Carucci and Simms talk Bengals

Stripes

The skeptics (read anyone with a rooting interest in the Pittsburgh Steelers) could argue that Palmer simply is a good actor, given his Southern California background and all. But I am going to believe what I saw on Monday Night Football and leave any analysis or second-guessing about his remarkably rapid recovery to the medical experts.

Exfreakingactly. The sh*theads over at Stillers.com and queernation.com are pooping in their collective pants over last nights show. They are convinced he will not make it past game 3. I absolutely love their anguish.

I don't put much stock in King's opinion... but I do think that it is interesting that he has us winning 8 straight in the middle of the season, and starting out 11-2. With how much everyone is complaining about our tough schedule, that would be pretty impressive.

I don't take King very seriously, either. I just thought this one more example of slap-dash work from an alleged expert. Yeah, I know he's trying to do a "best-case scenario" type of thing, but to be realistic don't you have to take into account, well, reality? His figures would have the AFCN going a collective 43-21 this season. Since realignment in 2002, no 4-team division has gone better than a collective 37-27, and no division has had more than two 10+ game winners. (His NFCE best-case finishes are even more lopsided at 45-19 and all 4 teams winning 10+ games).

Re the 11-2 start, yeah, I wouldn't beotch much either. :cheers:

I hear the catchphrase "window of opportunity" tossed around in NFL analysis. That window of opportunity began to open last season for the Cincinnati Bengals. And it looks like the opening is getting bigger.

This is something I have been thinking about. I remember when we first hired Marvin, and I believed him, either through logic or sheer optimism, about the direction he said he was going to take the team in (building through the draft, franchise quarterback, a select few free agents, etc, etc). I thought, "within five years we will have a SB ring." This is the 4th year and we are closing in on it damn fast. Except when you look at our team, I see so much room for improvement and potential I get butterflies. We have been building so much quality young depth all over the field I giddy. I can only see our defense getting better year after year with the influx of good DB's, LB's, DT's and DE's that will learn with experience, grow into this defense, and adapt to the slowing changing scheme. Marvin's defense is in evolution to the personnel we bring in and develop.

The offense is absolutely sick already. Carson will only get better, Chad and TJ are in their prime, we have depth behind them, we'll be fine at RB, our line is good and in my opinion will be fine if and when Wille or Steinbach leaves because we have depth, Braham has suitors, etc. Shayne Graham has drastically improved, our kick off return game has improved and the punt return will improve, and there really is no end in sight. This window of opportunity, starting this year, could be a 5+ year opening.

Maybe I'm a homer, but I feel I'm being pretty objective. The only things that can hurt us are, God forbid, another injury to Carson, massive and humongous character problems, or stars leaving to get paid in free agency. However, the way we have been drafting, I feel like Marvin & Co. have a pretty good thing going with their approach to the draft and being able to replace those who leave with younger less expensive players.

I bring this up because I hear some clowns saying we have had only one good year and it might be a fluke. They haven't watched the journey and the process unfold, and it will continue. Dynasty baby, Dynasty (I can only hope).

I bring this up because I hear some clowns saying we have had only one good year and it might be a fluke. They haven't watched the journey and the process unfold, and it will continue. Dynasty baby, Dynasty (I can only hope).

So do we all. I think, tho, that there is --- or at least ought to be -- a certain urgency about this season. The way things look, we will probably lose 2 starters off the o-line (Willie or Eric, and Braham) after this season. Justin Smith is probably gone. B-Rob and Big Sam, for all the good stuff they've done in the preseason and will hopefully do in the regular season, aren't exactly spring chickens. Obviously we have guys behind them who will hopefully blossom, but really this team is as stacked right now as it's ever been. It has the potential to be the best Bengals team ever.

On top of that, you have a Browns team that is still rebuilding, but getting closer, a Ravens club trying to wring one more bit of glory out of oldsters like Lewis and McNair, and a Steelers team that while certainly still good, has no place to go but down.

The window certainly doesn't close after this season, but it might not get any wider...

Amazing how much media buzz can be sparked from one Monday Night preseason game. Even usual naysayers like King are giving us a legitimate shot at 12-4. That wins this division.

Everyone remember Whitlock and his 6-10 prediction. It'll be nice for crow purposes later in the season. :rolleyes:

This 6-10 team is looking better than anyone else in the league. They're still rusty too.