BengalsZone Big Board '07

HoosierCat

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If all they're gonna get are pedestrians like Okoye, Carriker, Willis, Leon Hall and especially Paul Posluszny, the Bengals ought to trade down out of the 1st round so they don't have to commit a long-term contract and big money to junk like that.

Could be a great year to deal down with a team that wants a WR because there are 6 1st round quality ones in this draft and teams below the Bengals, like the Broncs, Chiefs, Pats, Bolts, etc could start looking to rise.

Maybe time to start the talks like 2004 when there was a glut of RBs from 2nd half of 1st round on. Bengals ended up with O'Neal, Stacy the Giant, Jumpy Jr. and Chris Perry instead of just one player by trading down but infortunately got stuck with a chump like Perry anyway.

Pats got 2 1st rounders and can burn one regardless. Personally feel like they'll go defense with these but they got some crap at the WR position. How about O'Neal and #18 to the Pats for #24, Marquise Hill and Eugene Wilson.

If all they're gonna get are pedestrians like Okoye, Carriker, Willis, Leon Hall and especially Paul Posluszny,

You realize that now that you've said that they're all gonna be pro bowlers. :lol:

the Bengals ought to trade down out of the 1st round so they don't have to commit a long-term contract and big money to junk like that.

Yeah, trading down looks like a good idea to me.

If all they're gonna get are pedestrians like Okoye, Carriker, Willis, Leon Hall and especially Paul Posluszny,

You realize that now that you've said that they're all gonna be pro bowlers. :lol:

the Bengals ought to trade down out of the 1st round so they don't have to commit a long-term contract and big money to junk like that.

Yeah, trading down looks like a good idea to me.

Yeah Pro Bowlers and in line to set league record for sacks, tackles, interceptions, forced fumbles etc. :wacko:

But I'd be only mildly surprised if none of those 5 are even starters for teams at the beginning of the season.

The more bodies it looks like they'll need on D, the more appealing trading down and out becomes.

The Bengals franchising of Justin Smith hasn't really percolated down through the mockosphere, and it's kind of ironic that it coincides with the DE position taking the lead away from DT. However, the overall trend is away from the d-line and towards DBs, with Revis and Landry jumping notably this update.

By Name:

DT Amobi Okoye 12 (-1)

LB Paul Posluszny 9 (+2)

CB Darrelle Revis 8 (+4)

DE Adam Carriker 8 (-1)

CB Leon Hall 6 (no change)

LB Patrick Willis 5 (no change)

S LaRon Landry 4 (+3)

DE Quentin Moses 4 (-1)

DE Jarvis Moss 3 (no change)

DT Tank Tyler 3 (-1)

LB Lawrence Timmons 3 (-1)

S Reggie Nelson 2 (+1)

DE Charles Johnson 2 (+1)

DE Anthony Spencer 2 (no change)

DT Quinn Pitcock 2 (no change)

TE Zach Miller 2 (-1)

By Position:

DE 20 (-1)

DT 18 (-3)

LB 17 (+1)

CB 16 (+4)

S 7 (+3)

TE 3 (-1)

I'm surprised Poz is still so high. Looks like things are starting to swing though.

Yeah. I think there will be a lot more updates over the next few days as people do their final "pre-combine" mock. I expect DE and Carriker to fall (although I've seen at least one mock that had us moving him to OLB and another to DT, so who knows, maybe they will take him and put him at TE :lol: ).

Pos is hanging in mostly because of the character issue, I think. But at least one guy, the blogger down at the houston chronicle that's linked under media drafts, thinks Pos will flop at the combine and if that happens hell plunge, Im sure.

Pos is hanging in mostly because of the character issue, I think.

Yep, probably. Many people, myself and the writer you mentioned included, seem to think Poz is the best candidate to plummet after the combine. I'm betting Lawrence Timmons will replace him on the big board pretty soon.

I expect DE and Carriker to fall (although I've seen at least one mock that had us moving him to OLB and another to DT, so who knows, maybe they will take him and put him at TE :lol: ).

Pos is hanging in mostly because of the character issue, I think. But at least one guy, the blogger down at the houston chronicle that's linked under media drafts, thinks Pos will flop at the combine and if that happens hell plunge, Im sure.

I have no desire to take a swipe at the guy, but Poz doesn't deserve to be ranked nearly as high as some sources have him. He's a solid prospect with above average instincts, but he plays a slightly devalued position and lacks the athletic upside that most teams look for.

Carricker could indeed slip inside and play DT in the right scheme...he's got plenty of experience inside already, but somebody is sniffin' glue if they think he could play OLB.

As for the update...I'm loving it. (Revis, Revis, Revis)

As for the update...I'm loving it. (Revis, Revis, Revis)

Then you'll love that he's picked up even more votes since. I'll wait until Weds. to do a final pre-combine update but at a glance he's either tied or one vote ahead of Okoye for the top spot right now.

I was watching NFL Live and caught Mel Kiper's mock. His mock has the Bengals taking their choice of CB's as none of the CB class is taken before Cincy's pick. (LaRon Landry is gone though.) Kipers mock gave the Bengals Hall, a solid pick but not my first choice. Most interesting was the predictable run on CB's that we see in the 2nd half of the 1st round that we see almost every year....with Revis being the 4th or 5th secondary player drafted, but only falling 9 spots after the Bengals picked.

You say you want a Revis-lution? Well, you know, we all want a decent corner. And Darrelle is the new favorite on the Big Board headed into the combine, albeit by just a single vote. Leon Hall also got a big boost, coming in third. Overall, the mockosphere seems to think it's about even money between d-line and secondary for the Bengals in the first.

Did a breakout of the second round as well, since we now have 30 mocks with second round picks. TE Zach Miller and DT Justin Harrell lead the pack there. Positionally, it's DT followed by TE.

By Name:

CB Darrelle Revis 12 (+4)

DT Amobi Okoye 11 (-1)

CB Leon Hall 9 (+3)

LB Paul Posluszny 7 (-2)

DE Adam Carriker 6 (-2)

S Reggie Nelson 4 (+2)

LB Patrick Willis 4 (-1)

S LaRon Landry 4 (no change)

DE Charles Johnson 3 (+1)

DT Tank Tyler 3 (no change)

LB Lawrence Timmons 3 (no change)

DE Quentin Moses 3 (-1)

DT Quinn Pitcock 2 (no change)

TE Zach Miller 2 (no change)

DE Jarvis Moss 2 (-1)

By Position:

CB 21 (+5)

DT 18 (no change)

DE 16 (-4)

LB 14 (-3)

S 11 (+4)

TE 3 (no change)

In the 2nd Round:

DT Justin Harrell 4

TE Zach Miller 4

S Eric Weddle 2

OG Ben Grubbs 2

DT Quinn Pitcock 2

LB David Harris 2

Round 2 By Position:

DT 8

TE 6

LB 5

OG 3

S 3

DE 2

CB 2

OT 1

Revis would be a good replacement for Tory James but he won't be playing any slot or get left on an island as much as Deltha does.

Hobson has a good spin about Revis and the other 1st-2nd round options at CB.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5894

I'm starting to lean more towards CB in the 2nd because all the top prospects are warty. And trading out of the 1st looks like it could be a rewarding option with not a whole lot lost by passing on a 1st rounder this year, especially if a team like Tampa would be willing to trade their 2 2nd rounders for the Bengals 1st in a trade chart value compatible way.

Harrell in the 2nd works for me. Not the greatest lateral movement but tough and strong inside. He played balls out with a torn bicep vs. Florida knowing his season would end after the game for surgery but it didn't keep him from slugging it out. Harrell would make Thornton more immediately expendable than if the Bengals stay in the 1st and draft Okoye IMO.

David Harris would also work in the 2nd. The difference between him and Patrick Willis isn't too great.

A 2nd round of Chris Houston, Justin Harrell and David Harris sounds better to me than any of the 1st round scenarios so far.

BTW Cat, I don't think the Bengalszone mock draft picks are normally in the updated list but if Chris Houston runs a low 4.3 it may be worth it to include before the herd follows with him at #18.

He's seems like a sleeper with some warts of his own but if Mike Mayock's right, he's about to pull a JJoe:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4625

And trading out of the 1st looks like it could be a rewarding option with not a whole lot lost by passing on a 1st rounder this year, especially if a team like Tampa would be willing to trade their 2 2nd rounders for the Bengals 1st in a trade chart value compatible way.

Yeah, I would do that deal. I agree there isn't anyone compelling likely to be there at 18, at least for the Bengals. I like the trio you pick except I'd try for Miller or Olsen over Harris.

EDIT: a couple more updates rolled in. Net/net is +1 more for Revis, -1 Okoye.