Dillon Trade

ntpou

I just read the Radiers are offering a 3rd pick but we are holding out for a 2nd. Found it in the Cin. Post. It also said G.Hearst is more interested in the Radiers than the Radiers are of him. Cin. doesn't see Hearst as a threat to kill the deal. Thats what I got.

The trouble is the thick blankets of smoke being pumped out by the Bengals, Raiders, Broncos, and the Dillon and Hearst camps. We have a five-way clusterfudge going on, some of it serious, some of it obfuscation and BS.

The Raiders like CD. Denver probably doesn't, but they want to make sure their division rival pays through the nose for him, so they make noises about him. CD likely prefers Denver to the Raiders, but his agent's comments indicate even he knows the Broncs are wishful thinking. Meanwhile, Hearst is trying to find a new home (preferably not far from his old one) and the Raiders need some negotiating leverage to get the Bengals to settle for a lower pick. So the Raiders dance with Hearst, who will probably put his X on any reasonable contract; I doubt he'll get that, instead they'l lowball him and tie him up in talks that will only heat up if CD falls through.

At least, that's what I see so far...

Great assessment. The trouble for the principles involved though is to make sure they don't get too smart for thier own good. Could end up with a team not getting the guy they want / need, Dillon not getting a decent contract ( doubt anyone will take his intact ) , and us tying up money we could be using to sign people we need.

I also noted that his agent hadn't been given permission to seek a trade for Dillon. Good move on the part of the Bengals ............. all he'd do is add to the confusion.

CD's agent is doing all he can, tho, in publicly gushing over Denver. It appears, however, that the primary immovable object in the whole affair is the Bengals. Here's a note from clayton over at espn.com:

Dillon on hold?

Don't expect a Corey Dillon trade to Oakland in the next day or two. The hope is that the Bengals will be flexible in trade discussions with the Raiders that something could be worked out early next week. Momentum is building for the Raiders to acquire Dillon in a trade. Work is quietly being done behind the scenes to broker a deal between the two teams. Still to be worked out is draft choice compensations between the Raiders and Bengals.

Reading between the lines (esp. that bit about the hope that the Bengals will be flexible, and the note that draft compensation remains to be worked out) my take is that the Bengals are absolutely refusing to budge off their 2nd round pick position. If it's true that the Raiders have offered their third...then I disagree with Marvin and Mikey. Take the Raiders' third. It's the second pick in the 3rd round, for heaven's sake -- and it appears to be the best offer, given reports that they have shopped CD to every team who might have interest in an RB and gotten only Oakland as takers.

Take the Raiders' third. It's the second pick in the 3rd round, for heaven's sake -- and it appears to be the best offer, given reports that they have shopped CD to every team who might have interest in an RB and gotten only Oakland as takers.

I'm with Joisey here! Early third...late second...what's the diff? We're getting something of value! Don't let it get away! B)

I dont understand one thing, and im sure someone here can clear this up. Why would the Raiders or Broncos or anyone not just wait until the Bengals cut Dillon, which I think will happen if a trade falls through?

You've answered your own question. The only way teams can get Dillon is ...... if a trade falls through. In other words they have a problem. They don't want to trade for him so they can get him for " free " ....... but they can't count on someone else not to trade for him and screwing that up.

what to do what to do ????????????

I do think there will be a bidding war started over him between Denver and Oakland. I think the recent news of how Oakland is looking at Hearst, is just a smoke screen to see if Denver is really interested in Dillon. I do think they will try to out bid each other because both teams hate one another. I think Dillon will be trade for a second round pick. Just wait and see.

To me that makes a lot of sense, similiar to what NO did when they traded Rickey. He did so well in Miami that first year that they ended up get another high pick. My guess is that CD will do well next year as he tries to prove everyone wrong. R-U-D-I is definitely the long term answer, but I hope we don't play CD next year...

I do think there will be a bidding war started over him between Denver and Oakland. I think the recent news of how Oakland is looking at Hearst, is just a smoke screen to see if Denver is really interested in Dillon. I do think they will try to out bid each other because both teams hate one another. I think Dillon will be trade for a second round pick. Just wait and see.

exactly....i post the same thing in another thread....there in the same conference play twice a year, and dont want to face Dillon twice a year...ask the broncos AND the raiders....they both know.....

To me that makes a lot of sense, similiar to what NO did when they traded Rickey. He did so well in Miami that first year that they ended up get another high pick. My guess is that CD will do well next year as he tries to prove everyone wrong. R-U-D-I is definitely the long term answer, but I hope we don't play CD next year...

not to discount your credibility, but it smells like a bandwagon fan/newly acquired fan....any true bengal fan has rooted Corey on, and we probably still have mixed emotions for him....i know i do....if we do get rid of him, i say get him far away from us as possible, but i will check for him time to time...hes talented, and i wonder what he would do with another team....(but weve had a talented OLine, cant deny that)

Oakland's pick in the 3rd round is # 67.. the 4th overall pick in round #3., still behind Arizona which could look to steal a running back early that round.

Denver has picks # 41 and 54 in round 2, and could option one of those 2 for Dillon.

Oakland would have to offer that 3rd with an option pick in '05 to secure Dillon.If not, He's a Bronco I think..

I'll root for Dillon wherever he goes as well.. I still would like to see him rush for more than 12.000 yards---gives him a shot at the Hall if he does that.

For what it's worth, we play Denver this year but don't play da' Raiders. I would hate to see the hype for that game if CD does go to Denver.

Would it be in Cincy or Denver? If it's Cincy...Oh My God! Everytime Corey got hit, the place would come un-freakin-glued!! :lol:

For what it's worth, we play Denver this year but don't play da' Raiders. I would hate to see the hype for that game if CD does go to Denver.

AGREED

I dojnt care where he goes but i want him gone. He will rush for easily ove 1000 yards next year (staying healthy for 12 games or more) AT FIRST I WAS SCARED NOONE WANTED HIS BAD ATTITUDE BUT I GUESSED WRONG. Dillon will Be in the hall some day

And now we're all loving Corey :blink: Will you guys make up your minds? "Corey's good for 1200 behind a good line (which we have), Corey'll be in the Hall one day, no way do we just take a third for Corey, we don't wanna play against Corey ( 'cept for Billy, who wants to tackle him personally! )."

Why are we trading him again? Do we actually NEED to clear the cap space at this point? The dude was born to wear stripes and has anyone considered maybe he LOVES the Queen's City and the people? Was he screaming "F*** you and your city too!" when he threw his gear into the stands? Or was he saying "This is for you. I love you guys and I've had a sh1te season and I'm mad as hell at all the criticism and splitting time with a guy who is being groomed as my successor?"

Teams are playing on the perceived spat between Corey and the team, banking on him being cut if he isn't traded.. watch the sharks turn on each other if he hits the open market. Have you read the Raiders forums recently? They are arguing over which players to offer us alongside the 3rd rounder! KEEP COREY.

i have been an avid(sp?) corey supporter from day 1. He has been one of the best backs in bengal history. If we flat out cut him because we cant get a trade, that would flat out be the worst move ever. Lewis' offseason would go from a C rating to a D- in my book. Id rather have him on the team, hell we free'd up enough room to keep him just in case we cannot move him. Marvin is a smart man, if he doesnt get what he wants, which im loving(a 2nd round pick), then keep him. I gauranfu**intee you that we either get a 2nd rounder or keep him...there is no fu**in way we cut him.

Why are we trading him again? Do we actually NEED to clear the cap space at this point? The dude was born to wear stripes and has anyone considered maybe he LOVES the Queen's City and the people? Was he screaming "F*** you and your city too!"

Listen. Corey has absolutely destroyed the same team you love, the team referenced in the URL typed in your web browser. He has slammed us, he has destroyed our frame of mind. He has isolated himself. He made Willie Anderson -- whom I think is the captain of the team -- call him a cancer. I understand that he has a ton of yards, and I understand he may be the best back -- again statistically -- the Bengals have ever had; but let's face facts. While he was the running back, he never helped us win. The record proves it.

If someone shouts out, in my local bar, that the Bengals suck; I instantly go on defense -- I have provided too much energy and loyalty to suggest otherwise. That person will instantly be on my s**tlist. OK, I understand it's not that bad, but then again, this is coming from a guy at a bar; not from a player on the actual team.

Dillon has isolated himself from the team. He has created a rift and has established himself as better and bigger than the team, which in itself is contradictory. So while some of you love Dillon, remember that he's the same guy at the bar that shouted out, "THE BENGALS SUCK".

To me, that’s personal. To me, that’s worth not having on my team.

I've been wondering this for four years. :angry:

CPD has been overhyped, inconsistent, overpaid, underachieving, sob, memememmemememememe, quitter ..............puesay bitch

Give me a third rounder and I'm happy, but at this point we should be holding out for a conditional 2005 pick.

I've defended CD in the past but I can't argue with Richmond. He's pretty much dead on. The organization (read: Mike F. Brown) bears a heaping helping of responsibility for creating the monster, but what's done is done, and it's time for Dillon and the Bengals to both move on. Take what we can get & kick him out the door.

I've said since the day after his " trade me to Dallas " speech that Dillon was gone. I've also said that he was an elite running back.

We are geting rid of him because for reasons known only to him he doesn't want to be here anymore and is willing to make as ass of himself and / or go into the tank when the mood strikes him. Just because he's good doesn't mean that he'll do well for the Bengals. I don't think he's quite as bad as his detractors make him out to be or as good as some of his fans feel he still is. He'll still have good games and maybe a couple more good years, but he's already had his best years while he was playing for us.

As for facing him. I think his former team mates would be just as up for the game as he would. We faced good backs in a lot of games this year and did OK. Dillon could hurt us, but he couldn't win the game on his own for our opponent any more than he could for us. If he were able to do that we'd have had a winning record every year he was here.