Odell Article on ESPN

Section 310

Below is the link to the ESPN article in which Odell describes the troubles he has faced over the last several months. He refers to Marvin Lewis as a father figure and seems to be genuine about not letting Lewis down. He says rumors of crack, meth, etc., are untrue. Lets hope he can keep it together. Thurman, in my opinion is a crossroads. He could be one of the Bengals all-time great linebackers and an important part of a Championship team, or he could be a Tremain Mack...good player, lots of talent, but unable to avoid the pitfalls associated with alcohol, drugs, etc.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=fleming/060830

Great read. It really gives you insight to where he came from, and where his mindset is at present. I'm glad to see that he can acknowledge that he is at fault here, and is not just feeling like he is a victim(as many concrete thinking self-absorbed athletes can react). It sounds like he is taking the steps he needs to to get back on the field, and hopefully this was his last transgression. Very encouraging, I think. Looking forward to him making plays. WHODEY!

It takes two strikes to get a 4 game suspension

Odell talks about missing one test.

What was the other strike, Odell?

Yeah... it doesn't really add up. My guess is he failed one, and forgot the next.

At least he seems to understand it's a big deal. He's not doing the whole Ricky Williams thing, acting like it's not a big deal. He understands that if he screws up again, he's done. If Marvin really trusts him... I can forgive him. Time will tell. I'm still not sure we'll see much from him, even after his suspension is over.

He's good... but probably a bit over-rated because of the INT's. He's still got a long way to go to be dominant. I think we'll see the defense play better this year with Simmons in the middle... but in the future Thurman and Brooks should be monsters in the middle for a long time.

I was looking to post this article myself, but 310 beat me to the punch. It answered a lot of questions for me. I think we can assume OT missed the second test on purpose because he knew it would be positive. He would've been far more adamant about the details of missing it otherwise it seems to me. Be that as it may, he is SAYING the right things now. Two things disturbed me a little. First, he's sitting there with a cheek full of tobacco. Not exactly what somebody who's concerned with the best for his body. It's like an AA meeting -- everybody in the place is smoking -- transferring one addiction to another. IMO he may not quite be where his mind needs to be. He has to clean out his system completely or I would be real concerned about another lapse. Second thing was that he said, in effect "this happened to me before at GA." Well, that's true, so why didn't you learn this lesson already. You can only tell so much from an article, and granted I'll never know him personally, but I'm concerned that he will slip up and get another dirty test. I've known too many guys who think they can outsmart the system and I'm picking that up from him. The difference is that there aren't that many places to hide from weekly testing NFL style. I really hope I'm wrong and I hear him saying what you would want to hear ..... but .....

It's very good to hear him be a man & take responsibility for his actions also to hear how much of an influence Marvin is to him.

What I understood was his first mistake was getting into the program to begin with then not taking it seriously & missing tests + counseling appointments was they reason for the suspension. I would assume he had to fail a drug test to get into the program for me the details of that don't matter what matters is it looks like he understands he screwed up & hopefully turns things around.

Sorry Derek, but I got to disagree about Odell being a bit over rated the dude was a ROOKIE & had 46 more tackles than the second leading tackler on the team + 5 picks that's unbelievable. The D will be fine with Simmons in there & he may make less mistakes than Odell did last year but I'm not sure we'll be that much better with Simmons in there. I think Adams ,a healthy Madieu, Jackson, B-rob @ the end position will have a bigger impact on the D being better this year.

I dunno, I guess I just don't get it ..where did all the love go for Odell? No doubt he screwed up but last year I remember many on here was pimping him for DOY now Simmons is better, Brooks, who hasn't proved anything yet, is better or going to be & people seem to forget what an impact Odell was last year !

Sorry for the rant I'll get off my soapbox now :D

He could just be talking about the last missed test sense thats what drew the 4 game suspension .

Sorry Derek, but I got to disagree about Odell being a bit over rated the dude was a ROOKIE & had 46 more tackles than the second leading tackler on the team + 5 picks that's unbelievable

Aye he was a rookie sure he made mistakes but he also made a ton of huge plays.

He really sounds like a troubled guy, and that is one of the best Bengal player interviews I've ever, ever read. He was very forthcoming.

And it's sad that a national media outlet has to publish such an interview while our local media hacks continue to print fluff and basically not even cover the Bengals - it's truly sad around this city with the media - they all suck more than ever these days. Curnutte, Ludwig, Hobson - lazy, effortless hacks. (nothing personal they just do a half-a$$ job)

He really sounds like a troubled guy, and that is one of the best Bengal player interviews I've ever, ever read. He was very forthcoming.

And it's sad that a national media outlet has to publish such an interview while our local media hacks continue to print fluff and basically not even cover the Bengals - it's truly sad around this city with the media - they all suck more than ever these days. Curnutte, Ludwig, Hobson - lazy, effortless hacks. (nothing personal they just do a half-a$$ job)

I agree. I think some people are being a bit hard on him.

He's just a kid, and this article really brings that to light. Sure, he's not where he needs to be yet. It's obvious that he still has a lot of growing up left to do.

But, I think it's clear that any shortcoming on his end is due to a simple matter of maturity. The guy is a young and troubled person, and he's still got a lot of lessons ahead of him. I can rest easier, though, knowing that he's at least got his head looking in the right direction. I'm certainly glad he's around a coach like Marvin that seems willing to go the extra mile to help him get things back on track.

Actually, I believe it takes 3 strikes for a 4-game. So, to amplify your point, what were the other *2* violations for? And if you knew you were in the substance abuse program, why'd you skip a test when you knew you'd get suspended? What were you doing that day that was so important? Or did you know you'd fail anyway?

Of course, it could be a 1st positive test for something performance enhancing.

No matter what, blowing three tests in one year is a damned bad sign.

Sorry Derek, but I got to disagree about Odell being a bit over rated the dude was a ROOKIE & had 46 more tackles than the second leading tackler on the team + 5 picks that's unbelievable

Meh... he played MLB in the 4-3. It is the easiest defensive position to compile stats with in the history of the NFL. Landon Johnson led the team in tackles the year before, and didn't even start the entire year. It's a very deceiving stat.

He's a very good player... plays with a lot of energy and confidence, so that bodes well for him to be very good eventually, but I don't think he's there yet. He makes a lot of mistakes, and being the leading tackler doesn't make up for all the big plays that were given up because he was in the wrong place. Maybe he'll be better now that he has a year under his belt, and 4 games to do nothing but study the system... but I'm not going to say he's the second coming of LT, or even Ray Lewis yet.

I dunno, I guess I just don't get it ..where did all the love go for Odell? No doubt he screwed up but last year I remember many on here was pimping him for DOY now Simmons is better, Brooks, who hasn't proved anything yet, is better or going to be & people seem to forget what an impact Odell was last year !

Sorry for the rant I'll get off my soapbox now :D

OT was a helluva player. I would love him to be back. I can only call it like I see it, though, and I'm concerned about a few things he said. No question that he's had a tough road -- it's hard for me to relate I admit. The one thing Brooks has on him right now is no NFL drug violations. In 6 months or a year that might no longer be the case. It's a really tough call right now.

I hate to say it, but Odell sounds like an addict. They are very good at crafting an emotional and seemingly heartfelt story about their life and about their conviction to overcome their problem. They are great actors. You want to believe them. You'd love to believe them. And so you do. Then the cycle begins again, and they end up right where they started. Eventually isolated. Eventually dead.

Odell referenced suicide twice in his statement. This is a give away that he is trying to manipulate you. But it is just a lie.

Sorry, but Odell's chances for recovery are grim, and he hasn't even really started his journey.

I hate to say it, but Odell sounds like an addict. They are very good at crafting an emotional and seemingly heartfelt story about their life and about their conviction to overcome their problem. They are great actors. You want to believe them. You'd love to believe them. And so you do. Then the cycle begins again, and they end up right where they started. Eventually isolated. Eventually dead.

Odell referenced suicide twice in his statement. This is a give away that he is trying to manipulate you. But it is just a lie.

Sorry, but Odell's chances for recovery are grim, and he hasn't even really started his journey.

That's assuming an awful lot based on a few statements - I didn't take it as him making emotional pleas or excuses - gotta be tough for your parents to die young like that for anybody, that's just part of his story and it was during his college days.

I took it as he is young and dumb, partying too much in the off-season - not unusual for a college aged person.

I'm thinking he's smoking pot, not exactly a life threatening addiction for most people if they have to get off of it. A lot of pro athletes smoke it, and hell, not sure I blame them (painkiller).

Any ways, the only thing that concerns me, is that he seems to think he has to be perfect to survive - and seems concerned about passing tests in the future for some reason.

You can just tell he's anguished about his mistakes/poor choices and is living with the penalties at this very moment in time - so that's going to show.

He made it through all of last year without a major problem - he'll mature and grow up - you can tell he loves football and wants to be great - he may be ok - I hope so.

Odell overran so many plays, and lost contain so many times. He is a good player, but was not great. You must show skill and maturity to be great on the field. He has skill, but is not a mature player. He needs to make better reads.

I agree wholeheartedly, he got burned/caught out of position I don't know how many times last year. I remember seeing film breaking down his mistakes by the NFL 2Night crew - critical ones.

No one talks about that - just his inflated #'s and acrobatic INT's - the defense stunk last year - he was a big part of that regardless. That said, as Marvin says, he has all the potential in the world and will help this team tremendously at some point most likely.

Maybe this wake up call will work, maybe it won't.

I like how marvin is calling him to make sure everything is going ok with him

My sister use have a drug problem and had talked about suicide a few problems but she also admitted she had a problem and cleaned her selfup with no one elses help and hasen't done any sort of drug in 3 years and has 2 beautiful girls :P people change

Actually, I believe it takes 3 strikes for a 4-game....

No, it's just 2. Read today's Enquirer article and it mentions that if Henry loses his DUI case he'll get a 4 game suspension for violating the controlled substance policy two times --- once for the pot case and once for the DUI case.

Three strikes is a year-long suspension ala Ricky Williams.

Meh... he played MLB in the 4-3. It is the easiest defensive position to compile stats with in the history of the NFL. Landon Johnson led the team in tackles the year before, and didn't even start the entire year. It's a very deceiving stat.

He's a very good player... plays with a lot of energy and confidence, so that bodes well for him to be very good eventually, but I don't think he's there yet. He makes a lot of mistakes, and being the leading tackler doesn't make up for all the big plays that were given up because he was in the wrong place. Maybe he'll be better now that he has a year under his belt, and 4 games to do nothing but study the system... but I'm not going to say he's the second coming of LT, or even Ray Lewis yet.

Good point the MLB will have alot of tackles when all is said & done but I bet he made more big plays than he gave up. Of course he made mistakes, he was a rookie thrown into the fire from the get go. If I told you right now Brooks will have 148 tackles, 5 ints. , 4 forced fumbles you would'nt take it & say that is a great year for a rook? I'm not saying he's the greatest ever just that he deserved the praise he has gotten & don't feel he's overrated at all he's a play maker w/ a ton of potential.

Last year, as I said before, people was saying he should be considered for DOY now he screwed up some act like we don't need him & won't miss him. Maybe it because we haven't seen him this preseason & forgot what he brings to the team ? It seems some ( myself included) changed their opinions about what to do with Henry once he got back on the field & making plays.

If he's getting tested several times a week he has no choice but to clean up if not he'll be right up there with Ricky Willliams & Clarrett. Sounds like he is on the right path now & hopefully stays the course.

He addresses it (barely), he has been well coached on what (not) to say, so it almost slips by

Page 2 : First person: Odell Thurman

... I did get in the program to begin with. And to get in you had to be doing something. But I'm not the first and I won't be the last to deal with this type of stuff. I just want people, however they looked at me beforehand, that's what I want to go back to. ...

Good point the MLB will have alot of tackles when all is said & done but I bet he made more big plays than he gave up. Of course he made mistakes, he was a rookie thrown into the fire from the get go. If I told you right now Brooks will have 148 tackles, 5 ints. , 4 forced fumbles you would'nt take it & say that is a great year for a rook? I'm not saying he's the greatest ever just that he deserved the praise he has gotten & don't feel he's overrated at all he's a play maker w/ a ton of potential.

Last year, as I said before, people was saying he should be considered for DOY now he screwed up some act like we don't need him & won't miss him. Maybe it because we haven't seen him this preseason & forgot what he brings to the team ? It seems some ( myself included) changed their opinions about what to do with Henry once he got back on the field & making plays.

If he's getting tested several times a week he has no choice but to clean up if not he'll be right up there with Ricky Willliams & Clarrett. Sounds like he is on the right path now & hopefully stays the course.

I agree with you Jonboat. People have short memories for the positive, and unfortunately as Odell will learn, they have long memories for the negative. Some people truly seem to need to dwell on the negative stuff, and this holds true on a daily basis on this board. And I'm not saying that everything should always be all roses, but give the guy a small amount of credit for owning up to his mistakes.

This violation stuff will follow Odell around for quite awhile, and the only thing that will hasten this stuff to fade into the background is if and when Odell returns and shows his worth on the field. And I for one choose to look at his interview as a step in the right direction. I hope Marvin stay on his butt and doesn't let him regress because he can be a huge asset to this team.

WHODEY!

I like how marvin is calling him to make sure everything is going ok with him

My sister use have a drug problem and had talked about suicide a few problems but she also admitted she had a problem and cleaned her selfup with no one elses help and hasen't done any sort of drug in 3 years and has 2 beautiful girls :P people change

Of course, as Kenny Chesney sang, some people change, and thank God your sister made it out alive. But. Most people don't/can't. I hope this isn't the case with Odell, but his words and tone sound very eerily familiar to those of my brother-in-law who always claimed to be better, had a family, his own business... and lost it all. In researching addictions, you find that this kind of pattern is the rule, not the exception.

• 4 weeks later...