When they leave...they get better

ShulaSteakhouse

Huh, kinda like Mike Goff, goes to the Pro Bowl in 2 years after going to San Diego, and Mathis is all of a sudden a starter in Philly and doing very well. I wonder why they would leave here and "then" develop? I wonder why the Bengals' guards and centers constantly suck, and most of the draft picks don't develop?

Who was the last o-lineman here to go to a Pro Bowl? Willie Anderson? I wonder why that is?

/>http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/eagles-talk/post/OL-Mathis-hopes-he-found-home-with-Birds?blockID=620884&feedID=3041

Huh, kinda like Mike Goff, goes to the Pro Bowl in 2 years after going to San Diego, and Mathis is all of a sudden a starter in Philly and doing very well. I wonder why they would leave here and "then" develop? I wonder why the Bengals' guards and centers constantly suck, and most of the draft picks don't develop?

Who was the last o-lineman here to go to a Pro Bowl? Willie Anderson? I wonder why that is?

/>http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/eagles-talk/post/OL-Mathis-hopes-he-found-home-with-Birds?blockID=620884&feedID=3041

They all get better? Really? Where did Ghiacuic get better? Levi? Willie? Steinbach? Some guys like Mathis have found homes elsewhere but it's hardly the rule you're trying to make it.

Their center sucks? Bullcrap.

Virtually everyone thinks Whit not making the Pro Bowl this year is one of the AFCs biggest snubs. Flesh-Z has been improving. When he was needed because of injuries to Smith, Collins stepped in and did well. Do they need better guards? Yes -- but that's no secret.

Continue your jihad against Paul Alexander if you wish but it looks increasingly silly to me.

I guess you missed the other thread talking about how Kyle Cook is one of the best centers in the league. And we also have Whitworth who would have already been to several pro bowls were he to play for another team.

I get that everyone loves bashing our o-line, and more specifically, Alexander, but let's not be selective about our observations.

Livings may not be great... but he was an undrafted FA who has served as a stop-gap for 3 seasons now. If you don't like him... blame the lack of quality depth behind him (Boling was even worse).

Cook was also an undrafted FA... and has quietly become one of the best Centers in the NFL. (You'll do well to remember that Richie Braham also became one of the best Centers in the NFL under Alexander).

While we're talking about how awesome guys are after they leave Cincinnati... how about Stacy Andrews? He was a project when he was drafted. He had only played in a handful of games in college, and didn't even play in highschool. He came to Cincinnati and the Bengals taught him the ropes.

The Bengals finally taught him enough that they gave him the job at RT in favor of Willie Anderson. He got injured... but the Eagles were still impressed enough with him to give him a 6-year $38.9 million contract. What did he accomplish with the Eagles? He got benched in favor of a fat tub of goo (Jean-Gilles), traded after restructuring his deal, and the released by the Seahawks and Giants.

It seems like Alexander got way more out of him than anyone else could.

Currently, the Bengals O-Line have allowed the 3rd fewest sacks in the NFL this year. So your attempt to bash this team comes at a very odd time, as they are playing in a meaningful game this Sunday... not to mention that your bias and selective memory do serious damage to your credibility.

Actully Mathis has not had that great of a year. I live near the philly area, my brother is a huge philly fan and says Mathis is not that great.

Mathis has not had that great of a year. I live near the philly area, my brother is a huge philly fan and says Mathis is not that great.

I think Mathis is more or less the same as he was here. He was a very good pass blocker, who was a liability in the running game. Based on what the Bengals were doing in '09... Livings was more appropriate.

Mathis is still very good in pass protection, which probably fits very well with what they want to do in Philly. For my part, I want a guy who can do both (DeCastro).

Mathis has not had that great of a year. I live near the philly area, my brother is a huge philly fan and says Mathis is not that great.

I think Mathis is more or less the same as he was here. He was a very good pass blocker, who was a liability in the running game. Based on what the Bengals were doing in '09... Livings was more appropriate.

Mathis is still very good in pass protection, which probably fits very well with what they want to do in Philly. For my part, I want a guy who can do both (DeCastro).

Sure Mathis is not a bad o-lineman, and he does a pretty good job in the pass game. He is just not a "great" o-lineman!

We have busted on Livings many times here, and so have i, but if you go back and look he has had a few really good games, where i have seen him pull and get some great blocks. He is still not my favorite, and im ready for a new guard, but he has not been horrible all year.

but he has not been horrible all year.

Yup. Neither Livings nor any other Bengals starter has been consistently poor. The line collectively has had some poor games, no doubt, but all five of them (save perhaps for Cook whose name has rarely been heard at all from refs or commentators -- good thing) have been at fault at one point or another.

We could be doing much worse, and we have bigger problems.

Actully Mathis has not had that great of a year. I live near the philly area, my brother is a huge philly fan and says Mathis is not that great.

Your brother should probably take a second look, then, because Mathis is indeed having a fine year. In fact, PFF grades him higher than Mashal Yanda.

As some of the commenters on that post point out, Mathis was yet another player who just wanted out of Cincy. It sucks to lose his talent but getting rid of the guys who didn't want to be here was, IMO, much more important this year.

Your brother should probably take a second look, then, because Mathis is indeed having a fine year. In fact, PFF grades him higher than Mashal Yanda.

As some of the commenters on that post point out, Mathis was yet another player who just wanted out of Cincy. It sucks to lose his talent but getting rid of the guys who didn't want to be here was, IMO, much more important this year.

Mathis wanted out because he never got to play. In 09 he played musical OG with Livings, then Livings became the starter. So i could see why he wanted to leave here, but while he was here i wanted him to start...oh well.

As far as Mathis i really never watched him play in Philly, at least never watched just him.

I am an admitted Paul Alexander hater. I think he is very over rated and had not really developed too many guys along that offensive line. At the same time we don't seem to really invest a ton there either in terms of draft picks or FA's. I always found it curious how Mathis was playing over Livings and how difficult it has been for Collins to find the field.