Kingwilly Mock v1.0

kingwilly

r1 - 21 - Kenny Vaccaro - Safety - Texas - lots of superlatives for Kenny but what makes most sense is his combination of football instincts and ability that merit this choice. Since Bengals focus on hybrid S position, he is a great fit, as he is not a true SS.

r2 - 37 - Barrett Jones - C/OG - Alabama - Will be be there in r2? If so, they can't pass him up. Foot injury could mean he is still there. Super versatile, very smart, and very good in a movement scheme. Can take on big boys in SEC. Make sure the foot is doing well, and we might have our next starting C or LG.

r2 - 53 - Denard Robinson - WR/KR/QB - Michigan - Luxiry Pick. Undeniable skills and ability. Could be ultimate playmaker/game changer. Would raise the level of ability at WR and RB to another level. Also can cover QB in a pinch. Someone will take him early and exploit his ability, might as well be the Bengals.

r3 - 84 - Kevin Reddick - LB - NC State - super versatile LB, strong blitzer, kind of a Von Miller type player.

r4 - TBD - Le'Veon Bell - RB - Michigan St. - big strong back who can get yards, reliable and tough. Perfect for AFCN football. With him and RObinson, means Scott and Peerman are expendable. Rminds me of a bigger, stronger Corey Dillon.

r5 - TBD - Travis Kelce - TE - Cincinnati - this might not fly but Kelce was one of my guys this last year. I'd like him to get a shot to be in stripes. We need TE depth, and I've never felt Gresham lived up to his draft status.

r6 - TBD - Michael Buchanan - OLB/DE - Illinois - good support player, looking for a place to play. 5th in nation among DE's in total productivity, and against Big 10 opposition. High upside guy, just what you want in r6.

See, this is why I say I don't think there will be much to complain about come the draft.

There are so many ways they could go and so many players that would positively impact us, it will be hard to mess up.

Love the Vaccaro pick.

Hate the Robinson pick. No questioning his athletic ability, but does nothing for me at this level.

I wouldn't complain about Reddick either, but want to see a LB earlier in this draft.

Bell seems like a back with a TON of mileage on him, but I could be thinking of another RB.

I also would complain about Kelce.

Buchanan is a DE that I think will jump up draft boards and really like him as well.

Like I said, hard to complain about much.

Minus that Robinson pick. :P

In an interview with the Detroit Free Press, an unnamed scout said of Denard Robinson at the Senior Bowl, "Not good. I think he took himself from a 3rd or 4th round pick down to a 6th or 7th round pick." Most sites have him in the 6th round range and if we decided to take a flier on him in the 6th great...in the second I would probably throw up my nachos. Taking a guy who is transitioning to a new position in the NFL high is a recipe for the unemployment line.

I am fine with Vaccaro in the first, he would probably be my third defensive player on my Bengals board behind Jarvis Jones and Dion Jordan.

I obviously love the Barrett Jones pick and it is possible that he is there with our first selection in the 2nd, but by not taking him in the first you run the risk of losing him 3-4 selections ahead of our position and just like last year where we had the same dilema with Zeitler I think it safer to take Jones early, just my opinion you could be 100% correct.

Like Reddick and Bell but to call Bell a stronger Corey Dillon is a bit preposterous IMHO. I do not see the need for Kelce, where is he going to play? You are not going to start Kelce over Gresham or Charles, so you are going to spend a 5th round selection for a third string TE? Not a fan. Buchanan is shooting up draft boards but if he is there in the 6th snap him up like Prime Rib at a $1 dinner buffet, I think it more likely he sneaks into the 1st. Also we have a 2nd 6th round selection.

See, this is why I say I don't think there will be much to complain about come the draft.

There are so many ways they could go and so many players that would positively impact us, it will be hard to mess up.

Oh, c'mon, where's your faith in this organization? How about...

1 Keenan Allen, WR, Cal – I will wail and gnash my teeth but to no avail. The Bengals can’t pass up arguably the best WR in the draft. And as aggravating as it is to admit Allen would make a great pairing with AJ Green. With these two on the field, Dalton has no more excuses (unless of course Jay decides to game-plan around Jermaine Gresham…).

2a Giovani Bernard, RB, North Carolina – I still say this is too early and good backs can be had throughout the draft but everybody loves them some Bernard right here so I may as well just go with the crowd.

2b Margus Hunt, DE, SMU – Just think, he’s 26, after his rookie deal he’ll already be 30 and Mikey won’t have to pay him!

3 T.J. McDonald, S, USC – a big reach has Kiper bringing up Levi Jones again.

4 Zac Dysert, QB, Miami (Ohio) – in a bid to put some pressure on Andy Dalton to improve, the Bengals threaten to replace him with the next Andy Dalton.

5 Another wide receiver who will spend the next two years on the taxi squad before being cut.

6 Another offensive lineman who will spend the next two years on the taxi squad before being cut.

• 2 weeks later...

r1 - 21 - Kenny Vaccaro - Safety - Texas - lots of superlatives for Kenny but what makes most sense is his combination of football instincts and ability that merit this choice. Since Bengals focus on hybrid S position, he is a great fit, as he is not a true SS.

r2 - 37 - Barrett Jones - C/OG - Alabama - Will be be there in r2? If so, they can't pass him up. Foot injury could mean he is still there. Super versatile, very smart, and very good in a movement scheme. Can take on big boys in SEC. Make sure the foot is doing well, and we might have our next starting C or LG.

r2 - 53 - Denard Robinson - WR/KR/QB - Michigan - Luxiry Pick. Undeniable skills and ability. Could be ultimate playmaker/game changer. Would raise the level of ability at WR and RB to another level. Also can cover QB in a pinch. Someone will take him early and exploit his ability, might as well be the Bengals.

r3 - 84 - Kevin Reddick - LB - NC State - super versatile LB, strong blitzer, kind of a Von Miller type player.

r4 - TBD - Le'Veon Bell - RB - Michigan St. - big strong back who can get yards, reliable and tough. Perfect for AFCN football. With him and RObinson, means Scott and Peerman are expendable. Rminds me of a bigger, stronger Corey Dillon.

r5 - TBD - Travis Kelce - TE - Cincinnati - this might not fly but Kelce was one of my guys this last year. I'd like him to get a shot to be in stripes. We need TE depth, and I've never felt Gresham lived up to his draft status.

r6 - TBD - Michael Buchanan - OLB/DE - Illinois - good support player, looking for a place to play. 5th in nation among DE's in total productivity, and against Big 10 opposition. High upside guy, just what you want in r6.

Updating a bit. Couple of moves on my wish list.

r1 - Matt Elam - S - Florida - I think he could be a better NFL safety in Zimmers scheme. Really jumps out on tape and showed serious ability during combine. His football instinct is obvious. I'd love to see this guy in stripes...

r3 - Option... Cornelius Washington - LB - Georgia ... on a team stacked with LB talent, Washington blew his cover during combine by shining in about every drill, and showed there is more than what's shown from him on tape.

r5 - Landry Jones - I think he got bored in college. Should have come out last year. Didn't have best season but still is NFL talent just waiting for the next level. Not a bad guy to have waiting in case Andy is hurt or regresses...

• 3 weeks later...

Updating, now that FA has been rolling on:

r1 - 21 - Matt Elam - S - Florida - I think he could be a better NFL safety in Zimmers scheme. Really jumps out on tape and showed serious ability during combine. His football instinct is obvious. I'd love to see this guy in stripes...

Alternate pick: Keenan Allen - WR - California : would be an excellent compliment to AJ Green and Sanu...

r2 - 37 - Barrett Jones - C/OG - Alabama - Will be be there in r2? If so, they can't pass him up. Foot injury could mean he is still there. Super versatile, very smart, and very good in a movement scheme. Can take on big boys in SEC. Make sure the foot is doing well, and we might have our next starting C or LG. Comment: this may be a reach, depending on health of his foot.

r2 - 53 - Justin Hunter - WR - Tennessee - nfldraftscout.com - Strengths: Hunter is a tall, long athlete with an exception catching radius and reach. He is a fluid, gliding mover with long strides and deceiving speed to get vertical or make plays after the catch. He has strong footwork in/out of his breaks with sharp route quickness to sell patterns and create some separation. He tracks the ball beautifully, adjusting with outstanding body control. This guy's talent/status coming out reminds me of a much bigger Chad Johnson - huge talent and very green. Might not last to #53.

Comment: If they take Keenan Allen in r1, then I suspect they would look at S or LB here in r2. Maybe a guy like Jonathan Cyprien, FS Florida International

r3 - 84 - Cornelius Washington - LB - Georgia ... on a team stacked with LB talent, Washington blew his cover during combine by shining in about every drill, and showed there is more than what's shown from him on tape.

r4 - 118 - Le'Veon Bell - RB - Michigan St. - big strong back who can get yards, reliable and tough. Perfect for AFCN football. With him and RObinson, means Scott and Peerman are expendable. Rminds me of a bigger, stronger Corey Dillon.

r5 - 156 - Sanders Comings - CB - Georgia - versatile, tweener type CB: nfldraftscout.com says: STRENGTHS: Despite weighing heavier than anticipated at the Senior Bowl, Commings has a lean, athletic upper body, thick lower-half and surprisingly loose hips. He is at his best locked up in press-man coverage. Often extends one arm to gauge which direction the receiver is leaning, while turning to run. He shows good balance and at least moderate straight-line speed to continue with receivers throughout the route.

r6 - 190 - Kenjon Barner - RB - Oregon - ideal thrid down back. Needs to work on protections but he has more talent and upside than Boom Herron or Bernard Scott.

r6 - 197 - Omoregie Uzzi - OG - Georgia Tech .... OL depth. 2012 COACHES ALL-ACC FOOTBALL FIRST TEAM - from nfldraftscout.com: Explosive, quick athlete for his size. Comes off the ball fast, and displays athleticism to get to the second level quickly. Adjusts nicely on the run to pickup incoming defenders. Establishes low leverage effectively to anchor against the bull rush. Effective cut-blocker - something he did with great regularity in Georgia Tech's run-heavy system.

r7 - 240 - Robert Lester - SS - Alabama nfldraftscout.com says: STRENGTHS: Possesses a long, lean build well-suited to today's pass-happy NFL. Reads the quarterback's eyes and is a smooth accelerator, showing a burst to close on underneath routes. Times his leaps well in jump-ball situations and extends his arms to make a play at its highest point. Excellent ball skills, including the ability to track the ball over his shoulder, extend to catch away from his frame and the ability to sneak his hands under the ball to corral pass deflections.

r7 - 251 - Etienne Sabino - LB - Ohio State - CBSsports.com says: Strengths: Athletic frame and flies all over the field with excellent range and the chase skills to catch the ballcarrier from behind. Athletic blitzer and is at his best downhill, working hard to shed blocks with adequate strength and length. Type of player who lacks the instincts and consistency to start at the next level, but could be a late-round pick and core special teams player

I think Elam can be had quite a bit later, but we'll see :-)

I don't want to see a WR taken til 5 or later....have some faith in Mo and Jones

I obviously love the Barret Jones pick but think his lisfranc injury will make him last a bit longer, possibly even into r3....but I understand taking him earlier to absolutely ensure he's there

If Elam makes it to the Bengals pick in the 2nd, it would be the steal of the draft.

He's the #1 rated SS in the draft.

Barrett to start the season on the PUP has people thinking he will be there in the 3rd and maybe to the 4th.

I would have zero problem taking him in the 2nd round still.

If Elam makes it to the Bengals pick in the 2nd, it would be the steal of the draft.

I generally see Vaccaro rated higher, and and some folks like Cyprien better than Elam

I'm not a huge fan of any of the safeties available, but Elam at least has some speed

Barrett to start the season on the PUP has people thinking he will be there in the 3rd and maybe to the 4th.

I would have zero problem taking him in the 2nd round still.

Yeah, I like the lower of the 2 r2 picks to get him, but I would understand the earlier Carson pick as insurance

I generally see Vaccaro rated higher, and and some folks like Cyprien better than Elam

I'm not a huge fan of any of the safeties available, but Elam at least has some speed

Vaccaro is a free safety and from everything i've read about him (I can't say as I saw more than 2 Longhorns games last season) he's less capable of being that interchangeable type of safety the Bengals say they want. Elam is the #1 rated SS in this draft and it really isn't as close as some might want to say. I did watch more than my fair share of Florida games this year (more due to who they were playing) and Elam was everywhere. He's also noted as being capable of being a player that can play both spots rather easily.

For what it's worth, the player I think is closer to someone than most might think is Rambo compared to Vaccaro.

Rambo has size, speed, and is a monster ballhawk. He's also noted as that interchangeable type.

His issues are what is pushing him down, but i'd be good with those in the 3rd round.

If there was no doubt he would be there in the 3rd for us, I would rather they wait and get him as opposed to the others.

I would be more than happy with what I think Elam could do in our defense as well and Vaccaro comes after that.

I don't know what it is about Vaccaro, but he does next to nothing for me. Crazy I know, but there it is.