CHAD’S GOOD DEAL GONE BAD

Ox

If you thought Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson was upset before, what about now?

Now that Arizona’s Larry Fitzgerald has signed a four-year, $40 million contract.

While Fitzgerald breaks the bank with $10 million per year for four years, Johnson is boxed in by a contract that went from good to bad in a hurry.

“Chad’s got to be crying,” one NFL insider told me.

Why? Because he’s between a rock and a hard place … for the next four years.

The $35.5 million extension Johnson signed in April 2006, which included a fat $10.75 million signing bonus, looked great at the time. But it doesn’t look so good anymore compared to Fitzgerald’s monster deal.

Johnson is due to earn $3 million in 2008, $4.5 million in 2009, $5 million in 2010 and $6 million in 2011. That’s $18.5 million.

In that same span, Fitzgerald will make $40 million — $22.5 million more than Chad.

Chad cannot be happy. But he has only two people to blame: himself and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus. Instead of waiting for Chad to reach free agency in 2009, they leaped on the Bengals’ six-year extension in 2006.

The following are Rosenhaus’ quotes I wrote in the Dayton Daily News back on April 20, 2006. I laugh every time I read them:

“It’s a great day for Chad and the Bengals for him to be able to finish his career as a Bengal. It was a very smooth process. We’ve been working on it for a year. It’s a great victory for everybody involved.

“I can’t really think of any deal like this. I give a lot of credit to the Bengals for reworking a contract that had four years left, and you’ve got to take your hat off to Chad. He’s a great player, on and off the field, to merit this type of unique situation. It shows you what a phenomenal player he is.”

The Bengals are shrewd negotiators. They dangled the carrot on the string, and Rosenhaus-Johnson swallowed it hook, line and sinker.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/s...alk_giants.html

How does the saying go? "It's only too much money when it isn't yours or you owe it."

I'm never going to say someone doesn't have the right to go after what they think they deserve....but when were talking a few millions here and there at some point it all becomes irrelevant. Especially if you save and invest it properly you won't have to worry about a paycheck ever again.

When the NFL Network announced Fitzgeralds new contract Adam Schefter claimed the negotiations had been closely watched by several veteran wideouts and would be used as the new financial measuring stick. I immediately thought of TJ, but the only name Schefter mentioned was....Chad.

Schefter then stated that numerous teams had approached the Bengals about trading for Chad but in the folowing weeks had reluctantly accepted the Bengals position of there being a "zero percent" chance he'd be moved. And now that Fitzgerald has signed his extension Shefter claimed people around the NFL were waiting to see what Chad's next move would be.

Fresh douchebaggery, no doubt.

When the NFL Network announced Fitzgeralds new contract Adam Schefter claimed the negotiations had been closely watched by several veteran wideouts and would be used as the new financial measuring stick. I immediately thought of TJ, but the only name Schefter mentioned was....Chad.

Schefter then stated that numerous teams had approached the Bengals about trading for Chad but in the folowing weeks had reluctantly accepted the Bengals position of there being a "zero percent" chance he'd be moved. And now that Fitzgerald has signed his extension Shefter claimed people around the NFL were waiting to see what Chad's next move would be.

...no doubt at all.

What we may just witness will be a hissy-fit that would make an 11-year old girl being told her Mom lost the eBay auction for Hannah Montana tickets look like a xanax induced, white wine summer evening.

Get the F over it, Mr. CJ. There will always be someone who comes along and gets more, makes more, is faster, catches more passes, has more TD's.

This should be a very good barometer on CJ's maturity.

7This should be a very good barometer on CJ's maturity.

My weather prediction - a huge drop in barometric pressure, bring on tropical storm "Chad". <_<

...no doubt at all.

What we may just witness will be a hissy-fit that would make an 11-year old girl being told her Mom lost the eBay auction for Hannah Montana tickets look like a xanax induced, white wine summer evening.

Get the F over it, Mr. CJ. There will always be someone who comes along and gets more, makes more, is faster, catches more passes, has more TD's.

Chad has little leverage, TJ has all the leverage and he'll get the action with a deal much better than Chad's in guaranteed bling. Chad knew when he signed the contract it would be outclassed in time, still given he has just a couple peak years left, why wouldn't he explore every option to get some Larry money? The question will be how he goes about it.

yeah, that is bad, I would hate to be paid millions of dollars to play a game. It would SUCK!

Would you like being under paid for what you do?Just because football is supposed to be fun doesn't mean you take less money.

It's still a business.

PS,with that being said it would be a reason to be unhappy but he wasn't forced to sign that contract.

...no doubt at all.

Chad has little leverage, TJ has all the leverage and he'll get the action with a deal much better than Chad's in guaranteed bling. Chad knew when he signed the contract it would be outclassed in time, still given he has just a couple peak years left, why wouldn't he explore every option to get some Larry money? The question will be how he goes about it.

He should have thought about that before taking the $$$. People do it every day in business. They take a bird in the hand, not knowing how things will turn out for security. You don't get to it both ways..... Or you shouldn't be able to..

When TJ gets his, Chad will cry until he is out of town..

yeah, that is bad, I would hate to be paid millions of dollars to play a game. It would SUCK!

Would you like being under paid for what you do?Just because football is supposed to be fun doesn't mean you take less money.

It's still a business.

PS,with that being said it would be a reason to be unhappy but he wasn't forced to sign that contract.

My point is that it is a game really no player should be paid that amount. However, he signed the contract when he did, it's his own fault, he needs to live up to the contract he signed. Even if I'm underpaid in comparison to people who do the same type of job as me; if I've signed a contract, I do the job.

I find it amusing that quite a few people on this board are already talking smack about what Chad is going to say about the Fitzgerald contract, rather than what he has said so far, which is nothing. If Chad goes on another tirade after this, let the bashing begin! But why not wait until he has actually done something to piss the fans off again, instead of bashing him for what he might do?

I find it amusing that quite a few people on this board are already talking smack about what Chad is going to say about the Fitzgerald contract, rather than what he has said so far, which is nothing. If Chad goes on another tirade after this, let the bashing begin! But why not wait until he has actually done something to piss the fans off again, instead of bashing him for what he might do?

Only thing that surprises me is that it took a day for someone to draw the connection, and that that someone was Chick Ludwig, not sh*t-stirrer extraordinaire Mike Florio.

Chad's deal looks not-so-good now? Well, duh, Chicky, most deals do two or three years later, especially in post-new-CBA era. The idea that the Bengals somehow pulled the wool over Chad & Drew's eyes is laughable; in fact, their twin recognition that a big payday would be in the offing were Chad to shake loose strikes me as the most likely explanation for Chad's antics earlier this year.

But the media is what it is. I said when this all got started that it didn't matter what Chad or the Bengals said or did, the media would keep picking at this particular scab all offseason. And so it's been: Chad has gone dark since the pro bowl, the Bengals have made it clear they are not trading him...and still, let one big deal for a wideout go down and immediately it's, OMG what about Chad?!?!?!?

The $35.5 million extension Johnson signed in April 2006, which included a fat $10.75 million signing bonus, looked great at the time. But it doesn’t look so good anymore compared to Fitzgerald’s monster deal.

Johnson is due to earn $3 million in 2008, $4.5 million in 2009, $5 million in 2010 and $6 million in 2011. That’s $18.5 million.

In that same span, Fitzgerald will make $40 million — $22.5 million more than Chad.

Even if he wants to bitch and he prob will.

If you look at the number for his two new deals, the 2003 - 5yr/$25 million ($5 mill upfront) & in 2006 he got $16 million in new money for the last two year more than Fitzgerald got! Fitzgerald on the other hand already has two 100 catch 1400 yard seasons, something CJ did not do til his 5th and 7th season.

So if you try to compare contracts 2 years apart the most current one will always looks to dwarf the old one since you are comparing one with bonuses vs. just base salaries (now that his bonuses $21 million over 4 years have been paid)...

Under his existing contract, Johnson would have earned $5.75 million in 2006-2007 and the base salaries due him through 2009 totaled $12.15 million.

The new contract will pay Johnson $16 million between this season and 2007 and, assuming the Bengals exercise the option for 2011, a total of $35.5 million. That's a whopping $10.75 million in "new money" for the extension portion of the contract.

Johnson will receive a $5 million signing bonus, a $250,000 reporting bonus, a $250,000 workout bonus and a base salary of $2.75 million for 2006. That base salary is the same as he was scheduled to make under his previous contract. In 2007, he is due a $3.5 million option bonus, a reporting bonus of $1.5 million, a $250,000 workout bonus and a $2.5 million base salary.

The base salaries for the balance of the deal are as follows: $3 million (for 2008), $4.5 million (2009), $5 million (2010) and $6 million (2011). There are workout bonuses of $250,000 in each of those seasons. If the Bengals do not exercise the option for the 2011 campaign, they must make Johnson a non-exercise payment of $3.5 million.

In 3 years there will probably be a story in the Phoenix Daily Gleaner about how Larry Fitzgerald's deal once looked great and now looks lame compared to the deal just signed by Chris Henry. Okay, just kidding about the Henry part, but you get my point, right? Every year's deals get leaps and bounds better than the last -- it's just the way it is. This deal probably says more about the relative lack of sophistication of the AZ front office than it does about anybody else's deals.

I said when this all got started that it didn't matter what Chad or the Bengals said or did, the media would keep picking at this particular scab all offseason. And so it's been: Chad has gone dark since the pro bowl, the Bengals have made it clear they are not trading him...and still, let one big deal for a wideout go down and immediately it's, OMG what about Chad?!?!?!?

So you and the General think the media and fans are being unfair to Chad simply because he's not popping off this week? Please. The fact remains that Chad Johnson just ended a month long Magical Misery Tour, playing the victim for anyone who held a microphone. Do you guys really think writers weren't going to notice that? Do you really think that many of them wouldn't listen to Chad's incoherent rants and wonder what was really bugging him? Or offer their own opinions suggesting the real problem might relate to money?

It's ridiculous to claim that it doesn't matter what Chad Johnson does or says, especially considering the totally unprofessional way he's acted for more than a year, and I'd bet a kidney Chad Johnson hasn't "gone dark".

In fact, I'm willing to bet the next time he opens his mouth...the same tired s**t falls out.

The fact remains that Chad Johnson just ended a month long Magical Misery Tour,

A month ago.

playing the victim for anyone who held a microphone. Do you guys really think writers weren't going to notice that? Do you really think that many of them wouldn't listen to Chad's incoherent rants and wonder what was really bugging him? Or offer their own opinions suggesting the real problem might relate to money?

Yup, they did. A month ago. Then the pro bowl ended, the sports media moved on to basketball and spring training, and nothing's been heard from Chad or Drew since.

Yet let Fitzgerald get a new deal and, yes, the "same tired s**t" comes out, even though Chad's said nothing in a month and the Bengals have said repeatedly they won't deal him. Pick, pick pick.

Yet let Fitzgerald get a new deal and, yes, the "same tired s**t" comes out, even though Chad's said nothing in a month and the Bengals have said repeatedly they won't deal him. Pick, pick pick.

Well, when did you make your claim the media would write whatever they wanted regardless of what Chad Johnson did or said? It was long before he went on his prolonged "trade me because Chris Mortenson disrespected me" rant, right? So quite frankly, your bucket only holds water if Chad Johnson acts like a professional but the media still depicted him as a douchebag.

Didn't happen.

Instead, Chad acted like a douchebag and confirmed everyones suspicions. And yeah, they're going to portray him as a douchebag from now on. Because that's what he is.

Well, when did you make your claim the media would write whatever they wanted regardless of what Chad Johnson did or said?

And that matters why? What does when I made my claim have to do with it? The facts of the matter are that Chad hasn't been heard from in weeks -- despite, I might note, plenty of opportunity thanks to Shaun Smith -- yet once Larry gets his deal both Ludwig and Schefter rush to drag a non-story out again. No quotes from Chad. No quotes from Drew. No quotes from the team. Nothing but the kind of unsourced PFT-level rumormongering and speculation you claim to abhor so much.

Fitzgerald had the Leverage. The cardinals signed him to a ridiculous contract that he cashed in every escalator. he was scheduled to make something like 30 mill in the next TWO YEARS.

So what if chad doesn't like it. Chad can go eff himself anytime he likes. :o

Well, when did you make your claim the media would write whatever they wanted regardless of what Chad Johnson did or said?

And that matters why? What does when I made my claim have to do with it?

It matters because your claim the media would continue writing whatever the wanted regardless of what Chad said or did doesn't mean squat unless their depiction of him as an unprofessional douche was in any way unfair. But it isn't. And that's true because Chad just spent three weeks rewriting the definition of unprofessional & erratic behavior. Sheesh, you act like Chad has played no role whatsoever in crafting his new image. In truth, the number of players who have acted as unprofessionally as Chad did in the weeks following the end of the regular season until the close of Pro Bowl events is remarkably small, and people have not only noticed, but now expect more and more of the same.

The facts of the matter are that Chad hasn't been heard from in weeks -- despite, I might note, plenty of opportunity thanks to Shaun Smith....

It seems to me that if Chad Johnson is attempting to force a trade he couldn't have found a better partner than Shaun Smith. Smith, safely cocooned on another teams roster, just opened up an old wound and in the process made it more difficult for anyone to defend Chad's actions. In fact, trade chants were quickly renewed, and fresh embarrassment was heaped upon the Bengals.

-- yet once Larry gets his deal both Ludwig and Schefter rush to drag a non-story out again. No quotes from Chad. No quotes from Drew.

There's no justifiable reason for ignoring the things Chad and his agent have said in the last couple of months simply because Chad's mouth isn't open at this very moment. His agent has openly stated that he's still working "behind the scenes" to force a trade, and prior to Chad's meltdown was attempting to renegotiate a new contract extension. So it's only natural to assume money matters play a major role in Chad's frustration.

Which is sorta ironic because my opinion of his value goes down everytime he bumps his gums.

It matters because your claim the media would continue writing whatever the wanted regardless of what Chad said or did doesn't mean squat unless their depiction of him as an unprofessional douche was in any way unfair.

It doesn't matter whether it's fair or not, in fact, that's my point. Whether Chad pitched a fit (as he did in Jan and early Feb) or said nothing (as he had since) the narrative was set. It was set last season the second the camera caught Chad and Palmer arguing.

There's no justifiable reason for ignoring the things Chad and his agent have said in the last couple of months

No there isn't, yet the media doesn't seem to recall that Chad said he wasn't holding out and expected to be playing in Cincy this fall. And that is the end of the story so far. If/when Chad kicks up a fuss over Larry's deal, then we have something. Until then, it's just rumormongering and speculation.

It matters because your claim the media would continue writing whatever the wanted regardless of what Chad said or did doesn't mean squat unless their depiction of him as an unprofessional douche was in any way unfair.

It doesn't matter whether it's fair or not, in fact, that's my point. Whether Chad pitched a fit (as he did in Jan and early Feb) or said nothing (as he had since) the narrative was set. It was set last season the second the camera caught Chad and Palmer arguing.

Ridiculous. Chad and Palmer barking at each other has nothing to do with Schefter's speculation about contract issues being the real reason behind Chad's attempts to force a trade. What's more, Schefter's speculation about Chad feeling grossly underpaid makes more sense than Chad's hard to fathom decision to hold the the Bengals accountable for statements Chris Mortenson, Mike Ditka, and Jason Whitlock made.

Finally, it's silly to claim that it doesn't matter if the media is acting unfairly or not. Of course it matters....just as Chad Johnson's actions and statements do more to create his image than any other factor. That said, Adam Schefter has never had an axe to grind in regards to Chad, and if after watching Chad pop off like an idiot for a month or more he now wonders aloud what Chad's next move will be, well.....who could blame him?