Thurman to be released? Merged

Here's a good tell-tale sign. Channel 19 in Cincy, in reporting on this story tonight, states that Thurman's agent claims five teams have called about him, but he has yet to work out with any of them. Similarly, Marvin denied the time line in re Odell's grandmother's death as a factor for the decision.

Don't you think if Odell was serious about a return to the NFL, he'd be out there working out with suitors? Root of the problem, I think.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To anyone that maybe is thinking "no big deal hes not worth the grief" your ridiculously wrong, Ray Lewis killed someone and is still on the team he was after all those problems, when Odell is playing the way he was in '05 i hope Marvin still "refuses" to talk about the star middle linebacker he let get away. This IS a business, and that means you keep your best players (except for extreme situations) no matter what, especially after all the hell you've been through.

and once again i will still root for Odell no matter where he plays cause i can see the potential he has.

To anyone that maybe is thinking "no big deal hes not worth the grief" your ridiculously wrong, Ray Lewis killed someone and is still on the team he was after all those problems, when Odell is playing the way he was in '05 i hope Marvin still "refuses" to talk about the star middle linebacker he let get away. This IS a business, and that means you keep your best players (except for extreme situations) no matter what, especially after all the hell you've been through.

and once again i will still root for Odell no matter where he plays cause i can see the potential he has.

The problem with your logic is that you believe he is still the same player he was in 2005, even though he hasn't played a down in two friggin' years. Not only has he not played, he doesn't appear motivated to be that same player. He's out of shape and not in much of a hurry to work out for any other teams, no doubt because he knows he isn't in shape and wouldn't draw any offers, or if he did, the offers would be average.

To anyone that maybe is thinking "no big deal hes not worth the grief" your ridiculously wrong, Ray Lewis killed someone and is still on the team he was after all those problems

Yeah, but Ray Lewis always showed up for Voluntary and Mandatory team activities, Ray Lewis was/is also a great teammate.

More importantly, Ray Lewis always gave 110%.....or roughly 109% more than Odell has.

To anyone that maybe is thinking "no big deal hes not worth the grief" your ridiculously wrong, Ray Lewis killed someone and is still on the team he was after all those problems

Yeah, but Ray Lewis always showed up for Voluntary and Mandatory team activities, Ray Lewis was/is also a great teammate.

More importantly, Ray Lewis always gave 110%.....or roughly 109% more than Odell has.

QFT

This move is very upsetting after all Odell has been through.

agreen, I really do not intend to 'pick on' your comments ... really. But ... what about 'after all' the Bengals have been through with his actions? What about 'after all' the league has been through with his actions? What about the fans? I get it ... Odell is likely sick ... perhaps tragically sick. But I in the category that believes strongly in owning up to your personal actions.

Your absolutely right. But does that mean you turn your back on him? What if it were your son? There are people out there with this type of problem... His agent says he's on the right track; He's working out, passing every single drug test, ect, ect, ect. Isn't he worth one last chance after everything he's been through? Sure he has hurt the team and let us fans down. But we all love the comeback story. At least bring him to freaking CAMP! If he doesn't work out by then, then you go ahead and release him... NO. The Bengals do the dick move and cut him when he's out of town, back at home attending to his family who is mourning the loss of their grandma, probably the backbone of his family. It just doesn't add up. There's no way this is because of a lack of effort since re-instatement.

This isn't a family...it's a business. There are fifty-three spots on this team. He's not the Bengals' 'son', he's one of those fifty-three spots. If he is clearly not ready to go, and showing no indication he will be ready by camp, why would you keep him? Because the Bengals 'owe him'? Because it's 'morally right'? Gimme a freaking break. If I start slipping at my job and costing my employers and being unavailable when I'm needed, how long you think it is before they 'cut' me? Whether it's because I'm on alcohol, drugs, grandma died, or 'just depressed', my butt's getting fired. Is it a dick move to you? Maybe. Does my boss care? No. Would your boss care? No. The Bengals are not, and shouldn't be, any different.

It's not a family? Its a business? Damn, you've been in cincy too long my brother... Aren't teams permited to bring more than 53 guys to camp? Don't they make cuts during camp?

Your post proves my point that this team is ran too much like a business. It's Mikey's source of income. Look at Kraft in New England and Jerry Jones in Dallas. They run WINNING FRANCHISES not just a business. This is bigger than Odell Thurman. Its about MB's whole philosophy on football. STUPID!

Actually my boss would care. So would the President. Our company is a family, a very close family.

Your so full of s**t... It's okay, Ray's a good player and gives 110%, it doesn't matter anymore that he killed a man!

agreen, I really do not intend to 'pick on' your comments ... really. But ... what about 'after all' the Bengals have been through with his actions? What about 'after all' the league has been through with his actions? What about the fans? I get it ... Odell is likely sick ... perhaps tragically sick. But I in the category that believes strongly in owning up to your personal actions.

Your absolutely right. But does that mean you turn your back on him? What if it were your son? There are people out there with this type of problem... His agent says he's on the right track; He's working out, passing every single drug test, ect, ect, ect. Isn't he worth one last chance after everything he's been through? Sure he has hurt the team and let us fans down. But we all love the comeback story. At least bring him to freaking CAMP! If he doesn't work out by then, then you go ahead and release him... NO. The Bengals do the dick move and cut him when he's out of town, back at home attending to his family who is mourning the loss of their grandma, probably the backbone of his family. It just doesn't add up. There's no way this is because of a lack of effort since re-instatement.

This isn't a family...it's a business. There are fifty-three spots on this team. He's not the Bengals' 'son', he's one of those fifty-three spots. If he is clearly not ready to go, and showing no indication he will be ready by camp, why would you keep him? Because the Bengals 'owe him'? Because it's 'morally right'? Gimme a freaking break. If I start slipping at my job and costing my employers and being unavailable when I'm needed, how long you think it is before they 'cut' me? Whether it's because I'm on alcohol, drugs, grandma died, or 'just depressed', my butt's getting fired. Is it a dick move to you? Maybe. Does my boss care? No. Would your boss care? No. The Bengals are not, and shouldn't be, any different.

It's not a family? Its a business? Damn, you've been in cincy too long my brother... Aren't teams permited to bring more than 53 guys to camp? Don't they make cuts during camp?

Your post proves my point that this team is ran too much like a business. It's Mikey's source of income. Look at Kraft in New England and Jerry Jones in Dallas. They run WINNING FRANCHISES not just a business. This is bigger than Odell Thurman. Its about MB's whole philosophy on football. STUPID!

Actually my boss would care. So would the President. Our company is a family, a very close family.

Its all about having loyal comitted employees or teamates if you are running a business, or trying to reach a goal like the superbowl. You can't expect to come out of the gate fast in the NFL with a team that has players that are self serving,lazy,addicted,non-comitted and want to draw attention to themselves. It is painfully obvios to me that to clear the air of all the unrest this has to be done . Limits have to be set...and they are! It may be the best move for the players as well...but they have to man up and take advantage of the dwindling opportunities! As someone said-it just clears up who is with us. Who wants to work where different players are treated differently? Players (comitted) were asking for this..directly or indirectly. As for Odells lawyer...I don't think pleading for him is actually helping him,,he needs to help himself! Does he want to?

Your so full of s**t... It's okay, Ray's a good player and gives 110%, it doesn't matter anymore that he killed a man!

Yeah, the guy he killed probably deserved it, right?

Its all about having loyal comitted employees or teamates if you are running a business, or trying to reach a goal like the superbowl. You can't expect to come out of the gate fast in the NFL with a team that has players that are self serving,lazy,addicted,non-comitted and want to draw attention to themselves. It is painfully obvios to me that to clear the air of all the unrest this has to be done . Limits have to be set...and they are! It may be the best move for the players as well...but they have to man up and take advantage of the dwindling opportunities! As someone said-it just clears up who is with us. Who wants to work where different players are treated differently? Players (comitted) were asking for this..directly or indirectly. As for Odells lawyer...I don't think pleading for him is actually helping him,,he needs to help himself! Does he want to?

I can understand the point your trying to make but really its just blah blah blah blah because we all know that Odell will go to another team and compete for a job, and most likely make some sort of an impact.

I can understand the point your trying to make but really its just blah blah blah blah because we all know that Odell will go to another team and compete for a job, and most likely make some sort of an impact.

Good for him if that happens...odds are bad for him at this point.Typical Bengal thinking since weve been burned like this before. Still can't afford to keep him here!

Yes, I'm well aware that he was suspended for two years. If that's the reason we are cutting him, then we should have done it as soon as he was reinstated. But it's not the reason we cut him. We cut him because he took time off to be with his grandma while she was sick and then to attend her funeral. He hasn't come back yet, but apparently he's taking care of stuff relating to her estate and such. On top of that, he's not contractually required to be here right now. So, yes, this was a stupid move. I fail to understand how you and some others here think that football should be more important than family. It's sad.

... and you have made the assumption that that is exactly all he was doing. To believe Thurman was completely the victim here, you must believe that an admitted alcoholic, coming off a 2 year substance abuse suspension, truly needed nearly a month off to 'take care of things' related to his dying grandmother. On top of believing he needed and used all of this time for upright reasons, you must also ask how much is enough? Another 2 weeks? Another month? I just think if I was in his situation, I would find a way to correlate my new career opportunity with honoring my dear grandmother. In some twisted way, this how thing reminds me of the Seinfeld 'magic loogie'.

I haven't ASSUMED anything. It's what's written in every article I've read so far about his release. Like I said before, if there's another reason, come out with it. But it this is the reason they're sticking with I'm beyond disappointed.

I was disappointed last year when the Bengals cut Brian Simmons. He was a good guy, had good character, was real nice to his fans and played his heart out on every single play. The Bengals decided that, despite everything Simmons had given to the team, he was no longer needed. If we want to start moralizing the NFL, the Simmons cut gets my sympathies ten times more than a guy like Thurman.

As has been pointed out here before on this thread, most of us have jobs where we could take a day or two off to bereave a mother, grandmother, child or spouse, but if we haven't returned after a certain point, we're going to either lose those jobs or, at the least, be forced to take the time off without pay. Even if they solely cut Thurman because they felt he was dicking around with his return from the funeral, et cetera, that is their decision.

If you find yourself beyond disappointed because of a personnel decision by an NFL team, expecially towards a player that really hasn't proven he's deserving of the benefit of the doubt, I'm not sure how you can enjoy the experience of being an NFL fan, or professional sports fan for that matter.

You know, it amazes me that no one here seems to realize that releasing Thurman for not being at VOLUNTARY workouts is against the rules of the CBA. I could understand their point better if Thurman's grandma had not just passed away. I understand that MOST people have three days bereavement. That's what I get. But most people on this board also don't get 6 months a year off. From January to June, NFL players don't have to report for anything.

Now, if I'm Odell Thurman, and my grandma just died, and I KNOW that it's against the rules for them to cut me for not being at VOLUNTARY workouts, I would take the extra time as well. Many of you think he has an obligation to come back right away because he's been out for so long and you're entitled to your opinion, but unless there's something else that happened here, I believe the Bengals made a mistake.

Again, if something else DID happen, and the Bengals assumed he would be getting suspended again, I don't understand why the Bengals don't just say it.

It amazes me you are still clueless or you don't comprehend ... You're right we all stupid and it never dawned on anyone but yourself that you can't release a player for missing VOLUNTARIES..... Shouldn't that tell you something else was wrong??? Hello, is anybody home?? B)

I'm clueless? Maybe it's YOU who are stupid. If something else was wrong, the Bengals would say it. They made no qualms about saying why they released Henry. So why would they lie about why they release Thurman? Maybe YOU should check to see if your lights are on at home.

Yeah, if any team can get him to actually come work out for them. Ain't happened yet.

Well I think we could've afforded to at least bring him to camp, so we'll just agree to disagree.

They could have afforded to bring him to camp, certainly. But why bother? He's not showing the effort so, oh well. They could afford to bring me to camp, but it'd be a waste of time and resources. Tell me why he deserves the opportunity.

Now, if I'm Odell Thurman, and my grandma just died, and I KNOW that it's against the rules for them to cut me for not being at VOLUNTARY workouts, I would take the extra time as well. Many of you think he has an obligation to come back right away because he's been out for so long and you're entitled to your opinion, but unless there's something else that happened here, I believe the Bengals made a mistake.

Fair enough, but the "something else" may not be a single event. In fact, it's far more likely the Bengals didn't like everything the were seeing in the month or so that Thurman has been allowed to work out with the team. Let's face it, amongst the most important things the Bengals would have been looking to Odell for would be strong signs of comittment. To that end Lewis pointed to Thurman not being in the building often enough....a remark that I immediately assumed pointed to the last month, not the last week.

Had Thurman returned from the funeral in a day or two...instead of delaying his return long enough to get out of the voluntary workouts...he'd likely still be a Bengal. Instead, he gave them yet another reason to question his comittment.

Well I think we could've afforded to at least bring him to camp, so we'll just agree to disagree.

They could have afforded to bring him to camp, certainly. But why bother? He's not showing the effort so, oh well. They could afford to bring me to camp, but it'd be a waste of time and resources. Tell me why he deserves the opportunity.

Fair enough, but the "something else" may not be a single event. In fact, it's far more likely the Bengals didn't like everything the were seeing in the month or so that Thurman has been allowed to work out with the team. Let's face it, amongst the most important things the Bengals would have been looking to Odell for would be strong signs of comittment. To that end Lewis pointed to Thurman not being in the building often enough....a remark that I immediately assumed pointed to the last month, not the last week.

Had Thurman returned from the funeral in a day or two...instead of delaying his return long enough to get out of the voluntary workouts...he'd likely still be a Bengal. Instead, he gave them yet another reason to question his comittment.

"Why bother, he's not showing the EFFORT"... "The bengals didn't like what they were seeing in the MONTH OR SO that Thurman has been allowed to WORK OUT with the team"... Are you guys reading what your writing? If you can't smell bulls**t here, your smoking crack!

This is about who can play and who can't play. The guys that CAN play, make the the team. Why not bring him to camp then decide if he can play? According to you guys, Odell hasn't showed us anything yet.. No offense, but I'm a little confused... He hasn't had a chance to show what he can do on the field. I can understand that the Bengals might feel like he isn't worth the trouble and wasted resources but jeezuz christ, you've wasted 2 years and when he finally gets re-instated you cut him before camp? Something's wrong here. This is about money, not about Odell's lack of effort.

Oh yeah, I'll tell you why he deserves the oppurtunity. All you have to do is wait and see. He'll get signed and play football this year for another team. Then ask yourself why he deserved the oppurtunity here. HE"S A STUD. VERY RARE type of player.

Hair, How long would you take off from work if your mother died? A week? Two weeks? No less than a week for me and I gaurantee my company would still have my back.

Is this still being argued about? You're what's known as an enabler, agreen. It's a case of bad timing mixed with a history of f**king up that got Odell to this point. NOTHING the Bengals have done (other than drafting him with his history of prior f**k ups at UG) got us to this point. How about laying the blame where it actually lies for once.

Cry me f**king river why dontcha.

I'm clueless? Maybe it's YOU who are stupid. If something else was wrong, the Bengals would say it. They made no qualms about saying why they released Henry. So why would they lie about why they release Thurman? Maybe YOU should check to see if your lights are on at home.

Henry's release was due to legal reasons, which the Bengals could comment on...in the NFL substance abuse policy, players are afforded rights of privacy, THUS this is probably why the Bengals didn't give another reason for Thurman's release. SO, maybe you should learn all the facts before you start calling someone stupid.

;)

That's pretty much my take too, HoF.

For all of the wailing in this thread, the reality seems to be that Odell did NOT come close to fulfilling the conditions laid down on him by the team. For a guy being given a second chance at a life in the NFL, it sure doesn't sound like he grasped just how dedicated he needed to be. Frankly, given what we saw from him as he threw his professional life away the first time around, I don't find that too very surprising...

it looks like that link didnt work

Five simple words explain Thurman’s exit

By Chick Ludwig | Tuesday, May 20, 2008, 10:46 AM

===LUDWIG AT LARGE would like to wish former Cincinnati Bengals Odell Thurman and Chris Henry well in their future endeavors. The team finally owned up to its mistake of drafting both players in 2005 by sending them packing. This is one time it doesn’t hurt to say goodbye.===

Why was linebacker Odell Thurman released on Monday, May 19, 2008?

It boils down to five words.

He could not be trusted.

On the football field, the ball seemed to find him. Four of his five interceptions came on pass deflections in 2005.

Off the field, trouble seemed to find him, too.

Talk about bad timing …

The date was Sept. 25, 2006. The Bengals are 3-0, just coming off an incredible victory at Pittsburgh.

Thurman is a week away from being reinstated from a four-game suspension when he’s stopped at an East End DUI checkpoint and charged with DUI.

He is driving Reggie McNeal’s vehicle, and McNeal and Chris Henry are passengers. Thurman gets suspended until training camp 2007, then gets slapped with another year’s suspension.

And the Bengals haven’t been the same since.

JUST WONDERING …

If Bengals management considered sending Eric Ball, the club’s director of player relations, or any other team representative, with Thurman to Georgia for the funeral of Thurman’s grandmother.

Had Thurman had a team representative with him, maybe, just maybe, he’d have made it back to Cincinnati in time for Tuesday’s OTA.

I’ve covered the team for 12 years and I can honestly say the Bengals are woefully lacking in player services

it looks like that link didnt work

Five simple words explain Thurman’s exit

By Chick Ludwig | Tuesday, May 20, 2008, 10:46 AM

===LUDWIG AT LARGE would like to wish former Cincinnati Bengals Odell Thurman and Chris Henry well in their future endeavors. The team finally owned up to its mistake of drafting both players in 2005 by sending them packing. This is one time it doesn’t hurt to say goodbye.===

Why was linebacker Odell Thurman released on Monday, May 19, 2008?

It boils down to five words.

He could not be trusted.

On the football field, the ball seemed to find him. Four of his five interceptions came on pass deflections in 2005.

Off the field, trouble seemed to find him, too.

Talk about bad timing …

The date was Sept. 25, 2006. The Bengals are 3-0, just coming off an incredible victory at Pittsburgh.

Thurman is a week away from being reinstated from a four-game suspension when he’s stopped at an East End DUI checkpoint and charged with DUI.

He is driving Reggie McNeal’s vehicle, and McNeal and Chris Henry are passengers. Thurman gets suspended until training camp 2007, then gets slapped with another year’s suspension.

And the Bengals haven’t been the same since.

JUST WONDERING …

If Bengals management considered sending Eric Ball, the club’s director of player relations, or any other team representative, with Thurman to Georgia for the funeral of Thurman’s grandmother.

Had Thurman had a team representative with him, maybe, just maybe, he’d have made it back to Cincinnati in time for Tuesday’s OTA.

I’ve covered the team for 12 years and I can honestly say the Bengals are woefully lacking in player services

Good point about Eric Ball, who the Bengals should be re-evaulating these days after the tragic failures of Henry and Thurman. He obviously hasn't done a very good job of helping to manage the players off the field, IMO. At the same time, to me, Odell was walking a thin line, He should have been here. I believe that I read he has only been to the facility a few times, since he was reinstated, and not there as much as the coaches wanted/asked. I am personally glad that the Bengals, for the first time in history, are taking a hard line on off the field issues. I am sure it is being applauded by the coaches, and others both inside and outside the organization. While Thurman is a special talent who will be given another chance in the league, part of winning is having consistency on the roster. I think that Marvin realizes that after all that has happened, he will be held more accountable for players' transgressions.

JUST WONDERING …

Is this guy serious? THESE ARE GROWN FRIGGIN MEN.....They shouldnt need Babysitters to watch them and make sure they come back when they should.

Eric Ball's job is primarily to BE AVAILABLE to ALL players who want or need to talk about any troubles, not to babysit 1 or 2 malcontents.