Was this Mike or Marvin?

walzav29

I have read that there were disagreements between people inside of the Bengals organization on the signing of Sapp. If Marvin wanted him and Mike decided that he wasn't going to pay then we are in deep trouble. if Marvin wanted him, and Mike didn't sign him then this is the beginning of the end. We need to hear from some NFL insiders to get the scoop.

I have read that there were disagreements between people inside of the Bengals organization on the signing of Sapp. If Marvin wanted him and Mike decided that he wasn't going to pay then we are in deep trouble. if Marvin wanted him, and Mike didn't sign him then this is the beginning of the end. We need to hear from some NFL insiders to get the scoop.

It wasn't either I think. It was the $7 million dollar signing bonus the Raiders offered. Beat the crap outa our deal!

The deal that sapp got was more than twice what we were offering.. 16 mill over 4 years with close to a 5 million dollar signing bonus.. .compared to 36 million over 7 years with a 7 million dollar signing bonus is too much to pass up!.....

Whoever it was that came up with the money probably did a good job numbers wise, but Drew Rosenhaus did his job. If we had signed Sapp, and then the Raiders went public a day later saying We would have given Sapp 40 million dollars to sign here if only he would have returned our phone call, Sapp would have been all disgruntled and such...It worked out for the best..

Hopefully come april we can land..

1. wilfork or Udeze,Smith

2.Washington,Sopaoga etc..

It wasn't either I think. It was the $7 million dollar signing bonus the Raiders offered. Beat the crap outa our deal!

Most recent reports say the SB is only $4 million, but that there's another $3 million in guaranteed money this year and next. Basically, Sapp will make just under $10 million -- most of it guaranteed -- in the next two years, after which the Raiders will cut him at a hit of about $2 million (less, I'm sure, than his 2006 salary + bonus).

Im going out on a limb here and Im gonna say good stuff about Mike. At least he tried to land sapp a big name . I dont think he did anything wrong this off season.

(waits to be shot by all)

I agree...it's easy to blame Mike when things don't go that way we want them to but overpaying for 30-somethings is not a good way to build for the future. I think something will get done with Dillon when the draft is closer and After June 1 there will be some others released by their teams.

As long as the others in our division aren't getting way ahaead of us, I think we've got a good chance to win the division. So far I don't see where that happened , especially since TO went to Philly.

Garcia in Cleveland worries me somewhat. Gotta wonder what the heck Baltimore is holding out for. I havnt checked lately but they had the most cap room of any team and they got a philly draft pick just for playing the game. Put a QB in Baltimore and we could have trouble. ;)

Baltimore needs someone to catch the ball, besides the TE....All the QB's in the world wouldn't help their passing game....

Garcia in Cleveland....Doesn't worry me cause he is a West Coast QB, and the Browns offense isn't a west coast offense...Plus he is rather brittle, one good hit by a D, and whammo, he's out for a few games at least....But, he will help a little...

...and the WTF? columns out of Oakland sportswriters begin... :P

http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,14...2032485,00.html

The next time you hear the Raiders complaining they can't compete because of their meager revenue streams, turn a deaf ear. With this move, they overpaid for a player they probably didn't need, and a player who most experts feel is on the downside of his career.

But the expert named Al Davis apparently doesn't think so. He's so enamored by the 31-year-old Sapp that the huge contract was front-loaded so that the nine-year veteran and seven-time Pro Bowler could make more than half of the contract's worth in the first four years.

The big question is why. Teams weren't exactly beating down Sapp's door with offers. The Bengals, who all but thought they'd landed the defensive tackle, were offering only four years at $16 million, with a comparatively modest signing bonus of $4million. So the Raiders felt compelled to go $7mil? Wow.

...and the WTF? columns out of Oakland sportswriters begin... :P

http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,14...2032485,00.html

The next time you hear the Raiders complaining they can't compete because of their meager revenue streams, turn a deaf ear. With this move, they overpaid for a player they probably didn't need, and a player who most experts feel is on the downside of his career.

But the expert named Al Davis apparently doesn't think so. He's so enamored by the 31-year-old Sapp that the huge contract was front-loaded so that the nine-year veteran and seven-time Pro Bowler could make more than half of the contract's worth in the first four years.

The big question is why. Teams weren't exactly beating down Sapp's door with offers. The Bengals, who all but thought they'd landed the defensive tackle, were offering only four years at $16 million, with a comparatively modest signing bonus of $4million. So the Raiders felt compelled to go $7mil? Wow.

This makes me feel a little better.

Ok... 2 weeks ago the league experts said Sapp's expected market value was around 2 million a year. So we go out and shock the league...blowing the market value out of the water at nearly 4 million a year. The Raiders then blow our offer out of the water.

So um......my question is Why is everyone ripping Mike Brown for this?

Ok... 2 weeks ago the league experts said Sapp's expected market value was around 2 million a year. So we go out and shock the league...blowing the market value out of the water at nearly 4 million a year. The Raiders then blow our offer out of the water.

Force of habit for most people....But a lot of it is just blowing off steam...I mean What would everybody said had Brown matched it? They would have ripped him for that....It was a no win situation...Over pay for Sapp, way overpay for Sapp, or not sign him, after all the hype generated by Sapps agent? I mean everything I read said it was Sapps agent that said he was close to signing with the Bengals just to see if he could shake an offer out of someone else for more money...I think the thing Mikey should have done was publicly announce that they were withdrawing there contract offer....But then he would have been ripped for that too....

For me, it's just because they shouldn't have been in the position of chasing Sapp in the first place. The crucial mistake was made earlier in FA, when the bengals -- whose primary goal was to nail down a vet CB -- decided not to chase any top prospects (like Winfield or Plummer) and "wait for the market to come down," which any fool could see it wasn't going to do. Plan A has gone splat, plan B has gone splat, what's plan C, guys...?

Another point Tigerpwz, is that the entire offseason has been so unorganized. The day after the cleveland loss, ML sat Kitna down to basically tell him what we all found out on March 1st. Management had a responsibility to re-structure Kit's salary before the start of FA so that we could have some extra dough going into FA.

--We were putting 4 mil towards a big name dt, but wouldn't put up 3 mil to sign a big name corner. Granted both of these players, are older players, but if you don't know what price you're going to have to pay, then maybe it would have been smarter to shop somewhere else first !

--All of the releases like Burris,Hawkins, and as expected Oliver Gibson, should have been a sign that we were about to bring in someone to replace them...

---We know what Marvin can do with the players, but Managements got to meet him half way.