First Round #21: OT Cedric Ogbuehi

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bengals resemble the feeling you got when you were little playing in the sand on the beach. Scoop away the sand to make the hole you're digging bigger only to have it be immediately filled up with sand. Address one area, only to see another area expose itself with an issue. 1 step forward, 1 step back. Status quo.

Bengals feel he was a top 5 pick if not injured. He may be but what pisses me off is now we get a guy who won't even see the field. This team needs help now

Can't argue. You just can't use your top pick on a guy who won't contribute. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Were there no OT's that could have been drafted to replace A. Smith next year? I can see the idea with getting a top 5-10 value pick but man...how do you let the holes on the D-line and at LB keep getting overlooked? How do you not pick someone to take over for Peko or at least improve the defensive depth?

It's like they locked onto this pick from the beginning knowing that they wanted an OL to step in next season AND knew that this guy was for sure going to be there at #21. It makes you wonder if that was the case, why not trade BACK and still get him? Head scratcher.

Yeah I was wondering about the trade back option myself but they just might not have had any offers. Not a lot of trades this year, kind of a meh draft.

Agree with the locked-on theory. This was the plan all along, as seen in Marvin telegraphing that the first round pick didn't have to play this year.

They reached on a player a round higher than he should have been drafted. Good player no problems with that but it is further evidence that the Bengals still do not understand draft positioning. Landen Collins or Shaq Thompson or Malcom Brown would have been better choices and you wait to see if Ogbuehi or Smith or Fisher or Clemmings is still sitting there at 53. Glazer is reporting that Ogbuehi was the Bengals target for weeks, they must really like him.

I guess I will wait to see how the rest of the draft falls out before I jump to criticize.

Bengals feel he was a top 5 pick if not injured. He may be but what pisses me off is now we get a guy who won't even see the field. This team needs help now

It's cool 2016 is the year that's why Marvin was extended,I don't mind the pic we do need help else where but thing is a long term pick,hopefully the next few picks have help us now.

Really they should have traded down if they wanted him

It's always been said by the coaching staff that they WEREN'T looking for a player to come in and play this year. On that basis this pick does exactly what it says on the tin!

I can't say I'm at all enamoured with this pick. Coming off of ACL there's a risk he'll never be the player he was nor fulfil the potential the Bengals see in him.

Look at the players taken after him - Bud Dupree, Shane Ray, DJ Humphries, Shaq Thompson, Clemmings, Philip Dorsett, Malcolm Brown ...I think the Bengals could well have dropped the ball here, only time will tell.

Overview of Ogbeuhi taken from the Goodberry spreadsheet :-

Reportedly hard to coach.

Lazy in his mechanics.

Doesn't seem overly interested in the nitty gritty aspects of blocking.

When everything clicks, he's talented but it's too far and few between you actually see it come together.

*points deducted for character issues.

Played much better at RT vs Auburn than any game at LT. Showed much better feet and ability

Still not a good power run blocker. Punch is still absent, carries his hands low and shoots them wide.

Definitely limited to RT.

Good athlete. Has balance and good form.

DRAFT PROJECTION: ROUND 3

I wonder if the strategy with this pick is RT or RG rather than Whitworths eventual replacement at LT ??

I cant argue with any of the posts here, about picking a player with no chance of helping this season. I will wait until next season to be to harsh on this pick though. If he shows the talent that would have made him a top ten pick if healthy, he will be a great addition to 2016.

I am giving this pick a B-. Would have liked an OT that could at least provide some depth this season, while learning.

Glad I fell asleep and missed most of the draft.

I simply can't fathom taking a guy that will start the season on the PUP when Malcom Brown was sitting there.

How do you have a higher grade on a guy that is injured over a guy that could make an impact THIS season ??

I don't really care about Shaq, Perriman (I think will bust), or some of the others really.

That being said, I would have zero problems with Ogbuhei in the 2nd round.

I also get that you have both Whit and Moobs coming into free agency.

If Ogbuhei turns into what they think he will, no one will complain later, but for now it looks silly.

Bengals line was pretty terrible when Smith went down, and sometimes when Smith was there, too. A good run blocker makes sense, given the QB. I do understand the sentiment, and look forward to watching Ced

but I would have taken Malcom Brown and retired Peko. The defense has laid playoff eggs for years (even worse than would be expected out of the offense) and needs turnover to get to the next level.

I know it's a WR draft, but I'm looking for defense today

People love to bash Dalton for the playoff losses and he rightfully shares some of the responsibility, but the fact the defense has laid playoff eggs seemingly gets overlooked. Peko has been here for each of those as well, was noted for his less than average play the past year, and gets a pass.

What Malcom Brown could have given the defense this season is light years above what Ogbuhei will give the offense.

I know it's a look to the future, but I don't see Whit going anywhere and don't think he should.

Dre on the other hand is replaceable, but Ogbuhei is considered the prototypical LT.

Just not thrilled at this point. Hopefully things will pan out, but not thrilled at all.

I simply can't fathom taking a guy that will start the season on the PUP when Malcom Brown was sitting there.

How do you have a higher grade on a guy that is injured over a guy that could make an impact THIS season ??

I don't really care about Shaq, Perriman (I think will bust), or some of the others really.

If Ogbuhei turns into what they think he will, no one will complain later, but for now it looks silly.

I was really glad they did not pick Perriman, after hearing him talk. He just does not seem like a very smart kid and the exact opposite personality of AJ. I also think he has a high chance of going BUST.

I wanted a dominant WR. For me, that solves the Dalton issue. If he can't do it with Green and Dominant #2 then everyone, including MB, will want rid of him.

There are still WR's there capable of helping that situation and I think they will address it.

I'm curious how far DBG falls in the 2nd.

Like Ogbuhei, they brought him in for a visit.

I was really glad they did not pick Perriman, after hearing him talk. He just does not seem like a very smart kid and the exact opposite personality of AJ. I also think he has a high chance of going BUST.

Usually when you watch highlights (I know it's not game tape) there is something that stands out about a player.

Look at highlights from many of the top WR prospects and you can just see it.

Perriman ?? Not so much outside of speed. I know that can't be taught, but I just didn't care for him much.

I wanted a dominant WR. For me, that solves the Dalton issue. If he can't do it with Green and Dominant #2 then everyone, including MB, will want rid of him.

I don't see it. Bengals rarely fold a bad hand; they double down. If a second WR doesn't solve problem, they draft a third. A top offensive line that drives the running game may be the better solution.

speaking of running games, that Tevin Coleman is really quite a player... 2000 yards for a terrible Indiana team starting a fifth string QB; 200+ yards vs Ohio State. Bengals with three running backs? Gio returning punts and kicks? Talking heads would explode

I haven't bothered to read the comments here. I'm assuming they're mostly negative?

Anyway, I'm very pleased with the pick assuming his injury recovery is going well. We have two premier OL heading into contract years. So, we get one of the best OTs in the draft to keep the bus rolling once the contract situations start to shake out.

It's hard to adjust to...the Bengals being a team where they don't NEED their first rounder to come in and produce right away. It's a luxury. Hopefully it all pans out and we just got ourselves a top 10 OT at #21.

I haven't bothered to read the comments here. I'm assuming they're mostly negative?

Anyway, I'm very pleased with the pick assuming his injury recovery is going well. We have two premier OL heading into contract years. So, we get one of the best OTs in the draft to keep the bus rolling once the contract situations start to shake out.

It's hard to adjust to...the Bengals being a team where they don't NEED their first rounder to come in and produce right away. It's a luxury. Hopefully it all pans out and we just got ourselves a top 10 OT at #21.

But isn't that a but presumptive for a team that hasn't gotten past that first round playoff game? Seems like work still to be done, improvements to be made. In fact, isn't it evety team's objective to get an impact player in r1?

There were lots of heard scratches across the league, another WR for Luck, Gurley to the Rams when they have decent backs, another OT for the Saints who are stocked... I see your point but I think it comes down to the player they selected. An injured guy who graded out pretty high but it's all pure conjecture.

I see it as a luxury pick, for a team with some gaping holes that really doesn't have the luxury to waste a real chance to improve mightily with a smart r1 pick, maybe Malcolm Brown or Shane Ray or Dupree, or a guy who can very likely contribute to winning that playoff game that has eluded them.

I'm warming to the pick now but I don't see the wisdom, considering what else could have been had.

I think that's EXACTLY why folk are feeling very negative - it IS a luxury. We're in a position whereby an OT can sit and learn for a year ..... so why not take a player that will conrtibute to improving the team THIS year (Dupree, Brown, etc) and draft your project OT in a later round - after all this draft is deep for Oline. Chances are the same player would've been there in the 2nd round given his ACL injury.

I'm still of the view this pick sucks donkey balls.

According to Bleacher Report the Bengals 2nd pick is predicted as being DT Carl Davis ... if (and yes I know it's a big IF) that scenario plays out we could have Ogbeuhi and Davis in the fold rather than Malcolm Brown and Ogbeuhi.

Obviously we don't know how the team views the other players we all covet.

They obviously don't feel they need to upgrade the DE spot and probably view MJ as the solution to that problem, so no Shane Ray.

Maybe they didn't think Dupree could transition to the OLB spot they need.

Shaq Thompson is all sorts of questions in regards to what position he plays.

I think it boils down to fit, but I still can't fathom passing on Malcom Brown.

Geno at what percent?, Fat Pat, Domata "leadership" Peko, Thompson, and Still.

You can't upgrade that ??

Again, I would have been thrilled with Ogbuhei in the 2nd, but am not convinced he would be there at our pick.

I just think it's a bit of a reach. Not 100% piss poor, but a risk nonetheless.

CJ mentioning that Cards wanted to trade up but Bengals declined. According to draft pick value chart, Bengals probably would have asked for Cards' 4th and possibly 7th round pick for trading down three spots

Maybe Ced gets plucked before Bengals would have picked, but the DT Macolm Brown would have been available. I do think that all decent offensive tackles could be gone before Bengals' 2nd round selection.

food for thought.

I think the Bengals saw what they viewed as a top 10 talent at #21. If you're going by BPA, then that's your pick.

I'm also assuming that they're looking at the talent gap at all positions. Maybe they feel a 2nd round WR or DT isn't that much different than what was available in the first.