What/ Who effects our Draft

mgilgris

1. Who would be the teams that would trade up to get into the to 10 or top 5?

Panthers? Saints? If not for a D-Line pick up then who?

2. Other things that could effect the draft?

One thing that I think could have a huge effect on our draft is whether Jonathan Ogden retires for the Ravens. That may force their hand in picking up another O-Line which could allow us to sneak a D-Line

One thing that I think could have a huge effect on our draft is whether Jonathan Ogden retires for the Ravens. That may force their hand in picking up another O-Line which could allow us to sneak a D-Line

Ravens probably won't go O-line in the first. Ogden missed a lot of time last year and they got by without him. CB and QB are much bigger needs for them. If Ryan falls, they'll probably take him, otherwise I'd bet on a CB.

I already believe the Raven will go o-line in Rd1...They also need help QB, but Ryan is the only one worthy of a high pick and he will go to Atlanta..

There is a wild card here with Al Davis at #4. He just signed Jemarcus to a monster deal last year, only has 5 picks this year, 4 in day 2. What is the odds that he might want to trade down for more, cheaper picks? Now what are the chances Cincy would want to move up and sign someone to a much more expensive deal?

I can definitely see Oakland trying to move down, but probably well past #9. The other teams ahead of the Bengals are in good shape with at least 7 picks, all except the Jets sitting with 6. I don't see them moving down though. All in all, I think it will be harder than normal for teams to trade up once Oakland makes its pick.

Ravens probably won't go O-line in the first. Ogden missed a lot of time last year and they got by without him. CB and QB are much bigger needs for them. If Ryan falls, they'll probably take him, otherwise I'd bet on a CB.

They got by, but not well...

I already believe the Raven will go o-line in Rd1...They also need help QB, but Ryan is the only one worthy of a high pick and he will go to Atlanta..

There is a wild card here with Al Davis at #4. He just signed Jemarcus to a monster deal last year, only has 5 picks this year, 4 in day 2. What is the odds that he might want to trade down for more, cheaper picks? Now what are the chances Cincy would want to move up and sign someone to a much more expensive deal?

I can definitely see Oakland trying to move down, but probably well past #9. The other teams ahead of the Bengals are in good shape with at least 7 picks, all except the Jets sitting with 6. I don't see them moving down though. All in all, I think it will be harder than normal for teams to trade up once Oakland makes its pick.

The Raiders are taking McFadden if he isn't taken by the Dolphins. Al is getting old and he knows his time is running out and he wants to bring back the feeling he had back when Bo knew best.

On the Ravens: I believe they will take a CB or OL with their first rounder. They just got Ngata two years ago so they don't really need a DT in the first round. I believe Jake Long will get taken by either the Rams or the Chiefs because Parcells is going to draft Matt Ryan (Who I think looks like Carson). The big shocker of this draft is when Cromartie passes up that guy from troy as the Draft's top corner and the Pats take him. I saw him at the Senior bowl and he is a nasty defender. That leaves Mr. Troy dropping to the Ravens at 8. So my draft goes like this:

Miami- Matt Ryan

Rams- Jake Long

Falcons- Dorsey or Ellis

Raiders- McFadden

Chiefs- Clady

Jets- Gholston

Pats- Cromartie

Ravens- McKelvin

Bengals- Dorsey or Ellis (Whoever the Falcons pass on).

There is a chance that the Saints trade with the Ravens knowing we aren't going to take a CB the Ravens could drop down and still get their guy. Also, the Cowboys aren't trading up to get McFadden, it would cost way to much when they could stay put and get a young WR and their tailback who I believe will be Johnathen Stewart (Who will be a steal that late).

First, Johnathan Ogden is already on record as saying that the " Ravens should prepare this season like He WILL NOT be a part of the Ravens offense in '08".

per profootballweekly.

Second. - There's No way in hell that Mike Brown will want to trade up and pay the extra bucks that come from doing so.

- The Bengals will stand pat, and if they do anything, it will be to trade down, but only a few spots. So Carolina and maybe Arizona are your two highest suspects in any trade move.

Who effects our Draft?

Obviously, the major impact is from the folks who make up our draft board (Marvin, Mikey, Bill Tobin & scouts, Bob B. and Offensive assistants, and the new DC and his guys). Strangely enough, who they target in the middle and late rounds impacts who they will pick in round 1. If they are confidant they can fill a perceived need later in the draft (DT?), they are less likely to try to fill that position early. Also, Mikey has a fiscal responsibility not to overpay for any one position, and that will definitely impact the pick.

So my draft goes like this:

Miami- Matt Ryan

Rams- Jake Long

Falcons- Dorsey or Ellis

Raiders- McFadden

Chiefs- Clady

Jets- Gholston

Pats- Cromartie

Saints / Ravens- McKelvin

Bengals- Dorsey or Ellis (Whoever the Falcons pass on).

Every team's draft board is going to look different, based on need, "fit" into the teams scheme's and lockerrooms, and personal bias. The consensus top 9, who will be on many of the team's top 5, are:

1)Chris Long - may be 'safest' top 10 pick, but a better fit for a 4-3 (Falcons, Raiders, Chiefs) then 3-4

2)Vernon Gholston - Universally hailed as a top 3 talent - "Can't Miss" Prospect

3)Glenn Dorsey - A top 3 defender in this draft, but do you risk $20 million with his injury history?

4)Matt Ryan - Some really like him, but with his (lack of) speed and arm strength, very few will have them in their top 3.

5)Jake Long - Did not show the athleticism of an elite LT (i.e. Joe Thomas), but definitely top 10

6)Sedrick Ellis - A top 5 defender, but too small for NFL NG and too slow for end in a 3-4 (see C.Long)

7)D. McFadden - Character warts have removed him from some boards. Is he an every down back?

8)D.Rodgers-Cromartie - A top DB, but every small school player is labeled as a first year "project"

9)L. McKelvin - see DRC. Pretty equivalent in talent, but more versatile.

Ryan Clady - with a low score in the wonderluc test, has dropped out of the top 10

Knocking on the door are Mendenhall, Mike Jenkins, Kieth Rivers, OL trio (Albert, Otah, Williams), and, largely because of their huge demand, the DE's Harvey, Groves, & Merling.

Who will move down? The top 5 are stuck, because of the price tag in guaranteed $$$. They'd have to practically 'give away' the pick, which won't be recieved well by current players or fan base.

Jets? Unless someone is targeting a specific corner or Gholston, there's no need to jump in front of the Pats.

Pats? Everybody has them taking a CB, but I could see them doing something weird (again). Harvey, Q.Groves, and Rivers are all possible (and will be instantly hailed as a "brilliant" move !!! Only if Ryan is on the board will they hear decent trade offers.

Rat-birds - If they are primarily targeting OL help, they could move down. However, if they are targeting a CB, they need to stay here - the Saints, Bills, and Broncos all need DB help. If they are targeting QB, it depends which one - if Cameron wants Brohm, they'll desperately try to drop down into the 17 - 21 range.

I suspect one of the elite 4 DL will be there at #9.

There are two things that will be the primary impacts to the Bengals getting a crack at either Dorsey or Ellis, which is about all I care about related to this discussion.

1. Who takes Ryan.

Will he be a dolphin? I don't think he will go 1. Just not impressive enough to gamble the #1 pick on. Will he go to ATL? I think so. they need to fully move past Vick and Ryan can be the guy.

2. Will a couple of the top CB's go in the first 8. Ravens and NE could take one but, again, even NE could snag a guy like Rivers with their aging LB corp. Raven need an OT and CB in a bad way...

I think these two factors are what will decide who slides down to 9 from the top 12 or so players.

If we cannot get one of the two DT's I'd prefer trade down however that requires a viable partner who "wants" a player still there in our slot.

It could be that a team in the top 8 want to front load with two good r1 players. KC could unload some picks so they can grab an OL and a CB...

there are just so many ways to slice and dice this up, it makes a guy nuts.

but, it boils down to Ryan and who takes the CB's.

I really think New Orleans is still the team I'm most concerned about jumping us to take one of the 2 DT's in either Dorsey or Ellis. I also see no reason for either Baltimore or Kansas City to NOT trade down if the opportunity presents itself.

#1. Kansas City could either stay put and take DL if they choose or could trade down with say New Orleans and still take Clady or Otah with the 10th pick. Baltimore could do the same and as I have mentioned numerous times, could screw the Bengals at the same time in not allowing us to get one of the DT's we are targeting.

#2. While I am MORE THAN AWARE the Bengals have rarely traded up (I think once), they have made a strong push trying to upgrade the DL (DT position) and see no reason for them not to be just as active in the draft. I know it's not quite as attractive to some here, but this is the year I see it as big a possibility as ever before...

WHODEY !!!

Every pick between 5 and 9 is critical. If Dorsey/Ellis goes top 4 then KC might take the second DT. I believe they will go OT rather than DT because it represents a much greater need but if the guy they have targeted in indeed Otah they could take him at #9 or #10 just as easily as #5 so they are a prime trade down candidate. The Jets are a complete wild card I could make an arguement that they could take QB, RB, OT, DT, DE, OLB, CB, S I do not believe either player (Dorsey or Ellis) fits as a NT in a 3-4 so I think they will go Gholston who will (IMHO) represent the best value at #6. Neither New England nor Baltimore are likely to take a DT, both teams will and should look to their secondary but both teams might be willing to trade down for the right price, and I expect New England to field as many offers as possible and Baltimore will not entertain offers from the Bengals unless it is Ditka-esque.

If we decide we must get either Dorsey or Ellis then we have to start talking to New England now because if one of them falls past KC then he will likely be available at #7 and we know that both Cincy and New Orleans are coveting (New Orleans will likely go hard after Dorsey, in particular, if he is there.)

Well, New Orleans put money into the CB position with them getting Jason David, Randall Gay, and a 3rd on Usama Young last draft. They also went out and got Vilma from the Jets. While they still could use an impact OLB, their DT position has been alot like the Bengals (SH*TTY)... If they don't trade up for a DT that you KNOW won't be there at #10, I can't see them going in any other direction than Keith Rivers...

WHODEY !!!

Well, New Orleans put money into the CB position with them getting Jason David, Randall Gay, and a 3rd on Usama Young last draft. They also went out and got Vilma from the Jets. While they still could use an impact OLB, their DT position has been alot like the Bengals (SH*TTY)... If they don't trade up for a DT that you KNOW won't be there at #10, I can't see them going in any other direction than Keith Rivers...

WHODEY !!!

Jason freakin' David? On Bourbon Street he's known as "Le Toast Francais".

Usama Young? Would you vote for a guy named Usama? :lol:

And the problem with Randall Gay - he's a system guy. Pats players never seem to do well away from bean town.

2007 Saints Highlight Film: Reggie Wayne burning their secondary at will on the NFL opening night. Joey Galloway, who's old enough to join AARP, got 290 YARDS IN 2 GAMES!

They are desperate, and need at least 2 high quality DB's out of this draft.

(I think Carolina would give us one of their 3rds to jump ahead of the rival Saints and steal Jenkins or McKelvie or DRC from them)

Chris Henry getting cut today probably has a huge impact.

Now our receiving corps is made up of two lead WRs on the wrong side of 30, one of whom is disgruntled and the other in the last year of his deal, backed up by the oft-injured Antonio Chatman, Glenn Holt...and I guess Bennie Brazell. Ugh.

Are there any leftover bargain-bin FA WRs out there? Might have to go the stopgap route...

Hollis Thomas, Antwan Lake, Orien Harris, Kendrick Clancy, McKinley Boykin, Brian Young any of these guys strike fear in your heart as an offense?

26th in the league in total defense giving 4 yards per carry on the ground and finishing 19th in the league in sacks.

Chris Henry getting cut today probably has a huge impact.

Yes . . . . . . . and No.

WR has always been on Marvin's shopping list - preferably a speedy return guy.

RB is on his list, with Irons and Perry doubtful.

DB is on his list, with Madieus departure.

OL is on his list for depth.

DL & maybe WLB are still at the top of his list :hammer:

Fortunately, this draft is EXTREMELY deep at WR. For example:

WR - the 10th - 12th rated WR's would have been mid-2nd rounders last year, BUT WILL BE THERE LATE IN THE 3RD 'CAUSE THIS DRAFT IS SO FREAKIN' DEEP. They are

10) Jordy Nelson, Kan St - Ht: 6-2. Wgt: 217. 40 Time: 4.4. Link:

11) Andre Caldwell, Fla - Hgt: 6-0. Wgt: 204. 40 Time: 4.37. Link: Bye-bye Bubba

12) William Franklin, Mo - Hgt: 6-0. Wgt: 214. 40 Time: 4.37. Link:

I REALLY like that kid from Richmond in the 5th or 6th:

Arman Shields, Richmond - Hgt: 6-0. Wgt: 194. 40 Time: 4.37. He had a 38" vertical - the kid has springs, and reportedly very 'soft' hands!

TRADE DOWN !!! :beatdeadhorse: