Out With the New, In With the Old

HoosierCat

With the Bengals, it's always Old Washed Up Dudes. With Hollywood, its Old Washed Up Films...

Planned movies sequels you didn't know about (and to which to common reaction is, why the hell would they remake that piece of crap?)

Some lowlights:

Logan’s Run

Uber-producer Joel Silver is pushing this long-mooted remake, which has director Joseph Kosinski attached (whose name is also being linked with the new Tron film). Logan’s Run is believed to be first in line, though, and a 2010 release is being mooted.

Friday The 13th

Marcus Nispel – director of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake – has inked his name on the dotted to helm the remake of the original Friday The 13th movie. It’s a great solution: run out of sequels, start at the beginning! It’s in pre-production now for a 2009 release.

Tron

Will it be a sequel? Will it be a remake? Will they call it a ‘reimagining’? All these questions and more are set to be answered, as three decades on, Tron will be heading back to the big screen in 2010.

Footloose

Surely not? The 80s musical could be coming back to life if director Kenny Ortega has anything to do with it. That said, given he directed High School Musical and its spin-offs, he’d probably be allowed to do anything he wanted in Hollywood right now. Sigh. Footloose has thus far been optioned, and may go before the camera this year.

With the Bengals, it's always Old Washed Up Dudes. With Hollywood, its Old Washed Up Films...

Planned movies sequels you didn't know about (and to which to common reaction is, why the hell would they remake that piece of crap?)

Logan's Run

Never was a big fan of that movie.

Friday The 13th

Nor this one.

Tron

I did like the graphics which were kinda cool for it's time. I thought the part near the end when they discover the core of the computer was kinda dumb though. It seemed like Jabba the Hut or something trapped in a cylinder. Anyway I am sure if the spiffed up the story line a little, they could really make something cool with all of the CG stuff that is available 25 years later.

Footloose

What's next? Flashdance and Dirty Dancing?

Personally I would like to see a remake of something like The Warriors or Escape from New York.

Logan's Run

Never was a big fan of that movie.

I always thought it had a certain dumb charm: after the apocalypse, you live in a big shopping mall, bang random hotties off the "circuit" every night, and get shot dead by laser fire at age 30. The problem was it needed to be an intentional comedy, not the accidental howler that it was.

Footloose

What's next?...Dirty Dancing?

Actually, yes. I know, kill me now.

Personally I would like to see a remake of something like The Warriors or Escape from New York.

Both great goofy fun. Can't see how either would be improved by a second go-around. If Hollywood is going to insist on remaking movies, how about some of the ones they effed up royally the first time out? For example, Starship Troopers, which shares nothing significant beyond the title and a few character names with the book.

Starship Troopers, which shares nothing significant beyond the title and a few character names with the book.

Now you've gone too far. Starship Troopers was easy on the eyes and funny. Any movie filled with poontang, guns, and giant bugs that you blaze away at with automatic weapons is ok with me. Starship Troopers, I salute you! (And it's stupid ending which was a total setup for the sequel that has never been made).

Starship Troopers, which shares nothing significant beyond the title and a few character names with the book.

Now you've gone too far. Starship Troopers was easy on the eyes and funny. Any movie filled with poontang, guns, and giant bugs that you blaze away at with automatic weapons is ok with me. Starship Troopers, I salute you! (And it's stupid ending which was a total setup for the sequel that has never been made).

Yes, I loved Starship Troopers. I remember watching it at the theater with my brother and dad. Great film and a good memory... Still waiting for the sequel, damnit.

Hey, if they would have called it Bugfight at the OK Space Corral I wouldn't have a problem. But all relationship to Heinlein's novel is purely coincidental.

Hollywood should hire you to title movies. Bugfight at the OK Space Corral is so much better than Starship Troopers it's not even funny. I never read the book, so I didn't have any problem in that regard.