Think Jumpy will get fined?

BengalChamps

but even Bengals fans have to admit it was a bitch move.

No, actually I don't have to admit it was a bitch move. Green went into his slide to late and paid the price. All I have to admit is that I hope he's ok and think it's unfortunate, but I won't make any apologies for one of our defensive players who made a legal hit on a guy who didn't think to GET DOWN quick enough...

WHODEY !!!

Yeah, how dare he slide against the Bengals, a sign of submission and contention with the yardage earned. How dare you try to take the right way out? The Bengals won't have that. Sitting duck? Who cares, it just makes our celebration bigger when we lay you out.

Oh yeah, he paid the price all right. . the price of playing an a**h*** who went full-out on a defenseless QB.

Btw bud, it is illegal to hit a sliding QB, it's just that since he was being grazed in the back by a Chief, they have to constitute that as a block.

I know you are a Chiefs fan and you are obviously upset by what you saw, but this is an ignorant post at best. I made no mention of him not being able to slide against the Bengals or taking the "right way out" as you claim. As for your claim about our player being an assh*le and your "defensless" QB, I'll submit AGAIN that just because your QB made a poor decision to get his old ass down in a timely matter is HIS problem and HIS alone. Green should have hit the turf far earlier than he did and just because he didn't see our defensive player coming to lay wood until it was to late is NOT OUR PLAYERS FAULT. I'll ask AGAIN since everyone seems to ignore a great question... Can you run at full speed and come to a complete stop on a dime ?? Let me help you out, the answer is NO. Now imagine these guys as big and fast as they are trying to accomplish the same task. For some reason do you think this would be easier ?? Get over it, Green made a bad decision to get down in time and he is where he is... I feel bad for him, but it's his fault. Next time, tell your coaching staff to instruct their QBs to slide before they get their ass handed to them !!!

WHODEY !!!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also... you don't know his motives. He stopped celebrating when he found out Green was injured. He immediately got up when the ball was loose, because he thought it might be a fumble, and when the play was called dead, he celebrated the fact that he hit the QB so hard. He didn't stop to avoid a fine... because at that point, he had no reason to believe he would be fined.

What I find so suspect about this was that he hit a 34 year old immobile QB after he got the first down, and yet still got up and jumped around like an idiot. Do you normally see players celebrating a tackle of a running back after he just ran 8 yards for the first down?

Are you kidding me? Joey Porter jumps up & down and paws at the ground if he takes a slightly larger crap than usual. Send me your address so I can order you a mirror.

There is a healthy debate going on here, so I want to voice reason (as others have already tried).

Trent Green had turned into a running back for three or four copnsecutive plays. The defense is allowed to adjust and be more vigilant in their pursuit of him. To top it off there was no helmet to helmet contact. :bengal:

All in all I say it was a clean hit. What the league says is out of my control. If they fine him then I say they are a bunch of wussies. B)

Also... you don't know his motives. He stopped celebrating when he found out Green was injured. He immediately got up when the ball was loose, because he thought it might be a fumble, and when the play was called dead, he celebrated the fact that he hit the QB so hard. He didn't stop to avoid a fine... because at that point, he had no reason to believe he would be fined.

What I find so suspect about this was that he hit a 34 year old immobile QB after he got the first down, and yet still got up and jumped around like an idiot. Do you normally see players celebrating a tackle of a running back after he just ran 8 yards for the first down?

Yes, very often. Sure, the 8 yard gain is crap, but when it's a big hit, the defenders very rarely DON'T dance around.

In the biggest surprise of the week, PFT does not use the Geathers hit as another excuse to poop on the Bengals...

POSTED 4:03 p.m. EDT, September 11, 2006

KING CARL GETTING CROWNED IN LEAGUE CIRCLES

In response to reports that Chiefs G.M. Carl Peterson plans to demand that the league office admit that the officials erred when not flagging Bengals defensive end Robert Geathers for an illegal hit to Chiefs quarterback Trent Green, a league source connected with neither team says that Peterson would be wise to pipe down.

"Peterson must not have looked at the replay of the hit on Green," the source said. "There was no helmet to helmet hit. His concussion was caused by his head hitting the ground. It was a clean hit."

The source went on to offer some general insights as to the opinions of Peterson within NFL circles. "There are many people in the league who can't stand King Carl," the source said. "He is a big blow hard and [a] baby. He cries all the time and most of the time it is completely off base. . . . One of the things people in the league can't stand is he makes everything public just to see his name in the paper instead of doing the right thing and going to the league privately. In short, the man is full of himself and it doesn't help his team."

Ouch.

There's also criticism of the new Chiefs coaching staff, which figures only to intensify in the wake of inconsistent excuses offered up for a misguided run call on a key third-and-five play when the Chiefs were in the Bengals' red zone on the second possession of the game. Tony Gonzalez says that first-time offensive coordinator Mike Solari thought that only two yards were needed; another player said that Solari thought it was second down.

One of the realities of the proliferation of the Madden game is that casual fans will have less and less tolerance for coaches who can't master simple aspects of the game like knowing the down and the distance. The fact that Chiefs chief Herm Edwards needed in New York an assistant for the sole purpose of helping with clock management makes the overall perception even worse, since most 10-year-olds have developed via Xbox and/or PS2 an innate sense of when to call a time out, and when to let the play clock run down to :01.

It won't get any easier for Edwards, at least for the next three weeks. Per ESPN.com, Green is expected to miss a minimum of two games due to the concussion that he suffered on Sunday. (The Chiefs have a bye in Week Three.) However, both the CAT scan and MRI were negative.

That's about the only positive to come out of the Chiefs' season debut.

I don't really understand why there is so much "controversy" over this hit. All you have to do is look at the replay to see that:

A) There was NO helmet to helmet, just a shoulder to chest which with momentum became shoulder to head;

B) Green slid WAY too late and had to expect he would get hit trying to make that first down marker(which incidentally he has done in the past and taken the hit);

C) Geathers was already diving into Green when Green began his slide - the "block" from Kennison may have slightly altered his trajectory, but not too significantly IMO and there was no way he was going to avoid the hit whether or not he wanted to; and

D)when a QB scrambles, EVERY team is told to get a good hit on him if he doesn't slide to make him pay for running with the ball...this is standard and plenty of QB's have been hit while scrambling.

Yes, it is very unfortunate that in getting hit so hard, Green's head hit the ground and he got concussed, but it's his fault for getting close enough to defenders to get hit before deciding to slide. The concussion was not directly due to Geather's shoulder, it was due to his head bouncing off the turf.

And as for Geathers "celebration", what defender doesn't get up talking sh*t after making a big hit? That's all that was.

And for all the Steeler fans who insist on bringing up the past, one big difference b/w the 2 hits is that Green was scrambling and put himself in a dangerous situation whereas Carson was in the pocket and had no opportunity to avoid it himself. Now before you get your panties in a twist, I'm not saying that I think the Kimo hit was dirty...it was and is a part of this game. I do think that Kimo had more of an ability to avoid the hit, but I wouldn't expect him to because you don't just turn on and off the football instincts in these split second situations. If players second guess like that, then 9 times out of 10 they get burned.

I hope Green is able to return to full strength this yr and I do hope he is able to successfully lead the Chiefs this season. Concussions happen a lot, and I'm confident he return fine. He just needs time for his bruised brain to heal.

On Sports Center, Merril Hodge and Salisbury both just said that the hit was clean because Green slid too late and they said it would be a travesty if Geathers got fined.

Add to that list Deon Sanders, Mike Irvin, Mike Ditka, Ron Jaworski, Tom Jackson, Boomer Esiason, Dan Marino, Howie Long, and a few others.

Among those who think the hit was dirty we have Woody Paige, John Clayton, Skip Bayless, and some dips**t called CT Stiller.

The pattern is clear. The farther you get from actually playing in the NFL the greater your sense of outrage. Likewise, the less you know about the game the more sure you are of evil intentions.

BTW, when Mooch commented on the hit the very first thing he noted had to do with the QB's responsibility to slide early. He felt it was obvious that Green had attempted to gain the 1st down before sliding, and at that point Geathers was not only airborne...as the officials noted as the reason no flag was thrown...but was being blocked from the side.

Bottom Line: No fine....just more whining from CTStiller.

Add Jim Mora and Jamie Dukes from the NFLN to the list who said the hit was clean.

Did catch the Carl Peterson press conference last night and he did say the hit was late in his opinion. Didn't think he said it out of ire but he's no doubt disappointed in the turn for the worse his team has taken from last year, which will only be made even worse with the absence of Green.

Among those who think the hit was dirty we have Woody Paige, John Clayton, Skip Bayless, and some dips**t called CT Stiller.

Actually John Clayton was on Mike and Mike this morning, and said the hit wasn't dirty. He corrected himself, saying the hit was not helmet to helmet, but body to body, said he talked with Geathers, and after watching the tape believes that Geathers actually tried to avoid the hit.

I still think the hit was avoidable... but am now beginning to change my opinion on the fine idea. I still think he might be fined... but am becoming less and less convinced that it is justifiable. Tony Gonzalez said the hit was clean! When players from the Chiefs who are directly effected by the injury say the hit was clean, I think it's time to admit that there was no wrong doing.

I still think the hit was avoidable... but am now beginning to change my opinion on the fine idea. I still think he might be fined... but am becoming less and less convinced that it is justifiable. Tony Gonzalez said the hit was clean! When players from the Chiefs who are directly effected by the injury say the hit was clean, I think it's time to admit that there was no wrong doing.

Well, whether true or not, you'll never get Chiefs fans to believe that the hit was anything but a cheap shot, any more than you will ever get Bengals fans to look at Kimo von Kneecapper's take-down of Carson as anything other than a dirty play. Look at their boards and your will find the same pictures, the same YouTube videos...and the exact opposite conclusion of that here reached.

But as I was reading through one of those threads on a Denver board, a post there caused me to look at this from a different angle. It was a short post from a Clowns fan to the effct that this was "just another cheap shot from the Bengals, what else is new?"

Another cheap shot? Another? Where was the first or the second or the third?

And then it hit me what was being said.

They -- meaning fans of other teams -- think we're thugs. Punks. Dirty rotten scoundrels. Facts be damned, the Bengals are scuzzbags.

To which I can only say, HELL YEAH!

Embrace the hatred, boys and girls. Wallow in the vitriol. Get down with the bad-assed-ness of it all. Ray Lewis...Joey Porter...Robert Geathers. At least we won't have to sit around listening to any more crap about how the bengals are a "finesse team" and "soft."

I posted elsewhere that if we have a winning season this year, it'll be our first consecutive winning seasons in 25 years. That's an entire generation of fans for whom consistent success -- and for the most part, any success -- isn't within the realm of experience. And I think, in hindsight, part of our response to that was to take refuge in our team's virtue. Yeah, we sucked, but at least we weren't thugs or punks or crooks. We had honor and courage and decency, if not any wins. But boy did we have lots of moral victories, good guys fighting the good fight, even if they were always getting beat.

That was never really true, we had our share of jerks, but we could always take solace that we weren't the Ravens or the Raiders or [insert hated team of the year here].

Well, it's different now. Our virtue got popped by a devastating Robert Geathers hit. Embrace the new reality.

We're thugs.

We're punks.

We're winners.

This reminds me of the decision to throw a flag on the helmet to helmet hit on the Texas qb. When the flag was thrown Jim Tressel was livid. But at half time he said that the ref told him that they were protecting the qb. He said he understood that. Jumpy's hit was not a dirty hit deserving a fine, but like Derekshank said, this happens all the time in the NFL. The only way to stop it is if the refs are consistent with their flags.

Well, whether true or not, you'll never get Chiefs fans to believe that the hit was anything but a cheap shot, any more than you will ever get Bengals fans to look at Kimo von Kneecapper's take-down of Carson as anything other than a dirty play. Look at their boards and your will find the same pictures, the same YouTube videos...and the exact opposite conclusion of that here reached.

But as I was reading through one of those threads on a Denver board, a post there caused me to look at this from a different angle. It was a short post from a Clowns fan to the effct that this was "just another cheap shot from the Bengals, what else is new?"

And then it hit me what was being said.

They -- meaning fans of other teams -- think we're thugs. Punks. Dirty rotten scoundrels. Facts be damned, the Bengals are scuzzbags.

To which I can only say, HELL YEAH!

Embrace the hatred, boys and girls. Wallow in the vitriol. Get down with the bad-assed-ness of it all. Ray Lewis...Joey Porter...Robert Geathers. At least we won't have to sit around listening to any more crap about how the bengals are a "finesse team" and "soft."

I posted elsewhere that if we have a winning season this year, it'll be our first consecutive winning seasons in 25 years. That's an entire generation of fans for whom consistent success -- and for the most part, any success -- isn't within the realm of experience. And I think, in hindsight, part of our response to that was to take refuge in our team's virtue. Yeah, we sucked, but at least we weren't thugs or punks or crooks. We had honor and courage and decency, if not any wins. But boy did we have lots of moral victories, good guys fighting the good fight, even if they were always getting beat.

That was never really true, we had our share of jerks, but we could always take solace that we weren't the Ravens or the Raiders or [insert hated team of the year here].

Well, it's different now. Our virtue got popped by a devastating Robert Geathers hit. Embrace the new reality.

We're thugs.

We're punks.

We're winners.

Had a similar thought while reading some of the posts ... here and elsewhere.

I never like to see any player get hurt and I'm glad that Green is going to be OK. Having said that ... If a qb was going to get taken out of this game ..... I'm just as glad that it wasn't Palmer.

Geathers was pushed from behind ... whether or not it was enough to make a difference ???????? who knows? He didn't hit with his helmet .... he could have easily. Could he have avoided the hit entirely ???? looked to me like he could have , but again who knows?

The fact that we'll at least discuss the posibility that one of our guys took advantage of a situation puts us light years ahead of .... lets just say " other fans ".

Bengals dirty players ??????? No need to worry about that one as long as we've got the stealers and the Raiders around to compare us to. :cheers:

The only thing I can think of was Odell being tripped into Roethlisberger's knee... because "any time you go low on a QB, you know it's a little dirty."

Yeah, like someone else mentioned...the most convincing thing to me was hearing Tony Gonzales say the hit was clean. If a Chief is saying it, then you know it's most likely true.

Yeah, but what about the things CTStiller is saying? :lmao:

No, no no! You bloody morons just don't get it, do you? Geathers' hit was a cheap shot. Not just that but it was a planned hit -- by that uber-Bengals-thug, Marvin "kitten-strangler" Lewis -- executed by a player with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Geathers ought to be dragged to Gitmo and waterboarded!

The Bengals are scum. To a man they are savage cannibals who have to be chained up between games lest they lay revenous waste to local day care centers. No self-respecting city or owner would allow them to play, but of course Cincy is little more than a wretched hive of scum and villany and we all know Mike Brown is a vampire.

They're thugs, I tell you! Thugs! Get it straight! :lmao:

Yeah, like someone else mentioned...the most convincing thing to me was hearing Tony Gonzales say the hit was clean. If a Chief is saying it, then you know it's most likely true.

Yeah, but what about the things CTStiller is saying? :lmao:

No, no no! You bloody morons just don't get it, do you? Geathers' hit was a cheap shot. Not just that but it was a planned hit -- by that uber-Bengals-thug, Marvin "kitten-strangler" Lewis -- executed by a player with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Geathers ought to be dragged to Gitmo and waterboarded!

The Bengals are scum. To a man they are savage cannibals who have to be chained up between games lest they lay revenous waste to local day care centers. No self-respecting city or owner would allow them to play, but of course Cincy is little more than a wretched hive of scum and villany and we all know Mike Brown is a vampire.

They're thugs, I tell you! Thugs! Get it straight! :lmao:

Yeah... the camera didn't catch it... but Green started to slide because he saw Chris Henry pointing a gun in his direction.

CT Stiller is exiled to the Smack Forum... Troll status...

As for a "Thug" identity for the defense ?? I say embrace it !!! A mean, angry, hungry, head hunting defense is about an attitude and if that was identified in the game against the Chiefs and brings about a FURY the likes of which have never been seen in a Bengals defense, than I say:

HELL YEAH !!!

WHODEY !!!

Yeah... the camera didn't catch it... but Green started to slide because he saw Chris Henry pointing a gun in his direction.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Late reports also indicate that, while he was banned from the field, Odell Thurman was sighted in the stands peddling crystal meth to schoolchildren...

I can see it now. This thread of quotes will soon be plastered all over Urine Land for digestion. They will soon become convinced that even Bengal fans have come to the conclusion that this team is achieving success at a high price. Too funny ... but it will come.

I will join each of you in saying that I will gladly embrace this new physical status. As I heard Ditka say yesterday, "This team is on a mission." You bet.

As for a "Thug" identity for the defense ?? I say embrace it !!! A mean, angry, hungry, head hunting defense is about an attitude and if that was identified in the game against the Chiefs and brings about a FURY the likes of which have never been seen in a Bengals defense, than I say:

HELL YEAH !!!

I don't mind the thug thing. Most top defenses have to build an identity and reputation before recognition comes, and if you can do it without your best player stabbing a couple of guys in a nightclub parking lot then so much the better. Besides, the Bengal defense isn't defined by Geather's hit on Green. They've been producing forced fumbles, interceptions, and turnovers for several seasons. Imagine what they can accomplish if they finally manage basic tasks like stopping the run and good tackling.

;)

That said, I think I'll embrace the way this defense has been built piece by piece. They're starting to look pretty good in all phases of the game, and because of the changes made during the offseason it doesn't come as much of a surprise. They're good.

Now, when can I get a shutout?