Thee Most Boring, Unsightful Interview Ever

ShulaSteakhouse

Marvin Lewis Interview by Geoff Hobson @ Bengals.com

Nothing tops this one for cliches and boredom, I had to quit reading most of the way through it to keep my eyes open.

Thanks Hobson for another wonderful piece. And Marvin for being such a delightful and interesting person. <sic>

Thanks for wasting 5 minutes of my precious lunch break with this utterly pointless and stupid interview.

Not very surprising that Marvin isn't more open with the media. After all, if you had to pick one thing that defined this offseason what would it be?

If your answer was anything but the media overreaction to the legal troubles of a few players then you haven't been paying attention.

Now factor in the way John Madden left Lewis twisting in the wind on national television in regards to Palmer's return.

If I'm Marvin I speak to the media only when it's required, and if possible I feed them nothing of substance. After all, these are the same pinheads who repeatedly speculated that Marvin was losing control of his team.

Not very surprising that Marvin isn't more open with the media. After all, if you had to pick one thing that defined this offseason what would it be?

If your answer was anything but the media overreaction to the legal troubles of a few players then you haven't been paying attention.

Now factor in the way John Madden left Lewis twisting in the wind on national television in regards to Palmer's return.

If I'm Marvin I speak to the media only when it's required, and if possible I feed them nothing of substance. After all, these are the same pinheads who repeatedly speculated that Marvin was losing control of his team.

Overreaction, huh? So you have a work force of 53 people. Out of them, there are a minimum of 3 positive drug tests and 8 arrests in the last year. You call that normal?

I work with about that many people and the totals are 0 and 0, respectively.

This is directed at ANYONE specifically...

If you are a Bengals fan and have not figured out a Marvin Lewis interview is going to be boring, with little to no information given, you need to get your seat on the bandwagon warmed up first and realize this is how Marvin does business !!!

When Hobson asked, "Can you tell me" and Marvin said, "No", I thought was funny as hell !!!

WHODEY !!!

If you are a Bengals fan and have not figured out a Marvin Lewis interview is going to be boring, with little to no information given, you need to get your seat on the bandwagon warmed up first and realize this is how Marvin does business !!!

When Hobson asked, "Can you tell me" and Marvin said, "No", I thought was funny as hell !!!

WHODEY !!!

Yup. Don't blame him - this is the NFL, not baseball or basketball. Information about your opponent's personnel help you game plan. So in that respect, the media is definitely not your friend.

I wouldn't call it an overreaction. Dude's right, this stuff happens in our work force and you don't get to keep your job, you don't even get the whole "let's let the legal process sort this out first"

But I can easily see why marvin is tight lipped. Marvin's job is to win and this doesn't have anything to do with that. However, it's a sportswriters job to cover sports, and marvin doesn't make it easy on these guys.

Marvin doesn't make it easy on these guys.

I'm not sure that he should make it easy on them. I know it's their job to ask, but that doesn't obligate him to answer. I know when I tell someone I'm not discussing something and then they come back and ask again, I get pissed. While I know I'm not an NFL coach, I understand the irritation with the media doing this...

WHODEY !!!

WHODEY !!!

Yup. Don't blame him - this is the NFL, not baseball or basketball. Information about your opponent's personnel help you game plan. So in that respect, the media is definitely not your friend.

Bingo!

:cheers:

I wouldn't call it an overreaction. Dude's right, this stuff happens in our work force and you don't get to keep your job, you don't even get the whole "let's let the legal process sort this out first"

But I can easily see why marvin is tight lipped. Marvin's job is to win and this doesn't have anything to do with that.

It was an overreation, and that fact will remain no matter how many times fans like DC have a fit of hiss. Remember that it is the same media that claimed that Marvin had completely lost control of his team, speculated that the selection of Ahmad Brooks was made without his consent, and repeatedly demanded he say more and more about the subject even when they were busy twisting every remark he bothered to make.

As for what happens in the "real work force"....well, I'm betting you don't make millions of dollars a year or happen to be represented by one of the most powerful unions known to man. That said, the only time I faced a comparable situation the company I worked for let the legal process play out, and then stood behind me after I was found quilty of drunk driving. I can only guess why they did so, but if pressed I'd say they did because I was damn good at my job, they liked me, and they realized that my then 22-year old ass wasn't above making a mistake or two.

Finally, you're dead right when you make the point that dealing with the media doesn't play a large role in Marvin's job description, and if he wants to distance himself from the talking heads, well....he wouldn't be the first coach to do so.

Of course, with most positions in the work force, if you f**k up then the employer can fairly easily replace you without a big drop off in production. If you're Marvin or Mike, try replacing Chris Henry as a impact number 3 receiver. Oh yea, you won't be able to. I guess that's why these guys get PAID, because there aren't many people in the world that can attempt to do what they do. I understand these guys can be complete dumbasses sometimes and it sucks for us that they get so many chances, but I really get annoyed when people try to compare their job with an NFL player's. (not talking about you particularly bengalboomer, there's others who go off the wall trying to make this point)

It's my opinion, and others, that Marvin talks down to the public/fans as if we're a bunch of idiots who don't understand football - no one's asking him to give out beneficial information for the opponent - but to just be open/honest about things in general and think of something to say that isn't some cliche, mindless goo an athlete typically spits out.

I appreciate the fact he keeps team drama in the locker room - I'm talking about X's and O's and his team and the players in general.

I want to know what the hell is wrong with Deltha for instance and why we haven't seen him all preseason and he's out this week too.

I want to know what he thinks of certain players for either team and how, big picture, things will be different this year etc.., etc.., Just typicaly stuff - not insider information - just anything really other than "No, next question" - Christ he sounds like Steinbrenner!! (TO's agent)

Of course, with most positions in the work force, if you f**k up then the employer can fairly easily replace you without a big drop off in production. If you're Marvin or Mike, try replacing Chris Henry as a impact number 3 receiver. Oh yea, you won't be able to. I guess that's why these guys get PAID, because there aren't many people in the world that can attempt to do what they do. I understand these guys can be complete dumbasses sometimes and it sucks for us that they get so many chances, but I really get annoyed when people try to compare their job with an NFL player's. (not talking about you particularly bengalboomer, there's others who go off the wall trying to make this point)

So, just because a guy can run the 40 yard dash WAAAy faster than me he's entitled to more job security? I don't like that. Using your example of Chris Henry, he's just a #3 reciever, easily replacable. Now, Carson Palmer, that's a different story

I'd say the media's general take on the Bengals offseason legal issues wasn't just an overreaction, it was a friggin' circus. Sure, it isn't normal to have all of those incidents occur in such a small time-frame, but that's not what the media focused on. They looked at the arrests from a Bengals standpoint, and came out with all sorts of rediculous claims that they seemingly pulled right out of their butts.

MARVIN IS LOSING THE TEAM!!!!

MIKE BROWN IS MAKING THESE DECISIONS!!!!

THE END IS NEAR, REPENT BENGALS SINNERS!!!!!

Et cetera, et cetera...

If that's how they get ratings to go up, then whatever, but I can understand Marvin's frustration.

Overreaction, huh? So you have a work force of 53 people. Out of them, there are a minimum of 3 positive drug tests and 8 arrests in the last year. You call that normal?

I work with about that many people and the totals are 0 and 0, respectively.

Ya I bet everyone you work with has ever smoked pot "rolls eyes"

So, just because a guy can run the 40 yard dash WAAAy faster than me he's entitled to more job security? I don't like that. Using your example of Chris Henry, he's just a #3 reciever, easily replacable. Now, Carson Palmer, that's a different story

He's replaceable but theirs still a good drop off in production without him,It's like saying kenny watson is just as good as perry at receiving

[Kirkendall steps onto soap-box, taps the microphone, and begins.]

Interviews with athletes, coaches, movie stars, and NASCAR drivers repeat the same dribble time after time after time. Why? Because they are guarded more then ever. The media asks, "why don't you talk more." Think of the newspaper interviews with players and managers back in the 20s, 30s (if you're read them) compared to today. It's different.

Back then, writers promoted the players but also helped protect them. Today, they just try to fill their edgy and gossip rants. (see pointless story regarding Jim Tressel)

To answer the media's question, "it's because you demonize people on trivial quotes and make much ado about nothing."

Everyone wants to be deep-throat these days. To which I say, he you already have… because you suck!

Thank you, G'night.

richard-nixon-scarface.jpg

[Kirkendall steps off soap-box]

Disclaimer: this post in no way suggests anything regarding the Bengals writers, players, coaches, or organization. It’s the generalization on players continuously attacked forced to protect what they say to prevent major stories of character defamation.

WHODEY !!!

exactly..you just had to know that Marvin wasn't going to tell what it was. Hobson looks like an idiot for even asking. I laughed my ass off too when Marvin said No. I imagined Marvin with that sheepish grin of his and that twinkle in his eye.