Preston, Andrew Brown both to IR - done for season

ShulaSteakhouse

Middle linebacker Preston Brown, who before this season hadn’t missed a game since high school, became the sixth regular to go on the injured reserve list Tuesday and his first season as a Bengal is over.

In what looked to be a vote of confidence in Hardy Nickerson replacing Brown in the middle the Bengals replaced Brown on the roster with 6-2, 253-pound free-agent defensive end Kasim Edebali.Edebali, a pass rusher in his fifth season out of Boston College, broke in undrafted with the 2014 Saints and played with them from 2014-16 before spending time last year with the Broncos, Lions and Rams and then rejoining the Saints late in the season.Edebali was waived by the Saints in May, and then spent preseason with the Bears before being released at final cuts. He has played in 61 career games, and has 55 tackles, including eight sacks, three passes defensed and a forced fumble. The Bengals are looking for some juice on the edge after end Carl Lawson tore his ACL Oct. 28 against the Buccaneers.

Brown, a fifth-year player who led the NFL in tackles in Buffalo last season before signing a one-year deal with his hometown Bengals, injured his knee in the third quarter of the Nov. 11 game against New Orleans. But he hasn’t been right since he hurt his ankle in the opener.

The Bengals also shelved rookie practice squad defensive tackle Andrew Brown for the season after he broke his hand in practice last week. 

The last time I remember this many injuries was the year Fitzpatrick came in and they ended up going like 4 and 12 or something..oh and that colts playoff game where practically the entire WR core was gone!

Has there been this many injuries to key players in any other season of Marv Ball?

It’s a near miracle if they make the playoffs with this squad of guys now.

15 hours ago, GapControl said:

The last time I remember this many injuries was the year Fitzpatrick came in and they ended up going like 4 and 12 or something..oh and that colts playoff game where practically the entire WR core was gone!

Has there been this many injuries to key players in any other season of Marv Ball?

It’s a near miracle if they make the playoffs with this squad of guys now.

For whatever reason(s) this seems to be a hallmark of Marvin's teams, a lot of that is  his penchant for hanging onto and drafting oft-injured players or players who were injured when he drafted them (see Rivers, Burfict, Eifert, Andre Smith, Ross, Cedric, Dennard etc.., etc.,).  So when you combine the always-injured guys he clings to with the usual run of injuries - it can seem like the Bengals' are a "victim of bad luck."  AJ Green is another one, despite having a couple of recent healthy years, you can expect will break down more often as he gets older due to his frame/build and the crazy throws from Dalton he has to go up and catch in traffic etc..., all the time.

I have not researched this theory, but feel like it has some merit.

In any case, I like this mock draft pick projection: 

20. Cincinnati Bengals | Mack Wilson | LB | Alabama

Few defenses have been more frustrating to watch in 2018 than this one, and the lack of a true playmaker at the second level is a big reason why. Wilson has the complete skill set to make plays in coverage, against the run, and even get after opposing quarterbacks on the blitz.

5 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

For whatever reason(s) this seems to be a hallmark of Marvin's teams, a lot of that is  his penchant for hanging onto and drafting oft-injured players or players who were injured when he drafted them (see Rivers, Burfict, Eifert, Andre Smith, Ross, Cedric, Dennard etc.., etc.,).  So when you combine the always-injured guys he clings to with the usual run of injuries - it can seem like the Bengals' are a "victim of bad luck."  AJ Green is another one, despite having a couple of recent healthy years, you can expect will break down more often as he gets older due to his frame/build and the crazy throws from Dalton he has to go up and catch in traffic etc..., all the time.

I have not researched this theory, but feel like it has some merit.

In any case, I like this mock draft pick projection: 

20. Cincinnati Bengals | Mack Wilson | LB | Alabama

Few defenses have been more frustrating to watch in 2018 than this one, and the lack of a true playmaker at the second level is a big reason why. Wilson has the complete skill set to make plays in coverage, against the run, and even get after opposing quarterbacks on the blitz.

I thought Eifert was healthy in college?  And Carl Lawson should be on the list.  Just blew his ACL. He was injured constantly before he turned pro.

i don’t know if any of u guys lifted when you played football but in my time, we had just figured out what creatin was.  I played basketball and baseball but I knew guys on the football team.  One thing  that experience taught me was that taking shit to change your natural body has consequences.  It happened to me later on after college where I’d get really strong but always slightly injure something.  Just think if you are doing Peds, HGH, or even roids.  Your body just wasn’t meant to do what you are forcing it to do.  My uncle played university baseball back in the late 70s and 80s and he said they were eating amphetamines like candy to get an Advantage.  The bengals know what guys are relying on enhancement drugs and need to quit taking the risk on them.

also, I agree with taking an LB.  Army was right last year.  I didn’t see how crap the LBs were until the season started but it’s obvious now 

17 hours ago, GapControl said:

I thought Eifert was healthy in college?  And Carl Lawson should be on the list.  Just blew his ACL. He was injured constantly before he turned pro.

i don’t know if any of u guys lifted when you played football but in my time, we had just figured out what creatin was.  I played basketball and baseball but I knew guys on the football team.  One thing  that experience taught me was that taking shit to change your natural body has consequences.  It happened to me later on after college where I’d get really strong but always slightly injure something.  Just think if you are doing Peds, HGH, or even roids.  Your body just wasn’t meant to do what you are forcing it to do.  My uncle played university baseball back in the late 70s and 80s and he said they were eating amphetamines like candy to get an Advantage.  The bengals know what guys are relying on enhancement drugs and need to quit taking the risk on them.

also, I agree with taking an LB.  Army was right last year.  I didn’t see how crap the LBs were until the season started but it’s obvious now 

I was referring to re-signing him this year (Eifert).  Even Price was injured when they drafted him, despite his college history (and proceeded to get injured again, miss some camps etc..,), maybe just stop drafting injured players as a way of increasing odds against it happening again? Just stop drafting injured players regardless of their situation (maybe now they will).

I don't know, it just seems like Marvin and injuries go hand-in-hand for some reason.  It could be for a variety of reasons I don't know about,  including a lot of bad luck, I don't know ultimately, but they sure do draft and hold onto a lot of injured players until they really start to add-up on the roster and cause issues.