Anybody want "The Squirrel"?

fattyjay

With the recent 3 team trade going down, does anybody else think now is the perfect time to get rid of KWash? Yes he comes up with some clutch catches, but how can the Bengals justify taking up a roster spot for a guy that's not in the competition for the 3rd receiver spot, and refuses to play special teams? Fox.com has team rankings of each position. I say pour over the bottom 5 or so teams and see who might be a good fit. Philly? Chicago? N.O.? S.F.?

I don't think we need a player this year, but it would be nice to replace the draft pick we used for next year.

For the record... he doesn't refuse to play special teams, he just happens to be a liability on special teams. There is a difference. He's a decent receiver, and could be a #2 on a lot of teams, and definetly a #3 on most teams... but we just have a ton of depth.

I don't happen to like him much, and the fact that he doesn't play ST's well means that he usually has to be inactive. I'd rather have a draft pick than the missing roster spot. On the other hand, with Henry not completely healthy, and the pending legal problems... it might not be the worst idea in the world to keep him around as our #3 when Henry can't do it.

Either way... I'm happy I guess. But I'm guessing he won't be here next year no matter what.

I noticed he was playing on coverage teams last Friday for the first time (that I've seen him do so). Saw him in on one tackle (kind of a lame effort).

I would prefer to see him stay because he's an all-around threat with experience and upside left - over the middle or can get open deep and is big enough to go up-top for em.

Someone's gonna get hurt at some point, and they will need him.

TJ, CJ, AC, KW, TP and McNeil would be my choices.

Given the question marks around Henry (knee, possible suspension issues), I have to think Kwash makes the squad.

Henry could end up PUP'd. That would allow them to delay the decision for a couple months, and would give them a better read on Henry's legal issues.

I have to agree that KWash stays unless somebody gets desperate and comes up with a #3 or lower for him -- something that is highly unlikely. This is a guy who makes relatively few catches, but a disproportionately high percentage of them are TD's. Whether that is scheme or an anomaly is open to debate, but with Henry's situation I don't see how you let him go in favor of any of the rooks. I don't have to look any farther than Chatman's current injury to believe that it won't be the last to this squad at WR and Wash is cheap insurance at this point. It costs us nothing until/unless Henry is back for the rest of the season. There's no downside to keeping Wash until things play out with Henry.

Given the question marks around Henry (knee, possible suspension issues), I have to think Kwash makes the squad.

Henry could end up PUP'd. That would allow them to delay the decision for a couple months, and would give them a better read on Henry's legal issues.

Yeah I was assuming Henry would be suspended or PUP'd for a while this year, failed to mention that.

I guess i just hate to see draft picks get cut over guys that are kept because of convenience. Don't get me wrong, KWash is still a talented player. That is why i think he has trade value. If we end up cutting McNeill and/or Brazell we don't get any compensation. Plus, we haven't really seen what the rookies are capable of, while we know KWash will be no better than our fourth receiver.

I think there are more stupid GM's out there to be had. The Falcons just gave up a 3rd rounder pick for Ashlie Lelie. True he was the Broncos #2 receiver last year, but that was by default. He only had 42 catches and 1 TD in 13 games. I think that whoever would get KWash would get more productivity than that. A team like Chicago is desparate enough on offense to fall for it.

We aren't going to get a 3rd for Washington... so just put it out of your mind. We are going to have to let someone go for nothing... so the question is who is it going to be?

McNeal isn't ready for the NFL, so he won't get nabbed off of the practice squad. Henry could easily be on the PUP list to start the season, and there is no guarantee he won't get a suspension as well..

If we keep 6 then Chad, Housh, Henry and Tab Perry are slam dunks. That leaves Brazell, KW, and Chatman to fight for 2 spots. We need someone that can step up as a #3 in case Henry is gone. Brazell hasn't shown that he can do that, and Chatman has been injured as well.

I'm not saying KW will defintely make the final roster... but at this point he makes me feel better than the other guys that are competing for the spot. If we can't get a 4th round pick, I'd like to keep him.

I think there are more stupid GM's out there to be had. The Falcons just gave up a 3rd rounder pick for Ashlie Lelie. True he was the Broncos #2 receiver last year, but that was by default. He only had 42 catches and 1 TD in 13 games. I think that whoever would get KWash would get more productivity than that. A team like Chicago is desparate enough on offense to fall for it.

The difference is that Lelie is a former 1st round pick. Also, Shanahan is known for not developing a lot of players well, (like Deltha) who end up thriving on other teams. I'm guessing that the Falcons are betting that Shanahan screwed this up and that Lelie has real ability.

Constrast that with KWash, a former 3rd that didn't pan out, playing in an offense where even Kevin freaking Walter looked good from time to time. KWash drops a lot and can't use his body to keep DBs away from the ball. We'd be lucky to get a tackling dummy for him.

He was on the market this past offseason, and to my knowledge no one signed his offer sheet.

We aren't going to get a 3rd for Washington... so just put it out of your mind. We are going to have to let someone go for nothing... so the question is who is it going to be?

McNeal isn't ready for the NFL, so he won't get nabbed off of the practice squad. Henry could easily be on the PUP list to start the season, and there is no guarantee he won't get a suspension as well..

If we keep 6 then Chad, Housh, Henry and Tab Perry are slam dunks. That leaves Brazell, KW, and Chatman to fight for 2 spots. We need someone that can step up as a #3 in case Henry is gone. Brazell hasn't shown that he can do that, and Chatman has been injured as well.

I'm not saying KW will defintely make the final roster... but at this point he makes me feel better than the other guys that are competing for the spot. If we can't get a 4th round pick, I'd like to keep him.

Henry won't count while he's suspended (yes, I'm now assuming it formally), so there's no reason not to carry Brazell, Wash and Chatman for whatever the length of that suspension is. They could get a look at Brazell under the lights and, if he turns out to be a gem, then they can consider cutting Wash when Henry returns. In the meantime, if somebody gets hurt and goes on the PUP, then they could carry everybody when Henry returns. There's just no incentive to shopping Wash for what little value he has on the open market when he's here, he's under contract, and he's not likely to be keeping anybody we really need off the squad.

I think Washington is way ahead of Chatman and McNeal. I think he makes the team, Chatman is cut, and McNeal hits the squad. We tried shopping him (rumor has it) during the draft, and he didn't seem to draw much interest. He's better than he gets credit for, though he can be inconsistent.

I honestly think that short of Chatman killing a relative of the Brown clan, he makes the team regardless. When he heals up, he our punt returner and God knows seeing Ratliff back there pisses me off because I know he's going to run back and forth and do nothing but LOSE yards...

WHODEY !!!

I agree, Chatman's not going anywhere. And if Henry's listed as PUP, then I think that would be more as a gimmick, not because he's actually hurt that bad.

Haven't heard much from Brazell lately. I was expecting him to be WR #6. If he's not, then it looks like there might be room for McNeal after all. As a WR, that is.

My current hunch is...

Roster: CJ, TJ, Henry, Chatman, Tab, McNeal

PS: Brazell

Cut/Traded: KWash, PK Sam*, Holt*

*These guys are eligible for PS, but I don't know how many WR's they'd keep

If an injury or suspension happens, I suppose you keep KWash over Brazell. But when the injured/suspended player returns, somebody's going to have to go.

I have to agree that KWash stays unless somebody gets desperate and comes up with a #3 or lower for him -- something that is highly unlikely. This is a guy who makes relatively few catches, but a disproportionately high percentage of them are TD's. Whether that is scheme or an anomaly is open to debate, but with Henry's situation I don't see how you let him go in favor of any of the rooks. I don't have to look any farther than Chatman's current injury to believe that it won't be the last to this squad at WR and Wash is cheap insurance at this point. It costs us nothing until/unless Henry is back for the rest of the season. There's no downside to keeping Wash until things play out with Henry.
Yeah what he said :cheers: