Bengals Get Deltha O'Neal in Draft Pick Trade

Kchrpm

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great move. The Bengals basically got a first round corner with proven ability (as opposed to a first round corner with unproven ability). They keep a first round pick, and they got a fourth round pick. The only way this becomes a bad move is if someone we want hangs around at 17 (like Wilfork or Udeze). But this shores up the corner position while letting us draft a good player in the first round.

First off, let's put this in perspective. To judge this trade as stupid or a success, compare O'neal to Weathersby. For the time being, I really like it. Now we can be patient and not rush Dennis in there. Also, his problems in Denver were with Shanahan, not his ability to make the plays he did early in his career. WHO DEY

Great move! I'm pumped! I wonder how this move will change the first pick. Do you think they will still draft a DT or CB? I know they have a bunch more options now!

Man,Marvins lit a candle and put it right on Mikey's ass! Keep it up Marv! :D

Why would they waste a first round pick on a cornerback after this move!?! :blink:

Good pick up & only move down a few spots plus a 4th rounder how can you not like that!! Just curious though, do you guys think we'll still go after Gardner then draft the best player available or will we try to get a DL in the draft if so will there even be a good one there @ the 24th pick.? GO BENGALS!!! Jonboat

Thanks for the cap info. I was wondering about that before passing judgement. With those numbers, if the guy doesnt pan out, he is an easy drop with no signing bonus. No loose prospect. Makes DT a no brainer at #24 unless something unexpected falls to us. Starks is possibility. I would also like to see us make a move to the Jets #12. Not much value for the Jets at that pick and we could secure one of the best fat a$$es available. Overall, I'm happy with the move. Dont forget Jerimi Johnson came in the fourth as well as Weathersby. :D

just saw a mock draft at nfldraftcountdown.com and they have us taking..

1.Marcus tubbs Dt-Texas

2.Jake Grove C-Virginia Tech

3.Maurice Clarret Rb -THE OSU(I did THE to piss u guys off...lol)

3b. Shaun Phillips DE-Purdue

They have the broncos taking Vince Wilforf DT from Miami with our 17th pick.

They dont have us picking three times in the third....Am I smoking crack or do we have three picks? I could have swore we did

Excellent trade move in my humble opinion - very nice to see Mr.Lewis & Mr.Brown working so effectively together. :D

They dont have us picking three times in the third....Am I smoking crack or do we have three picks? I could have swore we did

Your thinking of the future pick we get for CD. We only have two for now.

If the Denver sight is any indication, the general consenses appears to be that they gave too much to the Bengals.

Got to love it :D

being and avid bronocs fan of many years; WE ARE GOING TO LIKE THIS ADDITION!!!!!!! this guy can play. man have we up graded our secondary in less than 2 years; James, Herring and now O'neal. this is AWESOME BABY. and BARBARIAN, as for shannahan, didn't he win back to back super bowls!!!!!! :D

If the Denver sight is any indication, the general consenses appears to be that they gave too much to the Bengals"

Man this trade is so un-typical of Mike Brown it's scary! How encouraging is that? And yes, in my opinion we came out WAY ahead on this deal!! :lol:

For once we seem to be the takers instead of the ones getting took! B)

Am i the only one who thinks this was a stupid trade?

We are now out of any hopes of getting a top teir player in round 1 who can start from day 1. Will Smith, Udeze, Wilfork, Hall, Robinson. Any chances of any of them making it to our pick is gone. Deltha O'Neal is a BAD cornerback. He had one good game one year and everyone things hes good. Terrible trade in my book.

We are now out of any hopes of getting a top teir player in round 1 who can start from day 1. Will Smith, Udeze, Wilfork, Hall, Robinson. Any chances of any of them making it to our pick is gone. Deltha O'Neal is a BAD cornerback. He had one good game one year and everyone things hes good. Terrible trade in my book.

You sir, are an idiot.

Deltha Oneil was a probowl corner before fans votes were being used online. He had 2 great seasons coming into the league. Then, he had a couple bad games and Shannahan decided since he'd had injuries to his top 2 receivers he would convert Deltha to offense. Deltha didn't like it, wasn't ready for it, had never done it, and failed. He had 1 bad season in which he was benched because he and Shannahan didn't get along.

He's going to be great here and will be back in the pro bowl this season.

Having Deltha upgrades the CB instead of tapping into the guessing game in 2 weeks for two required positions in the first two rounds. If we go after a DL in the first round, then we'd have go through the 2nd round to pick up a CB or vice versa. Just because the mentioned players are high profile, doesn't mean they are going to be good in the NFL.

Plus a 24th round relieves a little money because he'd make less than a 17th rounder.. yes yes yes, I know it's picky, but with the crunch we're in, anything would help financially.

It gives the team a ton of flexibility and options now. Plus an extra 4th is pretty cool too...

Question really is: is O'neil a bad CB or a unhappy WR. The guy has flashed skills. No reason to think it might be all mental for him. Amazing what a little coaching confidence can do for a guy. I say he will be get back to form under ML. Not a huge commitment by the Bengals but really big upside potential. We can still move up from here if Marvin wants. The DL is one of the deepest positions so he may be content to stay put. Keep the faith :D

I think it's a great trade. Moving down from 17th to 24th seems pretty minor unless you have a "gots to get" situation (and if you do, then you'd certainly want to go higher than 17th - too many variables at 17th). O'Neal will probably be as good or better than any rookie we might draft, at least this year. Having an extra pick (even in the fourth) is a positive too. No, it's not a home run, but after years of watching the front-office pay the "Bengal's Surcharge" everytime they try to do anything, it's nice to see a deal where we at least break even, and probably come out ahead.

It could turn out that way. If O'Neal stinks it up while the donks walk away with a top-tier guy who slipped (and who pans out) then the Bengals end up with egg on their faces. On the other hand, even if that happens and our No. 24 works out...we really don't lose anything (in fact we gained a 4th). The bottom line is that it will be at least one year, and probably more like 2-3 years, before we can judge whether the deal was ultimately good or bad for either team. The reason I like it, as I said earlier, is that it's a bold, proactive move. I would much rather see the Bengals roll the dice, even if they lose, than sit around carping about cap space and picking over waiver wire rejects.

Marvin was just on 1360 homer talking about the trade and O'Neal.

-- Called O'Neal a "cover corner" wth "trememdous speed and athletic ability" and noted that he "played well against Chad" in the Denver game.

-- Said that O'Neal's athletic skills haven't diminished but acknowledged he had been struggling in Denver. "That was them and this is us," he said, and that it was now the Bengals' job to "coach him up."

-- Said Hue Jackson coached O'Neal through high school & college, so there's a comfort level there and confidence O'Neal will respond to coaching.

-- Didn't give any inisight into the 24th pick but did say "we're not done, we'll keep working" in FA.

-- Said O'Neal will compete with Weathersby for the starting job opposite Tory James, but that the "plan" right now was that O'Neal would be the starter. "This means we don't have to rush him (meaning Weathersby) out," Lewis said.

Joisey, thanks for the info... I liked the following:

Said Hue Jackson coached O'Neal through high school & college, so there's a comfort level there and confidence O'Neal will respond to coaching

This may be the wild card for O'Neal being the best CB of all time! OK, maybe that's much, but at least improved from his final days in Denver..