3rd round: Ahmad Brooks

Ok, so we took him almost a year ago, and he was on the roster all year.

*shrug*

from my point of view, he was and is our third round pick this year, taken at pick 80, because that's what we paid for him. You may or may not accept that point of view, but let's say for sake of argument, just for a moment, you do.....

.....so.....

.....are there any players not taken at pick #80 this year you would prefer over Ahmad Brooks?

I'll start you off with my vote: I'd rather have Brooks than any other player available as of pick 80 this year. I'll add as a related aside that i was sure when he was picked that he'd be in jail by now, but no, he's been a solid citizen as far as I know, no arrests, no legal troubles. Sometimes, it's good to be wrong.

If there's a player (or players) you'd rather have, name them, and provide your reasons.

Yep... I would have been giddy to get Brooks at our slot in the 2nd. No brainer that it was worth the 3rd.

Not to mention that we get a good deal for him monetarily as we paid him due to last year's scale... althought that isn't really of primary concern, as a 3rd rounder doesn't get paid all that well anyway (comparitively speaking).

actually, Army, if you don't mind - I consider this a "draft" topic, in that he is in effect our 3rd round pick. Said another way, when I evaluate this draft, I will (and do) take into consideration the pick of Brooks. I've seen others do the same.

Respectfully submitted, and with understanding your expressed line of thought on the matter, can you nonetheless move it back to the draft forum?

I remember being PO'd about the off field stuff because I figured it would eliminate us from taking Brooks who I absolutely loved. I even didn't both to see when the comp. draft was.

Then I get home and hop on one of the message boards and saw we took him. I'm THRILLED with this pick. If he was a 3rd rounder this year he'd easily be the best pick.

He'll start AND make an impact next year.

I was so excited when he started vs. Tampa.

Then the beginning of the Carolina game was sweet but after that you could tell he was extremely rusty and out of place.

1 year to learn the system, he's going to be an absolute beast.

I agree!! :cheers::sure:

His pro day was good, not great:

Source: Profootballtalk.com Brooks got down to 260 pounds for the workout, ran a 4.68 forty, and benched 225 pounds 19 times. Ah, sweet measurables

Those are almost DE/LB 'tweener' numbers - he'd probably be rated about the same as David Harris, who was 16 pounds lighter and .16 faster. Actually, his height, weight, speed, and strength numbers are almost identical to Gaines Adams, which is really weird!?! ;)

Source: Profootballtalk.com Brooks got down to 260 pounds for the workout, ran a 4.68 forty, and benched 225 pounds 19 times. Ah, sweet measurables

Those are almost DE/LB 'tweener' numbers - he'd probably be rated about the same as David Harris, who was 16 pounds lighter and .16 faster. Actually, his height, weight, speed, and strength numbers are almost identical to Gaines Adams, which is really weird!?! ;)

Except Ahmad can stop the run. :sure:

you also have to think that was only working out for a vigurous 10 weeks straight. His Forty time and bench presses have surelly increased by now. I'm guessing his forty is around a 4.6 to 4.63 and lifting at least 25 reps.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have his almost sack where he did same thing in the nfl?

I hate when Brooks tries that s**t, that's probably what got his ass benched. He should quit trying to be the guy from "The Program" and just play some damn football. The likelyhood of him getting a sack or even disrupting the play is slim to none, however the likelyhood of him taking himself out of position and causing a huge gap in the defense is pretty damn high. This ain't the ACC.

Please Ahmed, just play fundmentally sound football and do your job. Save the SuperMan stunts, for well, SuperMan. ok!! :sure:

Ahmad won't blitz in that manner unless the playcall dictates it.

I serioulsy doubt Bres calls a play that ask for the middle linebacker to dive like a madman over the center in hopes that he's able to tackle the qb in the split second it takes hand the ball off, I would say staying on your feet is a more effective way to get to qb when blitzing.

It's an extremely athletic play, but it's reward doesn't outweigh the risk.