Do the Bengals take a Center?

jjakq27

After reading Hobby's article about the other teams in the division, it made me wonder if the Bengals take a Center in this draft to replace Ghiachuc. Cleveland has really improved their D-line and Casey Hampton blew him up several times last year. I know you rarely see a rookie Center play much unless there is injury but I think he is too small and he needs to go. That position is one of the hidden reasons why at times this team has struggled on offense over the last two seasons, especially running the ball.

Don't forget centers take a little while to develop. I don't see a reason to give up on Gooey. Best case scenario even if this was a C-heavy draft (which as Hoosier points out it isn't) is that we take another guy and reset the clock on the development of the dude who directly stands between Carson and about 700 lbs of fat smelly meat.

Right now the wheel that squeaks the most is the defense: DT or LB. Fix this wheel first, the offense will perform and score points. If our defense can stay off the field with better play, our offense will score points.... yes center is a concern but so is tackle.... I am not sold on the drafting either positions on the first day. Mangold was the last center taken that started his first year, but that man is a stud, no one is coming out is another Mangold.

Center is a HUGE need. People talk about OT being a need but Willie and Levi are better at 80% than Girl-chick is at 100%.

Agreed. I think the long term solution would have been to retain Steinbach and play him at Center. I think he was too light to play guard against some of the bigger guys. I felt like he played well at Center when Braham was out and Whitworth played Guard.

I know economics were a big factor but that's where keeping Willie and Levi would have come under some serious scrutiny. In all honesty I probably would have let Willie go. I am afraid he will have a hard time playing consecutive games this year.

hopefully in the third..I ha-ha-ha-hate! girl-check

Yeah, good thing we have more reliable players like Thurman on the roster.....oh wait.....

id take Thurman's one season of greatness he had and never speak of him again then have girl-check play for 10 mediocre to poor seasons on this team as a starter, i'm also feeling you'll regret that statement sometime in the future.

Center is a HUGE need. People talk about OT being a need but Willie and Levi are better at 80% than Girl-chick is at 100%.

Meh I think we are set at OT inless Levi does drop off but I think once he recovered from his injury he was playing fine...

Center was our weakest position on the line besides left guard when whitworth had to play tackle.

hopefully in the third..I ha-ha-ha-hate! girl-check

Yeah, good thing we have more reliable players like Thurman on the roster.....oh wait.....

id take Thurman's one season of greatness he had and never speak of him again then have girl-check play for 10 mediocre to poor seasons on this team as a starter, i'm also feeling you'll regret that statement sometime in the future.

Agreed....I miss Rich : (

In 2006, Ghiaciuc did fine when Braham was hurt. He had some injuries last year but if he's healthy, I'm not too worried about center. We could use a young guard to replace Bobbie down the road so I'd be fine with McGlynn or Velasco (both of whom can play guard or center) from the 4th for McGlynn or 5th round for Velasco on.

Yes. Guychick sux. Stepanovich was not much of a mauler in the running game but he pass blocked better, but he is gone to Atlanta. Paul ALexander sux as a coach and cannot evaluate talent.

THe centers do not look very impressive. I suspect they may take a somewhat athletic guard or tackle-- someone just a little small to be a good RG but has good technique.

Remember Richie was a guard and the moved him over.

You need a stronger guard in the AFC central.... all three opponents play nose tackles in the 3-4

Paul does a good job with high draft picks....but wheres our day 2 players that are good?(Outside of Stacey Andrews.

Our 2005 Oline

Levi Jones=Day 1st rounder

Eric Steinbach = 2nd rounder

Rich Braham =3rd rounder

Bobby Williams =2nd Rounder

Willie Anderson = 1st Rounder

So by what this is telling me we might as well not draft Olinemen outside of the first 3 rounds.

In 2006, Ghiaciuc did fine when Braham was hurt. He had some injuries last year but if he's healthy, I'm not too worried about center. We could use a young guard to replace Bobbie down the road so I'd be fine with McGlynn or Velasco (both of whom can play guard or center) from the 4th for McGlynn or 5th round for Velasco on.

Levi,Eric,Bobbie and Willie were making the proper calls needed,but when guycheck made the calls it wasn't a very pretty thing.I think our pass protection last year was highly overrated because people were bursting threw the middle causing carson to make early throws leading to interceptions ala low sack count.