The 2019 AFC North Champions...will be...

cincyhokie

(Sarcasm)The Cleveland Browns. Just give them the trophy already. Don't you know they went 7-8-1 last year without beating anyone of substance? They haven't had more than 2 winning seasons since 1994. But hey, they got OBJ. Superbowl Champions.

(End Sarcasm) Never has a team done so little on the actual field and been given so much credit. Similar to 2008 with their fans chanting "Su-per-bowl" at training camp only to go 4-12, the 2019 season will end with a thud for the team up north. The fans, their writers, and everyone is pencilling in 12-4 for a team that had a LOSING SEASON last year. Unreal. Can they go 12-4? Sure. Will they? Not likely.

Too high of expectations, new coaches, new players, no more surprising other teams, no more underdog status to pull from. Any other team would be fairly assessed and cautiously credited. Not Cleveland. So much hype. So much impending disappointment.

I can't wait.

The actual AFCN Champs will be Pittsburgh, btw. Yawn.

I will say that I don't think it's an unreasonable guess to say that Cleveland will win the division.  Their trajectory was very much upward before the big trades, and I don't think those do anything to stall that momentum.  People putting them in the freaking Super Bowl clearly need to calm down, but winning  the division?  That's not an outlandish projection.  It may only take 10 or 11 wins, and that's not impossible for the Browns.  I expect about 9.

They didn’t beat anyone. When they played playoff teams they got stomped. 

Sure, they could walk away with the division. Just like the 2018 Jaguars were supposed to...and the 2008 Browns.

I would take the under all day on 9 wins. I could see 9 but no more than that.

51 minutes ago, cincyhokie said:

A 24 point 4th qtr. rally against the Ravens comes to mind. We’re the Bengals preseason faves coming into 2005? I can’t remember.

They were a pretty popular chic pick to challenge for the division.  Those Ravens finished 9-7 (which doesn't diminish the significance of that game to us and especially to Carson Palmer).  It's a distant parallel anyway, so the relevance is minimal.

I think the best argument for the Browns this season might be that the AFC North sucks.

FYI, the Bengals outscored the Browns last season (total points).

This was without their starting QB for 5 games and missing AJ Green for the last several games. And Tyler Eifert missing 13 games. And the AFCs leading rusher missing 3 games. They still outscored the Browns.

The Steelers will look much different without both AB and Bell. I truly think they underestimated the impact that is going to have.

The Browns don’t worry me at this point, but they are an improved team for sure.

The Ravens seem to be very confused about their identity and what will their QB is going to be expected to do.

Those are the reasons I say there are scenarios where the Bengals could contend. Many questions for all teams in the AFCN.

On 4/19/2019 at 4:18 PM, cincyhokie said:

A 24 point 4th qtr. rally against the Ravens comes to mind. We’re the Bengals preseason faves coming into 2005? I can’t remember.

2005 was all Steelers.   Ben went 14-1 as a rookie in 2004 and lost in the AFC champ game to Patriots.  Bettis put off retirement for a shot to come home and play in Detroit Super Bowl. 

I would venture to say in all the Bengals Division champ years 2005, 2009, 2013, and 2015 they were never a clear cut favorite. 

I was highly confident in 13 and 15.  But it seems like the Bengals were always picked as the playoff team that won’t make the playoffs. 

The Browns do seem like they are on the up swing.   I would be annoyed if they won the North. 

There is a very Cubs feel about the Browns.  Loveable losers. 

I think the Bengals will be in the mix.  It’s just overlooked they were one of the youngest teams last year.  1 minute from 5-1.  Gave up.   Then injured. 

I think a lot of the team checked out after loss to Pitt and embarrassment to KC. 

Bengals give the vibe of old team because they had young successful starters for years in Dalton, Green, Dunlap, Atkins.   Those guys are in prime years next 4.  

I loved seeing the Browns sweep the Bengals last year.
Then, right as I was about to really have something positive to say about them, their stupid ass fan base makes their appearance and ruins the whole thing.
I hope they lose every damn game this year and yes, I would be annoyed by them winning the North as well.

I still have no idea who will win the AFCN when looking at all the changes for the teams.

I find most fans to be a real challenge to be around and one reason I enjoy watching from home.
You just can't fix stupid and Cincinnati Bengals fans are not immune to this.

I typically catch games in Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Houston in any given year and I prefer both Indy and Houston to Cincinnati fans.
There will always be those people that just aren't happy unless they are stupid drunk, cussing, fighting, and being assholes in general.
Cincinnati and Pittsburgh games bring out such a large contingent of idiots, that they should bomb the stadium to reduce that population of asshats.

Well I was commenting on the average fan in everyday life, but you are correct about stadium idiots.   In everyday life the biggest jerk fans I have ever come across are Browns or Stealer fans and they don't just become assholes on game day.  It seems to be a life goal for some of them to be as obnoxious as possible.  They need to remember it is only a game, and matters nothing at all in life.

I attended the game in Detroit in 2005 that was an orange out in protest to Matt Millen being GM of the Lions and after the win Bengals fans were being jerks and I was embarrassed to be a fan of the same team of many of them.

I’ve been to Pittsburgh for a game. IMO,  classy fans.

Steeler fans that aren’t from Pitt seem to be more of the asshole type because they chose to be a rival fan in the home town team’s territory and carry some sort of chip on their shoulder.   

Honestly, I think a lot of that has to do with band wagon jumping and those types are more likely to mix emotions with favorite team success and satisfaction in their own personal life.

I’m sorry you are visiting Steeler fan from Columbus,OH.  I don’t care how long you say you’ve loved the Steelers and why.  Don’t bring the towel to an away stadium and think everyone should be accepting. 

At least that’s my take.  

Cleveland Browns fans are just plain trash. 

I figure the Ravens by default. 

Steelers are losing prima donna players at an alarming rate, and Ben is getting called out by some guys, defended by others, all equals drama! 

Browns look loaded for bear but they have a rookie coach and the hype is almost too much.  One must assume a market correction.  Also, their owner is a lying, stealing, piece of crap so Karma seems destined to reign. 

Our Bengals are a year or so away from having enough good players to realistically compete, UNLESS our new coach is some kind of wizard, which seems unlikely. 

Ravens meanwhile are solid, have the type of QB who can win regular season games with his arm/leg combo, and have the best coach in the division.  

16 hours ago, COB said:

I figure the Ravens by default. 

Steelers are losing prima donna players at an alarming rate, and Ben is getting called out by some guys, defended by others, all equals drama! 

Browns look loaded for bear but they have a rookie coach and the hype is almost too much.  One must assume a market correction.  Also, their owner is a lying, stealing, piece of crap so Karma seems destined to reign. 

Our Bengals are a year or so away from having enough good players to realistically compete, UNLESS our new coach is some kind of wizard, which seems unlikely. 

Ravens meanwhile are solid, have the type of QB who can win regular season games with his arm/leg combo, and have the best coach in the division.  

An argument can be made for each team to win the division.  The Bengals stay healthy and they are very competitive.  The Browns live up to half of the hype and they will be good, ,lot of pressure and they still have not learned how to win yet.

The Stealers look depleted and Ben is old.  The Ravens are using a gimmick QB, that can be forced into bad decisions if you stop the run game.

Most wide open division to start the year in a long while.

• Like 1

The energy around the Browns right now reminds me of the 2009 and 2010 NY Jets. Those were good teams that fed off of energy and playing the underdog. But that kind of mentality and bravado only goes so far. 

Will that be the Browns future? I doubt it. Even if Mayfield drops off and becomes a head case, their new GM seems to have a plan. 

But I do think that the buzz right now around the Browns is more hot air than substance. You're going to hear a thud in the 2019 season. And it's going to be the Browns coming back to earth.