T.J.:We'll See!!!

NYBengalfan

T.J.: We'll see

By GEOFF HOBSON

September 21, 2006

Posted: 12:55 p.m.

houshmandzadeh_tj.jpg

Wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, who spent Thursday’s lunch hour putting inserts into his cleats in an effort to cushion his injured heel, thinks he’ll play Sunday in Pittsburgh. But then again, he thought he could play last week against the Browns and didn’t.

“I don’t know what they are, but I don’t like them,” said Houshmandzadeh, who hasn’t played since injuring the heel Aug. 28 in the preseason game against Green Bay, as he fiddled with his shoes.

Houshmandzadeh missed four weeks of his rookie season with an injury in the other heel, but he doesn’t think it’s all that similar.

“It has to be different,” he said. “I would have thought it would be OK by now. It will be four weeks next week.”

With Tab Perry out, Antonio Chatman probably out, and Chris Henry (groin) limping, the Bengals would more than love to have him. He scored all three of his career touchdowns against the Steelers last season, including a 43-yarder in the 38-31 win at Heinz.

Hobs updated the piece. Good news/bad news in the two new leading paragraphs:

Wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh returned to practice without shoulder pads Thursday and worked early in the session. Fellow wideout Chris Henry, who left Wednesday's workout with a groin problem, suited up in pads, so maybe the corps of receivers isn't so decimated after all.

Not out early for the second straight day was left guard Eric Steinbach (back) who was listed as probable Wednesday. Left tackle Levi Jones (ankle) also probable, worked for the first time this week.

Seems mostly good to me. Guys are getting rested for the game. T.J. and Henry being on the practice field is good news... even if Housh isn't in pads.

Steiny and Levi will both be in this game. I'm not worries at all about that. Housh is still the biggest concern in my mind. If they are letting him practice, it's probably just a pain-tolerance thing. Housh seems like a pretty tough guy, so at some point he'll just have to be willing to play through the pain. I imagine he doesn't want to miss another opportunity to shine his shoes.

Hobs updates the update:

Wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh returned to practice without shoulder pads Thursday and worked early in the session but did not particpate in 11-on-11 and remained questionable. Fellow wideout Chris Henry, who left Wednesday's workout with a groin problem, did and remained probable, so maybe the corps of receivers isn't so decimated after all.

Not out early for the second straight day was left guard Eric Steinbach (back) who was listed as probable Wednesday He didn't practice Thirsday anhd is still probable. Left tackle Levi Jones (ankle) also probable, worked for the first time this week but didn't participate in 11-on-11. Cornerback Deltha O'Neal (knee) did and is probable.

For the second straight day, linebacker Brian Simmons and defensive tackle Sam Adams (knees) didn't practice but are probable.

You know, at this point, no mas.

Line 'em up and get out there and win the game with whoever you got.

They're 2-0 and the lingering injuries should clear up by week 6 or so any ways. If they lose a game or two due to 1st stringers being banged up, so be it, it's a long season.

The Squealers had similar problems last year and hit the skids without Ben and Bettis etc.., but still made the SB. The Bengals' are capable of going as far as they want to, with whomever they have. The Bengals' can beat you in so many different ways (run, pass, turnovers, ST's, etc...,) that it really doesn't matter anymore.

Just win, ugly or not.

Dunno if TJ will start but the only key players I expect not to play are Braham and Jackson (and Tab if you want to put him in that group). Housh and Henry will play, coin flip as to who starts. Steiney will play, Levi will play. Really, my biggest concern now has become Bluto. He's in for the game of his life...and I'm not at all convinced he's up to it.