Bengals vs Colts

Kazkal

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be rooting for you guys. You win, we win, the Ravens are smelling home field advantage.

On the other hand AZ, do you really want to face us again in the playoffs? You guys beat us once this year but as long as we don't spot you 14 points, do you think your O can hang with us? This is not smack by the way, I am just curious as to your overall opinion of a possible playoff game between us.

I think the game plan next week is the same as this week minus the interceptions by Carson. I think the Jags have definately figured out how to beat the Colts by sticking with the run, however I do question if our run game is as explosive. I think the D is playing much better so that could cause Indy problems as well. But if we get into a shootout our team is the same as last year only more mature and theirs has lost a big weapon in edge and is older.

Mike Green

Waynesville Ohio

(yeah, yeah, I know folks don't like to fixate on the Steelers ... but ... )

And just think even if the Steelers win on Sunday against the Panthers, should the Jags beat the Titans, then as we sit Monday Night we could very well be in a position to officially knock the the Steelers out of the playoffs with a win over the Colts. We all know that with 9 wins we are guaranteed the #2 spot in the division, and that would also be the Jags 9th win (having beaten the Steelers earlier this year). There are a few other teams that would have to lose on next Sunday to make it 'official', but the point is that it could be us to put the stamp on the Steelers season, as well as propel ourselves into the final 2 weeks with 9 wins and counting.

A huge Monday game any way you look at it.

If you look at last years game compared to this years.

+D. JaX

+M. Williams

+J. Joseph

+Sam Adams

-Ohalete

-Dallas Clarke

-Corey Simon

This is a game where the Bengals have to stick with the run. I don't like the idea of a shoot-out, but I have a hard time seeing the Colts losing 3 straight, but our boys are hot. I think if the Bengals go 2-1 they are in!!! Then anything can happen. I would like a San Diego rematch! Palmer in a homecoming? Niiiiiice. 1 step at a time

Sounds like Rudi may have career day

I would like to believe that, but it wont happen, and here's why......

1) The Jags 375 rushing yards were mostly split by 3 guys...Jones-Drew 166 yds, Taylor 131 yds, Pearman 71 yds....Rudi is only 1 man, He is a Horse, but 3 sets of fresh legs were the difference.

2) the Jags 375 rushing yards came on 42 carries, no way we will be in a position to run the ball 42 times against them, to do that, you need to have a HUGE lead.

3) Garrard had only 79 yards passing, and only 14 pass ATTEMPTS. NO WAY IN HELL Carson takes any less than 25-30 attempts, and has less than 275-300 yards Minimum.

. That said, If we build a lead, we should give Rudi a few "breathers" and forget Watson, I WANT to see Jeremi Johnson get some damn carries, and just Smash the Hell out of the weak Colts Run D. Then use Rudi's fresh legs, to bust a big one or two.

+D. JaX

+M. Williams

+J. Joseph

+Sam Adams

-Ohalete

-Dallas Clarke

-Corey Simon

This is a game where the Bengals have to stick with the run. I don't like the idea of a shoot-out, but I have a hard time seeing the Colts losing 3 straight, but our boys are hot. I think if the Bengals go 2-1 they are in!!! Then anything can happen. I would like a San Diego rematch! Palmer in a homecoming? Niiiiiice. 1 step at a time

... and if Bob Sanders is out again, that would only help our running game. I, like many others, think his absence is a big piece of their failures (they still wouldn't be great, but better of course).

+D. JaX

+M. Williams

+J. Joseph

+Sam Adams

-Ohalete

-Dallas Clarke

-Corey Simon

... and if Bob Sanders is out again, that would only help our running game. I, like many others, think his absence is a big piece of their failures (they still wouldn't be great, but better of course).

and isnt stokley hurt again too?

and isnt stokley hurt again too?

Yes. My understanding is that Stokley's knee injury might be serious. Hate to hear that. I know Sanders has been out for some time with a knee injury, and have no idea of his status for next week, but it's looking like Stokley won't be there (if at all for the rest of the year).

Sounds like Rudi may have career day

I would like to believe that, but it wont happen, and here's why......

1) The Jags 375 rushing yards were mostly split by 3 guys...Jones-Drew 166 yds, Taylor 131 yds, Pearman 71 yds....Rudi is only 1 man, He is a Horse, but 3 sets of fresh legs were the difference.

2) the Jags 375 rushing yards came on 42 carries, no way we will be in a position to run the ball 42 times against them, to do that, you need to have a HUGE lead.

3) Garrard had only 79 yards passing, and only 14 pass ATTEMPTS. NO WAY IN HELL Carson takes any less than 25-30 attempts, and has less than 275-300 yards Minimum.

. That said, If we build a lead, we should give Rudi a few "breathers" and forget Watson, I WANT to see Jeremi Johnson get some damn carries, and just Smash the Hell out of the weak Colts Run D. Then use Rudi's fresh legs, to bust a big one or two.

I agree that 40+ carries for Rudi would be tough. But that aside, like you note, we have three sets of legs, so I can't see why we can't duplicate what Jax did. As to point 2, no, you don't need a huge lead to run a lot, you just need to not be way behind (and if you are geting 8 or 10 yards a pop on the ground, you can run even then!). I do agree that they will probably have Carson throw more than Garrard..but then again, maybe not. We'll see.

If you watched that game, you know that the kind of yardage being given up isn't Rudi's forte. He's not the "break a 70 yard run" back. However... the other thing you would notice is that many of the long runs were sparked by some of the worst tackling I've ever seen in an NFL game. If they continue to tackle like that, you can expect Rudi to average well over 5 yards/carry. He might not break any 70 yarders... but he'll be good for his consistent 5-10 yard gains on a regular basis.

We're a bit pass-happy, so I don't see this game being controlled by Rudi. But if he can get us 5 or 6 yards on 1st down, Palmer will be able to extend drives and keep Manning on the sidelines.

I just don't know though. Call me a pessimist, but I just don't see the Colts losing 3 straight. They'll be ready to play Monday night... and even though we'll be able to score on them, I get the feeling they will return the favor.

P.S. The Colts are undefeated at home this season, and are 20-2 over the last 3 years. It's not an easy place to play... especially on Monday night.

If you watched that game, you know that the kind of yardage being given up isn't Rudi's forte. He's not the "break a 70 yard run" back. However... the other thing you would notice is that many of the long runs were sparked by some of the worst tackling I've ever seen in an NFL game. If they continue to tackle like that, you can expect Rudi to average well over 5 yards/carry. He might not break any 70 yarders... but he'll be good for his consistent 5-10 yard gains on a regular basis.

We're a bit pass-happy, so I don't see this game being controlled by Rudi. But if he can get us 5 or 6 yards on 1st down, Palmer will be able to extend drives and keep Manning on the sidelines.

I just don't know though. Call me a pessimist, but I just don't see the Colts losing 3 straight. They'll be ready to play Monday night... and even though we'll be able to score on them, I get the feeling they will return the favor.

P.S. The Colts are undefeated at home this season, and are 20-2 over the last 3 years. It's not an easy place to play... especially on Monday night.

That's exactly what we want. We don't want the 70-yarder that gets Peyton back on the field, not that I'd yell for Rudi to run out of bounds if he broke one, but still. Pass happy as we may be, the Colts have a historically bad defense, particularly against the run. Though I think we'd fare better than most teams in a shootout with them, that's not how teams have beaten them this year. If I can get 5 YPC on the run, I'll run all night, period.

Run the ball 30 times, 20 to Rudi, 6 to Watson, 3 to JJ, and one end around with a WR.

They will be ready to play, I have no doubt about that.

That's exactly what we want. We don't want the 70-yarder that gets Peyton back on the field, not that I'd yell for Rudi to run out of bounds if he broke one, but still. Pass happy as we may be, the Colts have a historically bad defense, particularly against the run. Though I think we'd fare better than most teams in a shootout with them, that's not how teams have beaten them this year. If I can get 5 YPC on the run, I'll run all night, period.

Run the ball 30 times, 20 to Rudi, 6 to Watson, 3 to JJ, and one end around with a WR.

They will be ready to play, I have no doubt about that.

Agreed. These quick scores allowed the Chargers back that game. What a difference in the standings had we won that game.

It's hard to call this game. The Colts have the type of running game that could give the Bengals D fits. The D has really held up well against the run, but the Colts like to run outside, and cutback. Those cutback runs are still the Bengals achillies heel.

Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison will get there looks, but Stokley being out is huge for one reason. The Bengals are the worst team in the NFL when it comes to defending 3rd receivers. It seems most teams number 3 have big games against the Bengals, (Ronald Curry yesterday).

Dallas Clark lit the Bengals up last year, but he may not play, and Ben Utecht is not as explosive in the seams.

The Colts have major problems on D, not only stopping the run, but in the secondary as well. Teams haven't had to exploit them through the air, because they have either been playing catch up or the running game has been effective. Bethea (their other starting S) got hurt yesterday as well, and their safety situation looked eerily similar to the Bengals last season, with special team players filling in.

The Jags exploited the Colts with Draws and delayed handoffs. Rudi has gotta hit the holes hard and not run into the back of his linemen in this game. The Colts will be better, how much, depends on Sanders and Bethea's health.

I would expect to see Peyton and the Colts run alot of no huddle. It will be fun to watch next Monday.

Meh, forget the Ravens. They don't matter anymore until (if) we play them in the playoffs. The division is theirs, and I wouldn't mind helping them along the homefield/bye week path by kicking the crap out of the Colts.

I'd much rather face them at home than oh say the chargers!

It's hard to call this game. The Colts have the type of running game that could give the Bengals D fits. The D has really held up well against the run, but the Colts like to run outside, and cutback. Those cutback runs are still the Bengals achillies heel.

Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison will get there looks, but Stokley being out is huge for one reason. The Bengals are the worst team in the NFL when it comes to defending 3rd receivers. It seems most teams number 3 have big games against the Bengals, (Ronald Curry yesterday).

Dallas Clark lit the Bengals up last year, but he may not play, and Ben Utecht is not as explosive in the seams.

The Colts have major problems on D, not only stopping the run, but in the secondary as well. Teams haven't had to exploit them through the air, because they have either been playing catch up or the running game has been effective. Bethea (their other starting S) got hurt yesterday as well, and their safety situation looked eerily similar to the Bengals last season, with special team players filling in.

The Jags exploited the Colts with Draws and delayed handoffs. Rudi has gotta hit the holes hard and not run into the back of his linemen in this game. The Colts will be better, how much, depends on Sanders and Bethea's health.

I would expect to see Peyton and the Colts run alot of no huddle. It will be fun to watch next Monday.

Game plan's really easy to draw up, harder to execute.

1) Get the lead.

2) Double wideouts and don't let Marvin or Reggie beat you and keep a hand in Peyton's face.

3) Ball control offense to keep Bengals D fresh. RUDI, RUDI, RUDI.

I'd love to see us have to put Watson in because Rudi wears himself out like the Jax RBs did yesterday.

Now I know why the Colts defense is getting gashed in the run game.

From Len P. at espn.com

• Although Ron Meeks holds the title of defensive coordinator, assistant head coach Leslie Frazier is getting a lot of input into the Indianapolis Colts' game plan. But there are some players who felt, even before Sunday's bashing by Jacksonville, that it's time for head coach Tony Dungy to put an even bigger fingerprint on the struggling defense.

Now I know why the Colts defense is getting gashed in the run game.

From Len P. at espn.com

• Although Ron Meeks holds the title of defensive coordinator, assistant head coach Leslie Frazier is getting a lot of input into the Indianapolis Colts' game plan. But there are some players who felt, even before Sunday's bashing by Jacksonville, that it's time for head coach Tony Dungy to put an even bigger fingerprint on the struggling defense.

Yeah, I got a chuckle out of that, too. Tough to point the finger at Leslie, or Meeks, or even Dungy, tho. Colts D has been beaten up something fierce by injury. When you're down to playing fifth and sixth stringers, bad things are going to happen more often than not.

I feel pretty good about this game, which is a marked change from as recently as five or six week ago, when I had it written off as a Bengals loss. Now? It's a toss-up. The biggest thing I'm worried about is the sudden sloppiness the Bengals' showed yesterday. They can't afford to give the Colts any extra chances or they will get blown out. But if they take care of the ball, I think they have every chance to post a win, and further, to win by a respectable margin.

Toss-up? Maybe, at best.

For being an "optimist" or whatever camp people here put me in, I don't feel great about this one. Simply think the Colts will be too focused and too angry and embarrassed coming off of the last two weeks, in particular last week, for the Bengals to get past them.

Season will hinge on whether they can handle Denver in Denver on Christmas Eve.

Damn, wish they had the Tampa game back...would be much happier at 9-4 right now with basically one win needed, rather than needing two.

Still, glad that we are even having this conversation...