Bengals Vs Colts thread

Kazkal

Why don't the Bengals just go ahead and run a free play when someone jumps offsides instead of kneeling the ball down? Both Palmer and Wright have done it tonight. Whatever happens you're going to at least get the penalty yards, might as well try for more with no consequences.

Looks like will be able to pup some of our young talent that way we don't have to risk trying to put them on the practice squad...Dede,brazell are both sitting out tonight so pup em rather then release them.hobson also said looks like fanene,kieft and acourse perry will be put on the pup list

Why don't the Bengals just go ahead and run a free play when someone jumps offsides instead of kneeling the ball down? Both Palmer and Wright have done it tonight. Whatever happens you're going to at least get the penalty yards, might as well try for more with no consequences.

Depends on the circumstances, I guess. If the QB thinks they're about to get pounded, they may rather take the knee than risk getting hurt. Especially in the preseason.

Of course I can't watch the game tonight, so I have no idea what the circumstances were.

I suspect it's just because it's the last, and most meaningless, preseason game. In the regtular season, yeah, take the shot, but now all you do is risk someone getting hurt (either by hanging in the pocket against a rush thhat came early or diving for some long bomb). Fuggiit. Kneel, take the 5 yards, hand off to Q. Qilson. lather, rinse, repeat.

Maybe they don't want to tip off their "free plays" in the pre-season. :)

I know Palmer did it a lot last season too. Guess injury is a factor, but the times I've seen it that I remember the defensive player is moving backward to try and get back behind the line.

I don't think it has anything to do with risking injury. It's simply about taking the free yards. When Palmer sees someone offsides, and knows they can't get back, he changes his cadence, and snaps the ball quickly to get the free 5 yards. If he ran the play as called, everyone would be caught by surprise because he changes when he usually snaps the ball. Since this offense is based on timing, snapping the ball early would rarely result in a succesful play... so just knee it and take the free yards.

He's actually the best QB I've ever seen do this in my life. I've never witnessed anyone do it as regularly and perfectly as Palmer does. I'll take the free yardage every time.

Looks like will be able to pup some of our young talent that way we don't have to risk trying to put them on the practice squad...Dede,brazell are both sitting out tonight so pup em rather then release them.hobson also said looks like fanene,kieft and acourse perry will be put on the pup list

The only players that can be placed on the PUP list are ones who did not practice or play in the preseason (Fanene, Perry, Kieft). They will be ineligible to participate in team drills until Week 6.

Players like Dede and Brazell will have to make either the 53-man roster or the practice squad.

The only players that can be placed on the PUP list are ones who did not practice or play in the preseason (Fanene, Perry, Kieft). They will be ineligible to participate in team drills until Week 6.

Players like Dede and Brazell will have to make either the 53-man roster or the practice squad.

Let's make sure we're clear, there are two injured lists one for 6 weeks and one for the year. I don't believe either of them has the kind of practice limitation looking back you're describing, only going forward.

Why is it everyone is making a fuss about what they did bad tonight.. We won.. 4-0 in preseason.. Been a long damn time since that has happen.. Be happy.. Knowing are team is doing great in preseason i wonder what they up have the shelve for the reg season.. It's going to be a awesome year.. THINK POSTIVE!! And not only that.. But look how many INTERCEPTIONS they had so far... Awesome Awesome Awesome

I know Palmer did it a lot last season too. Guess injury is a factor, but the times I've seen it that I remember the defensive player is moving backward to try and get back behind the line.

I don't think it has anything to do with risking injury. It's simply about taking the free yards. When Palmer sees someone offsides, and knows they can't get back, he changes his cadence, and snaps the ball quickly to get the free 5 yards. If he ran the play as called, everyone would be caught by surprise because he changes when he usually snaps the ball. Since this offense is based on timing, snapping the ball early would rarely result in a succesful play... so just knee it and take the free yards.

He's actually the best QB I've ever seen do this in my life. I've never witnessed anyone do it as regularly and perfectly as Palmer does. I'll take the free yardage every time.

I look at it differently. When Palmer receives the ball, no one else moves. If the linemen followed suit and WRs took off, I think we'd be able to get a free play in. But without all that, Palmer HAS to go down because he'd get creamed if he didn't.

BTW, the Bengals were 4-0 when losing the coin toss. :D

I think the deal on that play is that only the center knows when the ball will be snapped. Palmer is just saying stuff and if someone jumps, the center snaps the ball.

Since the idea is to give no excuse for an offensive penalty, the offensive players will NEVER go. Thus no free play is possible. I guess if the defense doesnt bite the QB calls time, or audibles, or takes a delay of game.