that Chad would develop into the type of distraction that he sometimes is now, I would've called you a liar. Was it money? Was it the losing? Was it the ownership?

Who knows.

All I know is that team cancers and egos affect the entire roster. Look at what's going on in Dallas right now. There's no way that you can say for sure that the attitudes of guys like Chad and T.J., both long-time Bengals veterans and former Pro Bowl wide receivers, cannot or will not affect (even subconsciously) guys who are admittedly trying to emulate them at their positions in Simpson and Caldwell. Keep in mind Chad and T.J. were here when the Darnay Scott, Spikes, Dillon and Neal debacles took place. The best way to change the complexion of the Franchise is to eliminate all of those types of guys and to start over....And I know, easier said that done.

To me, it's not about the losing for Chad. Chad wants a new contract, plain and simple. He's nearing the end of his career and, like T.J., realizes that his chances of getting another (and perhaps final) huge payday diminish with each passing season. Wonder why Chad kept quiet all year? It's because Mike Brown told him they'd take another look at his contract at the end of the season. These players want to win, but they would much rather lose and be highly paid than the reverse.

People need to realize that there are many factors that will cause a team not to trade a 1st round pick for Chad. The most important reason is that he's 31 years old. He is in the final 3-6 years of his career and professional football players (especially WR's) tend to decline once they hit the 30 mark. Teams know that if they trade for Chad, he will also expect a new contract. How much do you pay a 30-something receiver coming off of a career low year? As far as potential trading partners, all of those teams you mentioned have more significant holes on their respective teams than WR, with the exception maybe being Philly. There's no way that a team like Seattle will offer us the #4 pick in the first round for Chad. Chad could only go to a team that felt like they are one WR away from making the Super Bowl, like maybe the N.Y. Giants or Philly and I don't think that either would offer a 1st rounder for him.

As far as the draft goes, I think the Bengals could very well go WR with the 1st pick, whether they trade Chad or not. It's safe to think they'll either trade or more than likely release Chad in '10. This year, Chad will be the oldest opening day starting WR in Bengals history.

That tells you exactly what the Bengals, and the league for that matter, think of aging receivers despite their career production.

h.o.f. , you insulting me doesn't change the fact that Chad flushed his marketability down the toilet in less than 2 years.

I'm insulting you because you seem incapable of learning. In fact, you're making the exact same argument that you and the Peter King's of the world made last year. In short, Chad's worth no more than a 4th because he's a douche. Nope says I, he's worth at least a 1st and a 3rd. Few agreed with me.

And then what happened?

The Bengals were offered even more than I had guessed.

So what happened next?

Well, guys like you proclaimed how shocked you were...paused one beat...and then started bleating about how it would never happen again. Chad's worth no more than a 4th you spewed anew. In fact, you repeat in exact detail all of the parts of your now discredited rant...changing absolutely nothing....including the part about how I'm the delusional one.

You're wrong.

Again.

<_<

I'm insulting you because you seem incapable of learning. In fact, you're making the exact same argument that you and the Peter King's of the world made last year. In short, Chad's worth no more than a 4th because he's a douche. Nope says I, he's worth at least a 1st and a 3rd. Few agreed with me.

And then what happened?

The Bengals were offered even more than I had guessed.

So what happened next?

Well, guys like you proclaimed how shocked you were...paused one beat...and then started bleating about how it would never happen again. Chad's worth no more than a 4th you spewed anew. In fact, you repeat in exact detail all of the parts of your now discredited rant...changing absolutely nothing....including the part about how I'm the delusional one.

You're wrong.

Again.

<_<

Last year, I felt he was worth a 1st and a 3rd. But after last offseason and then the turd he laid this season, you still think he is worth the same.

I disagree.

Deal.

I will go on record to say I think if Chad is back this season (I expect it) he will have another very good year.

Well, I think he'll sleepwalk through another season...which is a few steps up from last seasons tank job. So there's that. But yeah, despite all of the talk about wanting him gone or speculating about what he'd be worth if he were traded I don't think he will be.

After all, he's the face of the franchise.

Trading Chad is tricky for MB since most think he had at least a 1st and change offered to him last year, so how could he settle for less in 2009? Both Marvin and MB would look silly.

I expect Chad would want a new contract as well since that is what his pouting was all about last season. Seems large hurdles for a trade to happen.

After all, he's the face of the franchise.

Really? You think THAT'S why he won't be traded? Because he's the "face of the franchise?" :lol:

Yeah that must be it.

It couldn't be because his value has never been lower. Nah, that couldn't be it. Its because he is still lovable ole Chad Johnson. He hasn't grated on the nerves of fans, coaches or management. He's "the face."

Laughable.

I think Bengals coaches and ownership want Chad gone very badly. But its like trying to sell a stock at 3 dollars a share, when you bought in at 15. You are stuck with it, with nothing to do but hope it improves.

"Face of the franchise..." you crack me up. Maybe in 2005.

Last year, I felt he was worth a 1st and a 3rd. But after last offseason and then the turd he laid this season, you still think he is worth the same.

I disagree.

Deal.

There's nothing for me to deal since my guess of what Chad's trade value might be has been factually proven. Your dubious claim that he's now worth no more than a 4th or 5th round pick hasn't been proven, and appears at first glance to be remarkably stupid. So back up your rant with further bleatings if you can, but don't assume I'm impressed when you repeat the same stupid crap from last year or with a wave of the hand claim some ship has sailed.