Positivity Thread - What to look forward to

cincyhokie

8 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

Mo Egger and Tony Pike were talking today about how the Bengals FO approach has the Bengals in no man's land. Not good enough to do anything in the AFC, not bad enough to land a franchise QB. They were promoting tanking. Trade the cornerstone players like Dalton, Green, Atkins, and Dunlap to acquire draft pick ammunition to get Tua or even Trevor Lawrence. Then using that rookie contract and building the team to go on a run. I think that's actually a good move. This team isn't going anywhere ala the 2014-2018 Reds. Do something. Be good or be interesting. Don't be bad and uninteresting. 

Even with all of this bullshit the past few weeks, I still feel like Zac Taylor gives us the best chance of pushing the Bengals into the 21st century. It may not happen this year. I see another 6-10 season with a mid round pick. But I like Taylor's supposed mindset coming from the Rams and being young. Long term, I'm still more hopeful than I was last season.

I think Mo is full of shit.  Two years ago he’s telling us the Bengals are among the best run  because they don’t do things like the Reds.

Also I’m not in favor at all of the Cleveland Brown plan.

Bengals will be better than a lot of people think right now.  They are actually having a solid offseason. 

Bengals were young and injured last year.  They’ll get younger this year or as young. 

Dropping to 2-14 ranks isn’t going to make them interesting with a bunch of draft picks. Mo will just switch gears.

Bengal fans got their GM back in 2010.  They know what they are doing and it will bring the talent and then it’s up to the coach/players. 

I have no interest in seeing an already boring ass team get rid of the only players I really truly like.  That would simply make them intolerable.
The front office is already very close to making this team intolerable. 

If this team continues to fail, does anyone think Zac Taylor will be enough to keep tickets sales up ??  I don't think so.
I think fans are also smart enough to know how the front office does business and the stadium will again be empty.
Don't tell me they don't care about selling tickets and suites either, because Marvin would still be here if they didn't.

Amphar, maybe we have different understandings of what a "Solid Offseason" looks like.
Outside of a slot corner, what has this team done to improve itself heading into this coming season ??
Nothing.  They haven't even made the appearance that they care.  It's still the hope and pray strategy to this point.

Hate the Browns all anyone wants, but they have the money and are at least trying to build a team.  You can't buy draft picks with that money.
Maybe they fail, but they brought in very good pieces to help their 2nd year QB and bolster their defense.  The Bengals can claim neither.
Lets also not forget that the Browns were already a better team than the Bengals and swept them in 2018 with a rookie QB.

I'm too old to sit back and let my desire to see the Bengals win blind me to the reality that is.
The reality is still a front office that has never built a winner and who's philosophy will continue to limit that from happening.
I really don't know why I care at all.

I think purposefully tank is too strong of a term. More like rebuild. But, anyway, what is the Bengals plan? To go 8-8? There’s no way in hell they’re going to be able to compete in the AFC with that O line and LB corps alone. Then the fact that Dalton isn’t the guy to get them over the top. Oh 2015 was great. But unless the Bengals can create another one year perfect storm anomaly for him, all I see is 6-10 to 9-7.

Yaaaaaaawn! 

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

I need to go place a large bet that the Bengals finish with a losing record...

I’m very curious what the number on this will be.  Miles away from even money, I can tell you that.

The only thing that makes me think they won’t get swept in the division is that it looks like the chickens are coming home to roost in Pittsburgh.  My whole 2019 NFL season may be just gloating over the Steelers descent into shit show/dumpster fire/train wreck status.  That and hoping against hope we can forget the 6 wins we’re now lined up for and just take 15 Ls and go collect a franchise quarterback on draft day.

12 hours ago, GapControl said:

Does anyone know how much the bengals have spent so far on players this offseason ?

Hart, Preston Brown, CJ, B.W., and Eifert represents

24 mil in cap room and 31 mil cash to be spent this year.

John Miller details are not out there yet. 

On 3/17/2019 at 4:10 AM, AMPHAR said:

They’ve spent a decent amount.  They could have still signed some higher ranked FAs though... where is that 98% of the cap every 3 years that I’m not seeing ?  Next year for AJ Green and Andy or Andy’s replacement going to make it balance out?

I have no idea about the floor of cap spending and how that’s determined/calculated.  I figured you’d see a NFLPA complaint if they weren’t.  

Bengals seem to sneak in late summer extensions to their prospective FAs the next year.  That is forgotten and disregarded by everyone this time of year.  

The Geno/Dunlap extensions cost them $65 mil cash 2018 and 2019.  

Agree or disagree the Bengals are not going to drop that cash on players they don’t know but yet those 2 players would be top FAs this year and grab that type of money.  Pull those extensions off in March and their offseason is getting rave reviews.

But everyone lives in the moment. So we are treated with the mentality that they haven’t done anything and are doomed. I’ve yet to see one independent media person mention Geno or Dunlap.  

I rarely recall media people jumping up and down telling us the Bengals would win a division in the years they almost did 3 years in a row. Overwhelming majority picked them to fall out of the playoffs.

Bengals can’t win a playoff game and thus their methods aren’t respected and shouldn’t be until they do. 

I personally think they messed up in keeping coaches too long that also scout players and have more ownership in drafting.  Human nature is what it is and you are always going to see that tiny % of HOF ability over the rest that says 3rd string.  

They had large amounts of talent but never got the best results out of them. 

There are a ton of great NFL teams that are forgotten about or disregarded because they didn’t reach the Super Bowl. 

The 2013-2015 Bengals are right up there with every “missing rings” NFL network episode.

IMO, having talent wasn’t the issue.  But now they trying to reload the gun and they’ve clearly missed on O-line draft picks.  

At the same time the failure rate of the offseason FA champs is quite high.

Typically those teams are responding to past personnel mistakes.

For example:  

The Bengals got good reviews last year for a trade of Glenn.  But that’s because they drafted two tackles that couldn’t block themselves out of a wet paper bag. 

That’s also caused the spawning of Hart.  More FA dollars towards a non-drafted player covering a hole.

Now everyone hates the Hart move but if they went out and grabbed a higher ranked but still bad RT everyone would sit and applaud like they did Glenn last year who turned out to be not really great at all. 

I love your enthusiasm about the Bengals AMPHAR.  I really do.  I don't agree with it all, but I just don't care enough to debate further.

I enjoy football and really enjoy the draft, but the Bengals have a history of doing things that have NEVER produced results. (See win championships or even one)
I find it very challenging to continue to be upbeat about the outcome for them.  I'm simply too old now and have better things to do with my time.

I will keep coming here and chatting it up, watch the draft, and then follow for a little while.  However, that will fade quickly and so will the Bengals.
If they happen to make it to the playoffs, no one would be happier, but I expect them to fail at almost every given opportunity.

That has everything to do with Mike Brown and those who run the front office.  I simply strongly dislike them.

4 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I love your enthusiasm about the Bengals AMPHAR.  I really do.  I don't agree with it all, but I just don't care enough to debate further.

I enjoy football and really enjoy the draft, but the Bengals have a history of doing things that have NEVER produced results. (See win championships or even one)
I find it very challenging to continue to be upbeat about the outcome for them.  I'm simply too old now and have better things to do with my time.

I will keep coming here and chatting it up, watch the draft, and then follow for a little while.  However, that will fade quickly and so will the Bengals.
If they happen to make it to the playoffs, no one would be happier, but I expect them to fail at almost every given opportunity.

That has everything to do with Mike Brown and those who run the front office.  I simply strongly dislike them.

I agree with you on the championship part.

I just don’t think Mike Brown has much to do with roster anymore.  

I think Mike and Katie got lazy because they liked Marvin.

But at the end of the day, no championships.

However, I’m 100% certain the next time the win Div Championship,  or Conference Championship or Super Bowl , lol, it won’t be predicted in the preceding offseason by the pundits. 

I lump them all in.  They all play a part in the overall philosophy of how the Bengals are run.
We as fans "Have no idea how hard it is to run an NFL franchise".

I bet I can formulate a good guess that however it goes, it's not like what has been done here.
Something they do simply does not equate to winning. 
Fans don't need to know the details to be able to figure that out.
It's why they are staying away.

Mike Brown, Katie, Troy, whomever....
YOU ALL SUCK AT DOING YOUR JOBS !!!

23 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

But at the end of the day, no championships.

And that won't change for the next few years as "Zac Co-Ordinator Taylor and his College Crew" get to grips with sitting at the table for proper big boys in the NFL

1 hour ago, Scottishbengal said:

And that won't change for the next few years as "Zac Co-Ordinator Taylor and his College Crew" get to grips with sitting at the table for proper big boys in the NFL

That's what happens when you ask for help and the Big Boys give you Bobby fucking Hart.

On 3/16/2019 at 3:10 PM, AMPHAR said:

With J. Miller another $7.8m cash spent and $5.2 cap used.

So about $39mil cash spent this year about $29 mil cap room.

Not counting Dennard who is rumored at 3 years $21m. await the details. 

Just read a thing on the owners meetings.  They voted to expand instant replay to allow teams to challenge pass interference calls and non-calls.  

The owners voted 31 to 1.  Mike, at the meeting to represent the 1950s, was the lone no vote.  He doesn’t like challenges and reviews in any way, shape, or form.  

I use to think it was amusing when he was the lone NO vote.  That time has long past.
It just goes to show how he has not kept up with how the game has and will continue to change.
ALL the other owners got it wrong huh ??  You're the only one who really knows what going on ??

Look I get it, you don't like replay.  However, change comes for us all.
He's more an old embarrassment than anything else.

"Represent the 1950's"
Classic and spot on.