Askew Sues City of Cincinnati for $50 million

ShulaSteakhouse

Story

He claims police used excessive force in July when they shocked him with a stun gun during a confrontation with officers over a parking matter.

In his lawsuit, Askew asks that the department's policy on the use of force be declared unconstitutional.

The suit also claims he was falsely arrested and prosecuted maliciously.

Mathias wants to get that NFL contract $ back!

He may be all those things, kirk, but he also has a decent case on behalf of Askew...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say i don't think he does. Askew's listed as 6-5, 308 lbs. Just his sheer size and presence, while uncooperative, is enough to legally justify the police using a taser to get him to cooperate. Considering the cops had batons and guns on their hips, I wouldn't call the use of a taser "excessive" in this case. I just think he's pissed off that he hasn't been claimed off waivers. He and Akilli Smith can commiserate together and think that Cincinnati is the reason they aren't All-Pros at their positions, completely ignoring the fact that they aren't good enough to play professional football.

He may be all those things, kirk, but he also has a decent case on behalf of Askew...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say i don't think he does. Askew's listed as 6-5, 308 lbs. Just his sheer size and presence, while uncooperative, is enough to legally justify the police using a taser to get him to cooperate. Considering the cops had batons and guns on their hips, I wouldn't call the use of a taser "excessive" in this case. I just think he's pissed off that he hasn't been claimed off waivers. He and Akilli Smith can commiserate together and think that Cincinnati is the reason they aren't All-Pros at their positions, completely ignoring the fact that they aren't good enough to play professional football.

For me, the situation doesn't have a protect and serve feel to it.

I'm no plaintiff's lawyer ( I do civil defense work), but I would not be thrilled to be defending the city on that one. Testimony will add shades of nuance to it, sure, but on the surface? If that ever hits a jury, the plaintiff has one leg up just on what boomer just said, it smells off from the start...

Showing the cops didn't follow correct procedures is one thing. Collecting big bucks is another. Askew got tased, I think he was also pepper sprayed and he spent a night in jail. That sound like about $10,000 worth of police misconduct not 50 mil.

Showing the cops didn't follow correct procedures is one thing. Collecting big bucks is another. Askew got tased, I think he was also pepper sprayed and he spent a night in jail. That sound like about $10,000 worth of police misconduct not 50 mil.

I think that number is more for show, to get headlines. But I think Askew can win a jury trial, but with less compensation. They could probably try to tie some of it blaming this for him being cut, and trying to put it with lost wages. Longshot, and I'm no lawyer, and I'm also just guessing s**t. :D

Just reminds me of the big whacked-out dude they took down at the White Castle a couple years ago!

:pokey:

Yeah, a giant cracked out junkie guy on drugs that on video was clearly swinging at cops reminds you of this situation. That right there is a hint of how things are in Cinci.

Be careful to not compare all large black men to that situation.

This isn't Askew -- it's his dirt bag race-inciting lawyer, Ken Lawson. Lawson hates cops and Cincinnati council. He's an ass-clown.

To heck with tasering overrated, has-been, never was defensive linemen - let's go straight to taasering the lawyers! :sure:

On an episode of Family Guy, the Devil was working through some legal papers because he wanted Peter's soul. Then he asked if there were any lawyers. Everyone in hell rose their hand. Everyone.