"We always said we'd be a 4-3 defensive front..." - Marv

JoePong

At a speedy 6-5, 262 pounds, Odom is looking to put on 10 pounds and Zimmer is looking to use his versatility in various looks even if he is pretty much a pure end. They are going to continue to try and find a big tackle even though the big-names are pretty much off the board.

The Bengals confirmed Tuesday's visit of Browns backup nose tackle Ethan Kelley, a 6-2, 338-pounder and fifth-year pro who played a career-high 13 games with 24 tackles in Cleveland last season.

Head coach Marvin Lewis indicated the Bengals defense is still a base 4-3 and Zimmer says he wants to get the front four set before moving to other issues. But Odom says he's comfortable dropping into pass coverage after playing some fire-zone packages in Tennessee. With Odom probably lining up opposite left end Robert Geathers, another 6-5ish end athletic enough to play linebacker this past season, it looks the Bengals are moving to Zimmer's desire of mixing up the 3-4 and 4-3 looks.

"It gives us more versatility than we had before," Lewis said. "We had to jerry-rig stuff around to make sure Robert was in the right spot at times. Now we don't have to worry about that as much. It gives us a little more flexibility."

Now, Joe, don't you need to get on the phone to Eric Mangini so you can explain to him how Calvin Pace isn't a 3-4 LB? :lmao:

At a speedy 6-5, 262 pounds, Odom is looking to put on 10 pounds and Zimmer is looking to use his versatility in various looks even if he is pretty much a pure end. They are going to continue to try and find a big tackle even though the big-names are pretty much off the board.

The Bengals confirmed Tuesday's visit of Browns backup nose tackle Ethan Kelley, a 6-2, 338-pounder and fifth-year pro who played a career-high 13 games with 24 tackles in Cleveland last season.

Head coach Marvin Lewis indicated the Bengals defense is still a base 4-3 and Zimmer says he wants to get the front four set before moving to other issues. But Odom says he's comfortable dropping into pass coverage after playing some fire-zone packages in Tennessee. With Odom probably lining up opposite left end Robert Geathers, another 6-5ish end athletic enough to play linebacker this past season, it looks the Bengals are moving to Zimmer's desire of mixing up the 3-4 and 4-3 looks.

"It gives us more versatility than we had before," Lewis said. "We had to jerry-rig stuff around to make sure Robert was in the right spot at times. Now we don't have to worry about that as much. It gives us a little more flexibility."

Now, Joe, don't you need to get on the phone to Eric Mangini so you can explain to him how Calvin Pace isn't a 3-4 LB? :lmao:

Why would I do that? I think he'll be ok in a 3-4. But he's pretty mediocre no matter how you play him.

Exactly what I've been saying for months. I guess I was the only one paying attention.

No Joe, you were the only one pontificating by stating something as fact that you could not and cannot know to be fact. I've thought all along that we were likey to stay a 4-3 base, but I'd venture to say that until the roster is settled, even the coaches are not 100% sure which way they will go.

Only the all-knowing Joe Bong knows for sure.

Get the fug outta here with that bullsh*t.

I'm not too proud to offer props.

But only small ones because I didn't bash Joe's opinion, only the way he completely ignored statements from Zimmer about switching. And there's the rub because statements from a defensive coordinator is stark and clear proof that the idea was not a fan or media creation. That said, Joe was always adamant that there would be no change, and there won't be. So there's that.

Again, small Pongian props.

Raise hell, my brutha. :sure:

But only small ones because I didn't bash Joe's opinion, only the way he completely ignored statements from Zimmer about switching. And there's the rub because statements from a defensive coordinator is stark and clear proof that the idea was not a fan or media creation. That said, Joe was always adamant that there would be no change, and there won't be. So there's that.

JoeBong had a better than 50/50 shot, so at that point Joe is as prescient as a loaded quarter. Zimmer said, if I recall, that the personnel would dictate the scheme. It doesn't take rocket scientists to figure out that if you had a 4-3, you're more likely to have the personnel for a 4-3 next year.

Why a 4-3? Because we don't have a NT, and we don't even have 3 decent LBs, let alone 4.

JoeBong had a better than 50/50 shot, so at that point Joe is as prescient as a loaded quarter. Zimmer said, if I recall, that the personnel would dictate the scheme. It doesn't take rocket scientists to figure out that if you had a 4-3, you're more likely to have the personnel for a 4-3 next year.

Why a 4-3? Because we don't have a NT, and we don't even have 3 decent LBs, let alone 4.

well then there aren't too many rocker scientists around here, since so many people were conivinced we were switching. I merely maintained we would not becasue there was absolutely no reason to support the fact that we would. Other people take message baord discussions and reports by beat writers as evidence that we would.

well then there aren't too many rocker scientists around here.

The only "Rocker Scientist" I can think of is Thomas Dolby, dolby.jpg and last I checked he's not into American Football.

Joe, if you ever figure out simple spell check, I might listen to you, but I doubt it.

I wish I hadn't skipped over the last couple of years here. My curiosity is peaked as to why you guys seem to enjoy breaking down JoePong and TJwhateverthehellhisnameis posts into little, bitty pieces and feeding them back with a razor studded spoon. Not picking sides here, because I hate you all equally, just curious why some people don't see that they defend "their" views just as blindly as the aforementioned. First one that tries to act smarter than me, I'm breaking out the soliloquy on yer ass.

JoeWrong, I'm not sure why you didn't simply title this thread "I'm not a moron, really, I'm not, Marvin sez so"

The fact that you took Marvin's statement (which was patently incorrect based on other previous statements) as proof of the veracity your own statements further solidifies your status as the dumbest person here, even eclipsing agreen -- which is really an amazing feat on your part.

I have always thought and will continue to think that we would be a base 4-3 and run some 3-4 options out of that... The thing that brought the 3-4 to such a possibility was the change in defensive coordinators and knowing that Justin probably wasn't going to come back. Neither of those two things made it a definitive thing to happen, but made the conversation more worthy than it has been in the past few years combined. That being said, who really cares ??

WHODEY !!!

well then there aren't too many rocker scientists around here.

The only "Rocker Scientist" I can think of is Thomas Dolby, dolby.jpg and last I checked he's not into American Football.

Joe, if you ever figure out simple spell check, I might listen to you, but I doubt it.

Ha, Thomas Dolby, phucking hilarious.

XZING of the week, Bill. Great Job!

I think the only obvious thing here is...that the Bengals were looking to switch to a 3-4 but when it came time to get the personnel to do so they came out short. If they had gotten Rogers to play nose tackle and rotate Peko in on passing downs, they would have most definitely switched to a 3-4. When you have so few effective defensive linemen, yet you have a plethora of linebackers, you use what your roster dictates. I think it is pretty simple to understand. Joe can take this as a victory if he wants...but it is on the same level of victory as your opponent in billiards running out all the balls in a game of 8-ball, then scratching on the 8-ball. It's a hollow victory at best.

I wish I hadn't skipped over the last couple of years here. My curiosity is peaked as to why you guys seem to enjoy breaking down JoePong and TJwhateverthehellhisnameis posts into little, bitty pieces and feeding them back with a razor studded spoon. Not picking sides here, because I hate you all equally, just curious why some people don't see that they defend "their" views just as blindly as the aforementioned. First one that tries to act smarter than me, I'm breaking out the soliloquy on yer ass.

Soliloquy? What, like Juliet's? That won't prove you're smart, just that you're a little light in the loafers!

Does this mean I'm acting smarter than you? Are you going to break out the soliloquy?

;)

Not picking sides here, because I hate you all equally...

So much for fellow fan comraderie, huh?

*scratches KilBurn off x-mas card list*

Oh, I guess it's safe to say you won't want to meet up at a yet-to-be-determined game at PBS with the rest of these lovable losers either.

Not picking sides here, because I hate you all equally...

So much for fellow fan comraderie, huh?

*scratches KilBurn off x-mas card list*

Oh, I guess it's safe to say you won't want to meet up at a yet-to-be-determined game at PBS with the rest of these lovable losers either.

Wow, you guys are sensitive. I say this to my students on a daily basis. Seriously. :P

If they had gotten Rogers to play nose tackle and rotate Peko in on passing downs, they would have most definitely switched to a 3-4.

Doesn't matter who turns out to be right, Joe Bong stated his speculation as fact, and now Spor tees has done the same, on the other side of this argument.

"would have most definitely switched to a 3-4"?

You, like Joe Bong, cannot possibly know that to be true.

If they had gotten Rogers to play nose tackle and rotate Peko in on passing downs, they would have most definitely switched to a 3-4.

Doesn't matter who turns out to be right, Joe Bong stated his speculation as fact, and now Spor tees has done the same, on the other side of this argument.

"would have most definitely switched to a 3-4"?

You, like Joe Bong, cannot possibly know that to be true.

The Bengals are just waiting for the draft now to see if Ellis falls to them, if not I think they will go ahead and get Robertson and drop Thornton that would be a great scenario right there. What's baffling me is that they have not cut Deltha O'neal by now, but I guess the Bengals are going to make him play out that contract. We are still in need of linebackers though I'm not trusting Brooks to stay healthy this year if I'm on the Bengals staff.