defense

cincy9275

this defense is pathetic. very displeased with what i seen today . dline is a joke , l/b 's can't tackle these guys just can't get it done . banged up at saftey some need to get a real starting ss. c/b Ratliff is not ready to start he was torn up today. this unit does have some talent but our dline is just awful . seriously need to be addressed in f/a and the draft. i believe we will win a couple playoff game just on the strength of our offense butt to get where we need to be this has to be fixed and that includes the coach's we are really lacking there also .

First of all we need to fire this terd bresnahan_chuck.jpg

Then we need to hire this master rookies_29.jpg

Our defense lacks the ability to tackle which is huge for a Defense. We need someone who can come in and bring fire and passion...something Marvin Wants and Singletary is that man. Chuck wants our D to be a D that goes just for turnovers and doesnt worry about anything else. Well I will tell you that is a very stupid philosphy to have. AXE Chuck and bring in big Mike

Hello knee, stop jerking in reaction.

This outcome today was pre-ordained. The Chiefs playing with all the emotion and the playoff carrot against a bengals team playing essentially a meaningless game. Completely foreseeable (and indeed, I foresaw it), that Johnson would run wild and the bengals would not match the intensity.

means nothing.

whole new season starting next week. they know what the steelers do. steelers know what we do. game on.

Hello knee, stop jerking in reaction.

This outcome today was pre-ordained. The Chiefs playing with all the emotion and the playoff carrot against a bengals team playing essentially a meaningless game. Completely foreseeable (and indeed, I foresaw it), that Johnson would run wild and the bengals would not match the intensity.

means nothing.

whole new season starting next week. they know what the steelers do. steelers know what we do. game on.

I don't understand how you think this whole new season will be better. Teams play to a whole different level in the playoffs. I haven't seen the Bengals show me anything that says that can match that level.

And the Bengals D has struggled all season. You aren't ranked below 25 in defense because your stopping people. I cannot blindly follow the Bengals and say they are the best thing in the league, but if you can that's good for you.

Buck, we've been through this before, and I know you get your feelings hurt when I am harsh, so I am going to warn you now I am asking you to work on your reading comprehension.

Where did I say the Bengals are the "best thing in the league"? Seriously, where did I f**king say that? a**h***. Learn to paint with a different brush before lumping me in there. For what it's worth, I happen to find you excessively annoying and pessimistic. I am taking NOTHING from today's game. Nothing. The Chiefs played with the fervor of angry men storming a castle. The Bengals were out there not to get hurt. That game was not even close and was not going to be. And then crying man goes out and announces his retirement. And then the Bengals wisely pull Palmer.

So, no, I don't see the need for panty bunching. That game does not lessen their chances against Pittsburgh. It just doesn't. They are the 3 seed. There are two teams better on paper. In no manner are the Bengals faves this post-season. Nor should they be. Their D is suspect. But, for f**kssake, some perspective would not kill you or a few others on here. 11 wins, division champs, they have gone as far as CP and the offense will carry them. They may go a game or two farther. They may not. Who the f**k knows? But jesus christ, stop with the reactionary bulls**t. That's all my plea was. Then you go and accuse me of saying that? f**k you.

I predicted them for 10-6 to start the year. I am pleasantly surprised. Get a life.

If the Bengals don't get turnovers next week, they loose, simple as that. Remember what it took to beat them the Steelers the last time!

Well, it's pretty much been that way for the D all year, so nothing new about that. As I said above, neither the Steelers or the Bengals have any secrets from each other, so it will absolutely come down to the little things.

That game does not lessen their chances against Pittsburgh. It just doesn't.

Yup yup yup. Some people need to have a brew and relax. :cheers:

Last time I checked, the bengals just mailed in a meaningless game against KC while Pitt had to play dwn to the wire to beat Detroit AT HOME.

And people are already flipping out?

Yeesh. Get a grip. We'll be fine. :sure:

Buck, we've been through this before, and I know you get your feelings hurt when I am harsh, so I am going to warn you now I am asking you to work on your reading comprehension.

First, there was no need to repost the whole thing since most of that was a personal vendetta. Secondly, I gathered my opinion regarding your optimistic view through several post not just this one (therefore my reading comprehension is just fine, I think, but then again I could be wrong).

I think it is ridiculous to assume that the defense is going to play better than this in the playoffs, when they haven't played that well all year. Once again, if you take away interceptions against the NFC North even our turnovers aren't that impressive.

Finally, this is a forum where I am free to post my opinion until the point at which I am banned. I'm glad you don't agree with me and my overly pessimistic view, but I can solve your problem. When you see a post by name, feel free to scroll on past. I'm sure you have the will power to do it and feel free.

BTW, if I start a line with "I think" it probably means your about to hear some overly pessimistic comment, so you can scroll past that for sure.

Wah wah wah, I am buck. The Bengals are not perfect. Wah wah wah.

By the way, again, your reading comprehension is sub-par. Awful. Atrocious.

I did not say they were going to play better defensively in the playoffs. I harbor no illusions about the Bengals' D. They will win if their offense if exemplary next week, which is likethe formula for their success has been all year. Nothing new there. Joisey and I have certainly been in the same place on that since day 1.

So, no, buck, I refuse to enjoy another thread where you and others gather to circle jerk over the D and how bad it is. Of course it is bad, it was going to be that all year. They are young and missing a few pieces. But nothing today changes their chances for next week. The question for next week is: can Carson be good enough to get the Bengals up early and put the pressure on the Steelers O, maybe allowing what is good about the Bengals D, their ability to force turnovers to make a difference? There is nothing new there, nothing. Not one thing. It is what they have been about all year, and it has gotten them to 11 wins. Good enough for one more against Pittsburgh? Dunno. Their margin of error remains, with this style, rather thin. For now, I am enjoying it. The D will come along in the next year or two, I suspect. For me, that's good enough. For you? Apparently not.

Yesterday's game was the regular season equivalent to the 27-3 loss to the Eagles in the preseaon. The Bengals were obviously not giving that game their full effort, and you could tell by the infuriated expression Marvin carried up and down the sidelines all game long.

membengal I love your posts. Thank god someone else has some perspective. Before this season if anyone was told we were in this position they'd be creaming their pants. Now that we are there they are finding more s**t to complain about.

Sorry, I didn't expect us to go to the super bowl this year, I'm just really f**king happy you can see clearcut progress from year to year and the true makings of a dynasty for years to come. By the way, like Indy, Seattle, and NE, we had nothing to play for really. Indy squeaked a win against the Cards, Seattle lost to GB, and NE lost to Miami.

Oh well, we got spanked by a good Chiefs team with our 2nd string in most of the game. Our defense is suspect, but is that a big surprise? Oh yea, WE EVEN HAD MATHIAS ASKEW IN! Marvin can't be happy with the performance, but if Askew was finally in, you can tell he wasn't necessarily going for the win.

P.S. How bad did Kitna look???

boy i really started an up roar . like i said i don't think were done bye no means .and i don't wear panties . it is just sad that we got embarrassed bye a lesser team . i understand lj is a great back in the making but i would have like to seen a better showing bye our young guys and backup's. i believe we will be a lot better next year just cause our young guys will be more experienced. but we still need help up front now . but all we can hope for is the guys to play a little better

No need to get your point across while attacking another poster

I don't get you people whining about someone being annoying, I've said this many times before, "What gives you more of a right to be here than anyone else"

Read the forum rules three times, then STFU <_<

If you babies wanna play my dad can beat up your dad, do it with PM's

And if you want to reply to me , PM me, this thread is about defense

That game does not lessen their chances against Pittsburgh. It just doesn't.

Yup yup yup. Some people need to have a brew and relax. :cheers:

Last time I checked, the bengals just mailed in a meaningless game against KC while Pitt had to play dwn to the wire to beat Detroit AT HOME.

And people are already flipping out?

Yeesh. Get a grip. We'll be fine. :sure:

Funny. That wasn't a meaningless game for the Bungles, there's a big difference between the 3rd and 4th seed, despite what Bungles fans would have you believe. Honestly, if you were to win in the WC round, would you rather play Indy or Denver? Yes, me too.

I don't think you saw the game against the Lions, the Steelers won by two touchdowns and dropped about 4 INTs. I wouldn't be so confident going into this game if I were a Bungles fan.

I don't think you saw the game against the Lions, the Steelers won by two touchdowns and dropped about 4 INTs. I wouldn't be so confident going into this game if I were a Bungles fan.

My guess is that there are plenty of "confident" fans over on your home board as well. Fans don't always have the clearest perspective. Even so -- this thread includes numerous posts by Bengals fans suggesting the sky is falling because the defense is playing poorly -- it was, in fact, the beginning point of the whole thread. So, don't feel the need to manufacture confidence or disrespect. The very existence of this thread shows the divergence of fans' feelings, or "confidence" if you will.

On top of that, the steeler fan is just factually wrong. If the bengals really wanted to win that game, they would not have pulled CP after one quarter, sat Levi and O'Neal, pulled Rudi at halftime, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Sure, no one wants to lose, but the bengals also wisely chose to be healthy for this week.

And, steeler interloper, you won't find a lot of confidence on this board in general. What you will find are people plenty aware of this team's shortcomings and too willing to overlook what the Bengals do well. What I don't see is too much willingness from your steeler types to admit you are the 6th seed for a reason, that you lost the division for a reason, and that you have your own shortcomings as a team.

matter of fact, I am reasonably certain that Cowher and Lewis are aware of the shortcomings of their own teams and the others. So, please, i agree with the above, no need to try and manufacture "confidence". Your team will either win or lose next week, as will the Bengals. I am confident of that.

No this isnt just one game...this has been the whole damn season

Not really.

In the last meeting between these two teams in Pittsburgh, the Bengals defense held the Steelers to only 95 total yards rushing, while Big Ben had a career high 384 yards while going 29 for 41. They stacked the line and forced the Steelers to try a beat them with the pass which is always inherently more dangerous to attempt, and lo and behold, they paid a price for it. Result? Bengals win.

Compare that to the 1st meeting in Cincy where the Steelers gained 221 yards in the ground, and Ben threw for a paltry 93 total passing yards. Result? Bengals loss.

My feelings? :cheers: Here's to seeing Ben get another career day, and the bus hitting nothing but stops this weekend. When the Bengals D hold for 100 yards or less rushing, they'll likely come away with the win! :bengal:

This defense has gotten better. Ok very ,very slowly getting better. Thats the problem they should have been much better by now. So who do you blame that on? Coach , players, or injuries. Probably a lil bit of all three things. However the O let them down this game. Your on the field for so long you are going to get worn down. So before you dog these guys out look at those three and outs.

My feelings? :cheers: Here's to seeing Ben get another career day, and the bus hitting nothing but stops this weekend. When the Bengals D hold for 100 yards or less rushing, they'll likely come away with the win! :bengal:

And on the other side, here's a :cheers: to seeing a heavy dose of Rudi Rudi Rudi from Bratkowski. (I know, I know, fat chance, but a guy can dream, can't he?) Pitt has really not been very good against the run in the last four games; they've taken it away primarily by scoring and forcing opponents to go to the air. The gave up 43 on 11 carries to Minny's Bennett, 72 on 14 lugs by Jones in Chicago, 36 yards on 10 carries by Reuben Droughans, and finallly 78 yards on 18 carries by Detroit's Kevin Jones. That works out to their opponents' top backs averaging 4.3 yards a carry.