Week 17: Chiefs @ Bengals

HoosierCat

As an OLD fan of the Bengals, how many times has the comment been made that the Bengals front office approach is nothing more than trying to catch lightning in a bottle ??  Well, they need to identify exactly who was holding that bottle and make sure to give them a lifetime extension.  I think the last guy they had to accomplish that made his was to New England and look what happened.  We suffered through the 90's and the Patriots won 6 Super Bowls since our last playoff win.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

As an OLD fan of the Bengals, how many times has the comment been made that the Bengals front office approach is nothing more than trying to catch lightning in a bottle ??  Well, they need to identify exactly who was holding that bottle and make sure to give them a lifetime extension.  I think the last guy they had to accomplish that made his was to New England and look what happened.  We suffered through the 90's and the Patriots won 6 Super Bowls since our last playoff win.

Thing is, last offseason for the first time they didn’t rely on catching a blue bolt from heaven. They were active in FA. They inked guys to one year deals and got creative with the cap — not extensively, but when you never do something and then dip even a toe in, it’s a big deal. They filled holes ahead of the draft instead of opening new ones and constraining their draft flexibility. The old Bengals take Sewell at 5 because they’d never bring in a vet on a one year deal at RT, and certainly not with a void year on his contract. The old Bengals would let WJIII walk but would use a second or third round pick on a replacement, not FA, especially after spending big bucks on a FA DB the season before and having him completely wash out due to injury. The old Bengals would use that as excuse not to spend in FA for the next decade. If they keep doing these things, they just might find some sustained success.

• Like 1

Looking at the tea leaves Hobs is dropping here:

https://www.bengals.com/news/quick-hits-who-joins-burrow-for-a-sunday-rest-zac-backs-chase-for-rookie-prize-l

Sounds like Burrow, Mixon, Hedrickson, Awuzie, Higgins, Wilson, Bell, Hopkins, BJ Hill, Spain, Reader, Hubbard, Ogun, Sample, and Uzomah will all be out or limited. Some due to covid, some injury, some just getting a break.

Also a good point:

For every player on the COVID list for the game they can elevate a player from the practice squad

So if you are wondering why they seem be testing as many players as possible and ending up with a big covid list this week, there's why.

43 minutes ago, Stripes said:

Cool review of the offense learning from its mistakes starting at 15:25.

That was good, thanks. I think Simms is right about Spags, too. He got greedy at the end and screwed up as a result. Should never have called that cover zero. Give the Bengals an easy short gain, let them kick a FG and then give the ball back to Mahomes with three TOs plus the 2 minute warning and worst case scenario you're going to OT.

On 1/5/2022 at 6:01 PM, Stripes said:

(Video Redacted)

What I love about seeing videos like this one is the respect the players from different teams give each other. I'm all for some bad blood and shit talking between rivals but regular games it's great to see some sportsmanship! Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's just stupid beyond measure.  Even if you want to make the argument that the refs made mistakes 60%-40% in the Bengals favor (they didn't).

Do they think Burrow throwing 4 TD's for 446 yards and Chase going 266 yards for 3 TD's just fell out of the fucking sky ??

For some reason I just keep hearing Chad's response.... CHILD PLEASE