Here's a cincinnati topic

Best Chilli in town?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Best Chilli in town?

• Skyline
    • GoldStar
    • Other( please list)

What about Little Mexico and Empress ???????? Are they still even around ??

Can't get decent chili outside of Cincy, so I've had to go on line and to a couple of obscure cookbooks to find recipes for my own. They turn out good enough to satisfy the cravings, but if anyone has a recipe that they think is killer and want to share it .......... I'm open to new ones.

Far from a chef, but I do like to cook my own stuff a lot of times. I also know I'm going to like how it turns out. Sometimes the only thing that appeals to me is when I open a book, find a recipe and make it myself.

I tell everyone that I learned how to cook on the advice of others ..... They kept telling me " if you don't like mine, then do it yourself". B)

Been involved in a few chili cook offs. There are so many variations for such a simple dish. Gotta say though chili with cinnamon is prolly one of my least favorites

"Cincinnati Chili" is not CHILI as any Cincinnatian knows and does not compare. "Chili" - Cincinnati Style - is short for Chili Spaghetti of which we are so fond and can eat at EVERY OPPORTUNITY! Cincinnati Chili is the WORST THING about my marriage! (Or marriage is the worst thing affecting my Chili!) Because my wife (from Michigan) hates the stuff and so I get to eat it only when she isn't around - WHICH IS NOT NEARLY ENOUGH! Don't get me wrong. I love my wife dearly but how many times must we drive past Dixie Chili deciding on a place to eat only to pick TACO BELL or FRISCH'S for GOD'S SAKES! And is this really a poll? It's DIXIE CHILI and there is NO OTHER! You only eat Gold Star or Skyline or Empress or Mt. Washington if you absolutely can't get to Erlanger, Newport or Beech Grove. I can eat 5 Dixie Chili Coneys in minutes and wonder why I didn't order 6. But if I have to eat Skyline or Gold Star it may be only two or three before it leaves me wanting Dixie Chili.

Does anyone remember "The Chili Company"? God Awful excuse for Cincinnati Chili. No wonder they went out of business. Cheese like plastic and runny bland chili!

Bottom line....Dixie Chili ....Accept no substitutes and eat at every opportunity when your wife isn't around!

Does anyone remember "The Chili Company"? God Awful excuse for Cincinnati Chili. No wonder they went out of business. Cheese like plastic and runny bland chili!

Bottom line....Dixie Chili ....Accept no substitutes and eat at every opportunity when your wife isn't around!

I do remember the Chilli Company, isnt there still one open in Cincy? Anyway, they were the lowest, but some waffle cheese fries at 2am on Saturday after a 6 pack sure hit the spot. Couldnt agree more on Dixie though.... :D

ive lived here all my life, and ive never had dixie chilli.... i need to try it before i leave for purdue

You need to head south on I-75 and hit the Erlanger exit. Take Commenwealth Avenue to Dixie Highway (of course) and make a right. Go two lights past the Frisches, and it'll be on your right.

Help me out here Wisk in case I'm off on my coordinates! It's been 3 plus years since I've been there!

ive lived here all my life, and ive never had dixie chilli.... i need to try it before i leave for purdue

You need to head south on I-75 and hit the Erlanger exit. Take Commenwealth Avenue to Dixie Highway (of course) and make a right. Go two lights past the Frisches, and it'll be on your right.

Help me out here Wisk in case I'm off on my coordinates! It's been 3 plus years since I've been there!

Sounds pretty accurate to me, i was there last night.

Been involved in a few chili cook offs. There are so many variations for such a simple dish. Gotta say though chili with cinnamon is prolly one of my least favorites

"Cincinnati Chili" is not CHILI as any Cincinnatian knows and does not compare. "Chili" - Cincinnati Style - is short for Chili Spaghetti of which we are so fond and can eat at EVERY OPPORTUNITY! Cincinnati Chili is the WORST THING about my marriage! (Or marriage is the worst thing affecting my Chili!) Because my wife (from Michigan) hates the stuff and so I get to eat it only when she isn't around - WHICH IS NOT NEARLY ENOUGH! Don't get me wrong. I love my wife dearly but how many times must we drive past Dixie Chili deciding on a place to eat only to pick TACO BELL or FRISCH'S for GOD'S SAKES! And is this really a poll? It's DIXIE CHILI and there is NO OTHER! You only eat Gold Star or Skyline or Empress or Mt. Washington if you absolutely can't get to Erlanger, Newport or Beech Grove. I can eat 5 Dixie Chili Coneys in minutes and wonder why I didn't order 6. But if I have to eat Skyline or Gold Star it may be only two or three before it leaves me wanting Dixie Chili.

I've never dissed dixie; she's aways my second choice. :unsure: Whenever skyline isn't open it is dixie that I have. You might convert me. :lol:

Dixie makes a much better cheese dip thingy, if you know what I mean. B)

yeah the chili company sucked. But my brother liked that trash. :D

my wife hates it too, but i dont let that stop me. she gets her wendys or arbys and takes it in the restaurant while i eat til my hearts content ;)

A little off on the directions oh great moderating Chili lover! If you turn onto Dixie Hwy. from Commonwealth/Donaldsdon Road and pass the Frisch's, you've gone too far. Turn right onto Dixie and just past the 2nd light after Bartlett Avenue on the right - across the street from Michel Tire. Well worth the trip!

A little off on the directions oh great moderating Chili lover!

So sue me. I'm trying to remember all the way from out here in Arizona with Chili dreams clogging my thought process! I'm still sitting on six cans I have left from the case you sent me at Christmas, just in case of dire emergency! I thank you alot bro! B)

A little off on the directions oh great moderating Chili lover! If you turn onto Dixie Hwy. from Commonwealth/Donaldsdon Road and pass the Frisch's, you've gone too far. Turn right onto Dixie and just past the 2nd light after Bartlett Avenue on the right - across the street from Michel Tire. Well worth the trip!

Can I get a tractor trailer in there ??????????????

Ooh. That may be tough. Probably have to park it a block away and walk over.

Ooh. That may be tough. Probably have to park it a block away and walk over.

I thought sure's hell that you were going to say " No just chili " or something like that :D

• 2 weeks later...

It gets pretty chilly up here in the mountains in winter, does that count?

I've tried Skyline and thought it was OK.

Mrs Scottish, the bigger of the Little Scottishes & I have a passion for the Cincinnati Chili as per the recipe on a postcard - that's awesome, - no beans, plenty of heat, lots of cheese.

The only thing the recipe missed out was "place toilet roll in the freezer for 6 hours".