Whitworth Fight

Kazkal

Bengals Website:

The agent for Andrew Whitworth plans to appeal the $10,000 fine the NFL levied Friday for fighting and his client said he was "embarrassed" for the NFL after it gave Jaguars defensive tackle John Henderson the same penalty. The NFL also said Henderson received a $5,000 fine for a hands-to-the-face infraction.

Henderson also got a $10,000 fine and no suspension even though TV replays and witnesses recorded Henderson trying to gouge Whitworth's eyes after he tore off Whitworth's helmet during Sunday's 21-19 win over Jacksonville at Paul Brown Stadium. Several other Bengals were also apparently fined for being near the fight.

Whitworth

"I'm embarrassed for the league that I play in that they could come to that decision after that guy physically attacked me," Whitworth said from Louisiana, where he is spending the Bengals bye week. "For them to give us the same penalty is absolutely unbelievable. The guy had two infractions on the play and that's not even counting the play before when he threw a punch at me. I felt like the NFL turned their back on me today."

Both were ejected after the play late in the third quarter. Whitworth was tossed for fighting when he threw some punches to get away from Henderson's hold on his head. Whitworth said throwing the punches was the only way he could protect his eyes from Henderson's attack.

"What I don't understand is I represent the league the way they want players to represent the league," Whitworth said. "I'm in the community every Tuesday. I'm never late for meetings and for practices and I do what my coaches tell me. And here I can't even get any protection on the field from the league when a guy violently attacks me? I'm sickened."

"There were guys on their team that texted me after the game that said they were sorry and he was wrong," Whitworth said. "I didn't hear their head coach defend him. I didn't hear his owners defend him."

Agent Steve Colson said that Bengals ownership as well as head coach Marvin Lewis spoke to the league in Whitworth's defense.

"I don't know who is watching tape in the NFL office, but if they're trying to send a message, they're sending it to the wrong kid," Colson said. "I'm appalled. It's horrible."

Whitworth said his teammates were just trying to protect him.

"They didn't want to get in a fight. That wasn't their intent," Whitworth said. "But when they saw what the guy was doing to me, they were trying to help me get out of there."

------------------------------

Goodell Sucks!

Goodell plays favorites!

When a Bengals player commits an off the field misdomeanor its suspension,just the kind of stuff the NFL should stay out of, and when a player tries to gouge the eyes out of a Bengal , he gives out a slap on the wrist fine to the assualting player.

And then gives out the same fine to the player just trying to defend themselves?

Whitworth should sue the NFL and Goodell .

The city prosecutor should look into malicious wounding charges against Henderson- if the NFL is not going to do anything.

Just because you are on the football field does not make you imune to legal charges.

Just because you on the field does not give the right to blind another player.

Whitworth is absolutely correct. This sends out a horrible message. What Henderson did had nothing to do with football. He went after a player in a cowardly fashion and shoved his thumb into his eyesocket. No control whatsoever.

Nothing will be done though and meanwhile, legal hard hits will be fined and tagged and in a few years yrs Tampex Tampons will be the official uniform supplier. No hitting but biting, slapping, gouging and hair pulling is fair game.

The sooner Goodell plays in traffic the better.

When reached for comment, Goodell said, "Mmmmmpphhhggg, mmmmmmgmggghhhaa," which is how most of his comments sound due to Bob Kraft's penis being permanently lodged in his mouth.

When I read this I nearly fail out of my chair laughing.

You get my post of the year award.

However, you left out that Jerry Jones was working the other end of Goodell.

Hey Greg here is your chance to fight the power! Get some chargers filed against Henderson and make the NFL look like complete fools. How awesome would that be to see Henderson summoned to show up in court in Cincinnati.

On a side note did anyone see Jim Rome the other day talk about how Joey Porter would be a much better commish than Goodell? Did Rome forget how Porter was such a coward that he had to roll 4 deep in order to attack Levi in Vegas? I really wish someone would catch Porter with a crack back block like Ward put on Rivers...then see if Goodell would fine that player or not. I bet he would because Porter isn't a Bengal.

And they fine 20 players for being involved in the fight? I have really lost a lot of respect for Godell and his cronies. I applauded his efforts to clean up the league but this is a joke. Why bother fining any one? After all it was offsetting penalties on the play. :puke:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/11/09/...-bengals-fight/

Now I heard that Randy Moss got fined $20K for a comment about officiating. He should have poked the refs eyes out. It would have cost him less.

They rescinded that fine.

Maybe Whit should make a comment about the ref that did nothing on the play before the incident.

Now I heard that Randy Moss got fined $20K for a comment about officiating. He should have poked the refs eyes out. It would have cost him less.

In a nutshell, this is the problem. They don't have a clue what they're doing right now with player discipline -- and it shows.

I agree.

In fact, I think it likely Moss's fine was rescinded in direct response to the comparions made by Whitworth, his agent, and a host of others.

And if true then it's just more proof of Goodell handing out punishment based upon the whims and reactions of the media and public.

So which way is the wind blowing today?

In a nutshell, this is the problem. They don't have a clue what they're doing right now with player discipline -- and it shows.

I agree.

In fact, I think it likely Moss's fine was rescinded in direct response to the comparions made by Whitworth, his agent, and a host of others.

And if true then it's just more proof of Goodell handing out punishment based upon the whims and reactions of the media and public.

So which way is the wind blowing today?

The Moss rescinding was a function of results-oriented ruling. How in the world was he going to justify that fine for a statement after fining Henderson only $15,000 total for mistaking Whitworth's head for a bowling ball? And how would he justify doing anything more to Henderson after doing nothing to Ward for trying to decapitate Rivers? And how would he justify doing anything to Ward when Pacman was allowed to return to the NFL after getting some guy shot and paralyzed?

Are we seeing a trend here?

Rescinded Moss' fine, and also rescinded a fine he had levied against a player who pulled up when hitting, I believe, whoever the Cowboys are playing at quarterback. That's two fines in the last couple weeks that, once people complained, Goodell reversed. He doesn't know what he's doing.

Yup, he's a f**king Magoo.

And that was just as true many months ago when Mister Magoo's brand of frontier justice was at it's peak of popularity.

But what the heck, I'm sure the guy will end up looking like a genius again after we've caught a glimpse of the first Super Bowl played in Mexico City or London. Ehhh?

No doubt. Still a little confused as to why teams agree to overseas games (other than the short term financial benefits). Can't they all just tell him where to stick his idea? Or would there be 'consequences'?