Waiver Wire Additions???

rwalling

From Mark Curnutte @ the Cincinnati Enquirer

"Expect the Bengals to sign a player or two released by other teams Saturday and make further roster moves Sunday."

I'm not sure exactly where the Bengals will be looking for an improvement over the last player they keep at a position from the waiver wire. Probably safety (again). Tight End if they keep 3? Corner due to injuries?

Pretty clear that at most of the positions (QB, RB, OL, WR, DL, LB) the final cuts are going to be tough enough already.

Where do you think the Bengals will look for waiver wire adds?

If I were the Bengals, I'd be looking for safety depth... but that is really it. Although, safety is one of the thinest positions in the entire NFL right now. I haven't heard many teams at all that are happy with their safety depth... so we're not alone, and there probably won't be much out there.

A lot of people want a pass-catching TE, but Reggie Kelly gets the job done at TE, and we're not going to get someone off of waivers better than him.

Reggie Kelly gets the job done at TE, and we're not going to get someone off of waivers better than him.
Yep, you don't generally get a starter off waivers - you generally get your backups.

So rather than considering whether RK needs to be replaced by a waiver pickup, you might want to consider if any of the **backup** TE's could be upgraded -or- replaced with an equal but lower cost player

Reggie Kelly gets the job done at TE, and we're not going to get someone off of waivers better than him.

Yep, you don't generally get a starter off waivers - you generally get your backups.

So rather than considering whether RK needs to be replaced by a waiver pickup, you might want to consider if any of the **backup** TE's could be upgraded -or- replaced with an equal but lower cost player

Yeah... I don't know much about Ghent. I don't know if we'll be able to get better than him or not. The only thing I really don't want is to carry 3 TE's again. It's probably way too late to get anything done by now... but what is NE going to do with all of their TE's? Will one of them be a salary cap casualty? I doubt it... but I'd take it.

If I were the Bengals, I'd be looking for safety depth... but that is really it.

Yeah, I haven't seen anyone who jumps out at me. S is definitely possible with the Mitchell boo-boo. But really if they didn't sign anyone I would not be surprised.

He diden't do much besides special teams anyways so body or kilmer will probbley replace him anyways to keep youngins

Possibly - TE, RB, DE, QB, S

Edit: Please note that when I say TE, I mean TE, not "pass catching TE" or "blocking TE".

RB? eh?

I'd like to see the following considered:

1. Justin Phinisee DB/PR: Chat may solve the PR prob but will he stay healthy. Phinisee is pretty aggressive out of the secondary and can cover in the slot vs. TEs plus has enough range and size to chore FS if ever needed.

2. Tim Day TE: Not any more likely to stick with Bengals than Bears since both teams don't want more out of their TEs than blockers, backup FBs and teamers but Day can catch and run better than any Bengals TE.

3. Steve Fifita DT: The guy is built like a barrell and doesn't quit. The Bengals look good at DT and barring injury there's no need for another except on PS.

4. Nick Reid LB: Reid looked quick on teams for the Chiefs and at Kansas State showed versatility in coverage. He'd be a MLB/WSLB who could deliver on teams.

But the Bengals look like they're in much better shape than previous years and I really don't think any wire additions would stick on the final roster. It's nice to have depth. :D

Gotta figure the 6th CB spot goes to Patrick Body if they keep "6" corners. Body is solid on special teams, played safety and corner at Toledo and Cincy.

Not exactly sure who's going to be available. We DON'T have 3 tight ends I know that much. How about Instead of us signing a Tight end off the waiver wire, we just use St. Louis ??

I mean isn't he a tight end..??? He's already a solid special teamer, and our long snapper, seems to me if you carry 4 tight ends because one guy is just a long snapper, might be time to get this guy in front of that machine that throws footballs out ! :sure:

Hey, wait! I think that Oh-I-can't-Hit-a-Lady is still on the wire and available for safety depth!

:P

:angry:

:lmao:

Yes... he is, but all jokes aside, aren't there a few guys who are still out there? For example:

Lance Schulters

Ronnie Heard

Keion Carpenter

I haven't heard about any of these guys being signed yet... and I'm not sure why. Any ideas? I don't forsee us picking any of these guys up... but if the price is right, I wouldn't mind signing one of them for some immediate depth.