Who made the trade with the Saints?

walzav29

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/years/1999

The Saints acquired the 5th overall selection from the Washington Redskins in exchange for the Saints' 1st & 3rd through 7th round draft choices in 1999 & New Orleans' 1st & 3rd round picks in 2000. They picked LaVar Arrington and Chris Samuels back-to-back the next year (2000).

Here is an interesting article with a post draft analysis of the Bengals and their rejection of the Saints offer so they could take Akili Smith. Man we have come a long way.

http://www.citybeat.com/1999-04-22/sports.shtml

They really didn't do anything spectacular with all of those picks. I'll just let it go.

You're right, like the Herschel Walker trade did for Dallas, a move like that could have sent Washington to the Super Bowl. That was just not a particularly strong draft. It was still the most idiotic thing of the Mike Brown era. Heck, they could have had all of New Orleans picks and still landed Daunte Culpepper. I always thought he was a much better prospect than Akili, the one year Pac-10 wonder, Smith.

We could have had Joey Porter!!!!!! :o

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/years/1999

The Saints acquired the 5th overall selection from the Washington Redskins in exchange for the Saints' 1st & 3rd through 7th round draft choices in 1999 & New Orleans' 1st & 3rd round picks in 2000. They picked LaVar Arrington and Chris Samuels back-to-back the next year (2000).

Here is an interesting article with a post draft analysis of the Bengals and their rejection of the Saints offer so they could take Akili Smith. Man we have come a long way.

http://www.citybeat.com/1999-04-22/sports.shtml

It reminds me of the guy at the fantasy draft that selects Trent Green three rounds too early, because he just knows he's going to have a great year. Even if Brown was 95% sure Akili would be a great qb, he should know that using a high draft pick on a qb is a crap shoot at best. The 1999 draft was suppose to be qb rich. Akili, Couch, McNabb, McNown, Culpepper, King, Huard, Germaine. All but two turned out to be total bums. There was waaaaaaay too many questions about Smith to burn a top 5 draft pick on him. I think it had less to do about talent and more to do with how much money Brown would have to come up with to pay for the additional picks.

I appreciate Marvin more and more every day.

In hindsight, it's tough lament them passing on the Ditka offer. Objectively, yes, it was a very stupid move. But the reality is that the Bengals appear to have made selections that year with one of those "magic 8 balls" as their primary reference. I mean, it doesn't get much worse than this:

QB Akili Smith

DB Charles Fisher

DB Cory Hall

WR Craig Yeast

RB Nick Williams (Luchey)

DT Kelly Gregg

G Tony Coats

QB Scott Covington

DE Donald Broomfield

All the Saints deal would have likely done, IMHO, is ensure that Mike Brown spent even more money on worthless draft picks that year...

In hindsight, it's tough lament them passing on the Ditka offer. Objectively, yes, it was a very stupid move. But the reality is that the Bengals appear to have made selections that year with one of those "magic 8 balls" as their primary reference. I mean, it doesn't get much worse than this:

QB Akili Smith

DB Charles Fisher

DB Cory Hall

WR Craig Yeast

DT Kelly Gregg

G Tony Coats

QB Scott Covington

DE Donald Broomfield

All the Saints deal would have likely done, IMHO, is ensure that Mike Brown spent even more money on worthless draft picks that year...

Ouch. That is futility defined. My favorite Bengal pick of all time is still Sean Brewer. I loved the expression on Mel Kiper's face as he scrambled to find his Sean Brewer info. You know, like what his favorite brand of bogue was, or how many packs of smokes he burned through a day. I want to know what moron said 'we better hurry up and take Sean Brewer before someone else does'. I think Kiper had him listed as a FA. Those were very dark days my friend. That ranks right up there with starting the season with a delay of game.

I need a hug!

It's all about the Tobins. Let's face it, the difference between that draft and the recent drafts is we actually have guys who know what the picks LOOK LIKE, yet alone play like now.

Not only that, but we have a group that includes Mike Brown, Marvin Lewis, and Duke Tobin that aren't afraid to trade down because they know what they are getting.

It's all about the Tobins. Let's face it, the difference between that draft and the recent drafts is we actually have guys who know what the picks LOOK LIKE, yet alone play like now.

I dunno. I think the Bengals could still use some more heft in their scouting organization, it remains below par. As for Brewer, I give them a pass on him because that same draft netted guys like Chad, Rudi and TJ in the 7th of all places. That '99 draft is, I think, a contender for worst of all time -- but I remain concerned about the '04 crop.

RB Chris Perry

CB Keiwan Ratliff

S Madieu Williams

LB Caleb Miller

LB Landon Johnson

DT Matthias Askew

DE Robert Geathers

T Stacy Andrews

WR Maurice Mann

CB Greg Brooks

QB Casey Bramlet

The only guy that jumps out at you is Madieu...and even that's just on the strength of a single rookie season. Perry is well-plowed-over ground, he still needs to do more. We're already talking about how Ratliff isn't the answer, and how we need to look for CB in the 1st this year. Caleb Miller? His biggest accomplishment to date has been changing his hairstyle from "hobbit" to "stoner." Landon has been a valuable addition but has recurring shoulder injury issues and opinion is mixed on ultimate potential. Askew's nickname is "Mr. Inactive." Geathers did well in sub duty last season but didn't rise to the occasion this year when the Clemons suspension handed him the starting job. Andrews is apparently still a project. Mann and Bramlet are gone, and Brooks looks completely replaceable.

I'm not ready to shoot all of these guys down yet, hopefully we see some breakout performances this season...but for a draft with 11 picks it doesn't appear to be yielding a bumper crop of players so far...

I dunno. I think the Bengals could still use some more heft in their scouting organization, it remains below par. As for Brewer, I give them a pass on him because that same draft netted guys like Chad, Rudi and TJ in the 7th of all places. That '99 draft is, I think, a contender for worst of all time -- but I remain concerned about the '04 crop.

RB Chris Perry

CB Keiwan Ratliff

S Madieu Williams

LB Caleb Miller

LB Landon Johnson

DT Matthias Askew

DE Robert Geathers

T Stacy Andrews

WR Maurice Mann

CB Greg Brooks

QB Casey Bramlet

The only guy that jumps out at you is Madieu...and even that's just on the strength of a single rookie season. Perry is well-plowed-over ground, he still needs to do more. We're already talking about how Ratliff isn't the answer, and how we need to look for CB in the 1st this year. Caleb Miller? His biggest accomplishment to date has been changing his hairstyle from "hobbit" to "stoner." Landon has been a valuable addition but has recurring shoulder injury issues and opinion is mixed on ultimate potential. Askew's nickname is "Mr. Inactive." Geathers did well in sub duty last season but didn't rise to the occasion this year when the Clemons suspension handed him the starting job. Andrews is apparently still a project. Mann and Bramlet are gone, and Brooks looks completely replaceable.

I'm not ready to shoot all of these guys down yet, hopefully we see some breakout performances this season...but for a draft with 11 picks it doesn't appear to be yielding a bumper crop of players so far...

Remember when Lippy WAS our Scouting Department? I'm not too worried about the 2004 draft. Four out of the top 5 picks were solid and includes at least 1 future Pro Bowler. I think Andrews will be Big Willie's replacement and the jury is still out on Askew. Geathers will be o.k. if they ever realize that he is nothing more than a speed rusher. Putting him in the middle is about as effective as putting me in the middle.

I want to know what moron said 'we better hurry up and take Sean Brewer before someone else does'. I think Kiper had him listed as a FA.

We actually know the answer to that question. Bratkowski is on record admitting that he alone had championed the Brewer selection. The only defense Brat offered after Brewer had busted as hard as a pick can bust was a claim that the other TE options he had preferred had been bypassed in each round as the team filled other holes.

Remember when Lippy WAS our Scouting Department? I'm not too worried about the 2004 draft. Four out of the top 5 picks were solid and includes at least 1 future Pro Bowler. I think Andrews will be Big Willie's replacement and the jury is still out on Askew. Geathers will be o.k. if they ever realize that he is nothing more than a speed rusher. Putting him in the middle is about as effective as putting me in the middle.

I hear ya. Like I said, I'm not writing the '04 class off yet...but if the Bengals do take a step back this coming season, don't be surprised if a general failure of this class to blossom isn't a big part of the reason. Year 3 is generally when you judge a draft, so judgement season is coming for them.

Geathers will be o.k. if they ever realize that he is nothing more than a speed rusher. Putting him in the middle is about as effective as putting me in the middle.

Well Jet... I'll take that into consideration. How much do you weigh?

I go about 220 now, but I was one hell of a possession receiver in High School....:) Then I got married and introduced to new words such as dinner and dessert. The beer thing has never changed though.

I think it had less to do about talent and more to do with how much money Brown would have to come up with to pay for the additional picks.

I agree. My beef was that they could have traded some of the picks in 1999 and even 2000 for future picks in 2001, 2002, etc. They would always have had extra ammo to position themselves to get the guy they wanted in the future. It just takes some creativity thats all.

I also think they could have made the trade, traded some of the picks and gotten back into the top 10 to take Smith if he was really the guy that they had to have. I can't see anyone else taking him that high. Again a little imagination would have gone a long way.

I think it had less to do about talent and more to do with how much money Brown would have to come up with to pay for the additional picks.

I agree. My beef was that they could have traded some of the picks in 1999 and even 2000 for future picks in 2001, 2002, etc. They would always have had extra ammo to position themselves to get the guy they wanted in the future. It just takes some creativity thats all.

I also think they could have made the trade, traded some of the picks and gotten back into the top 10 to take Smith if he was really the guy that they had to have. I can't see anyone else taking him that high. Again a little imagination would have gone a long way.

Wow, you're a real football genius. If only the Bengals would have had your insight -your creativity and imagination- everything would have been so different.

Wow, you're a real football genius. If only the Bengals would have had your insight -your creativity and imagination- everything would have been so different.

I feel an F-bomb coming on...... Judging by some of your posts, you and I must be running neck-and-neck for top genius of this here board. Red neck, that is...

Better get back to your John Denver 45s and your mountain momma...

it doesn't get much worse than this:

QB Akili Smith

DB Charles Fisher

DB Cory Hall

WR Craig Yeast

DT Kelly Gregg

G Tony Coats

QB Scott Covington

DE Donald Broomfield

I seem to recall that Kelly Gregg went on to become a pro bowl DT (or perhaps only a pro bowl alternate) with the Ravens. I certainly wish we'd have given him time to develop here.

it doesn't get much worse than this:

QB Akili Smith

DB Charles Fisher

DB Cory Hall

WR Craig Yeast

DT Kelly Gregg

G Tony Coats

QB Scott Covington

DE Donald Broomfield

I seem to recall that Kelly Gregg went on to become a pro bowl DT (or perhaps only a pro bowl alternate) with the Ravens. I certainly wish we'd have given him time to develop here.

I think Gregg was an alternate, and he isnt that great anymore. But I agree we should of givien him more time.