Zimmer Linked to HC Jobs in Tampa, Miami

HoosierCat

Zimmer reportedly generating interest all over Florida.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/1/9/2693563/bengals-coach-mike-zimmer-a-candidate-for-head-coaching-position-in

I think I'd actually be more OK with losing Zimmer vs. Gruden, though I would rather not see either leave.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The team is in good position if they do lose 1 or both coordinators. Alot of young talent, winning team this past seaon. Alot of other "Gruden type" coordinators (both offensive and defensive) out there would like to coach here. Especially with an offense with AJ and Dalton leading it. Not worried at all.

Reedy tweeted that Jack Del Rio could be a possible replacement. I was disappointed in the D in the playoffs as always. Not sure if it's the scheme or the players.

He was supposedly on the short list in KC but it looks like Romeo will get the job instead.

Zim's definitely the best defensive coordinator we've had under Marvin, but I don't think he is indispensable. I'd obviously rather he stay than not for continuity's sake, but if he does snag a head coaching job then good for him. Just make sure his replacement adheres to a similar defensive mentality -- no soft zone Bresnehan types.

Im actully ok with losing Zimmer. I have enjoyed him here, and has done a wonderful job, but at the same time i just feel like the defense is never consistant. They were so good in the begining of the year against the run, but at they end they just really sucked. They also were very poor on tackling and covering TEs still! So im ok if Zimmer leaves, and i will wish him much luck. Now i love the fact if Jack Del Rio comes here for the DC, he Marvin are really good friends who date back to there superbowl defense in Balt.

What if Hue gets canned in Oakland ??

Any interest with him as the OC ??

Not sure how to feel about that...

It's looking like Hue will be retained in Oakland but if not then I would like to have him here with the stipulation that Dalton isn't Carson--don't try to make him into someone he's not. I think Hue could put together a nice offense for Andy.

This evening on ESPN they mentioned several candidates as HC in Tampa and Mike Zimmer was not on their list. Off the top of my head I think it included Marty S., Mike Sherman, Wade Phillips and one other person that escapes me right now. The theme of the discussion was that these guys are all retreads and that they got burned going with a virtual unknown in Raheem Morris two years ago. It sounds like they are looking for someone that is stable and has some type of proven track record (even if it is mediocre).

Also, Jay Gruden was live and in person at the Bengalsline show with Lap and Lance this evening. I didn't get to hear anything noteworthy while I was in the car listening to it. I'm not sure if they asked him about any interviews or potential job offers while he was there.

What if Hue gets canned in Oakland ??

Any interest with him as the OC ??

Not sure how to feel about that...

It's looking like Hue will be retained in Oakland but if not then I would like to have him here with the stipulation that Dalton isn't Carson--don't try to make him into someone he's not. I think Hue could put together a nice offense for Andy.

Hue Jackson, now available.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/10/raiders-fire-hue-jackson/

L

M

A

O

I hope the dolphins dont take forever making there pick, the longer Zim waits the worse for the bengals to get a replacement if he does leave. I would love jack del rio, but i think we all know he might not be around forever, so i hope the dolphins make a choice quick.

Who is Alabama DC from what i saw last night thats the kind of defense i want, they were aggresive all game it was just awsome. Somebody like that would be great for this team!

I thought Fitzgerald wanted to leave last year, i wonder if he still does. I just like the thought of Jack Del Rio and Marvin on the same team figuring something out with the defense, and why they have been so inconsistant every year. I think Jack would be an awsome LB coach, but who knows.

Fisher chose St. Louis. Zimmer in the mix for both the Miami and Tampa jobs.

If he goes, Reedy sez the top in-house candidate with be Kevin Coyle. If they go outside, Jack Del Rio tops the list.

Zimmer has done good work in Cincy but I think we'd be OK if he left.

I'd like to see him stay. I think he has improved the toughness and accountability for this team and has probably improved the defensive scouting of college prospects during his time here too But yes we would probably survive his departure.

Interesting that Coyles name was brought up though. Never really gave him a thought.

One thing that concerns me if Zimmer leaves is the potential for regression. I am worried that guys are going to think they got it made after a good year this season and have the big drop off as in years past. At least Zimmer isn't afraid to challenge guys to get better.

I'd like to see him stay. I think he has improved the toughness and accountability for this team and has probably improved the defensive scouting of college prospects during his time here too But yes we would probably survive his departure.

Interesting that Coyles name was brought up though. Never really gave him a thought.

One thing that concerns me if Zimmer leaves is the potential for regression. I am worried that guys are going to think they got it made after a good year this season and have the big drop off as in years past. At least Zimmer isn't afraid to challenge guys to get better.

While i agree with what your saying, and Zim did an awsome job with this defense, and i do like Zim alot, but i kept feeling like his defense was so inconsistant. They start out so strong, but as the year goes on they degress. They start missing tackles, not staying in there right gaps things they were not doing in the begining of the year. So im really not sure whos to blame on that, but it seems every year they always do this.

With that said good luck to Zim and if he comes back great, maybe he can take the defense to the next level and play consistant through out the year, if not then good luck to him if he gets a HC job somewhere.

Give me a guy in Del Rio who i think would be pretty good fit here, but if this drags on i can see him going to Atlanta.