Bengals Get Deltha O'Neal in Draft Pick Trade

Kchrpm

From Bengals.com:

Bengals trade for Pro Bowl corner

4/9/2004 -

In one fell swoop Friday, the Bengals got a Pro Bowl cornerback, picked up a fourth-round draft pick, and still remained in prime position in the first round of the NFL Draft. Late Thursday night, Cincinnati completed a trade with Denver in which they swapped first-round picks and the Broncos gave the Bengals cornerback Deltha O’Neal and a fourth-rounder to move up from No. 24 to No. 17 in the first round.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Bengals.com:

Bengals trade for Pro Bowl corner

4/9/2004 -

In one fell swoop Friday, the Bengals got a Pro Bowl cornerback, picked up a fourth-round draft pick, and still remained in prime position in the first round of the NFL Draft. Late Thursday night, Cincinnati completed a trade with Denver in which they swapped first-round picks and the Broncos gave the Bengals cornerback Deltha O’Neal and a fourth-rounder to move up from No. 24 to No. 17 in the first round.

WOW! Didn't see that coming.

First gutsy move the Bengals have made all offseason. It may or may not end up being stupid, but at least it shows some proactivity. I think I mostly like the deal, tho I'm not crazy about it.

Describing O'Neal as a "Pro Bowl" CB is a bit disingenuous; he had one good year and then has consistently sucked (and has even ended up playing some at WR, I believe). But how much of his struggles were Denver-related and how much are O'Neal-related I don't know, and I liked the idea of picking him up when rumors flew about him being released earlier this year.

Not crazy about dropping to 24th...but on the other hand there was no player likely to be around at 17 who made me go ohh-ahh, so why not? I have to think our first round pick is about 95% certain to be a DT now.

Extra 4th? Never hurts, and we might be able to package it with something else to move up.

I like the move. I think it just shot our CB position way high in terms of solidity; now we have James and a former Pro Bowl CB. That's not a bad scenario with Weathersby as the Nickle.

Picking up an extra 4th is good too. How many 4th round picks have come into the league and performed well. Sure the odds are against 4th rounders turning into great Pro Bowl players, but the possibilities are still there.

I'm very pleased with this. It'll pretty much quieted me down for now against the Bengals front office.

Describing O'Neal as a "Pro Bowl" CB is a bit disingenuous; he had one good year and then has consistently sucked (and has even ended up playing some at WR, I believe). But how much of his struggles were Denver-related and how much are O'Neal-related I don't know, and I liked the idea of picking him up when rumors flew about him being released earlier this year.

I can't say that O'Neal sucked after his Pro Bowl year. He did have a solid 2002 season and often injured in 2003; so I'll wait a little bit before I judge that. But I can agree that his "problems" could be Denver-related.

Is anyone else as giddy as me? I'm half close to dancing! :lol:

I dont understand how anyone can be negative about this....lol, People have been bitching about how they havent done anythign this off season, and now we do.

Is everyone sold on webster??? I say we draft Jon Vilma. They say he might be switched to an outside linebacker because of his speed. I say this guy is a MONSTER. Actually... I say we trade carson palmer and our #24 pick and then draft Eli Manning.........lol... Just kidding by the way...lol

I can't say that O'Neal sucked after his Pro Bowl year. He did have a solid 2002 season and often injured in 2003; so I'll wait a little bit before I judge that. But I can agree that his "problems" could be Denver-related.

Is anyone else as giddy as me? I'm half close to dancing! :lol:

I can't say I'm giddy, but I am pleased to see that the front office has crawled out from the wreckage of its initial FA/draft plans and gotten back in the game. In past years, they would have done nothing more than wait for the draft (whining about the cap as an excuse for not doing anything) and finally picked a few bits of junk off the waiver wire in June.

All I know about O'Neal in Denver is that there was something (negative) between him and Shanahan. But again, whether Shanny was unhappy with his poor play, or the bad relationship helped cause the poor play, I dunno.

I dont understand how anyone can be negative about this....lol, People have been bitching about how they havent done anythign this off season, and now we do.

Is everyone sold on webster??? I say we draft Jon Vilma. They say he might be switched to an outside linebacker because of his speed. I say this guy is a MONSTER. Actually... I say we trade carson palmer and our #24 pick and then draft Eli Manning.........lol... Just kidding by the way...lol

I still think we need to go after a defensive lineman. That position has not been touched in terms of additions this whole off-season.

I took a quick spin around the board at the f2f donks site, broncosfreak.com. Consensus appears to be (pre the announcement of this trade) that O'Neal was suffering frm a lack of confidence, and that there was at least a possibility of him reviving his career if he moved on. Someone pasted in an article from a Denver paper quoting Shanny that he thought O'Neal could be a Pro Bowl...wide receiver :ph34r:

They've started a thread on the trade at http://www.broncosfreak.com/portal/forum/s...p?threadid=7421

I can't think of the last time I said this about the Bungles Front Office--BUT I LIKE THE HELL OUT OF THIS MOVE!!!

This comment in this thread made me giggle a little:

"All I know about O'Neal in Denver is that there was something (negative) between him and Shanahan."

You mean Coach Shanahan can't get along with somebody??? hahahahaha!!!! That guy must be a major prick. Plus, ever since Shanahan took over Management responsibilities, the Broncos have gone downhill a little.

*ahem Where was I???*

Oh yeah, Deltha O'Neal:

I think he's still got the tools to be a Pro Bowler type. His injuries as of late has banged up his confidence.

Another plus for the Bungles is that he RETURNS PUNTS FOR BIG GAINS!!!!!

Very nice pickup. Hopefully, his injury isn't lingering or I may have to change my mind about this one.

How's that for a positive response, Kev???

I got this off the broncos message board...ait it the truth

The Dark Knight

aka Bronco Benny

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by rascal

Well according the draft chart (http://www.nfldraftview.com/tvchart.html) this is an even trade.

#17 is worth 975

#24 is worth 800

our fourth rounder (117) is worth 64

Assuming Deltha is the worth first pick in fourth round that is 112.

So 800+64+112=976. Looks even to me but that depends on how much you think oneal is worth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I betcha Marvin Lewis can turn him into something special though.

Throwing a beatdown

Go Buy Firefly on DVD right now.

O'Neal, James, and Weathersby are a great start. Now Marvin can take the corner he covets in round 2, while picking up solid defensive linebacking or line work, possibly even picking Jake Grove by trading down yet again.

We all know that the corner he has wanted for some time now was a reach at #17. Jeremy LeSeur and Nathan Vasher will still be there at the #17 pick in round 2. In round 1 Starks MIGHT still be there, Dwan Edwards WILL still be there,

Also, we can trade down some more or just "reach" for Jake Grove. After all Levi Jones was a "reach" wasn't he? And hasn't he been worth the pick?

I can't think of the last time I said this about the Bungles Front Office--BUT I LIKE THE HELL OUT OF THIS MOVE!!!

This comment in this thread made me giggle a little:

"All I know about O'Neal in Denver is that there was something (negative) between him and Shanahan."

You mean Coach Shanahan can't get along with somebody??? hahahahaha!!!! That guy must be a major prick. Plus, ever since Shanahan took over Management responsibilities, the Broncos have gone downhill a little.

*ahem Where was I???*

Oh yeah, Deltha O'Neal:

I think he's still got the tools to be a Pro Bowler type. His injuries as of late has banged up his confidence.

Another plus for the Bungles is that he RETURNS PUNTS FOR BIG GAINS!!!!!

Very nice pickup. Hopefully, his injury isn't lingering or I may have to change my mind about this one.

How's that for a positive response, Kev???

Why do you keep calling them the Bungles?

I TOLD all you guy's it was too early to grade this free agent period! And of course we didn't see it coming...that's the way Marvin is gonna work it! Great move Bengals!!

I can see alot people here running to regrade this organization now! B)

I think this is a damn good move. We get Deltha, a 4th rounder, and move down from 17 to 24. Thats a good deal. Having Weathersby (virtually a rookie), another rookie cb, and James would have been scary. At least now, we got 2 starters with experience.

Now if we can just move Dillion............

Friday, April 9, 2004

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Convinced that they can land a player of comparable value even later in the opening stanza, the Cincinnati Bengals traded spots in the first round of the draft Friday with the Denver Broncos.

In exchange for moving back seven spots, from No. 17 overall to 24th, the Bengals received four-year veteran corner Deltha O'Neal and the Broncos' fourth-round choice. Denver officials considered it a palatable price to pay for making a significant move upward in the first round.

The departure of O'Neal, a former first-round pick who had fallen into disfavor with coach Mike Shanahan, is hardly surprising. O'Neal's stock dropped so much in the second half of the '03 season that he was switched to wide receiver. Shanahan hinted at the league meetings last week that he had a team interested in the cornerback.

O'Neal, 27, was adamant about playing cornerback and he certainly will have an opportunity to resurrect his career at the position in Cincinnati. The Bengals, seeking to acquire a veteran cornerback to pair with starter Tory James, were unsuccessful in recent attempts to land unrestricted free agents Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor.

If they can rehabilitate O'Neal, who was named to the AFC Pro Bowl squad in 2001, they will have secured the kind of big, physical corner preferred by coach Marvin Lewis and defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier. The Bengals assume the remainder of the contract signed by O'Neal in 2000.

That deal has three years remaining, at base salaries of $552,000 (2004), $1.19 million (2005) and $1.327 million (2006).

Cincinnati executives concluded during their draft meetings that the upper echelon prospects likely will be gone by the 17th position on April 24. Their rationale is that they can get essentially a player of equal value with the 24th choice.

O'Neal started 30 games in 2001-2002 and had 14 interceptions, including nine in 2001. But he lost his starting job last season, starting just six times, and recorded only 22 tackles and one interception. He's the latest example of how poorly Shanahan and the Broncos have evaluated defensive back prospects.

For his career, O'Neal has 164 tackles, 15 interceptions and 39 passes defensed in 61 appearances and 36 starts. A dangerous kick returner, he has averaged 22.6 yards on 55 kickoff returns and 10.4 yards on 128 punt runbacks.

Len Pasquarelli is

I think this is a damn good move. We get Deltha, a 4th rounder, and move down from 17 to 24. Thats a good deal. Having Weathersby (virtually a rookie), another rookie cb, and James would have been scary. At least now, we got 2 starters with experience.

Now if we can just move Dillion............

I agree, and the clincher to me was that extra pick in the 4th.

That deal has three years remaining, at base salaries of $552,000 (2004), $1.19 million (2005) and $1.327 million (2006).

wow...salary doubles next year..................lets just hope he produces....lol...damn Im stoked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!