Live Mock Draft Comments Thread

Spor_tees

I would guess now that Leon goes before Revis but Revis is one CB who has the best shot to wow coaches. The rap is going to be that he's more of a zone and bracket corner and lacks the speed to hang in man in the bigs. If he can crush that doubt in their minds, he could go Top 10. If not, he could slide out of the 1st.

Chris Houston is another CB who can make giant strides. He's probably the closest thing to a true shutdown corner in this draft and like Hall has got the quicks to hang with the faster slot WRs. Deep speed will be an issue with him though and Robert Meachem exposed some of that this year. Still, I'd look for Houston and Hall to go in the 1st and that might be it. McCauley should be able to impress scouts enough with ability at least to warrant a team like the Saints to grab at him (how hard would it be for a team to grab any CB when they got Fred Thomas).

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking that the Jags go offense, not defense with their pick. Their defense was lock down when it needed to be last year and they are definitely solid at corner and nickel. It was their offense let them down in key games. If they do anything with a defensive pick it will be at DE to replace an aging Paul Spicer and complement McCray. If the pick is Offense, then start with upgrading the QB. I see a big reach here with Quinn and Russell off the board.

The Bengals are on the clock!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've often times documented my distaste for Troy Smith as an NFL prospect on this board, but I could see the Jags making this reach. They did the same with Matt Jones in '04, and went offense in '05 with Marcedes Lewis.

Before Sportees makes the pick, any speculation on who it is or what position? Do they jump on a CB like Hall, a safety/CB like Nelson, or get younger up front with Pitcock or Tyler at DT? I'd say that the 1st round DE talent is gone, and if you look at BPA offense or defense is going to be a DT or CB/S. So, my pick would be Nelson, another Medieu like tweener that can really hit!

Before Sportees makes the pick, any speculation on who it is or what position? Do they jump on a CB like Hall, a safety/CB like Nelson, or get younger up front with Pitcock or Tyler at DT? I'd say that the 1st round DE talent is gone, and if you look at BPA offense or defense is going to be a DT or CB/S. So, my pick would be Nelson, another Medieu like tweener that can really hit!

Yeah, gimme a DB. Hall or Nelson would be satisfactory. Pitcock sucks, though I do think there are some DEs left worth looking at.

You'd probably win that bet, once one or more of the corners has a good combine and rockets up the board.

No doubt. I see Revis finally went. Interesting choice for Ciincy coming up if Jax doesn't take Leon Hall. At 5'11" Hall doesn't have the size the Bengals typically look for at corner, but he has the smarts, skills and speed to be a shutdown corner.

I'd dig the Hall pick. He'd be a nice complement to Joseph in the long run, and not just his clone. There're a lot of good DB's left on the board, I'd be very pleased to see things shake out this way.

I have a sneakin' suspicion Spor Tees is going to take Buster Davis though. :P

Hmmm . . . Buster Davis. He's a great down hill player, and would be a really good fit as an inside backer on a 3-4 defense. Is he the best fit for a 4-3? How is his drop back and deep coverage skill? That said, again I love the way he fills on the run game and really gives a RB a little love!

Yeah, gimme a DB. Hall or Nelson would be satisfactory. Pitcock sucks, though I do think there are some DEs left worth looking at.

I would have taken Nelson over Hall and Hall over McCauley.

"With the top two DE's gone, the top 2 DT's gone, and the top LB gone off the board, the Bengals go with the next big thing. McCauley has the size, 6'1" 205 lbs, and the speed, 4.35, that the Bengals covet. With any hope, McCauley can be the next Jonathan Joseph for the Bengals. Well minus the marijuana charges that is."

Did I miss something? JJ has mary jane charges pending?

As for the pick, solid, very solid. I'd be happy with a good tackling fast cover CB. Maybe we got him at a spot a little earlier that most would predict him going, but Marvin seldom follow the norm when it comes to draft day.

I'm thinking that the Jags go offense, not defense with their pick. Their defense was lock down when it needed to be last year and they are definitely solid at corner and nickel. It was their offense let them down in key games. If they do anything with a defensive pick it will be at DE to replace an aging Paul Spicer and complement McCray. If the pick is Offense, then start wit upgrading the QB. I see a big reach here with Quinn and Russell off the board.

The Bengals are on the clock!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really don't see Troy smith a upgrade over leftiwich. 2 of biggest needs for jaguars are S and DE but they could go offense I just don't see Troy smith going to them...but I guess its hard to get past being a buckeye homer :P

marcus McCauley

Seems to have a ton of upside had a very bad year this year...but if can be coached up and play to max of his potential we could have one of the best combo of corners in the nfl....reminds me of the potential antonio cromartie had.

marcus McCauley

Seems to have a ton of upside had a very bad year this year...but if can be coached up and play to max of his potential we could have one of the best combo of corners in the nfl....reminds me of the potential antonio cromartie had.

McCauley should be a decent 1st round pick. He's probably the most ideal weakside corner in the draft because of how physical he is against the run. He also runs well enough to maybe pull off the kind of slot work that J Joseph now does for the Bengals. I'd say Hall is better suited for the slot than him and Houston is the better man cover corner, but McCauley should work out well enough -- certainly better than Tory James on the last leg of his career or Keiwan Ratliff.

I'm not sure how bad a year McCauley really had, though. Fresno stunk this year and maybe McCauley's play reflected that somewhat but he sure wasn't the problem when they faced Oregon and Boise.

Schwein do think houston could go rnd 1? I see more and more mocks placing him there he does seem to have alot of upside and a good combine my make him skyrocket.

If Houston shows he a dominant shutdown corner at the combine (which he looks like to me he's the best one in the draft, except for the possibility that Reggie Nelson could emerge as that), then he'd put himself in a poisition to be the 1st corner drafted and a Top 10 pick.

The guy pretty much shackled everybody he went up against and the only vulnerability I saw in his game was to bigeer, longer legged WRs who got fluid hitches on double moves and got behind him -- Robert Meachem was the only one. The quick route cutter and the possession types, Houston can dog all over the field. He's a slot CB, a man corner from either side, just the most complete CB in the draft I'd say.

Well we will definitely have less people doing this next time...probably 8 people doing 4 teams each. This is turning into my own mock draft at this point. I will go ahead and draft for Kurgan since it has been 24 hours. I did send him a PM and he never got on to take his pick...

New England/Seattle are now on the clock...which is TDB's pick

New England/Seattle are now on the clock...which is TDB's pick

Actually I think its WCA's, he's got the Pats...he's usually around...my picks are back up in the draft thread...

No because Seattle didn't get a first round pick and the Pats get 2, I stated in the rules that I would let TDB pick the Seattle original pick for New England so that he wasn't getting screwed out of making a first round pick like everyone else. For all the next mock's we will probably have to group Seattle and New England together to avoid this problem again.

Dwayne Bowe as a 1st rounder is looking more and more likely given how well he has shown up at the Senior Bowl and how much trouble the DBs are having keeping him from getting separation in the short area. His eye surgery did wonders for him this year and it didn't hurt having a QB like JaMarcus Russell spinning to him.

However, Bowe as a possession receiver relied on for mainly shorter and intermediate routes is still going to cause teams some reservation because he still drops ball. As a downfield blocker, Larry Johnson would love him, though, and even with Gonzalez around for the foreseeable future, no question the Chiefs could use a WR like Bowe who basically looks like a RB once he gets the ball.