Steelers, Browns are class of AFC North

Ox

Steelers, Browns are class of AFC North

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Scouts Inc.

ESPN.com

Scouts Inc. is breaking down each division in a roundtable discussion, with each scout offering his pick for the best offense and defense as well as the most important offseason move in the division. Here's the scouts' look at the AFC North.

Which team has the best offense in the AFC North?

Jeremy Green: The Cleveland Browns have the best offense in the AFC North, even though the Pittsburgh Steelers will be more explosive than last season after drafting RB Rashard Mendenhall and WR Limas Sweed. But the Browns have a much better offensive line and Pittsburgh has issues because LT Marvel Smith is showing wear and All-Pro LG Alan Faneca is now in New York. The Steelers' pass protection looks to be an issue again. Pittsburgh will have the more consistent ground attack, but the Browns have better balance with their ability to stretch the field with QB Derek Anderson and WR Braylon Edwards. Plus, Cleveland can ride the legs of RB Jamal Lewis.

Gary Horton: Browns offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski runs a creative, vertical passing game mixed with a power running game. Cleveland has confident and talented players at all the skill positions, not to mention an improved and stable offensive line. This unit will be tough to stop if Anderson shows he is the real deal.

Keith Kidd: Under Chudzinski, the Browns have one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL. Led by Anderson and his superior supporting cast of receivers including Edwards, Donte' Stallworth, Joe Jurevicius, Josh Cribbs and TE Kellen Winslow, the Browns can place a lot of pressure on opposing defenses. Cleveland also has a good offensive line that can create a lot of space for Lewis and allow the Browns to employ a power running game.

Doug Kretz: The new-look Browns became everyone's darling after they passed their way to a 10-6 record and nearly made the playoffs last season. With virtually all their offense back and the addition of Stallworth, Anderson should take his game to the next level now that he is entrenched as the starter. If Anderson stumbles, though, don't be surprised to see the Browns bring in Brady Quinn quickly.

Tag Ribary: I like the Steelers. They have a ton of talent and are a cohesive group that understands where they want to go as a team. Their overall toughness will keep them in games and they have some good young playmakers to complement their experienced veterans. The Steelers know what they are looking for at every position and they stay committed to the plan.

Matt Williamson: Pittsburgh by a nose over Cleveland. There isn't a better offensive line in the league than Cleveland's and that is a major advantage over the Steelers, but I give the nod to Pittsburgh because of QB Ben Roethlisberger. He is the third-best quarterback in the league behind Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, and Roethlisberger is only getting better. With the weapons that Pittsburgh has amassed around him, I expect Big Ben to take an even bigger step forward this season. The Steelers can now attack a defense in just about any way they want and will be extremely difficult to prepare for.

Which team has the best defense in the AFC North?

Green: This is a close call, but I have to go with Pittsburgh over the Baltimore Ravens. Despite losing veteran DE Aaron Smith to injury late in the season, the Steelers still finished first overall in total defense (266.4 ypg) and second in scoring defense (16.8 ppg). Plus, All-Pro S Troy Polamalu will be healthy, so they should be a top-five unit once again. Baltimore finished sixth overall (301.6 ypg), but DE Trevor Pryce and CB Chris McAlister are no longer at their best. In Pittsburgh, the combination of head coach Mike Tomlin coaching the cornerbacks and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau unleashing the front seven with blitz packages will once again give the Steelers the best defense in the division.

Kidd: Baltimore defensive coordinator Rex Ryan is the best in the NFL and his aggressive style puts a lot of pressure on protection schemes. The Ravens are usually one of the toughest teams to run against in the NFL. They have the best free safety in the NFL in Ed Reed, and SS Dawan Landry is a player to watch in 2008. The Ravens must stay healthy at corner, though, after both McAlister and Samari Rolle missed significant time last season.

Kretz: There is no reason to think Pittsburgh won't have the top-ranked defense in the AFC North again this year. The only major offseason loss was LB Clark Haggans, but 2007 second-round pick LaMarr Woodley is ready to step into the lineup. The Steelers do a great job of shutting down the run and forcing teams to become one-dimensional, allowing Pittsburgh to blitz its outside linebackers, put pressure on the pocket and force turnovers.

Ken Moll: Even though the Steelers finished higher in the final rankings in 2007, I believe the Ravens have more talent and are primed to reclaim the top spot in the AFC North. Baltimore's defense was on the field way too much last season and that skewed the final numbers, but new head coach John Harbaugh will try to get the offense back on track. Plus, the highly-regarded Ryan is still leading the defense, so there is no reason to think there will be any dropoff.

Williamson: All four teams in the division could make improvements in 2008, but I still think the Ravens have the best defense. Baltimore's offense might put the defense in some tough spots, so the stats might not be reflective of that, but the Ravens are still the most physical, versatile and aggressive defense in this division. If the Ravens can stay healthy and get improved play at the cornerback position,they should be difficult to move the ball against. However, the overall age, depth and durability of this group is a concern.

What was the most important offseason move in the AFC North?

Green: Cleveland GM Phil Savage pulling the trigger on two major deals to improve the Browns' defensive line. Savage gave up Cleveland's second-round pick in 2008 to get DE Corey Williams from Green Bay, and next year's third-rounder along with CB Leigh Bodden to acquire DT Shaun Rogers from Detroit. Both players will start and have an immediate impact on a defense that finished 30th overall (359.6 ypg) last season. These big bodies up front will create a better push and free up OLB Kamerion Wimbley. Savage came to Cleveland from Baltimore, where draft picks carry major value, but give him credit for looking ahead and realizing this bold move would give the Browns' marginal front three the huge boost needed to make the defense respectable.

Horton: Pittsburgh drafting Mendenhall in the first round. The Steelers stress a physical, smashmouth running game and now they have two quality backs in Mendenhall and Willie Parker. Mendenhall's physical style will be a great complement to Parker's speed and he will ease the load on Parker. A ball-control running game will also wear down opposing defenses and open up the play-action package.

Moll:The additions of Rogers and Williams in Cleveland should give new defensive coordinator Mel Tucker a chance to turn things around, but if these moves don't pan out they could set the entire franchise back a great deal.

Ribary: The Cincinnati Bengals refusing to trade disgruntled WR Chad Johnson. If it is true that they were offered two first-round draft picks, then they turned down a chance to bring in young, talented players and remove one of the biggest disruptions to the team's chemistry.

Williamson: The hiring of Harbaugh in Baltimore. Former Ravens head coach Brian Billick is a fine coach, but it was time for him to go. The offense floundered year after year and a change was needed in order to re-invigorate this franchise. It remains to be seen whether Harbaugh is the right man for the job, but he is energetic, bright and brings a fresh attitude to the team. He is also fortunate enough to have two high-quality coordinators in Ryan and Cam Cameron to handle the play calling and oversee the defense and offense. The Ravens' special teams will surely improve with Harbaugh running the show, and while having big success in his first year will be difficult the Ravens cannot be taken lightly.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=344...&type=story

Hell yeah, the less we hear everyone talk about the Bengals and keep hyping the others, the more I like it. The Browns are not accustomed to having that target on their back and it showed when all they had to do was beat the lowly Bengals to get to the playoffs last year. Have they improved ?? Hell yeah they have, can't deny it. Are they going to win more than 10 this year ?? I would bet no, but then again, this season might see a 9-7 team make it from the North.

I like staying under the radar. Good job Scouts.inc !!!

WHODEY !!!

opinions are like a-holes.

I expect a lot more of this -- especially the fawning over Cleveland. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like this year may be the clown's version of our 2006 season.

Its funny how the media jumps on teams bandwagons. Just one year ago we were rated as a playoff n\bound team preseason. We endure many injuries and have a subpar season. Now the target is off our backs and we are a bottom tier team even though we have jettisoned our socially handicapped players and gotten everyone healthy. Im happy we are being overlooked.

Overlooked just like Cleveland was going into last year. No one expected cleveland to play well (even though they didnt make the playoffs just like t he bengals so it doesnt matter how they played) Now they have a brutal second place schedule with like 5 night games (big one on Monday night against Buffalo - Monday night matchups blow now)

The Browns have a lot to prove. They squeaked by every game last year. http://www.nfl.com/teams/schedule?team=CLE...;seasonType=REG

There is also the deal with their quarterbacks. 75% of the city wants Quinn in there. People dont like Anderson and have put a short leash on him. They are very thin at running back and corner back. Their defense is bad.

Its going to be an interesting year to say the least - Right now, I am confident the Bengals have a better team and will have a better year.

Who Dey!!

I would much rather the Bengals have a reputation as winners, but that just is not the case right now. But, to not even mention the Bengals offense is rather strange. With Palmer, CJ and TJ there is always a good chance of the Bengals putting some points on the board. Hopefully the D finally steps up and plays average so the O can put some games away early this season. There are just as many question going into camp on both the Browns and Stealers offenses as there are on the Bengals

I am cautiously optimistic about this season, the tough schedule for the AFCN is going to allow for a 9-7 or 10-6 division winner and I think that is attainable.

I would rather the team be overlooked and underrated by people. It may just make them hungry, and they'll come out with a chip on their shoulder to prove the doubters wrong....at least they should.

Hope so.

I would rather the team be overlooked and underrated by people. It may just make them hungry, and they'll come out with a chip on their shoulder to prove the doubters wrong....at least they should.

Hope so.

I pray so! prayingsmileygk5.gif

The only "people" I would like to see "hype" the Bengals, is the NFL schedule makers...We need more Nationally Televised games !!!!!

As for the "Fish-Hacks" they're wrong about 60-70% of the time anyway.

They had those nationally televised games in 2006 and a couple last year. Minus the season opener against the Ravens last year, the Bengals pretty much fell on their faces. The people that schedule those games aren't very forgiving if you come out and stink up the joint in front of the entire nation...it screws up their ratings. Besides, national TV is just another opportunity for Chad to show his ass, which is what we don't need.

In my best Bill Simmons impersonation:

I wish I could get odds somewhere on Cleveland stumbling hard out of the gate and the weight of unreasonable expectations pushes them to stick Brady Quinn at QB by game four and they from there reel to a 5-11 finish. Book it.

In my most regretful moment, I would have to say as it stands right now, the Bengals are distancing themselves. They draft and manage the roster better than any other team in the league (including the Pats). The Bengals will be a close #2 though. I think the Ravens are finally getting old and the Browns were a flash-in-the pan. Their D is worse than the Bengals, even with the additions of Rogers and Williams. I got $5 for anybody outside of Cleveland who can name their projected starting secondary without Google or an NFL website. Trading Bodden just gave the Bengals about another 200 yards passing over the two games, so it was really at-best a wash to pick up Rogers on THAT defense. If the Bengals can play defense like they did in the 2nd half of the season this year and the running game s respectable (not a lot of IF's), they should finish better than .500. They could have easily gone 11-5 last year, even with all the injuries, if they had a handful of different bounces of the ball.

opinions are like a-holes.

I expect a lot more of this -- especially the fawning over Cleveland. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like this year may be the clown's version of our 2006 season.

Its funny how the media jumps on teams bandwagons. Just one year ago we were rated as a playoff n\bound team preseason. We endure many injuries and have a subpar season. Now the target is off our backs and we are a bottom tier team even though we have jettisoned our socially handicapped players and gotten everyone healthy. Im happy we are being overlooked.

Overlooked just like Cleveland was going into last year. No one expected cleveland to play well (even though they didnt make the playoffs just like t he bengals so it doesnt matter how they played) Now they have a brutal second place schedule with like 5 night games (big one on Monday night against Buffalo - Monday night matchups blow now)

The Browns have a lot to prove. They squeaked by every game last year. http://www.nfl.com/teams/schedule?team=CLE...;seasonType=REG

There is also the deal with their quarterbacks. 75% of the city wants Quinn in there. People dont like Anderson and have put a short leash on him. They are very thin at running back and corner back. Their defense is bad.

Its going to be an interesting year to say the least - Right now, I am confident the Bengals have a better team and will have a better year.

Who Dey!!

Ill have to come back to this one tomorrow when Im not so damned tired. However Ill agree that ESPN has the worst case of band waggon hopping, kinda ironic coming from a Cincy fan though.

I don't really give much credence to what the talking heads say - it's still pre-training camp, and the only thing they should be focusing on is how do WE get better, not how good our division is going to be.