The Official 2008 Bengals Draft Question...

ArmyBengal

• 2 weeks later...

Not a chance that we grab Harvey if Ellis is still sitting there I mean the #1a DT or the #3 DE? which would you choose besides at 245 lbs. are you comfortable with Harvey playing 4-3 DE? Are you comfortable taking YET ANOTHER college end and turning him into an OLB? I seriously doubt Marvin is any more comfortable with that prospect than you are.

Rivers or Phillips would be a better choice as would Clady. I just don't see Harvey as a good fit. I would place Calais Campbell ahead of Harvey because he at least has the size to play 4-3 or 3-4 end. Really what are the odds that Gholston, Chris Long, Glenn Dorsey, Sedric Ellis are all gone by #9? But they are correct, the Jets could go Gholston, Ellis, Clady, or Phillips and they are the key to our draft. If they go anywhere but Ellis, Ellis drops to us. Then New England could go CB or LB not sure why they would project D-Line since they are stacked with good young D-Linemen with Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Green, all vying for 3 slots

Here is my 1st round draftboard and it may be subject to change:

1) Chris Long, DE, Virginia

2) Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

3) Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC

4) Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State

5) Keith Rivers, OLB, USC

6) Jake Long, OT, Michigan

7) Ryan Clady, RT, Boise State

8) Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami

9) Calais Campbell, DE, Miami

All I can say is, by watching the Superbowl and seeing the difference a PASS RUSH made in that game, it is just crazy to think the Bengals don't try to improve that aspect with multiple picks in that area come draft weekend. Then again, maybe the front office slept through seeing Brady picking his asspiece up off the turf all game long !!!

WHODEY !!!

NFLdraftcountdown.com now has us taking DE Derrick Harvey from Florida (I think they had us pegged for Gholston last week but now he is going to the Pats at 7--who were going CB in his earlier mock draft.)

Just throwing that out there because no one has mentioned him yet.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

We do NOT want Harvey - I'd rather draft Groves. To quote Cherepinski:

I have no idea why everyone's so down on Quentin Groves, yet so high on Derrick Harvey. They're the same size. Groves is quicker. He gets more sacks.

hell, harvey was totally ineffective against Michigan last month.

Based on that draft (worst case scenario=Ellis, both Longs, Dorsey, and Gholston all gone) I would take Ryan Clady in a heartbeat. I'd be reluctant to consider offers to trade down. My reasoning:

1) Clady, a junior, is already one of the best ATHLETES in the draft.

2) He'll get better with good coaching - something the Bengals cannot offer to DLs

3) Premiere OT's are only avialable at the top of round 1 or in free agency.

I do NOT want Rivers (over-rated), Harvey (too light), Connors (too slow), Merling (too slow), Balmer (one year wonder), or any DB (no need) with our top pick

If Clady and McFadden are also gone, I'd trade down - far enough to get an extra 2nd (Groves, Okam, BDPA) or high 3rd (Rubin, top TE, top WR)