Look at us, look at we've become

The PatternMaster

This season has been a learning experience for everyone that follows the Bengals organization. The team is learning that they actually have to out-play the other teams on Sunday to win games, the coaches are learning what players respond well to coaching and which ones don't, and fans are learning the more things change the more they stay the same.

What I find most troubling though is how quickly people are turning on the franchise, players, and coaches they call themselves "supporters" and "fans" of. Just 2 seasons ago the Bengals were the surprise team of the NFL going 11-5, winning the division and going to the playoffs for the first time in almost 20 years. The fire marshall was turning people away from the bandwagon due to it being so full. Fast forward to the future, sprinkle in a few injuries and suspensions, and we are 2-6 in 07' and 7-14 out of the last 21 games and now the bandwagon is looking kinda bare.

The same people who cheered on Chad Johnson, now want his head on a platter, same for Marvin Lewis. It seems as if the good Roman people of Cincinnatus want Black Jesus to be crucified in order to satisfy the blood lust, only the blood of Marvin will make up for the 90's right?

Bengals nation was once a proud nation, full of fans who stood behind their team and supported them. Now look at us, look at what we've become, it's shameful.

They say winning is the best perfume, so does that mean for losing?

It's amazing how stupid and cheap Mike Brown has become, how completely inept and utterly stupid Marvin has become, and big of a distraction/embaressment Chad has become after just 2 months.

Well, to be fair, I (among others) have been saying Mike is stupid, Shula (among others) has been saying Mike is cheap, and Hair (among others) has been saying Chad is a distraction/embarassment for a lot longer than 2 months. The Marvin thing is fairly new, but we all knew it was coming if the Bengals tanked this year.

Bengals nation was once a proud nation, full of fans who stood behind their team and supported them. Now look at us, look at what we've become, it's shameful.

Proud nation? Please.

I'd say the Mike Brown rants never really stopped, and people were practically tripping over themselves to be the first to jump off the bandwagon before last season began. The trend has only continued this season as everyone attempts to portray himself as the most pissed off, the premier second guesser, the least concerned with injury excuses, or the first to demand Marvin Lewis be fired.

All things considered shameful is what passes for normal around here.

I'd say the Mike Brown rants never really stopped, and people were practically tripping over themselves to be the first to jump off the bandwagon before last season began. The trend has only continued this season as everyone attempts to portray himself as the most pissed off, the premier second guesser, the least concerned with injury excuses, the loudest whiner about Chad Johnson or the first to demand Marvin Lewis be fired.

Fixed. :cheers:

Hey Hoosier, how many posts did you write criticizing Mike Brown for not bettering the Colt's contract offer to Corey Simon?

Probably about as many as you wrote rhapsodizing about the possible addition of Lavar Arrington... :lol::P

I least I never demanded the Bengals make Arrington the highest paid defender in the NFL. In fact, my argument for signing Arrington was based upon how little he'd cost. :P

I least I never demanded the Bengals make Arrington the highest paid defender in the NFL. In fact, my argument for signing Arrington was based upon how little he'd cost. :P

Well, there ya go. If I were in charge, I'd spend a lot and screw up...and if you were in charge, you'd only spend a little and screw up. But in the end, we're still a couple of screwups, ehhh? :drunk:

All I know is not getting Arrington cost me a couple of Bengals jersey's to some folks here....so, F it.

Pattern, does it make us less American if we criticize Bush? What if we voted for him? Does tht give one the right to get pissed.

If a loyal Bengal fan is pissed about the current state of the team, then they should vent, not gloss it over in ay way. If you are a season tiket holder (voting with your money) then you have every right to be upset about the "product" you have gotten so far....kinda like getting a bad meal at your favorite pizza joint...pehaps even food poisoning...should you complain?

Mike Brown has been feeding us poisoned football.

All I know is not getting Arrington cost me a couple of Bengals jersey's to some folks here....so, F it.

Pattern, does it make us less American if we criticize Bush? What if we voted for him? Does tht give one the right to get pissed.

If a loyal Bengal fan is pissed about the current state of the team, then they should vent, not gloss it over in ay way. If you are a season tiket holder (voting with your money) then you have every right to be upset about the "product" you have gotten so far....kinda like getting a bad meal at your favorite pizza joint...pehaps even food poisoning...should you complain?

Mike Brown has been feeding us poisoned football.

Uh, guys, Mike Brown has proven he can make money owning the Cincinnati Bengals, that makes him decidedly not stupid.

Uh, guys, Mike Brown has proven he can make money owning the Cincinnati Bengals, that makes him decidedly not stupid.

Stupid money wise? Of course not. Stupid NFL team owner wise? I think his record speaks for itself IMHO.

I'd rather he was behind on his mortgage on the home he was housing some Lombardi Trophys in. That's just me though. ;)

What I find most troubling though is how quickly people are turning on the franchise, players, and coaches they call themselves "supporters" and "fans" of.

For the past ten years, I've lived in areas that were either predominately Browns supportors or Steeler supportors. I'm sure this stems from my arguments with said people, but I have a problem with anyone - fellow Bengal fan or not - that questions the fanhood and support of any Cincinnati Bengal fan. From 1991 - 2002 the Bengals were not just the worst team in the NFL, they were the worst team in professional sports! Any fan who stuck through that period and still supported the team has earned the right for the rest of time not to have their fanhood/support questioned.

IMO if you're okay with the last two seasons, then you should ask yourself if you really support this team. Raise your hand if you can watch a Bengal game this year and tell everyone in the room what's about to happen before it happens. This team isn't a bad call or freaky play away from being good - they freakin' suck! There is nothing in this team's past recent or historically that points to this team righting the ship - and by righting the ship I don't mean going 9-7, I mean winning a da&n Super Bowl!

Look at all the NFL teams with supposedly great fan bases - Steelers, Browns, Raiders, Redskins, Packers, Cowboys, etc. What do they all have in common? They all have one or more eras of dominance and championships. I doubt that all those teams would have such "great fan support" if their history was similar to the Bengals' history.

For as horrible as the Bengals have been, I think they have a pretty good fan base. However, how much can one fan take? Do you have to be content with going through another horrendous decade to be a "real fan"? You can only pour so much water into the container before it overflows.

What I find most troubling though is how quickly people are turning on the franchise, players, and coaches they call themselves "supporters" and "fans" of. Just 2 seasons ago the Bengals were the surprise team of the NFL going 11-5, winning the division and going to the playoffs for the first time in almost 20 years. The fire marshall was turning people away from the bandwagon due to it being so full. Fast forward to the future, sprinkle in a few injuries and suspensions, and we are 2-6 in 07' and 7-14 out of the last 21 games and now the bandwagon is looking kinda bare.

How quickly? How QUICKLY? Are you kidding me? Some of us have been fans for 30+ years. I was hopeful that Marvin would be the solution, while privately doubting that he was. It's clear that he's not. I'm officially giving up. I live in NE Ohio now, and I'm going to start following the Browns because the franchise has some promise and I admire the heart of the fans. I follow the Bengals now only in the way that I would follow a bad soap opera -- it's interesting to see how pathetic and unseemly it will get.

But "quickly?" F**k that. I've had season tix, my brother and friends have had season tix, I've bought jerseys, etc. My guess is that anyone giving up at this point has been a fan for a long time and has finally had it. At some point, you get sick of banging your head against the (Mike Brown) wall. Being a Bengals fan at this point is an exercise in futility, and an exercise in enabling the weaknesses of Mike Brown.

Well, there ya go. If I were in charge, I'd spend a lot and screw up...and if you were in charge, you'd only spend a little and screw up. But in the end, we're still a couple of screwups, ehhh? :drunk:

Hoosier, with your philosophy, one day you would hit a home run. Hair, the best you can hope for is an infield single. I have been calling Mike Brown your boy... he!! you may be Mike Brown.

Stay the course fellas, we got this!

What I find most troubling though is how quickly people are turning on the franchise, players, and coaches they call themselves "supporters" and "fans" of.

For the past ten years, I've lived in areas that were either predominately Browns supportors or Steeler supportors. I'm sure this stems from my arguments with said people, but I have a problem with anyone - fellow Bengal fan or not - that questions the fanhood and support of any Cincinnati Bengal fan. From 1991 - 2002 the Bengals were not just the worst team in the NFL, they were the worst team in professional sports! Any fan who stuck through that period and still supported the team has earned the right for the rest of time not to have their fanhood/support questioned.

IMO if you're okay with the last two seasons, then you should ask yourself if you really support this team. Raise your hand if you can watch a Bengal game this year and tell everyone in the room what's about to happen before it happens. This team isn't a bad call or freaky play away from being good - they freakin' suck! There is nothing in this team's past recent or historically that points to this team righting the ship - and by righting the ship I don't mean going 9-7, I mean winning a da&n Super Bowl!

Look at all the NFL teams with supposedly great fan bases - Steelers, Browns, Raiders, Redskins, Packers, Cowboys, etc. What do they all have in common? They all have one or more eras of dominance and championships. I doubt that all those teams would have such "great fan support" if their history was similar to the Bengals' history.

For as horrible as the Bengals have been, I think they have a pretty good fan base. However, how much can one fan take? Do you have to be content with going through another horrendous decade to be a "real fan"? You can only pour so much water into the container before it overflows.

Agree with everything you said here.

It's EASY to be a New England fan...it's EASY to be a Steelers fan...it's EASY to be a Dallas fan...it is very freaking hard to be a Bengals fan and no one that's stuck with them for as long as most of us have should have their dedication questioned...

I can't tell you what team to support, but imo it doesn't make sense to support a team/franchise if you truly believe that 1) The owner is totally useless and helpless, 2.) The HC is a joke and needs to be fired, 3.) One of the teams best players is a complete moron who would fake an injury to save face. If so many "fans" believe these things to be true, why are you fan. I know this your home town team and all that, I get it, but just because your from Cincy doesn't mean you HAVE to be a Bengals fan.

If you've been a fan for 20-30 years then you should know that this type of thing happens with the Bengals, they have NEVER had periods of winning seasons after winning seasons. Why should things be different know, because Marvin Lewis is in town? But I thought Marvin was the problem? According to alot of what I read around here this team needs a total facelift, which means growing pains, which means more losing. Imo, I don't see a coach available that will come to Cincy that can help the Bengals acheive the goal that everyone wants, a SuperBowl victory.

Marvin has proven he can be a winner here in Cincy, not too many coaches can say that, as a matter of fact he's the only coach who can say that since Paul Brown died. Marvin deserves atleast 1 more year, the Bengals franchise is ran differently from all of the other 31 teams which means the normal rules don't apply. If this season is your tipping and you had all you can stand and you can't stand anymore then I wish you the best in finding a new team to support.

Agree with everything you said here.

It's EASY to be a New England fan...it's EASY to be a Steelers fan...it's EASY to be a Dallas fan...it is very freaking hard to be a Bengals fan and no one that's stuck with them for as long as most of us have should have their dedication questioned...

So let me get this straight..just because you followed the team for some time whenever they struggle, it's ok for you as a fan call the owner stupid, the coach inept, and one of the best players on the team a fool. What I don't understand is if you feel that way, why do you support the team?

I'm sure these feeling about Mike Brown didn't just pop up overnight, if you feel that owner is such idiot, why do you support his product?

Is the Brown family using Jedi-like mind tricks over the good people of Cincinnati?

If you feel that Brown is a bad owner but yet you support his product, what does that make you?

So let me get this straight..just because you followed the team for some time whenever they struggle, it's ok for you as a fan call the owner stupid, the coach inept, and one of the best players on the team a fool. What I don't understand is if you feel that way, why do you support the team?

I'm sure these feeling about Mike Brown didn't just pop up overnight, if you feel that owner is such idiot, why do you support his product?

Is the Brown family using Jedi-like mind tricks over the good people of Cincinnati?

If you feel that Brown is a bad owner but yet you support his product, what does that make you?

Well if you look at this in terms of producer/owner and product then you are right. If I hate Procter & Gamble and I use Tide laundry detergent and it destroys my clothes but I keep on using Tide and destroying my clothes and keep on complaining about P&G then...yes...I'm a total freaking idiot and I probably have some mental problems.

Even though the Bengals are a business, I would submit that most fans are very emotionally attached to the team. Fans don't look at them as a product they look at them as a representative of where they grew up, where they live now etc. I would bet most Bengal supporters are people that grew up close to (or in) Cincinnati and watched the Bengals throughout their childhood. I would also bet that most folks here on this board have a childhood that included 2 Bengals superbowl appearances. Talk about hooking everyone with a big dose of hope!! So...in that sense...it really damn hard to just quit and start supporting and getting attached to another team.

Come on , Patternmaster!! You can't tell me you don't know all this already!

Is all the bitching and moaning and bad-mouthing old and annoying? Yes! But you shouldn't be surprised!

Mike Brown isn't using Jedi mind tricks - I think he just lucked into a business where it's really difficult to screw up bad enough to lose your customers.

I grew up in Columbus. Watched the Bengals from the late 80's to present...

I think Brown is a cheap idiot, Marvin Lewis isn't the right man for the job anymore and think Chad is verging on "talented yet annoying crybaby".

I dont care if anyone thinks im a good fan or not. Im reaaaaally tired of the losing and bad attitudes.

Hoosier, with your philosophy, one day you would hit a home run. Hair, the best you can hope for is an infield single.

And the best you can hope for is constant disappointment because your fantasies about signing the most expensive free agent or whichever player is most likely to be the 1st overall draft pick isn't realistic, and all you're going to do is whine and cry more tears when your childish dreams are shattered.

Well if you look at this in terms of producer/owner and product then you are right. If I hate Procter & Gamble and I use Tide laundry detergent and it destroys my clothes but I keep on using Tide and destroying my clothes and keep on complaining about P&G then...yes...I'm a total freaking idiot and I probably have some mental problems.

Even though the Bengals are a business, I would submit that most fans are very emotionally attached to the team. Fans don't look at them as a product they look at them as a representative of where they grew up, where they live now etc. I would bet most Bengal supporters are people that grew up close to (or in) Cincinnati and watched the Bengals throughout their childhood. I would also bet that most folks here on this board have a childhood that included 2 Bengals superbowl appearances. Talk about hooking everyone with a big dose of hope!! So...in that sense...it really damn hard to just quit and start supporting and getting attached to another team.

Come on , Patternmaster!! You can't tell me you don't know all this already!

Is all the bitching and moaning and bad-mouthing old and annoying? Yes! But you shouldn't be surprised!

Mike Brown isn't using Jedi mind tricks - I think he just lucked into a business where it's really difficult to screw up bad enough to lose your customers.

So the evil MB has all of the fans by their curlys, he's like Big Tabacco, he markets his product to children so he can have customers for life even though the product is slowing killing the consumer of the product. The consumer knows the product is no good but they're too addicted to the product to change.

So the evil MB has all of the fans by their curlys, he's like Big Tabacco, he markets his product to children so he can have customers for life even though the product is slowing killing the consumer of the product. The consumer knows the product is no good but they're too addicted to the product to change.

Ha! Good analogy! I never thought of my Bengals fanhood as an unhealthy addiction...maybe this board is just a big support group!

I don't think he's evil - I think he's fortunate, stubborn, and a little detached.

Difference between smokers and Bengals fans? Smokers don't whine as much!