Perry Headed For The Bench?

COB

Looks like Marvin has had it with Chris Perry. Be aware the source is Chick, who boldly and stupidly predicted we'd beat both the Jets and the Steelers. But in Marvin's cryptic world, this is about as plain spoken as we're going to get.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/o...spbennotes.html

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Is Bengals starting tailback Chris Perry about to get benched in favor of Cedric Benson or Kenny Watson?

Sure sounds like it.

Perry rushed 11 times for 14 yards (1.3) with a long gain of four yards.

"We're going to look at all that," head coach Marvin Lewis said in the aftermath of the Bengals' 26-14 loss to the New York Jets.

"We need to look at it and take a hard look, and see what's the best thing for us to go forward. It's a combination of things. I'm not going to sit here and elaborate much on it now. We've got to do better. It's not good enough."

Looks like Marvin has had it with Chris Perry. Be aware the source is Chick, who boldly and stupidly predicted we'd beat both the Jets and the Steelers. But in Marvin's cryptic world, this is about as plain spoken as we're going to get.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/o...spbennotes.html

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Is Bengals starting tailback Chris Perry about to get benched in favor of Cedric Benson or Kenny Watson?

Sure sounds like it.

Perry rushed 11 times for 14 yards (1.3) with a long gain of four yards.

"We're going to look at all that," head coach Marvin Lewis said in the aftermath of the Bengals' 26-14 loss to the New York Jets.

"We need to look at it and take a hard look, and see what's the best thing for us to go forward. It's a combination of things. I'm not going to sit here and elaborate much on it now. We've got to do better. It's not good enough."

This renewed emphasis on the running game will be sweet! Why didn't we think of that before? :rolleyes:

This is another shining example of this offseason. Let's put a BIG emphasis on the running game by not drafting a rb and OT in the 4th round. Cuttting your only proven running back, name your starter who hasn't played in a year and a half, Draft 3 wide receivers. blah, blah,blah. Stupid.

If the solution was as simple as replacing Perry, then some other back should have flashed by now.

Clearly though, Perry has been running to the wrong holes. He doesn't seem to have much vision out there. Much creativity or shiftiness.

Maybe its a solution but it doesn't solve the other issues. Would All Day(Adrian Peterson) run to daylight with this line?

Who on our line should be around in 2009?

While Perry is not very good, the o-line is the culprit and I've been saying that on here for the last two years.

I said Guy-chick was terrible and people ignored that, that Levi was a joke and that was ignored, and have seen comments on here that Guy-chick "is improving." How is he improving? He's a joke.

I said Whit was out of position at Guard and Williams is average at best. I have said time and time again that the Bengals' do not put enough $ or emphasis on the interior o-line or TE and this year is what you get, 0-6 and the worst running game in the league, and a hurt QB...again.

I've said over and over that Paul Alexander is the Assistant HC, is responsible for the blocking schemes and even some of the play-calling/game planning etc.., but he gets no heat from fans. He cannot develop lineman to save his life and again gets a free pass. He is Mike Brown's boy.

The o-line has given up NINETEEN sacks already and Perry's averaging about 2.5 ypc.

Carson Palmer's elbow injury is a direct result of being hit hard while throwing and he is constantly being annihilated due to the cheapness of the Bengals' organization and their inability to allocate cap money to the o-line.

To lose games this close because your owner is too damn cheap to upgrade the o-line over time and pay interior lineman, meanwhile drafting WR's out the wazoo, has got to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in football and to never have it brought up on any local shows or in the media speaks of football ignorance.

Of course this harkens back to high level operating philosophy that a good GM would immediately change and protect his franchise QB with good lineman - not projects and cast-offs and out-of-position players because you don't plan or draft well.

It's too late to get a new 0-line, they are stuck with this putrid running game all year and will be a big reason they go 2-14.

If the solution was as simple as replacing Perry, then some other back should have flashed by now.

Clearly though, Perry has been running to the wrong holes. He doesn't seem to have much vision out there. Much creativity or shiftiness.

Maybe its a solution but it doesn't solve the other issues. Would All Day(Adrian Peterson) run to daylight with this line?

Keep Whit, Bobbie, Collins

get rid of Levi, Girlcheck, Andrews

FA vet center and RB, draft the best OT in round 1 and solid up the depth in later rounds of the draft.

FA vet center and RB, draft the best OT in round 1 and solid up the depth in later rounds of the draft.

Good plan. Here's what Mike will do in the draft: He'll find some physical specimen who has great measurables. But he'll only have played like two years of football or something. Maybe he was a basketball player until his sophomore year in college, then went out for football. And he'll be from a Div. II school. Mike will pass on proven players to show everyone he's a genius and only he can find these diamond in the rough types. Or he'll pick a guy who was a defensive linemen until his senior year or something like that. That will be our new OT.

I think you almost have to put him on the bench. Tentative runner, no escapability, and doesn't appear to be able to catch the ball. Granted, he hasn't had a lot of help from the OL, but if Fitzpatrick has to keep playing because of Carson's injury, the Bengals MUST run the football effectively and I don't think that is going to happen with Perry.

Give Benson and Watson a try. It's not the playoffs are in the immediate future.

two of the 3 in the middle of our oline need to go. if we can get another steinbach type and a very solid center id be happy. and throw in a fullback that can block and catch wow. Perry is definately underperforming. i am a perry fan but the man is killing us. I dont think benson is the answer though so its going to be a long season if perry doesnt get it together.

bonus - isnt there a better pic of amanda beard on the net than the one above?

My thinking exactly.....I dont think there is a RB in the league who would put up any kind of numbers with the way this OL is playing.....THEY JUST CANT BLOCK ANYBODY, BE IT RUN OR PASS.

would another RB with this o-line make it to the pro-bowl? probably not. but i'm also sure there are plenty who could do a helluva lot better. i don't remember seeing perry try to spin out of a tackle, ever. and it's true that he doesn't seem to have much vision out there, and he clearly can't bulldoze his way through.

seeing as he's pretty ineffective at what he's doing, albeit behind an awful line, the game plan is... to keep having him do the exact same thing that's ineffective. sure, makes sense to me. i know that when i fail at something, i continue doing it the exact same way in hopes that the odds i succeed are just around the corner. law of averages say i'll get lucky sometimes, right?

would another RB with this o-line make it to the pro-bowl? probably not. but i'm also sure there are plenty who could do a helluva lot better.

You have to keep in mind that in addition to the terrible O-Line play, he doesnt have a "true" fullback either. Daniel Coats is not, nor will he ever be a "true" fullback. He doesnt have the smashmouth mentality that a fullback needs to have. True Jeremy Johnson is always overweight, but the guy can take out defenders, Coats cant.

okay, i'll give ya that. that being the case, though, why keep running him as if there's a corey dillon waiting to emerge? by that, what i mean is why keep playing perry as if he was a play-maker?

i'm willing to agree with anyone that perry can't do his job completely because too many around him aren't doing theirs as long as they'd be willing to agree that perry shouldn't be given the rock as much as he is. not that benson is setting the world on fire, but he's doing slightly better, no?

what's the verdict then? if you had to make the decision, would you rather have benson or perry starting?

not being a football historian, i'll ask ~ if i researched it, could i not find examples of replacement runners doing fantastic things with the exact same o-line that the predecessor was getting clobbered behind?