Appalachian State Beats Michigan

HoosierCat

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michigan dropped out of the top 25, pretty much killing any hope of any national title run.

PRAISE GOD

The ultimate insult would have been if Appalachian State had gotten some votes in the polls. Fortunately for Michigan, it didn't happen.

It couldn't. There were several columnists I read who wanted to -- but the AP poll is limited by rule to only Division 1-A teams. Otherwise yeah you would have at least seen them in the pileup of "other teams that got votes" at the bottom of the chart.

They did make one list, tho...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3003847

Michigan dropped out of the top 25, pretty much killing any hope of any national title run.

PRAISE GOD

This also damages the strength of schedule score for every Big Ten team the Wolverines will face.

Ah, who cares. Michigan lost to freakin' Appalachian State. MUAHAHAHAHA

If not mistaken, correct me if I am wrong, but I heard that the BCS no longer takes SOS into account. I might just be blowing smoke, but I think that's what I heard.

I honestly (In a way mind you) think it sucks for Michigan because I truly felt that they were going to be right in the hunt for the National Title along with USC this year. On the otherhand, this is one of the funniest things I ever seen in college football and take GREAT pleasure in it !!!

WHODEY !!!

This also damages the strength of schedule score for every Big Ten team the Wolverines will face.

Strength of Schedule was elimnated from the BCS equation last year. So it has no impact the outcome of the moronic BCS poll. If the media has their way, they would give the trophy to USC now instead of waiting until playing the Sugar Bowl in 2008.

PRAISE GOD

The ultimate insult would have been if Appalachian State had gotten some votes in the polls. Fortunately for Michigan, it didn't happen.

It couldn't. There were several columnists I read who wanted to -- but the AP poll is limited by rule to only Division 1-A teams. Otherwise yeah you would have at least seen them in the pileup of "other teams that got votes" at the bottom of the chart.

AP changes poll rules, non-D-1A teams now eligible. The App State earthquake continues.

That dixon kid from oregon looks really good against the michigan secondary. He is throwing all over the place, hitting guys in stride, wow.

You and I could probably play pitch-and-catch versus Michigan right now...they're done, they just want off the field.

I don't see how Carr holds on to his job much longer...

That dixon kid from oregon looks really good against the michigan secondary. He is throwing all over the place, hitting guys in stride, wow.

You and I could probably play pitch-and-catch versus Michigan right now...they're done, they just want off the field.

I don't see how Carr holds on to his job much longer...

He's as good as gone. 03.jpg How he ranked his Wolverines as #2 in his pre-season poll is beyond me. :rolleyes:

I think that the Wolverines' motto for this year ought to be "a new low every week."

Ducks roll as Wolverines suffer worst loss since '68

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) -- Michigan got embarrassed again, just in a different way.

A week after being upset by Appalachian State, the Wolverines were handed their most-lopsided loss in 39 years as Dennis Dixon and the Ducks cruised 39-7 on Saturday. Dixon accounted for 368 yards and a career-high four touchdowns.

Michigan (0-2) has opened a season with two straight losses at home for the first time since 1959 and has dropped four straight, dating to last season, for the first time in four decades.

Unlike the stunning loss to the second-tier Mountaineers, the Wolverines didn't even keep it close against Oregon. The 32-point setback was Michigan's worst since losing 50-14 at Ohio State in 1968, the season before Bo Schembechler's debut in Ann Arbor.

Michigan hasn't won a game since Schembechler died the day before the Ohio State game last year.

The Ducks (2-0) beat Houston handily in its opener, then were even more dominant against a once-proud program that boasts the most wins and best winning percentage in college football.

Dixon led the way with his arm and feet, throwing for 292 yards and tying a career high with three passing TDs -- to three receivers -- and running for 76 yards and a score. Jonathan Stewart ran for 111 yards and a TD.

Michigan's Chad Henne sailed an ill-advised pass into double coverage that was intercepted with the ease of a punt return and a lower-leg injury knocked him out of the game for the second half.

The Wolverines led 7-3 late in the first quarter on Henne's touchdown pass and stopped the Ducks on a fourth-and-goal at the 1 early in the fourth.

Between those two plays, Oregon seemed to do whatever it wanted against Michigan.

The Ducks led 32-7 at halftime and coasted to the victory against little resistance.

Michigan Stadium's aisles filled with fans that had seen enough after Oregon made it 39-7 in the third quarter and the Big House was so quiet that a small pocket of Oregon supporters could be heard chanting: "Let's Go Ducks! Let's Go Ducks!"

Dixon and the Ducks' spread offense, which is similar to what Appalachian State runs, had its way. Oregon racked up 624 yards, the second-highest total by a Michigan opponent in its 128 years of football.

But what was startling was Michigan's inability to score with an offense widely regarded as one of the nation's best a little more than a week ago.

Henne was just 12-of-23 for 172 yards with a touchdown, which tied John Navarre's school record of 72.

Mike Hart, who was hobbled for the second straight week, had 127 yards rushing for the Wolverines, who host Notre Dame next week.