VINCENT SIGNS!!!!!!!!!

JonFnKitna

That explains the flurry of activity over Taylor at PBS reported on bengals.com.

I can't say I'm too disappointed. I was never that keen on Vincent, and while Taylor doesn't do a great deal for me either, reports are that he's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder re: Vincent and is looking to prove he can be great on his own. That seems more promising to me than a player whose agent continually says her client is looking for a place to retire.

I can't say I'm too disappointed. I was never that keen on Vincent, and while Taylor doesn't do a great deal for me either, reports are that he's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder re: Vincent and is looking to prove he can be great on his own. That seems more promising to me than a player whose agent continually says her client is looking for a place to retire.

Yeah, the retirement comments really turned me off...The Bengals are not a retirement lodge....While Taylor doesn't have the pure skills of Vincent, he has a few years less were and tear...and let's face it, we aren't looking at a long term solution, just one to ease Weathersby into the lineup.....

...and let's face it, we aren't looking at a long term solution, just one to ease Weathersby into the lineup.....

And that's precisely why a soon to be retiring player wouldn't have been a bad thing.

Unless he plays like he is retired already, and damn, that's what it sounded like from Vincent....

You have to think Marvin feels confident about signing Taylor, and having Weathersby step up by releasing both Burris, and Hawkins.....Either that, or he know's something about the corners on the roster already that we don't

Man, I'm not so dissappointed by the snub by Vincent, I'm more pissed that there isnt s**t goings on with the trades!!! I cant believe this....McCariens is worth a 2nd round pick?!? Pardon my french, but WHO THE f**k IS DARIEN MCCARIENS?!? (Or whatever his name is) Man, if T.O can go for a 2nd rounder, what the f**k is up with Dillon?! Now the Raiders and Broncos are really pissing me off....stop being bitches and pull the trigger!

Man, I'm not so dissappointed by the snub by Vincent, I'm more pissed that there isnt s**t goings on with the trades!!! I cant believe this....McCariens is worth a 2nd round pick?!? Pardon my french, but WHO THE f**k IS DARIEN MCCARIENS?!? (Or whatever his name is) Man, if T.O can go for a 2nd rounder, what the f**k is up with Dillon?! Now the Raiders and Broncos are really pissing me off....stop being bitches and pull the trigger!

Well, the biggest problem with the trade is that everybody thinks the Bengals are gonna cut Dillon....Why waste a pick when you can pick him up after June 1.....That's what the dips**t did when he pulled his little throw everything to the fans stunt in the last game....He completely screwed the Bengals over....I'd love to see the Bengals be able to get a 2nd out of him, but I don't see it happening unless it happens on draft day.....But I have a sneaky suspicion that Dillon will be a Bengal this year....

Man, if T.O can go for a 2nd rounder, what the f**k is up with Dillon?! Now the Raiders and Broncos are really pissing me off....stop being bitches and pull the trigger!

Well, the Broncos aren't serious, they're just making noises in an attempt to get their division rival to overpay -- and by turning away from CD and dancing with Hearst, Oakland called their bluff. Now the Raiders know what the market for CD is: someplace between jack and sheot. So they're in no rush. I still think the most likely scenario is a draft day deal with someone.

The Vincent signing or Bobby Taylor signing wasn't going to improve us that much anyway. In a best case scenario, Weathersby would have been ready to start and performs that way. The fact is, we're going to be drafting a corner and a safety anyways.. Free Agency just determines when and where that will happen.

-----Teams can shy away from Dillon all they want, but he's more of a longterm answer at running back than Hearst or anyone else is. Hearst has 2 bad knees, and a screwed up ankle. He was never the type to dominate a game in the first place.

The Vincent signing or Bobby Taylor signing wasn't going to improve us that much anyway. In a best case scenario, Weathersby would have been ready to start and performs that way. The fact is, we're going to be drafting a corner and a safety anyways.. Free Agency just determines when and where that will happen.

-----Teams can shy away from Dillon all they want, but he's more of a longterm answer at running back than Hearst or anyone else is. Hearst has 2 bad knees, and a screwed up ankle. He was never the type to dominate a game in the first place.

Assuming we sign Taylor ................ you think this puts DT back at the top of the list ????

according to Bengals.com :: the bengals confirmed visits by both Taylor and Lional Dalton the dt from the Baltimore Ravens.

Dalton is a 6 year vet. He hasn't started much,and he doesn't really have a lot of production to go with his name. He's played in 88 games ,for the Ravens,Broncos,and last year with the redskins. He's a wave defensive lineman at best, and we'll come out better in the draft !.

But to answer your question .. Yes, I still think that we could grab a dt in round 1 , and steal a de in round 2. But i think defensive line has to be addressed in rounds 1. and the possibility for a trade down can happen. If we lose out on the top 3.. Starks' recent workout wasn't that good, ( most teams believed it was because he was sick ) but we could still trade down a couple of spots and still grab him.Odom could be there in round 2 as well.

Hum. So with the CB depth in the FA this season as deep as ever in the history of the NFL with cornerbacks, we miss out on 8-9 of them? So now I wonder how much with the Vincent not signing with the Bengals deal -- of whom Marvin WANTED! -- changes the aspect of the positioning in the economics of the team.

As much as I hate sounding critical, lets be realistic for a second; we missed on some very quality cornerbacks.

From Bengals.com

"Taylor’s agent, the Houston-based Jason Medlock, said the sides are at a standstill and he doesn’t see how a deal can be struck. But he can see how his client could end up in Washington because the Redskins called just as the Bengals’ deal snagged and scheduled a visit for Thursday."

There goes Bobby Taylor. Way to go Bengals!

Don't be so down Kirk, we simply didn't have the money this year to address each hole on the defense. If we can get younger on the defense through the draft, it'll help in the long run, we might not get the wins as early as we would like, but another 8-8 season with really no one else in our division having much better luck in FA, we still have a chance at winning the division next year.

Don't be so down Kirk, we simply didn't have the money this year to address each hole on the defense. If we can get younger on the defense through the draft, it'll help in the long run, we might not get the wins as early as we would like, but another 8-8 season with really no one else in our division having much better luck in FA, we still have a chance at winning the division next year.

I hope you're right Chris, I really do. Maybe I'm a little mad, maybe I see this FA period the same ol' tune. But what I know is that we are not upgrading positions that desperately need it. I hope the draft turns things around. BTW - No matter how pissed I get, I'm still a Bengal fan for LIFE! :P

Worse come to Worse, we could always bring Jeff Burris back for the league minimum until a drafted player is ready to take his spot.

---- I Know , I know.. but his knowledge of the system would help plus the safety position should be upgraded, so his mistakes shouldn't cost us as much.

-----Most importantly .. we' have to be able to shorten the field by great pressure up front... Once we improve the defensive line, the secondary will have less time to make mistakes.

-----Most importantly .. we' have to be able to shorten the field by great pressure up front... Once we improve the defensive line, the secondary will have less time to make mistakes.

True, and I'm the biggest advocate of having quality linemen over any position. But then again, we haven't gotten anyone either. Is this another draft solution? We only have so many.

But what I know is that we are not upgrading positions that desperately need it. I hope the draft turns things around. BTW - No matter how pissed I get, I'm still a Bengal fan for LIFE! :P

Upgrade at what cost? The Corner market is pretty overpriced right now....These guys are getting too much money for their skills....Marvin has shown that he's not into the quick fix....He's longterm so why overpay for a CB(Vincent, Taylor) and knee cap the team from signing another two players that would fill needs....The team is in a position to draft some corner help, I'm sure some vets will be released in the June first cuts that will help the team out without breaking the bank like corners are costing now....Yeah, the Bengals could have signed Taylor or Vincent to a contract with a big signing bonus, but then considering their age what would it cost against the cap in 2 years time? As for the bigger name free agent CB's the team was competing against teams with a lot more cap space....what price do you put on a corner if you lose 4 other players......

Of course if the Bengals don't manage to sign Beckett, or Marion, or even Roman at Safety.....Well then I'll be pissed.....

I say we draft one or two DB's with smarts and ability in the middle rounds, and groom them into the top DB's of tomorrow! We probably have no choice anyway due to the cap restrictions we find ourselves under. We may as well play the hand we're dealt the best we can!

Don't forget that if we also draft some good pass rushers on the line, it's only going to make it that much easier for the defensive backs to cover. I credit alot of Ty Laws success to the Patriots pass rush! It's a major factor in coverage that is often overlooked. B)

But what I know is that we are not upgrading positions that desperately need it.  I hope the draft turns things around.  BTW - No matter how pissed I get, I'm still a Bengal fan for LIFE!  :P

Upgrade at what cost? The Corner market is pretty overpriced right now....These guys are getting too much money for their skills....Marvin has shown that he's not into the quick fix....He's longterm so why overpay for a CB(Vincent, Taylor) and knee cap the team from signing another two players that would fill needs....The team is in a position to draft some corner help, I'm sure some vets will be released in the June first cuts that will help the team out without breaking the bank like corners are costing now....Yeah, the Bengals could have signed Taylor or Vincent to a contract with a big signing bonus, but then considering their age what would it cost against the cap in 2 years time? As for the bigger name free agent CB's the team was competing against teams with a lot more cap space....what price do you put on a corner if you lose 4 other players......

Of course if the Bengals don't manage to sign Beckett, or Marion, or even Roman at Safety.....Well then I'll be pissed.....

Kev, I agree. But we mustered $2.5 million to Taylor? Wow! From Bengals.com from Taylor’s agent, "But they hardly have any room. I’m looking at the (NFL Players Association cap figures) and they have close to zero. They’re trying, but Bobby Taylor isn’t going to play for $2.5 million per year.”

I mean Taylor isn't the high priced CB I'm talking about, he's second tier. Then again, an offer like $2.5 million isn't breaking the bank either. Are we putting too much emphasis on the draft? Now wait, aren't we supposed to pick up a DT in the first round? With two spots on our team in desperate need of upgrading, how can not picking up ANYONE at either a form of hope? This is not hope, but disappointment.

Then again, Marvin is supposed to take us into the land of bliss. I'm severely disappointed in his lack of formulating a plan for this off-season. And I'm referring to freeing up money or picking up players from last season that helped break the bank. Then again, he could shut me up by just telling us what he’s planning on doing. You know, the community thing.

Marvin and Brown better find a way to secure more money for quality players, or we are in the never ending cycle of the AOH.

Kev, I'm pissed now. Now, Marvin is telling me that we can't pick up good players. The hell with quality, I want players that can play above the league norm. I want players that will help us progress. Vincent could have helped -- not won it on his own -- but damn, he would helped greatly. Taylor would have helped -- not won it on his own -- but damn, he would have helped greatly.

I know I'm the only anti- 2004 Bengals FA period in the group, so take it easy on me. :P

I say we draft one or two DB's with smarts and ability in the middle rounds, and groom them into the top DB's of tomorrow!

But we did that with Weathersby, why would we need to draft three corners in two drafts? I don't see change, just public relations relief. I might be the first to criticize the Marvin plan in his sophomore year, yet, I don't see the change needed to better this team.

I know I'm the only anti- 2004 Bengals FA period in the group, so take it easy on me. :P

I wouldn't say the only one. I too am disappointed we didn't do better in the FA market. If I was grading, I would say C-/D+ at best. As it currently appears on the surface, other teams did much better, but they had more to work with than the Bengals did. B)

Then again, Marvin is supposed to take us into the land of bliss. I'm severely disappointed in his lack of formulating a plan for this off-season. And I'm referring to freeing up money or picking up players from last season that helped break the bank. Then again, he could shut me up by just telling us what he’s planning on doing. You know, the community thing.

Marvin and Brown better find a way to secure more money for quality players, or we are in the never ending cycle of the AOH.

Kev, I'm pissed now. Now, Marvin is telling me that we can't pick up good players. The hell with quality, I want players that can play above the league norm. I want players that will help us progress. Vincent could have helped -- not won it on his own -- but damn, he would helped greatly. Taylor would have helped -- not won it on his own -- but damn, he would have helped greatly.

Well, I would love to see the Bengals sign some people...But I don't want to see them overpay, and that's what happens when you sign "quality" players in the first few weeks of free agency....It was disappointing to see the Bengals not land one of the top FA corners on the market, but after seeing what was paid, I can say I'm not exactly overwhelmed with grief....I also think that after such an improvement last year, that a lot of us were expecting a "washington" free agency....I think Marvins plan is to build with the draft, get a few players via free agency and establish a strong core for the team....The problem is, after so long having Mikey in charge, we aren't willing to wait to suceed, we want to win now...Not saying that it's wrong, but it is unrealistic...Marvin isn't here for one more year, but for at least 4 more, and that means that he wants to become a powerhouse, not a one year wonder.

And yeah, the silence we are getting from the team is enough to piss me off