FA Bargain Shopping/MLB Hartwell

Name me one mlb that will be productive behind a pourous d-line, next! As for his speed and coverage duties I'm not sure about those either, but bringing him in wouldn't hurt.

Thurman was productive behind a crappy line as a rookie. I just don't think Hartwell has the measureables that most of the effective 4-3 MLBs in this league have.

Answer me this, are you comfortable going into the season with our current lb's, given their lack of experience and all. I'm a homer, but I think we're going to need someone besides Landon and Caleb with some experience and Hartwell is the best option to fill that void.

Honestly I don't think whether or not I'm comfortable is relevant. There are certainly better players out there than Landon or Caleb, but replacing them with a free agent is inherently risky both from a financial perspective and a production perspective. I don't think Hartwell would ever sign the deal Doss signed for, and as Kazkal said -- the Bengals are going with the youth movement balls to the wall. I'm content with them sticking with that strategy and waiting for long-term gains rather than demanding massive improvement in 2007.

What vetern lb would you like the Bengals to go after?

I don't think they need to go after any veteran linebackers. I was a Na'il Diggs advocate earlier in the offseason, but he'd be even more expensive than Hartwell. After re-signing Reggie Kelly, the Bengals don't really even have the cap space (after yearly funds are considered like the rookie pool or in-season stuff) to sign anyone of that caliber.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlike TDB, I want to win next year and am ok with them doing everything and anything they can to win now versus later.

No such thing as a long term plan in the NFL any more - outside of your QB and skill players.

Take what you can get on defense and go for the gusto.

But I realize this is Cincinnati and we are used to losing and waiting around for the tomorrow that never comes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hobson updates:

The Bengals are setting up a visit with a Marvin Lewis draft pick in Falcons middle linebacker Ed Hartwell. Hartwell, a fourth-round pick of the Ravens in 2001, has been hampered by injuries during his two-year stay in Atlanta, including a torn Achilles tendon in 2005 and maintenance knee surgery in 2006.

“He’s 100 percent healthy. It’s not like he ended the season on injured reserve,” said agent Harold Lewis Wednesday. “We’re looking for a one-year deal to show people that he’s back and he deserved all that money they gave him two years ago.”

Hartwell played only 13 games for the Falcons after signing a six-year, $26.5 million deal before the 2005 season. As he struggled with injuries, Atlanta responded by putting Keith Brooking back in the middle and the club ended up cutting Hartwell last month.

Hartwell, who turns 29 next month, had a big year for the Ravens in 2002 when Ray Lewis played just five games. He logged 105 tackles and 39 assists the season after Baltimore took him in the fourth round out of Western Illinois during Lewis' last year in Baltimore.

"Marvin is one of his favorites," Harold Lewis said. "We were hoping that the Bengals would show interest after the 2004, but other teams showed more."

With second-year player Ahmad Brooks pencilled in to start in the middle, the Bengals could be looking to Hartwell to back him up with some experience. Landon Johnson on the right outside is their most experienced backer with just 48 games.

the article i seen read that his attorney said he was just looking for a 1 year deal just to prove he's healthy, so maybe he will sign cheap...plus he wants to play for marvin

If it's at a good price, I can't see the Bengals NOT doing this with Hartwell... After losing the veteran presence of Simmons, you have to think Marvin would love to have something to replace that and a former draft pick of his sounds like just the thing... I'm good either way...

WHODEY !!!

MLB.starts.gif

Yup. If you go back and look, we have yet (under Marvin) to have the same three starting LBs two opening days in a row. The same thing is true at safety, where we've gone through Herring, Beckett, Madieu, K2, Ohalete and Jackson. Assuming Jackson and Madieu are the starters, this will be the first time under Marvin we've had continuity there. Even DE has seen a lot of churn, with the team using Clemons, Robinson, and Geathers, plus swing guys Powell and Fanene, now comes Rucker (and that's all in addition to switching Justin back and forth).

Hard to build a defense with such minimal continuity...

So it seems as if Marvin and I are on the same wave length, or maybe I used my telopahtic abilities to subconciously influence Marvin, or maybe it's just a coincedence. Either way I hope they are able to get a deal done asap as signing Hartwell could be one of the biggest little deals of the off-season. I'm telling you, this guy is a football player through and through, all of those fans who doubt him now will be singing his praises in a few months.

Bengals | Hartwell will visit team Thursday

Wed, 18 Apr 2007 20:05:39 -0700

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports free-agent LB Edgerton Hartwell (Falcons) will visit the Cincinnati Bengals Thursday, April 19, according to his agent Harold Lewis.

Dont look for us to sign him...1 yr vet minimum deal is too expensive for us.

Bengals | Hartwell will visit team Thursday

Wed, 18 Apr 2007 20:05:39 -0700

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports free-agent LB Edgerton Hartwell (Falcons) will visit the Cincinnati Bengals Thursday, April 19, according to his agent Harold Lewis.

Dont look for us to sign him...1 yr vet minimum deal is too expensive for us.

Geoff? ;)