5 Extra Minutes!!!

kingwilly

I find this excerpt from Hobson's bengals.com posting very telling of what the situation is:

"The word has gone forth, and most likely it has been sent by head coach Marvin Lewis.

As if to underscore the importance of it, the Bengals defense left the practice field about five minutes after the offense Thursday to put in some extra work against formations. "

Please explain to me exactly what you can accomplish in five EXTRA minutes? Maybe adjust your helmet? Maybe have a water break and have Frazier explain that arm-tackling just won't work this week? If you were Barbarian it might be the amount of time it takes to whack one off.

The point is, I doubt that the EXTRA five minutes they spent on formations or whatever is a complete joke. Seriously, if Hobson had written "Fifty extra minutes" I might think, "hmmm. They must be really trying to get this run D in order". But no, he actually makes a point to highlight the FIVE EXTRA MINUTES like that is what is going to make any kind of difference. What a revealing thing about what they are doing.

I am pretty fed up. If the run D gets handled by a crap Browns line and Suggs, I will be first to sign a petition to rid Bengaldom of Frazier.

I am pretty fed up. If the run D gets handled by a crap Browns line and Suggs, I will be first to sign a petition to rid Bengaldom of Frazier.

Arm twisting will not be needed to get my signature! <_<

Yeah, I thought the whole think about pointing out a whole FIVE extra minutes was lame. Hobson is usually better than this for digging up something worth reporting on! :rolleyes:

As if to underscore the importance of it, the Bengals defense left the practice field about five minutes after the offense Thursday to put in some extra work against formations.

First, I'm hoping it was a typo and he meant to write 50 minutes....at least 50! How about 150! More...sure!

Second, if the offense had left the field, whose formations were they practicing against?? I would assume the scout offense team consisting of backups.

It doesn't matter if they put in 5 minutes or 5 weeks, this team is physically not able to play rush defense. There needs to be personnel change before there is a change against the rush.

Ouch.

I'd say we have a pretty "physically capable" team.

I'd be interested to know which people, in particular, are physically unable?

It doesn't matter if they put in 5 minutes or 5 weeks, this team is physically not able to play rush defense.  There needs to be personnel change before there is a change against the rush.

Ouch.

I'd say we have a pretty "physically capable" team.

I'd be interested to know which people, in particular, are physically unable?

2002: Rush defense ranked 22nd

2003: Rush defense ranked 24th

2004: Rush defense ranked 32nd

What's consistent?

Justin Smith, Tony Williams, and Glenn Steele for 2002-3. Then you have Reinard Wilson, recently release by the Bucs and out of the NFL. Or Steele from the last I heard, hasn't signed on with any team right now after being re-released by the Bengals-- I could be wrong on that one.

Then you have Whittington and Ogbogu; have you heard of these guys going to another team? Are they even in the NFL anymore? What about Oliver Gibson? Didn't he sign with Buffalo and then TB? Has he even played a down?

Smith and Williams were both part of a quickly declining rush defense. Then you have Thornton who really hasn't made much movement, or Clemons who's seemingly playing just a pass-rush mode.

When O-linemen lock up with these guys, our boys can't break free and if they can, then it's already 5-yards down field.

Since 2001, the Bengals rush defense is as bad as anyone and it's the lack of size in the middle. These guys are often too small and need to beat the block rather than taking it head on and clogging the rushing lanes.

Watch this Sunday, and watch the Bengals line get pushed back when the o-line is locked up on them. Watch our boys get driven 5 yards backwards... I'm not trying to rip on them, but damn, chop your feet, bury your body into the ground; PREVENT O-LINE FROM MOVING TO THE LBs. Clog up running lanes, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO SOMETHING! Don't just get knocked straight up and pushed back into LB-land..

I'm not trying to rip on them

If they get totally pushed around by Cleveland this Sunday, then by God somebody should!! Yeah, I understand the part of "being behind your team," and all that crap, but jesus! Enough is enough. :angry:

Our D-line has to be the most disappointing unit to date. Only against a very good high school jv line that Miami is trying to disguise as a pro o-line did they look good. We need to upgrade the talent on our line asap.

Unfortunately, a new D-line isn't something you can just order up. The Bengals will have to use free agency to solidify the line, and that carries the burden of convincing players to come to Cincinnati, and that Marvin didn't have a good 1st year as a fluke.

That also doesn't correct the main problem, and thats trying to stop the run for the remainder of this season, 12 more games. Who knows, I'm trying to hold onto my positive outlook, and if things don't improve I'll be positive about Lewis replacing Frasier, and maybe a few others.

If you were Barbarian it might be the amount of time it takes to whack one off.

:lol:

I watched some of the practice from a distance Friday and they were simply running through things in shorts down on the PBS field, it was very much a walk through, which is typical for Friday's. It'll take more than extra five minutes once a week though obviously to correct what's wrong.

In fact I have hardly seen the Bengals out on the practice fields honestly the last two weeks at all, and I have a bird's eye view of the entire complex all day long.

They need an indoor facility badly for one thing, one where they can simulate noise for road games (thus their dismal road record for years now).

I remember Wyche used to take them to the Fieldhouse at St. X to practice for dome games. I haven't heard of them doing that in years.

I don't think the 5 minutes refers to the amout of time they spent working on formations, just that they left the field 5 minutes after the O to go work on formations (presumably on film). That said, I agree with Kirk that the issue isn't one of work (film or practice) but one of personnel. I believe they can improve their run defense, but that improvement will always be limited by the lack of a big run-stuffer or two on the line. (Which reminds me, what's up with Askew? Is he healthy yet?)

Most interesting thing I found in the story was the buried admission by Hobson that the team did indeed have a deal with Gardener that blew up over his bad back. I knew it, you knew it, everyone knew it, but remember Lewis denied there was ever a deal in place...

Anything good from Askew would be a bonus. But he didn't look anywhere ready in pre-season.

Bengals will have to stunt a lot to try to throw the Browns O-line off balance and do stuff like switching Clemons and Justin to the other's normal side with the hopes of blowing up a run or two. They need to turn Hardy loose and have him ram the line on every run, none of that waiting for the cut block to come to him.

Regardless, it bodes ugly. It just a question of how much of the damage can be contained to keep TDs off the board.

Wow. I'm impressed. Did you think of that all by yourself, Free Willy??? You and all your high school friends must have thought of that one after mom helped you log on to this website, huh??? All the while, giggling like little grade school girls???

Actually, you're right. I wished it took me only 5 minutes to whack off. It would save me a whole lot of time and effort. Turning those pages after 30 minutes really does get old. Plus, clicking the mouse on those *special* websites is really getting to my Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Since you're such a journeyman masturbator, do you have any advice for me to make my "sessions" shorter???

:lol::lol::lol:

Now, am I still the "miserable little bitch" this week??? They got trounced by the lowly Expansion Browns!!!! I think you and I have plenty to bitch about.

Wow. I'm impressed. Did you think of that all by yourself, Free Willy??? You and all your high school friends must have thought of that one after mom helped you log on to this website, huh??? All the while, giggling like little grade school girls???

Actually, you're right. I wished it took me only 5 minutes to whack off. It would save me a whole lot of time and effort. Turning those pages after 30 minutes really does get old. Plus, clicking the mouse on those *special* websites is really getting to my Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Since you're such a journeyman masturbator, do you have any advice for me to make my "sessions" shorter???

:lol::lol::lol:

Now, am I still the "miserable little bitch" this week??? They got trounced by the lowly Expansion Browns!!!! I think you and I have plenty to bitch about.

I've been watching "Asain Street Whores" lately. It's pretty good. My wife is going through the pregnancy dry spell. Couldn 't get some a$$ if my life depended on it. :player: