Marvin Harrison Shooting Thread

Perhaps they shouldn't based on the current way the rules are stated, but those rules need to be changed to account for the actual firing of a gun at someone. Thurman can sit for substance abuse issues, any player that fires a gun at another human being, barring legit self-defense, should be on the shelf, regardless of history.

You could certainly make that argument. One difference with drugs is presumed guilt; ie, nobody's tainting your Gatorade with HGH. If that's the case, then if you blow a test you're guilty. Period.

Having said that, in seriousness, the circumstances here are not totally known at this time and I don't advocate the NFL acting on the situation without the total story. I do believe that, had this been a Bengal, regardless of that player's history, the media, the public and the league would be reacting different.

It's hard to say. I think the fact that Marvin's played for 10 years without getting into any real trouble works in his favor. And it should. Also, there's the fact that this guy came to Marvin's place and harassed him, and has a history of harassing him, to which witnesses can attest. All that makes a theory of self-defense at least plausible. If those conditions didn't hold, then you might see action taken by the league.

I do think that, even had this been a Bengal, we wouldn't see a suspension if it was a guy with credibility like, say, Willie Anderson or John Thornton. If it was Odell or somebody else with a history of problems, you might.

My prior posts indicate that I'm usually one who's perfectly willing to have the league throw the book at morons when there's overwhelming evidence of stupidity. But I really don't think this is one of those times. I don't necessarily think the league needs to wait for resolution at trial, but in this case there's a whooooole lot of unknowns lingering around.

Perhaps they shouldn't based on the current way the rules are stated, but those rules need to be changed to account for the actual firing of a gun at someone. Thurman can sit for substance abuse issues, any player that fires a gun at another human being, barring legit self-defense, should be on the shelf, regardless of history.

You could certainly make that argument. One difference with drugs is presumed guilt; ie, nobody's tainting your Gatorade with HGH. If that's the case, then if you blow a test you're guilty. Period.

Having said that, in seriousness, the circumstances here are not totally known at this time and I don't advocate the NFL acting on the situation without the total story. I do believe that, had this been a Bengal, regardless of that player's history, the media, the public and the league would be reacting different.

My prior posts indicate that I'm usually one who's perfectly willing to have the league throw the book at morons when there's overwhelming evidence of stupidity. But I really don't think this is one of those times. I don't necessarily think the league needs to wait for resolution at trial, but in this case there's a whooooole lot of unknowns lingering around.

I agree with that. The drug cases are usually a no-brainer. Chris Henry/Pacman Jones are no-brainers. A lot of it does go to history. Henry/Jones get no benefits of the doubt, and shouldn't. I think most will be content to let Harrison's unfold because he doesn't have the history. If the evidence shows he acted inappropriately with a gun, however, the league should, and I will assume until proven otherwise, will treat him like everyone else, Bengal and non-Bengal.

I agree with that. The drug cases are usually a no-brainer. Chris Henry/Pacman Jones are no-brainers. A lot of it does go to history. Henry/Jones get no benefits of the doubt, and shouldn't. I think most will be content to let Harrison's unfold because he doesn't have the history. If the evidence shows he acted inappropriately with a gun, however, the league should, and I will assume until proven otherwise, will treat him like everyone else, Bengal and non-Bengal.

I should hope so. One interesting wild card will be how the Colts' front office treats it. If you believe PFT (and really, who doesn't?), then Bill Polian is an agressive little monkey with a lot of clout with the league. So I will be interested to see if he starts popping up should this get more serious.

Given his track record, I'm not going to toss Marvin under the bus, but he's going to have to give some good answers to some tough questions.

I should hope so. One interesting wild card will be how the Colts' front office treats it. If you believe PFT (and really, who doesn't?), then Bill Polian is an agressive little monkey with a lot of clout with the league. So I will be interested to see if he starts popping up should this get more serious.

Given his track record, I'm not going to toss Marvin under the bus, but he's going to have to give some good answers to some tough questions.

IMO there aren't many good answers to the facts as they now stand. The rounds fired have been traced to his weapon, he was seen arguing with the victim beforehand, and even though the victim may have been harassing Marvin beforehand, it doesn't give Harrison the right to shoot him without his life being threatened, and this case currently does not appear that way.

I'm a staunch defender of the second amendment, but I do not advocate the use of firearms in this manner. This should have been settled with fists at most.

IMO there aren't many good answers to the facts as they now stand. The rounds fired have been traced to his weapon, he was seen arguing with the victim beforehand, and even though the victim may have been harassing Marvin beforehand, it doesn't give Harrison the right to shoot him without his life being threatened, and this case currently does not appear that way.

I'm a staunch defender of the second amendment, but I do not advocate the use of firearms in this manner. This should have been settled with fists at most.

And I'm with you on that. If the facts play out to be as we now believe, as you have accurately stated, it doesn't look good. I believe the ramifications should be so staunch, however, that everyone from law enforcement to the NFL to the Colts need to make sure all the I's are dotted and the T's crossed. If this were one of our cases, every possible angle would be investigated and answered before going to grand jury. It has to be right.

• 2 weeks later...