Marvin Jones Out 3-4 Weeks

HoosierCat

Per bengals.com. According to Lewis he was supposed to be a big part of last night's game plan, which of course begs the question of exactly why the hell you have him out there on teams, but never mind.

So...who's up for Keenan Allen in the first next April?

Seriously, for someone we've seen so little of, how is all of sudden such a huge part of the game plan ??

Short answer: desperation. Despite going through most of the wideouts on the roster not named Green, no one has stepped up to take the No. 2 WR slot. About the only guy who hasn't gotten a serious look is Sanu, so expect that when they come off the bye.

Seriously, for someone we've seen so little of, how is all of sudden such a huge part of the game plan ??

Short answer: desperation. Despite going through most of the wideouts on the roster not named Green, no one has stepped up to take the No. 2 WR slot. About the only guy who hasn't gotten a serious look is Sanu, so expect that when they come off the bye.

That would be smart but how many times do you hear smart associated with Bengal coaches? My guess is they'll make some excuse about Sanu being only a slot player and can't learn the #2 position in two weeks...

My short answer would include the word BULLSH*T.

If they don't want to involve Sanu in the passing game, use him in the backfield more.

Do something, but utilize his quickness. Wasn't Scott suppose to be the quick, elusive guy out of the backfield ??

To quote Eddie Murphy's character from Coming to America who sits in the barbershop:

"AH-HA"...

My short answer would include the word BULLSH*T.

If they don't want to involve Sanu in the passing game, use him in the backfield more.

Do something, but utilize his quickness. Wasn't Scott suppose to be the quick, elusive guy out of the backfield ??

To quote Eddie Murphy's character from Coming to America who sits in the barbershop:

"AH-HA"...

But that's more of Marvin Lewis' "can't" attitude. Everything has an exception or that's just "the way it is". Just as there is an excuse to still have Malalaooga out there...still not have an answer to the running game...not make halftime adjustments...

I thought he was the guy who said "find a way".

Must have been someone else.

Do something

Oh, rest assured they will. You know how this will play out:

For the next five or so games the Bengals will limp along trying to make it work with guys like Tate and Binns and BJGE and Gresham. And they'll win a game, maybe two, but by December they will have piled up 7 or 8 losses and will be all but mathematically eliminated from postseason contention.

Then come about week 14 it all changes. Jones and Sanu suddenly get on the field. Orson Charles' snaps surpass Jermaine's. BJGE is relegated to short-yardage duties while Peerman (and maybe even Boom Herron) starts running through guys. The Bengals close out the season with a 3 or 4-game DCB while we are all screaming about how the coaches are morons for not playing these guys sooner.

Where the F is Binns? Where is Tate?

Suddenly making Whalen and Jones the focus? Looks like confusion reigns.... COnsidering how long they sat on Simpson, how can we be surprised. Given that, Marvin Jones could have ended up the next Stevie Johnson.

This team is a shambles. A f**king wreck in a manure field.

holy f**k, no 3rd down conversions in second half.

how the f**k does that even happen.... Gruden, change your gameplan. get f**king creative you idiot.

...staggering

I don't know go back and look at the last two games did they even convert any then? I'm sorry but Gruden blows, and needs to go back coaching the UFL! Three weeks of the worst game planning ever, not to mention everything he promised for this offense had not been seen! This team is not going to win continuously with this coaching staff!

how the f**k does that even happen.... Gruden, change your gameplan. get f**king creative you idiot.

...staggering

I don't know go back and look at the last two games did they even convert any then? I'm sorry but Gruden blows, and needs to go back coaching the UFL! Three weeks of the worst game planning ever, not to mention everything he promised for this offense had not been seen! This team is not going to win continuously with this coaching staff!

where did the gameplanning go that showed up in Washington, and Jax? Very few plays in those games I second guessed. All I can think is he found some of Brat's old notbooks in a storage closet and is using them. Someone needs to go through Gruden's office and collet all those things and burn them.

The inability to convert on 3rd down is beyond ridiculous.

Yet another situation that cannot be tolerated.

It's many things, but that one kills me.

Better hope they do something on 1st and 2nd down, because you know how it's going to end. Couple that with never taking shots downfield and it's no wonder how their banged up secondary was constantly able to jump routes and disrupt things.

...staggering

where did the gameplanning go that showed up in Washington, and Jax? Very few plays in those games I second guessed. All I can think is he found some of Brat's old notbooks in a storage closet and is using them. Someone needs to go through Gruden's office and collet all those things and burn them.

You mean the team that started the game on a WR to WR TD? Or the one that tried a fake FG later that half?

They're on the bench, which is one step away from where they belong: on the street. They're f*cking junk, man.

Suddenly making Whalen and Jones the focus? Looks like confusion reigns.... COnsidering how long they sat on Simpson, how can we be surprised. Given that, Marvin Jones could have ended up the next Stevie Johnson.

Yup, but we sort of saw this coming when they kept seven wideouts. That was an admission they had no clear No. 2 and now we know why: because they have no No. 2.

WR in the first next April. You can chisel it in stone right now.

They're on the bench, which is one step away from where they belong: on the street. They're f*cking junk, man.

Yup, but we sort of saw this coming when they kept seven wideouts. That was an admission they had no clear No. 2 and now we know why: because they have no No. 2.

WR in the first next April. You can chisel it in stone right now.

How do they go from being effective to being on the bench? baffled.

That perhaps they were over their heads, thats fine but to toss in Whalen and Jones, for this week against this opponent, is either mis-management or exemplary of how badly they were over their heads.

I'm just stunned.

I called for an experienced vet FA, but no. I was excited they had some talent at WR, especially how they played in the first quarter of the season...now, they have totally lost the plot.

good god.

Tate was never effective. Through 7 games he has a whopping 88 yards receiving. Binns had a couple good games but defenses quickly figured out he couldn't beat one-on-one coverage. They tried to go to Hawkins but his size is a liability downfield (and now for some reason they seem to have forgotten he exists). Whalen at least had some actual NFL experience coming into the season and his 31 yards last night puts him on pace to pass Tate in about 2 games. But no, he isn't the answer, he's a slot guy. I actually applauded the move to put Jones in; I've been yelling for him for weeks. The guy can fly and he doesn't need to do anything complex. He just needs to be Chris Henry for 7-10 snaps a game: run like hell down the sideline when the ball is snapped and keep the defense from quintuple covering Green.

But yeah, it's a nightmare. I wasn't on the vet FA bandwagon but in hindsight I should have been.

I was on the vet WR bandwagon and remember starting a thread about the Packers James Jones, who made a comment about wanting to be more involved. He's put up similar numbers as Hawkins has but with 7 receiving TD's, which would tie for the team lead with Green. I still think that would have been a good move.

That being said, it's a mute point now and they may as well keep going with the youth movement so they can better assess where they are come the end of the season. I think figuring that out will help them get an idea of how high they draft WR next year, because you know it's coming.

• 2 weeks later...

I was all for more Marvin Jones.

But I was that way going back to camp. So this was late, already, in my opinion.

Which brings me back to Hoosier's point in the initial post of this thread.

If Marvin Jones is a big part of your gameplan for the night, why in holy f**k was he receiving the ball on teams to start the game. I would fire Lewis on the spot for that decision if I were the owner. He would have been gone on Monday. Why expose what you said was an important part of your gameplan to the risk of injury on teams?