Lets face it...Bengals do not get good free agents..

schnarfer

Since the beginning of the free agency era, the bengals have never been able to attract high profile players. When your biggest free agent signing in the past 10 years is Sam Adams you have problems. This offseason will be no exception. We will get a mediocre linebacker and maybe a decent DT but I would not hold your breath to see any real talent land in cincinnati. Here's to the draft!!

Personally I don't care this year, there's nobody I really wanted out there we had to have. I would be nice to get Daniel Graham but we don't need him. The only person out there I would like to keep is Eric Steinbach but I think it's smart not to pay him the kinda money he's gonna get. I think we need to figure out a way to get a 3rd round draft pick, or another 1st or 2nd rounder because this is a deep draft.

Since the beginning of the free agency era, the bengals have never been able to attract high profile players. When your biggest free agent signing in the past 10 years is Sam Adams you have problems. This offseason will be no exception. We will get a mediocre linebacker and maybe a decent DT but I would not hold your breath to see any real talent land in cincinnati. Here's to the draft!!

It's not that they don't attract free agency, they are not willing to shell out any money. I will give the Bengals some credit they know how to manipulate the hell out of Bengals fans by using the media. When they signed Nate Webster they really had me believing that he was the next Ray Lewis, please he was garbage all the way up into he got hurt. The Bengals pick up people that nobody else wants in the NFL, they are waiting to see who will be left two weeks from now and they will go after that guy and swear that he is a gem.

All I hear is whining.

Everyone was PO'd in '05 when we wouldn't up the money for Kendrell Bell/Ed Hartwell/Jamie Sharper (I know some of you are saying "who?", that's my point exactly).

Tell me what impact FA's in the past 3 years you wish the Bengals would've signed that they didn't....

EDIT: Pat Williams right now is the only one that comes to mind (we were tight on cap at the time), Sapp wasn't really productive until last year and I think he was using us to get more money out of Oakland all along.

Corey Simon, LaVar Arrington, Adam Archuleta...

Good picks, dont'cha think?

Teams don't generally fill major holes through free agency. It's just not the model for winning in the NFL. Teams that win super bowls do it by drafting well and picking up cheap role players in FA who fit well in the system.

I'm really not complaining that we didn't get in the $80 million Nate Clements derby. Or, sadly, even the nearly $50M Steinbach derby.

All I hear is whining.

Everyone was PO'd in '05 when we wouldn't up the money for Kendrell Bell/Ed Hartwell/Jamie Sharper (I know some of you are saying "who?", that's my point exactly).

Tell me what impact FA's in the past 3 years you wish the Bengals would've signed that they didn't....

EDIT: Pat Williams right now is the only one that comes to mind (we were tight on cap at the time), Sapp wasn't really productive until last year and I think he was using us to get more money out of Oakland all along.

Yes, you are right, good Free Agent signings are a myth and don't exist. :rolleyes:

Draft picks are more reliable?

All I hear is whining.

Sapp was playing out of position.

I will give the Bengals some credit they know how to manipulate the hell out of Bengals fans by using the media. When they signed Nate Webster they really had me believing that he was the next Ray Lewis, please he was garbage all the way up into he got hurt.

Didn't Webster have something like 11 tackles in a little more than a half in the game he shredded his knee? And didn't that happen in the 2nd or 3rd game of the season?

Not that it matters but are you using perfect hindsight to act like an idiot now or are you guilty of not giving Webster a chance before he was injured?

I will give the Bengals some credit they know how to manipulate the hell out of Bengals fans by using the media. When they signed Nate Webster they really had me believing that he was the next Ray Lewis, please he was garbage all the way up into he got hurt.

Didn't Webster have something like 11 tackles in a little more than a half in the game he shredded his knee? And didn't that happen in the 2nd or 3rd game of the season?

Not that it matters but are you using perfect hindsight to act like an idiot now or are you guilty of not giving Webster a chance before he was injured?

Here we go with another genius at the helm, let's see the first game Nate Webster played in that year

Curtis Martin 29 carries- 196 yards, Nate Webster a total of three tackles that game, sounds like a winner when your middle linebacker has three tackles.

Second game against Miami can't remember who the starting runningback was for Miami, but he damn sure got lucky that Ricky Williams was suspended for the year. Had 10 total tackes that game, better but what was the quality of the back he was tackling?

Third game Jamal Lewis 18 carries for a total of 186 yards , he had seven total tackles that game and got hurt in the fourth quarter. Sounds like he was on his way to being one of the great one's to me.

Nate did not have eleven tackles in not one game he played, your silly if you think he was going to get better that guy was undersized and should have been a career backup where he is relegated to now. Keep drinking the Marvin kool aid idiot on the second tier free agents that he brings to the team.

Well forget about London Fletcher for LB, he is a new redskin, he signed I believe a 5 year deal with them, so he will prolly retire a 'Skin. And the deal is for 25 Mil over 5 years, thats 5 million a year, the Bengals could swing 5 million a year for him. Its looking more and more like the same old offense next season, and the same garbage d!!!! <_<

Well forget about London Fletcher for LB, he is a new redskin, he signed I believe a 5 year deal with them, so he will prolly retire a 'Skin. And the deal is for 25 Mil over 5 years, thats 5 million a year, the Bengals could swing 5 million a year for him. Its looking more and more like the same old offense next season, and the same garbage d!!!! <_<

Apparently Dan Snyder hasn't learned from his own mistakes. "But at least he's trying!" :rolleyes:

All I hear is whining.

That's what happens when the team finished 8-8 and has seen no noticeable improvements through one day of free agency and are, at least it seems, struggling to re-sign their depth guys. That also happens when multiple reports (media) give us multiple salary cap scenarios.

80 million for nate clements? 49 million for steinbach? Dude ill pass FA sucks.

This is a different FA year, IMHO. Contracts are going through the roof. The Bengals, from the looks of it, are taking the Cincinnati Reds road -- "holy crap, we ain't paying this much for a season of sky-rocketing deals". Who can blame them?

How many free agents really make that big of a difference to their new team? Maybe a player or two but largely you are getting a guy that someone else didn't want anymore.

I think you're partially right. Teams get rid of players also because they believe they have someone better. It doesn't mean they are worthless or unwanted. A player that might not be as good one team might be a super-star on another.

Of course, this theory doesn't apply to the Bengals and Brian Simmons.

80 million for nate clements? 49 million for steinbach? Dude ill pass FA sucks.

This is a different FA year, IMHO. Contracts are going through the roof. The Bengals, from the looks of it, are taking the Cincinnati Reds road -- "holy crap, we ain't paying this much for a season of sky-rocketing deals". Who can blame them?

I dont know that FA is any different this year. Yes, the numbers are bigger, but they are always bigger. And for all the talk about "the Bengals paying, or not paying," remember the money really isn't the Bengals', or any other teams' money really "their" money, not in the same way the money in your pocket is yours. The teams must spend it, at least $96m of it each, on players. They can't spend it on bubbles or stadium improvements or anything else. It's all one big pool of dough, mostly earned through broadcast, cable and satellite rights, that teams simply distribute to players -- and must by contract distribute to players -- each year. The real question is, do they spend it well? And in FA, my answer is no. They always seem a step behind (like this year's apparent wishin'/hopin'/prayin' that no one will give big bucks to Kelly) or to get caught misjudging the market (like the way they got burnt with Graham and ended up having to match a big deal). Maybe things will be different this year, it's only day two. We'll see.