Tale of the tape - Chunk Den TDs

AMPHAR

Only a couple of plays to take a look at from All-22.   Might do another one on Ced/Bodine.     Not going to go back and state what everyone knows.   They dropped Ints in a critical scoring drive.  They kept Denver on the field with penalties.  I believe Denver had 5 first downs via penalty and the majority helped in scoring drives.     But a look at 2 critical chunk plays.

Conclusion:  Good play calls by Denver catching Bengals being confused on 3rd downs and Denver beating the CB 1 on 1.   Mano y Mano they won.

1st Long TD.  3rd and 5.    Broncos come out in multiple Flanker with 2 up top and Sanders down to the bottom all in tight inside the numbers.   Bengals open up in a deep safety in the middle look with Pac Man playing off on the bottom and CBs playing press up top.    Broncos motion the TE up top overloading that side.   Snap of the ball, only 3 Broncos go into the pattern keeping 7 into block.   2 of the 3 routes are up top and 2 various depths.   The third route is at the bottom and heading up field and widens outside the numbers.   Pac was playing off so it's a free release to get this position.   This effectively does two things.   It freezes the deep middle safety (Iloka) for enough time not to help Pac 1 on 1.   The Broncos keep 7 into block BUT the Bengals effectively only rush 4.  As the other LBs/S are standing trying to determine if their guys are going to block or release into the pattern.   They don't.    Sanders gets away with a late push to get final separation and into the endzone he goes.   TD.

2nd Long TD.  3rd and 11.  Critical call and a great one.  Bengals open once again in Deep Middle Safety (Iolka).   Broncos bunch formation up top loading that side.   The Bengals had to sub in Lewis-Harris as Pac got dinged making the tackle the play before.   Thomas is lined up wide outside the numbers at the bottom.   Once again only 3 Broncos go into the pattern.  Keep 7 in.  Because of the bunch formation up top, Iloka heads straight for the bunch to assist and that effectively takes him out of any chance to help to one on one below.   The Bengals effectively only rush 4/5 as the other defenders are standing around looking for something to do.   Iloka realizes too late that only 2 have gone into the Pattern and the ball is delivered with Lewis-Harris providing good coverage but Thomas makes the play and then into the endzone he goes.

Interesting that one of the commonalities is that a chunk of the back seven appear to be standing around looking for something to do. There was a report yesterday out of Miami, where Coyle was coaching last year, that some Bengals players are chafing at his coaching. Specifically they feel he's coaching not to lose versus coaching to win. Obviously I have no idea if the report has any truth, but the apparent defensive hesitation on these two plays could be a symptom of that. Players too worried about getting burned to be aggressive hunting the ball. There are other possible reasons, but it's worth keeping this one in mind IMHO.

It worries me about all the confusion with the DBs. This is not the only time this year that there seems to be confusion. Sure past years I'm sure there was nothing is perfect, but I remember Nelson back there being the QB of the defense backs. When I look this year who is back there making calls?

Also who's idea was it to put CLH one on one with no help against the Denvers WR? That could have been one of the most stupidest ideas all game. 

Hopefully they get there act straight starting this week. It's amazing how upset we were to lose Coyle, now I'm not sure I want him back lol. Not sure if the report about him is true or if it's just some Miami guy trying to start crap with the game coming up.

Well, like Amphar said CLH was in because Pacman got shaken up. They took a shot at him and won.

Yeah, like I said, there could be other reasons for defensive hesitation/confusion too, and losing Nelson is one of them. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a combination of factors: new coaching/emphasis by Coyle, loss of experience in Nelson and Hall, and the absence of Burfict who is a very instinctive player.

As to who is making the calls I think it's Vinny Rey. But I'm not sure.

I have no idea but on the last TD.   Lewis-Harris Clark pointed at Thomas after the ball was snapped and Shawn Williams was standing next to Hunt do nothing in what looked like they were both waiting to jump and tip a short throw.

So my guess is the Lewis-Harris had deep responsibility and another player was supposed to cover the zone underneath.   Lewis Harris seeing the underneath zone not covered probably lost a half step, although his coverage was good just Thomas made the play.

And no surprise the Bengals have slipped out of the top 10 in the Power Rankings.

Ranking All 32 Teams Based on Week 3, and Previous Performances:

#1 New England Patriots (3-0)

#2 Denver Broncos (3-0)

#3 Minnesota Vikings (3-0)

#4 Philadelphia Eagles (3-0)

#5 Green Bay Packers (2-1)

#6 Pittsburgh Steelers (2-1)

#7 Baltimore Ravens (3-0)

#8 New York Giants (2-1)

#9 Carolina Panthers (1-2)

#10 Seattle Seahawks (2-1)

#11 Kansas City Chiefs (2-1)

#12 Cincinnati Bengals (1-2)

#13 Atlanta Falcons (2-1)

#14 Houston Texans (2-1)

#15 Dallas Cowboys (2-1)

#16 Arizona Cardinals (1-2)

#17 New York Jets (1-2)

#18 Oakland Raiders (2-1)

#19 Indianapolis Colts (1-2)

#20 Washington Redskins (1-2)

After #20 nobody gives a crap.

Both had good play design. Jones is rarely beaten deep, the small push off helped. 

CLH cone in cold and had to cover a revd up Thomas with his S looking befuddled. CLH had decent coverage, tbh so, again, they made a play. I'm not sure there were any obvious breakdowns but I would have liked to see Iloka over the Thomas play, deliver a hit to disrupt the catch. 

These big plays happen but it's the job of the D to get the take-aways when they present. The O has to make its share of plays, which were absent versus a really good D. 

Winnable game now lost. On to Miami, so they say. 

Seeing as how I thought they would be 1-2 at this point, I have no concern with people bagging on them or dropping them in a mean nothing ranking.
I further had them going on a complete tear the rest of the way.  My concern now in regards to my initial thoughts are, "HOW" they got to 1-2.

While I still think this is a very good team, especially when Eifert and Burfict are back, there are greater concerns than I first thought.

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

Seeing as how I thought they would be 1-2 at this point, I have no concern with people bagging on them or dropping them in a mean nothing ranking.
I further had them going on a complete tear the rest of the way.  My concern now in regards to my initial thoughts are, "HOW" they got to 1-2.

While I still think this is a very good team, especially when Eifert and Burfict are back, there are greater concerns than I first thought.

I agree. Where we stand after the bye will give us a real indication of the potential of the team. Missing key pieces like Eifert and Burfict is tough but they'll be back. LNR has done an admirable job filling in for Burfict, he's a real pro. Uzomah and Kraft display potential but are well below what Eifert offers.

what is a glaring weakness has been the other wide outs. LaFell and Boyd are not quite producing on key downs, whether first or third down. AJ simply cannot carry the team, no matter how good he is (and we all agree he's one of the best).

maybe they need a creative way to address this. We've seen barely any Burkhead, and not much of Gio in the slot. Mixing it up, creating mismatches. Or, maybe there's a team who could use a Vet LT, and we could obtain another highly prouductive WR. Vikings LT went down, others have big holes via injury, maybe they consider moving Patterson (who could probably use a change of scenery to maximize his potential). Or, Sending Whit to Indy for TY or Moncrief could be interesting. Whit has maybe this and another year to be a a productive LT, then he can decide if he should kick inside to LG. 

Just spitballing here but the lack of field stretching threats is hurting this team, losing Jones was a big deal.

No red zone passing TDs is concerning.   Outside the first week haven't been able to get the ball down the field.   Secondary has given up the goose two weeks in a row on chunk plays.

We'll see what happens but there isn't a single theme of yet other than this predictable tough start has proven to be just that.   So hopefully they can get a complete game against the Dolphins.

I'm so glad they have a short week because the way they lost vs. Den was frustrating.    I would like to do a positive one of these soon.   

3 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

No red zone passing TDs is concerning.   Outside the first week haven't been able to get the ball down the field.   Secondary has given up the goose two weeks in a row on chunk plays.

We'll see what happens but there isn't a single theme of yet other than this predictable tough start has proven to be just that.   So hopefully they can get a complete game against the Dolphins.

You mentioned missing Nelson and that is likely a big part of the lack of preventing big pass plays.

• Like 1