DT McCargo

Does anyone have ESPN insider, and if so, could they possibly post or summarize the article about John McCargo from NC State? He looks to be an intriguing prospect, with good size and burst off the line.

I think he could be one of the steals of the draft. I like both him and Jonathan Lewis out of Va Tech.

Insider article, anyone?

Another DT who ought to be on the prospect list:

John McCargo 6-3, 300# JR. from NC State.

If he enters early, he'll be coveted for his ability to get tackles for loss. Watching NC State-Va Tech, McCargo has the knack for blasting his way into the backfield.

Here's a little something about McCargo from September last year on the Bengalszone top DTs draft thread.

I can not remember where I read it today -- one of the major media sites, I think, I'll try to find it -- but the long and short of it is that John McCargo impressed at his pro day and is shooting, Bunkley-like, up a number of draft boards around the league. Some have him ranked third behind Ngata and Bunkley, and there are rumblings he could go late in the first round now.

EDIT: it was the espn piece, someone had posted it on another board. The relevant excerpt:

McCargo's ascent up draft boards continued this week with a strong performance at the school's pro day workouts, and his audition certainly enhanced the chances that North Carolina State will have three defensive linemen selected in the first round next month...

...Several scouts now list him as the third-best prospect at tackle, behind only Haloti Ngata of Oregon and Florida State's Brodrick Bunkley. And unlike those two, McCargo is more a one-gap player, capable of compressing the pocket from the inside...

...Scouts agree that one of McCargo's strong suits is his effective use of his hands, often an oversight by young defenders. Watch him on tape, though, and McCargo's hand speed, and ability to get into a blocker's body, is nearly as impressive as his first step forward. That said, McCargo, an underclass prospect, still is very quick off the ball and keeps his feet moving nicely, even when engaged with an opponent...

...At a shade under 6-foot-2 and 305 pounds, McCargo isn't as bulky as some of the other tackle prospects in the 2006 draft class. But several franchises, particularly those seeking a one-gap tackle, have now moved him ahead of players such as Michigan's Gabe Watson, Miami's Orien Harris and Texas' Rodrique Wright. Two general managers asked this week about McCargo had him graded in the lower third of the first round, and acknowledged his stock is rising...

McCargo has been projected late 1st/early 2nd for awhile now and it probably had something to do with the draft evaulation service (but not more to do with how he plays in any event).

But there's still going to be questions about him that might give teams pause...hopefully anyway so the Bengals can decide if they want him with a 2nd round pick.

I don't think there's any question that McCargo will find himself above Watson, Harris and Wright on boards for 4-3 teams. One of the likelier teams to grab him in the 2nd before the Bengals pick is Buffalo. Contrary to a lot of mocks, it seems very unlikely that the Bills will use their 1st round pick to take Ngata.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060328/1038197.asp

McCargo has been projected late 1st/early 2nd for awhile now and it probably had something to do with the draft evaulation service (but not more to do with how he plays in any event).

But there's still going to be questions about him that might give teams pause...hopefully anyway so the Bengals can decide if they want him with a 2nd round pick.

I don't think there's any question that McCargo will find himself above Watson, Harris and Wright on boards for 4-3 teams. One of the likelier teams to grab him in the 2nd before the Bengals pick is Buffalo. Contrary to a lot of mocks, it seems very unlikely that the Bills will use their 1st round pick to take Ngata.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060328/1038197.asp

bills take bunk and browns take ngata?noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Having another DT make it into the 1st round would be great. I don't know much about McCargo other than the few scouting reports I've seen, but if Bengals drafters like what they see in him, then so do I. The more defensive options we have to choose from at 24, the better. Maybe we could think about trading down from 24 to the bottom of round one/top of round two where we could pursue McCargo there?

I'm getting to the point where I wouldn't want to see the Bengals trade down if they could get Cromartie but if he's gone by #24 trade away. Some team might get the major wood for McCargo to the point where he won't be available to the Bengals in the 2nd if they like him enough to draft him. If a trade down does happen, I'd like the idea of drafting Nick Mangold a lot more than McCargo.

OK, why Mangold ??? We drafted Guycheck, Kieft, as well as having Wilkerson (depending on injury). Remember Big Willie giving Guycheck BIG PROPS as having the best start for a rookie as he's ever seen ?? I would be HIGHLY PISSED if we even thought of Mangold. I like the guy a ton, but don't want to waste a pick on him. McCargo on the other hand would be more than a solid pickup !!!

WHODEY !!!

Think left guard instead of center then think of re-siginging both Levi and Steinbach in the wake of Hutchinson's deal. Mangold's short area quickness is better than any of the LG prospects. Why is that important? The Bengals run right more out of the power I with the left guard pulling than any team in the NFL.

Add to that the Mangold is being bandied about as the best center prospect in a decade and it would make life without old Buckethead a little easier for the Bengals to bear. Ghiaucic did have a great start vs. Jags and should be able to hold his own, but Wilkinson is a question mark because of the patellar tendon tear and Larry Moore keeps getting hurt (although the last time was no fault of his own). The O-Line has to be among the league's best. Period.

But McCargo is a solid draft pick and should rotate with Thornton by the beginning of the season if the Bengals go that way.