Pittsburgh - The Inside Scoop, Part III

duus

Well guys, here we go again. This one will sit in the losers throat for over 8 months. As you have seen by now, the nation of fans is down on us. We are 2 1/2 point underdogs at home. With the typical 3 points given for home teams, that means most folks are expecting the Steelers to win by almost a touchdown. Smells a bit like it did just prior to the 12/4 game. As I recall, the Steelers were favored by about the same back then as well. Keep in mind, the underdog has won both of the previous games.

I haven't yet had the time for detailed quotes regarding the upcoming came, but you can trust that I have heard (while driving) 100% confidence from the local fan base (callers) and numerous local sports writers/reporters (i.e. Ilkin, Wolfley, and Madden). All have clearly predicted a Steelers victory. All are stating the obvious that the Steelers have the 'mojo' going, while the Bengals have been "sitting back with their feet up" for the last few weeks. As Wolfley commented, "It's very hard to turn the switch back on, and the Steelers have been tried and tested the last four weeks."

Obviously, much, much more to come.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Wolfley commented, "It's very hard to turn the switch back on, and the Steelers have been tried and tested the last four weeks."

Let's take a look at the test.

W Chicago 21-9 (11-5)

W Minnesota 18-3 (9-7)

W Cleveland 41-0 (6-10)

W Detroit 35-21 (5-11)

The first three teams were the same three teams that the Bengals started the season against. And won all three. Yet people gave the Bengals little or no credit for it. Now the Steelers do it and they are world beaters.

NEWS FLASH........These four are nos. 25 through 28 in total offense. Not much of a test for that vaunted defense. While the Bears are the top ranked defense, the other three are in the lower half in the league. Wow. :rolleyes:

Realistically, the Steelers should be favored. Taking all the emotion out of the argument, the Bengals have no playoff experience (except the coach), have the worst defense (statistically) among the playoff teams, and despite the shootout type of victory in Pittsburgh, don't match up particularly well against the Steelers. If the Steelers run the ball well, and Roethlisberger only has to throw the ball 15 or so times, the Bengals will lose. One more thing to consider: the Steelers are healthier than the last game, and there seems to be some question about Carson's health. I'm not making a prediction, but some of the unbridled optimism I've heard so far should, well, be bridled.

Nightly Sports Call TV Show w/ Bob Pompeani

Opened with a couple video clips after today's game:

A confident Hines Ward, "We feel comfortable going into Cincinnati. We feel good about our chances."

Jerome Bettis, giving himself a nice old pat on the back, "I would describe my career as physical, but durable, reliable, dependable. I've been old faithful so to speak."

BP --> "The Steelers appear to be playing the kind of football it takes to win this time of year, and the Bengals are not."

Emailer --> "Many of Ben's throws today were floaters."

BP --> "This team was not as crisp today as it should have been. They got to get better. The fans in Cincinnati are very worried about the Bengals. They are a team just happy to be there."

Caller --> "The Steelers looked awful playing man-to-man coverage today."

BP --> "I like their chances against the Bengals. I don't like the Bengals chances against the run."

BP --> "I look for a similar outcome like the first time the Steelers played them. I look for the Steelers to advance to play Indianapolis in round two."

Caller --> "Why wasn't Hines Ward picked for the Pro Bowl?"

Show ended with two calls concerning the Pirates. Very odd for this town to say the least. All Steelers ... All The Time.

Man, this week is really going to stink living in this obnoxious town. A loss by our Bengals next Sunday will make the entire 2006 year feel the same way. If only we can come up with THE victory that I have longed for for 15 years since I moved here! I want this victory so very much! Come on Marvin, find a way to make this happen!

Go Bengals!

As Wolfley commented, "It's very hard to turn the switch back on, and the Steelers have been tried and tested the last four weeks."

Let's take a look at the test.

W Chicago 21-9 (11-5)

W Minnesota 18-3 (9-7)

W Cleveland 41-0 (6-10)

W Detroit 35-21 (5-11)

The first three teams were the same three teams that the Bengals started the season against. And won all three. Yet people gave the Bengals little or no credit for it. Now the Steelers do it and they are world beaters.

NEWS FLASH........These four are nos. 25 through 28 in total offense. Not much of a test for that vaunted defense. While the Bears are the top ranked defense, the other three are in the lower half in the league. Wow. :rolleyes:

You guys beat those teams early when they hadn't found their niche yet. Chicago and Minnesota were on a roll when we played them. And although Cleveland was a bad team, we absolutely dominated them like it was college ball. Detroit there was no excuse for though.

The Bengals haven't exactly been world beaters as of late.

You guys beat those teams early when they hadn't found their niche yet. Chicago and Minnesota were on a roll when we played them. And although Cleveland was a bad team, we absolutely dominated them like it was college ball. Detroit there was no excuse for though.

Absolutely nobody has said the Bengals have been playing well lately.

On the other hand, it seems that EVERYBODY is giving the Steelers credit for doing well against the same poor teams the Bengals beat earlier in the season.

Weren't the Steeler fans the same people who said the Bengals hadn't been tested by their schedule?

Nobody gets bragging points for beating these four teams. For every fan who says the teams were on a roll, there's another fan saying they were banged up second-stringers. And what exactly were the Browns and Lions playing for?

There's really no point to splitting hairs. Unless your a Steelers fan, I guess.

The more I think about it the more I totally discount that Chiefs game yesterday. In the heat of the moment I was mad, but the morning after I have a different perspective.

Case in point that the Bengals were not really into it and WERE looking forward to the playoffs was the fact that Chad never really talked about a celebration the week leading up to the game! HA! Does that tell you anything!?

But through this week the momentum will build for CIN-PITT III and what happened against the Chiefs will NOT matter in the least!

I expect a very close game that will depend on turnovers and red zone efficiency (TDs vs. FGs).

WHO-DEY!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for another great thread, Duus.

I am sure throughout the week you'll be hearing about how bad the Bengals and how good the Steelers have been of late, and how there will be a repeat of week 7. If you hear a single word out there about a Bengals victory, Hell will freeze over.

Realistically, the Steelers should be favored. Taking all the emotion out of the argument, the Bengals have no playoff experience (except the coach),

Not true.

CB Tory James, 11 playoff games, three starts with Denver and Oakland, signed with Bengals 2003

DT John Thornton, 7, 2, Tennessee, 2003

S Anthony Mitchell 6, 0, Baltimore, 2004

DE Duane Clemons 5, 2, Minnesota, 2003

LB Nate Webster 5, 0, Tampa Bay 2004

RG Bobbie Williams 4, 2, Philadelphia 2004

FB Nick Luchey 3, 0, Green Bay, 2005

TE Reggie Kelly 2, 1, Atlanta, 2003

QB Jon Kitna 1, 1, Seattle, 2001

DL Carl Powell 1, Chicago, 2003

CB Deltha O’Neal, 1, Denver, 2004

DT Bryan Robinson, 1, Chicago, 2005

Thanks for another great thread, Duus.

I am sure throughout the week you'll be hearing about how bad the Bengals and how good the Steelers have been of late, and how there will be a repeat of week 7. If you hear a single word out there about a Bengals victory, Hell will freeze over.

I'm a Steelers fan, and I give the Bengals a shot at victory. The reason you hear so much crap from Steelers fans is that 1. We weren't very happy about the last loss, but were even more annoyed by the teams' comments afterwards and 2. Whether you admit to it or not, the Bengals have been playing terribly since they beat the Steelers. You can't blame people for stating the obvious. The Steelers, on the other hand, have won four in a row against some decent competition, and the confidence is high right now.

I had the sme argument with my dad last night JJAKQ, Everyone talks about how the Steelers are on such a great run now, well look at who they've played the last four games.

If, I remember correctly, some idiot writer bashed us the other week for allowing Detroit to score seventeen on our D, well Pitt gave up 21. Then, you beat the Browns(ooh, that's beeen so hard this year) Vikes were on a winning streak playing no one, and we killed Chicago too.

So, forgive me if I'm not scared

The Steelers, on the other hand, have won four in a row against some decent competition, and the confidence is high right now.

Really? You mean the same "decent competition" that we beat earlier in the season that we got blasted for as being soft? Now that you play them they become decent? Give me a freaking break.

Nice try man, come back when you actually have something to say that makes sense. :wacko:

Then, you beat the Browns(ooh, that's beeen so hard this year) Vikes were on a winning streak playing no one, and we killed Chicago too.

You killed Chicago when Kyle Orton had played, what, 1, 2 games? And they weren't playing well at the time. And the Browns win? This is the same team you would have lost to had it not been for a few crap calls by the refs on Bodden when he was on C. Johnson, who, by the way, kisses the officials' asses so bad they give him every call.

I think the Bungles have beaten one good team at the time they played them, and that was the Steelers, who weren't eactly playing well.

Yeah I think the Steelers will win based on the final weeks of the season and the fact that we have more playoff experience, but I could also see Palmer tear the secondary up because our defensive schemes leave a lot fo holes in the secondary and when one of our D-backs does get their hands on the ball they inevitably drop it. The question will be can Ben win in another shootout and can the D put enough pressure on Palmer to force him into bad decisions.

Can't arue with that, CT, but I doubt you want your team to get into another shootout.

The only way I see you winning this game is to run, run, run, and run some more.

Ben looked sorry yesterday, and I think a shootout plays right into our hands, and I bet we see a good dose of the no huddle right off the bat

Hate to say it, but we are still gonna be done after the Steeler game. As a doc, I am amazed that Rburger can throw at all with his paw --- also, when we go 8 in the box, Heath Miller will likely shred us but that is probably our only chance.

We still do not have good defense play, especially the D-Line. Jay H has gotta go, in fact maybe all the D coaches except the d back staff....

I realize we need better bodies on the D side, but Geathers, J Smith need to produce more. Not sure why Thorn does not do more either. KK is a nice guy but not really a 1st string NFL safety -- nor is Ohalete (who is always willing to hit, but won't use his arms to wrap up and is always out of position). I live in DC and get to see the Skins play a lot..... they have less D talent than the Bengals but they have such creative schemes they make a big difference.

Big needs:

Better D coaches (esp D line)

NEW D tackle (or 2) and End

NEW Strong Safety

NEW TE

Then, you beat the Browns(ooh, that's beeen so hard this year) Vikes were on a winning streak playing no one, and we killed Chicago too.

You killed Chicago when Kyle Orton had played, what, 1, 2 games? And they weren't playing well at the time. And the Browns win? This is the same team you would have lost to had it not been for a few crap calls by the refs on Bodden when he was on C. Johnson, who, by the way, kisses the officials' asses so bad they give him every call.

I think the Bungles have beaten one good team at the time they played them, and that was the Steelers, who weren't eactly playing well.

Yeah I think the Steelers will win based on the final weeks of the season and the fact that we have more playoff experience, but I could also see Palmer tear the secondary up because our defensive schemes leave a lot fo holes in the secondary and when one of our D-backs does get their hands on the ball they inevitably drop it. The question will be can Ben win in another shootout and can the D put enough pressure on Palmer to force him into bad decisions.

I don't see Cowher deviating from the run-early and run-often game plan.

I, for one, am more than ready to admit that the last two week's play doesn't make me feel really good -- mainly the Bills game. Piss. has played well and more or less done what it needed to do. They have been motivated and they took care of business. However, we're going into a situation where much of that probably goes out the window. While the momentum argument is somewhat convincing, consider that Piss. has been going to the well for at least 3 weeks now about how they're already in the playoffs (ie, a loss knocks them out). That can wear on a team and, while there's no shortage of "blackboard material" (real and mostly imagined) floating around this week -- some fatigue may set in from these past games. The Bengals should have no more excuses to coast and now have two good and recent examples of what can happen if they do. So, "momentum" vs. "motivation" may end up pretty much balancing out.

As for X's & O's, nothing new here. We know what they want to do. In Pitt II, Cowher tried to surpise us (was he afraid that the prior gameplan wouldn't work a second time??) by passing all over the yard. According to the Piss. faithful it almost worked (evidence the most consistent theme from them all "we beat ourselves" aka "you needed 4 TO's to win", etc., etc.). So, the only real question is whether Cowher tries to surprise again or come out running it. I believe it will be the run, run and more run. As for the Bengals, the offense has been in neutral for the past 2 weeks and, even as a fan watching almost every play of the season, I'm not sure what we're likely to see. One thing is true, and has been all season, we can win any game in which our offense is clicking. That has to scare not only Piss., but every other AFC playoff team we might face. Nonetheless, based on recent play, there is no question that Piss. gets the pre-game edge because their gameplan is working lately and (unless we've been playing a really good game of possum) our execution has not matched our gameplan.

Finally -- homefield "advantage." Pitt. plays better on the road this season (as do we). We have played some poor games recently at home. I'm not sure why that is -- maybe they try too hard at home? Whatever the reason, we have to play inspired, but controlled, ball this week to win.

This will be a really interesting game -- I have no idea how I'm going to get a single thing done this week.

Exactly. The Bears were owners of an 8 game winning streak at the time, the Vikings a 6 game streak. The Bungles got to play the Bears and Vikings when they were horrible, and Kyle Orton had next to no experience at the time. Yes, teams change over the course of the year. Which is why it's not saying much now that we beat the Chargers on Monday night in San Diego, but at the time it was a big win against a hot team.

There's no need to make an excuse for Detroit, the final score was 35-21. It would have been even worse had the D-backs held on to a few of those INTs.

I think the Steelers are a better team overall, and I would trade maybe two of the Bungles starters for Steelers Starters (Anderson for Starks, Houshmandzadeh for Randle El). Other than those two, I don't see superior talent on that team at any other position.

Exactly. The Bears were owners of an 8 game winning streak at the time, the Vikings a 6 game streak. The Bungles got to play the Bears and Vikings when they were horrible, and Kyle Orton had next to no experience at the time. Yes, teams change over the course of the year. Which is why it's not saying much now that we beat the Chargers on Monday night in San Diego, but at the time it was a big win against a hot team.

There's no need to make an excuse for Detroit, the final score was 35-21. It would have been even worse had the D-backs held on to a few of those INTs.

I think the Steelers are a better team overall, and I would trade maybe two of the Bungles starters for Steelers Starters (Anderson for Starks, Houshmandzadeh for Randle El). Other than those two, I don't see superior talent on that team at any other position.

You are telling me you would rather have ben and his hurt thumb over Carson? If so I have to really question your football wits as would the voters of the Pro Bowl.